Jump to content


No such thing as "Kill Steal..."


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

d_black_se #21 Posted Apr 29 2011 - 20:31

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 9724 battles
  • 208
  • [TB] TB
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010
OK  Both sides are a bit right.
1. Credits and XP are largely based off Damage done, not "who killed it".  But there is a small bonus for the killing shot.  
2. There are also several medals based on killing (Reaper, Top Gun, and several others (about 1/2)  
3. The bonus for a victory (50%) is awarded to the team, regardless of the number of dead tanks on the other side.

    So there is incentive to get the "kill shot".  Some clans will look at the number of kills you  have when joining.... but In my experience # of battle particiapted in, and % of victories are more important stats.

    If you're in a clan appyling for a leadership role and it comes down to your # of kills; either your clan has a short term view, or a surplus of great candidates.  I'd like to think they've played with you long enough to know if you're a good player or a great one, and have some idea how your leadership would be.  Clans are based on Team play, so as has been said above... some of the best players have few "kills" comparably

      Basically  don't get attached to "killing" any particular tank.  Every dead tank on the enemy team helps your team, and thus helps you personally.  Some times a "kill will get stolen" from you, and others, some team mate will plast the last piece off that monster trying to destroy your tank, saving your butt.  Both outcomes leave you alive to shoot another guy, so it's not all bad is it?

mutantmatt #22 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 14:00

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 34413 battles
  • 51
  • [CRZY] CRZY
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011
An enemy at 1% can kill you just as easy as a tank at 100%. If I have a shot I'm taking it regardless of who took the other 99%.

BadBadger #23 Posted May 03 2011 - 01:22

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 2118 battles
  • 21
  • Member since:
    10-30-2010

View PostSkyCop, on Apr 29 2011 - 12:09, said:

There is no I in TEAM.

Do I care who gets the kill after I whittle that brute down from 100% to 1%?  Nope.
One less gun firing at my team is a GOOD THING.  
I've gotten 45,000 credits and 2000+ XP without a kill in a few battles and while seeing a 4-8 next to my name might feel good,  my team winning feels even better!  :)


The Confederate medal says it all kids!

I agree with you, SkyCop!

I almost exclusively play arty. I recently watched an enemy "3-Striper" on the far side of the field get his ass whittled down to 4% (mostly due to my efforts) early in the game. I soon lost track of him, but wasn't at all worried because he was far away and badly wounded. That dude was done, as far as I was concerned. A bird crapping on him would have put him out of his misery!

Apparently, he (wisely) decided to sit things out for awhile. 5 minutes later, and toward the end of the match, that very same tenacious (and patient!) bastard sneaked up near our flag, and killed me and the other 2 members of my platoon. We lost! Ok, I did get pretty good points for that game, but would have had more had we won, and I had lived through it.

Do you think I, for even 1 second, would have given a shit if someone else had "stolen" my kill?!

Fortunately, since the days of closed beta, I am seeing fewer players whining about stolen kills. It takes time, but people seem to naturally figure out that team play truly is what the game is designed to foster. And I, for one, would like to thank every swinging dick who has ever come to my rescue by finishing off some "enemy bastard" who has put the hurt on me! STEAL AWAY, PEOPLE!

War! Out!

BadBadger #24 Posted May 03 2011 - 01:24

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 2118 battles
  • 21
  • Member since:
    10-30-2010

View Postmutantmatt, on Apr 30 2011 - 14:00, said:

An enemy at 1% can kill you just as easy as a tank at 100%. If I have a shot I'm taking it regardless of who took the other 99%.

Well said, mutantmatt!

War! Out!

LMG #25 Posted May 03 2011 - 03:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 2183 battles
  • 474
  • Member since:
    02-10-2011

View Postsweenytodd, on Apr 29 2011 - 09:09, said:

yes you are right, and personally i dont like it when i have worked to lure an enemy to a spot where he has no support, i take him down to 3% health and then the camper behind me finally decides to shoot and take the kill

in this game kills earn you prestige (not of the xbox kind) the kind of prestige that determines how much you are respected as a player. think about it, if you have 3k games and not one top gun what will people (particularly important when joining or trying for a leadership position in a clan) think of you as a player?  and so while it may have minimal impact on your experience earned, it does affect other aspects of the game
Well, what would you think of someone that has no top gun in over 4k battles, but has 50+ sniper medals, 20+ confederate medals, 15+ defender medals, etc.? A medal is just a medal; it only shows what you did in the past, not what you can do in the present nor the future. If you shoot someone down to 3%, you should be a better player than the one that got the kill. Just say "screw K/D ratio" and it will all be fine :Smile_great:

Doctuer #26 Posted May 03 2011 - 08:22

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 24518 battles
  • 746
  • Member since:
    07-19-2010
I don't care what anyone thinks about my choices, I do what benefits the team winning as often as possible. A lot will never realize this, but a lot of people are stupid. More than are not I will hazard a guess.

Included in this mindset of "help the team to win" are things like:

NOT parking behind someone so they cannot back up when they come under fire.
Do pay attention to the map state and if need be, go back to base to ping the cappers BEFORE it's too late.
Tracking the targets I can't kill ON PUROPOSE instead of damaging them, so the bigger guns CAN kill them more easily.
ALWAYS allow the guy next to you room to "do the shuffle" with you and try to time your "move and shoot" to happen when he backs up, keeping the target under constant fire and giving you both space to reload in sequence.

However, this mindset I speak of is not the predominant one in game I find. The predominant one is "me first and me better than you" so perhaps we just have to get used to it, because I don't think it's going away.

Ricox #27 Posted May 03 2011 - 13:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 3801 battles
  • 2,461
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
  • Member since:
    07-22-2010

View PostTao, on Apr 29 2011 - 08:42, said:

oh there is such a thing.  
There are people out there who go out of their way to steal a kill from someone, regardless if they could do something else to help the team.  The will hold their fire and wait until a tank which is under fire gets down low enough for them to kill with one shot.  They will hold their fire for so long that they could have fired 3 or 4 shots during that time.  They also will ignore enemies allowing them to proceed unchecked to the base, arty or other current weak spot.

And why would anyone do that? You don't get any bonuses from killing someone. Actually shooting to death the tank gives you more rewards than waiting for the last shot. Those people are simply stupid or they're trolling. And if they're trolling, then they fail at trolling, because none is suffering from the fact that they killed the tank. If you like that kill count so much, then go and play CS or a game where kills matter more.

MTanker #28 Posted May 03 2011 - 15:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 13697 battles
  • 300
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostDoctuer, on May 03 2011 - 08:22, said:

Included in this mindset of "help the team to win" are things like:

NOT parking behind someone so they cannot back up when they come under fire.
Do pay attention to the map state and if need be, go back to base to ping the cappers BEFORE it's too late.
Tracking the targets I can't kill ON PUROPOSE instead of damaging them, so the bigger guns CAN kill them more easily.
ALWAYS allow the guy next to you room to "do the shuffle" with you and try to time your "move and shoot" to happen when he backs up, keeping the target under constant fire and giving you both space to reload in sequence.

However, this mindset I speak of is not the predominant one in game I find. The predominant one is "me first and me better than you" so perhaps we just have to get used to it, because I don't think it's going away.


I wish every new player would read your list of recommendations.  If I had a dollar for every new player that hid behind my KV-3 for cover (blocking my path to back up when I reload), or cut across my path at start, or zoomed in front of me just as I was taking a shot, I'd be rich.

As for the OP: totally agree.  A tank at 1% can be just as dangerous as one at near full strength.  I keep shooting until they're dead.  If you were still shooting at him and I beat you to the punch, get over it.  Find another target and move on.  I've probably played a few thousand game since I started in beta last fall, and I can recall many games where players left tanks at low %, only to have that tank come back and kill other tanks on our team.  <face palm>

Shoot until they're dead.  Even if you're only taking the last 1% of 'someone else's' tank.  If you want to guarantee you get the kill for yourself, get a tank with a big enough gun to 1-shot them. ;)

Genjimaru #29 Posted May 03 2011 - 17:50

    Private

  • Players
  • 1201 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
I had some goon named buzzdesign call me a "kill stealer" and shoot me 3 times and then say "it funny" to shooting a teammate.
People *sigh*

hardicon #30 Posted May 03 2011 - 17:59

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 54352 battles
  • 5,595
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
  • Member since:
    07-03-2010
well everyone in this thread is half right and half wrong.


1. getting the kill shot does award exp so that could be a form of killstealing.  personally I dont care who gets the last shot in and who gets the kill, its a team game, lets move on and kill another tank.  unless i see someone that could use the kill for a top gun medal or i need it and then i try to let them have it or i might ask if i can get that kill for a medal.  sure im a statwhore, ill admit it, i like me shiny medals, but ill also give up the kill for someone else that needs it.  

so since there is an exp loss for someone for not getting the killshot it can be construed by some to be killstealing, although i would tell those people that you get more exp for damage rather than kills which is true.

2.  I think most people that complain about this are those that spent a lot of time or whatever fighting one enemy while nobody else helped and then when the enemy is down to 1 percent some little douchebag hits him to get the kill, thus depriving the guy that did all the damage to the enemy from the satisfaction of finishing the job he started.

that is a bigger problem and people need to quit doing it, it is annoying and pure griefing someone just to be a asshat, if you want to get in on the fight get in on it from the beginning, not at the end.  unless of course that person was out of sight and was moving to assist and just got in range, then that is acceptable.

so kill stealing is active in this game, it might not mean much in terms of exp and credits earned but it does happen and is still a bit annoying and i will give one example from personal experience.

I was on karelia in my t32, fighting an is7 around the mountain, we were playing peekaboo.  i had a friendly t30 right behind me.  i fought this is7 and knocked him down to 8 percent and then, finally then when ive been begging the t30 to do something the whole fight, did the t30 pop out from behind me and kill the is7 when i would of killed him anyway with my next shot.  that is the stuff that im talking about, i didnt care about the kill, i cared about the fact our tier ten tank didnt do a thing to help me till the is7 was at low health, and then our idiot teammates were saying great job t30, great job.  that annoys me to no end.

Ricox #31 Posted May 03 2011 - 22:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 3801 battles
  • 2,461
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
  • Member since:
    07-22-2010

View Posthardicon, on May 03 2011 - 17:59, said:

well everyone in this thread is half right and half wrong.


1. getting the kill shot does award exp so that could be a form of killstealing.  personally I dont care who gets the last shot in and who gets the kill, its a team game, lets move on and kill another tank.  unless i see someone that could use the kill for a top gun medal or i need it and then i try to let them have it or i might ask if i can get that kill for a medal.  sure im a statwhore, ill admit it, i like me shiny medals, but ill also give up the kill for someone else that needs it.  


Wrong. You don't get additional XP for getting the killing shot, that would be senseless.

Puffs_Retaliation #32 Posted May 03 2011 - 23:02

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 14264 battles
  • 63
  • [DERP] DERP
  • Member since:
    12-22-2010
The only time this bothers me is when I need my 6th kill for the top gun medal. Even still, its nothing to rage about since you get more exp/credits for doing damage. Otherwise, enemy tank dead, and one less thing to worry about.

Punisher_1 #33 Posted May 03 2011 - 23:34

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3484 battles
  • 818
  • [TB] TB
  • Member since:
    07-04-2010
I guess some people like to accomplish extra goals in this game, where as some do not care.

As pointed out, most awards are geared to killing off the enemy.

While the the game, at this point, has two ways of winning, Cap the enemy base or eliminate all the opposing players. Mostly people eliminate all opposing players to win the game hence people want kills.

I guess it is how you weigh your effort on the field of battle some people like kills, other preffer support such as arty, some like scouting however everyone is there to damage vehicles it's kind of silly to think that in a tank game there is any other point besides eliminating your enemy. I mean after all there is ONLY two ways to win.

If some guy is on his 5th kill and I have the oppertunity to let him get the 6th kill for top gun your dam right I'm going to let him or her get that last kill in. Considering all in all what is one kill?

Beyond that I think this topic is way over played there are greater concerns dealing with game mechanics and getting the full game.

boybland #34 Posted May 04 2011 - 00:11

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 1234 battles
  • 1,173
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010
Never let an enemy live a second longer than you need to, it might be that second that he uses to paste you or another team mate all over the surrounding landscape.
There is nothing honourable in dieing so the plonker next to you get another top gun medal!

Firespray #35 Posted May 04 2011 - 00:13

    Sergeant

  • Veteran Testers
  • 17210 battles
  • 245
  • [NTR] NTR
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010
Kill steals do still matter, while a person that damaged the tank more than the kill stealer, if I recall, there is an extra boost that comes with it.  Besides, what you call "Halo" mentality is non-existant in a game like World of Tanks because most people quit after they figure out they can't have the patience to wait and kill other tanks.  A kill for me symbolizes a small accomplishment, after all my patience did pay off and landed me one kill.  When an artillery "steals" your kill, it is just like you didn't get to finish the job yourself, instead someone else just comes out of nowhere and claims it as his own.  On the other hand, when a "good" team comes in together, finds an enemy tank and mops them up together, I would not care who got the kill.  It felt good to work together and that we all had fun destroying the tank.  Besides, I mean who likes it when you see a tank, engage it and it being a one versus one?  I sure do, its fair game, we see does the best.  Only for it to be interrupted by friendly or enemy artillery.  While I understand artillery have their job, it can somewhat be aggravating to see that 1% tank you brought down all of a sudden blown up by some other person.  I mean, is it necessary to come in and just shoot the enemy tank just for the kill?  I mean, how many of you honestly think that a person comes in and sees a 1% and a 45% tank wouldn't go for the 1% tank first?  Why wouldn't we want a kill?

Sandoz #36 Posted May 04 2011 - 04:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 30264 battles
  • 34
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
Players that care only about personal stats will defeat their purpose. They will cost their teams win, die often, have shitty stats, be disliked, and mostly end up quitting. OR they will get with the program and realize its all about the WIN.

boybland #37 Posted May 04 2011 - 04:45

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 1234 battles
  • 1,173
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010

View PostFirespray, on May 04 2011 - 00:13, said:

Kill steals do still matter, while a person that damaged the tank more than the kill stealer, if I recall, there is an extra boost that comes with it.  Besides, what you call "Halo" mentality is non-existant in a game like World of Tanks because most people quit after they figure out they can't have the patience to wait and kill other tanks.  A kill for me symbolizes a small accomplishment, after all my patience did pay off and landed me one kill.  When an artillery "steals" your kill, it is just like you didn't get to finish the job yourself, instead someone else just comes out of nowhere and claims it as his own.  On the other hand, when a "good" team comes in together, finds an enemy tank and mops them up together, I would not care who got the kill.  It felt good to work together and that we all had fun destroying the tank.  Besides, I mean who likes it when you see a tank, engage it and it being a one versus one?  I sure do, its fair game, we see does the best.  Only for it to be interrupted by friendly or enemy artillery.  While I understand artillery have their job, it can somewhat be aggravating to see that 1% tank you brought down all of a sudden blown up by some other person.  I mean, is it necessary to come in and just shoot the enemy tank just for the kill?  I mean, how many of you honestly think that a person comes in and sees a 1% and a 45% tank wouldn't go for the 1% tank first?  Why wouldn't we want a kill?

You don't kill the 1% because it's another kill on your stats, you kill it because it's one less gun shooting back...
Although technically if your going for max XP / Credit benefit you would do much better shooting the 45% tank, tactically the 1% guy is usually the better option.

Whyan #38 Posted May 04 2011 - 05:51

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 5995 battles
  • 1,872
  • Member since:
    01-26-2011
This is why its hard to get a confederate medal, because you have to eliminate the target asap meaning you cannot just damage it and 5 other targets leaving them at 4% because you know they can probably shoot back or kill someone on the team.

Ricox #39 Posted May 04 2011 - 11:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 3801 battles
  • 2,461
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
  • Member since:
    07-22-2010

View PostWhyan, on May 04 2011 - 05:51, said:

This is why its hard to get a confederate medal, because you have to eliminate the target asap meaning you cannot just damage it and 5 other targets leaving them at 4% because you know they can probably shoot back or kill someone on the team.

Well the point of that medal is not to have players shoot tanks to low HP and then run away, but to simply shoot, get lucky and get the medal in the end if you were lucky enough and had teammates nearby.

vrolock1977 #40 Posted May 04 2011 - 15:39

    Private

  • Players
  • 1045 battles
  • 5
  • Member since:
    02-07-2011
Yeah, and what people don't get is that sometimes you just get into a rhythm.  It's happened to me several times that I and another tank were covering the same field of fire and when targets popped up I'd fire, he'd fire, I'd fire and he'd get the kill (or vice-versa).  It didn't bother me that I didn't get the credit for the kill since I still got confederate medals and plenty of silver and xps to boot.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users