ammunition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

ideadeye #1 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 08:18

Private

• Players
  • 368 battles
SO what are the differences between the ammunition types? and what are they good for? (which tanks are they good against)

TargetDrone1957 #2 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 08:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3267 battles
Ok...standard Ammo is AP...armor piercing, depending on your gun and your target, the ammo has to penetrate armor to do damage...use on TANKS of your level or less, BUT, it loses effectiveness and accuracy as ranges increase...the Middle is Premium...if you have money to burn, it has better penetration/damage stats...REMEMBER when you spend GOLD you are spending REAL CASH!.   the last is HE...High explosive...a specialty ammo, it is best for "soft" targets, like Arty...and some TDs (like ones with open cupbolas)...paradoxically it is often the only way you can even bother higher level heavies!   It DOESN'T need penetration to knock out crew, tracks, gun, radio, (modules)...now HE ALSO loses accuracy as range increases, but, has the same effect if it hits at 20 yards or 200 yards.  

Some guns, using AP is a waste, some guns using HE is a waste.   In general, use AP only up to 50 mm,  a mixture for 75s, 76s, 85s, and 88s, and start thinking about HE only for all SHORT barrel guns...(the 105 on the Hetz or stug, or the 75/24 on the PzIII (and whatever that THING is on the M2 Medium), as accuracy isn't gonna be good enough to HIT for penetration.  

I have not yet tried any of the Russians with the 107, 122, or 152...nor any others with huge cannon.

Hope this helps.

ideadeye #3 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 08:33

Private

• Players
  • 368 battles
ok this really helps, thank you very much!

Tao #4 Posted Apr 30 2011 - 08:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17669 battles
  • [MKS] MKS
You should also buy both AP and HE for a tank....most of the time

For the standard gun you should have 35-40 at and the rest HE.  Having at least 20 HE is good, or do half and half if you can have at least 40 AP.  For lower tier tanks that cary lots of ammo, carry more HE than AP since you can use the HE to damage tanks that you have no chance of hurting using your AP.

Artillery should always use HE

and gun with low armour penetration compared to other gun options for the same tank should use HE (any 'howitzer').  All howitzers except for a select few russian ones suck anyway so dont ever take them or non artillery tanks :P  exceptions: 152mm on KV, and the guns for the su152 and isu 152

Alpha196 #5 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 53 battles
So what Im gathering is that I should switch to HE roundsib my T1 Cunningham for the best results?

Dabba #6 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 16033 battles
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS

View PostAlpha196, on May 01 2011 - 20:16, said:

So what Im gathering is that I should switch to HE roundsib my T1 Cunningham for the best results?

Also. AP ammos penetration performance suffers over range, HE's is generally alot lower, but doesnt suffer over distance. Take a few shots at a tank, cant penetrate it? Switch to HE. LEarn what tanks you cant penetrate. Someone told me the stats for the guns are at 100meters

TargetDrone1957 #7 Posted May 02 2011 - 02:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3267 battles
Of course, with T1 tanks with extremely poor armor, HE will do more damage when penetration DOES occur.

Ottoplay #8 Posted May 02 2011 - 09:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19093 battles
We all want to know if WoT is playing with a full deck.

How does the AP/HE info of http://en.wikipedia...._shot_and_shell apply to WoT:

An armor-piercing shell must withstand the shock of punching through armor plating. Shells designed for this purpose have a greatly strengthened case with a specially hardened and shaped nose, and a much smaller bursting charge. The AP shell remains the preferred round in tank warfare, as it has a greater "first-hit kill" probability than a high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) round, especially against a target with composite armor, and because of higher muzzle velocity, is also more accurate than a HEAT round.

So far I got AP is crap and HE is wondrous from this thread. Is that true (wot-wise)?

Dabba #9 Posted May 02 2011 - 10:18

Major

• Players
  • 16033 battles
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS

View PostOttoplay, on May 02 2011 - 09:25, said:

An armor-piercing shell must withstand the shock of punching through armor plating. Shells designed for this purpose have a greatly strengthened case with a specially hardened and shaped nose, and a much smaller bursting charge. The AP shell remains the preferred round in tank warfare, as it has a greater "first-hit kill" probability than a high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) round, especially against a target with composite armor, and because of higher muzzle velocity, is also more accurate than a HEAT round.

So far I got AP is crap and HE is wondrous from this thread. Is that true (wot-wise)?

Actually its more of a "Use HE when AP doenst work, or dont bother" Generally, unless the target is super weak, then use HE anyway

Danylu #10 Posted May 02 2011 - 10:49

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 7278 battles
The information you want is available in the wiki

http://wiki.worldoft...nics#Ammunition

TargetDrone1957 #11 Posted May 02 2011 - 19:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3267 battles

View PostOttoplay, on May 02 2011 - 09:25, said:

When you get into higher tier battles, and hits with HE will not reduce HPs rapidly, all you can do is knock out crew and modules to disable AFVs while teammates that CAN penetrate do heavier damage.  I have had matches with my Hetzer using 105 HE doing a mere 2% damage to ISs with hits...never would be able to penetrate with that particular cannon and AP at all.  

As you engage higher and higher tier AFVs, there is a time to choose AP or HE depending on the gun you have, the target, it's range, and any penetrable weak spots in it's armor...it is really NOT that simple, unless, like my Hetz, you have a gun that is USELESS with one of the ammos (AP) because of muzzle velocity or lack of accuracy.

Ottoplay #12 Posted May 03 2011 - 03:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19093 battles
Thanks for the attempts y'all. I did read "http://wiki.worldoft...ics#Ammunition." It's a good read. Didn't answer my question, hence it arrived here.

Given a crew of 90% skill, then correct ammo depends on gun, range, and target? This is much more complex than I first thought. AND given IF any of the real world specs match WoT design. Do they come close or are we just whistling Dixie?

Kona #13 Posted May 03 2011 - 03:55

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 17498 battles
Heat is not generally available in WOT and the types of armour it is not good against did not exist in WW II

am462 #14 Posted May 08 2011 - 12:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostKona, on May 03 2011 - 03:55, said:

Heat is not generally available in WOT and the types of armour it is not good against did not exist in WW II

As a point of information, HEAT is best against exactly the type of armour in use in WWII; steel plate. Modern HEAT ammunition can penetrate 600mm or more.

Kritdonkulus #15 Posted May 08 2011 - 12:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
The easiest way to know when to use AP or HE ammo is a 2 step process.

1) Knowing what your gun was designed to use. To do this look at other tanks of your tier(you know that little roman numeral in the top left hand corner of the tank) and look at the general armor value you find. Then look at your gun does the AP penetration seem a little low for it's tier or does the HE damage on the shell have almost a 3x multiplier higher then the AP damage? These are all clues at what you should probably be using. There are some guns like the KV-2s 152mm derp that should be only used HE only regardless of other values.

2) Using your gun reticle to clue you in. As you may be aware the reticle that sits in the middle of your screen is where you want your gun to be pointed at, while the 2nd reticle is where your gun is actually pointed. If your 2nd reticle hovers over a target it will change colors corresponding to the likely hood of you penetrating. If you have AP ammo loaded and the reticle is green you are likely to penetrate, yellow means possible penetration although you can consider using HE, red means very unlikely to penetrate and you might as well chuck HE at the target.

HE while having higher damage values do less damage because they do not need to penetrate the target to still damage it. Where an AP round will bounce off dealing 0 damage, an HE shell that does not penetrate will still deal a fraction of the listed damage values after some armor midigation.

Roxxso #16 Posted May 10 2011 - 13:24

Private

• Players
  • 2062 battles
I just started playing the other day and one thing I noticed that I didn't understand was, when I tried to load a gun on my tank with HE rounds it didn't allow me to load any. I checked the compatibility for the rounds to make sure that those particular shells were used with that model of gun (I can't remember the names of either or have the game up to tell at the moment), but when I tried to add those rounds into my tanks inventory it wouldn't change. I had enough credits. The ammo type and gun type match. And, I don't know if it matters or not, but I have my account on Premium right now. I'm not talking about HEAT rounds, just HE ones. I even bought the correct types compatible both with the tanks I intended to use them on as well as the gun that fires them from the store so I would have a surplus in my depot, but I still can't load them.

Any insight would be help full.

The tanks I am using right now are the;          **(again, I can't remember the guns, but I have all of them pretty much available)**
-T57
-T1 Cunningham
-AT-1
-T-26
-PzKpfw 35 (t)

::EDIT::
Sorry. Please disregard the noob question above. I didn't take into account that a tank only hold a certain amount of ammo at a time and was fully loaded with AP so there was no room for anything else. Please ignore the dumbass (namely me)

:(

Elbow #17 Posted May 10 2011 - 13:44

Captain

• Players
  • 22329 battles

View PostRoxxso, on May 10 2011 - 13:24, said:

I just started playing the other day and one thing I noticed that I didn't understand was, when I tried to load a gun on my tank with HE rounds it didn't allow me to load any. I checked the compatibility for the rounds to make sure that those particular shells were used with that model of gun (I can't remember the names of either or have the game up to tell at the moment), but when I tried to add those rounds into my tanks inventory it wouldn't change. I had enough credits. The ammo type and gun type match. And, I don't know if it matters or not, but I have my account on Premium right now. I'm not talking about HEAT rounds, just HE ones. I even bought the correct types compatible both with the tanks I intended to use them on as well as the gun that fires them from the store so I would have a surplus in my depot, but I still can't load them.

Any insight would be help full.

The tanks I am using right now are the;          **(again, I can't remember the guns, but I have all of them pretty much available)**
-T57
-T1 Cunningham
-AT-1
-T-26
-PzKpfw 35 (t)

What I am thinking is your trying to buy shells through the depot for specific tanks? You are then going to that tank and they don't show up? You either need to next go to the tank and move the slider for that type of ammo over to a number and apply that load out. Or, you need to NOT buy them through the depot (I never do) and buy them through the tank service menue instead. That way you are garuanteed to have compatible ammo. If you have spare ammo in the depot and it works in another tank, when you move the slider on that tank to add ammo it will take from the spare ammo in your depot first.

As for the types of ammo to use, I defualt to AP (with exceptions like the KV's 152mm or the German 105mm) and use HE against stubbor targets or high tier stuff. The color of the reticle will teach you quickly where to aim with AP i.e. The turret of the T29 is like rock where as the hull is soft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users