T-29 is complitely disbalanced for its Tier.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
237 replies to this topic

Homeles #41 Posted May 05 2011 - 11:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6388 battles
Yeah. The T29 is a great tank but it needs support. Otherwise, it gets flanked pretty easily and that's game over.

NightFalcon #42 Posted May 05 2011 - 12:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11159 battles
Its funny how everyone just compares T29 with IS, and the Tiger is just out of equation    :Smile_harp::Smile-bajan2:  because its the worst tank of its tier? I gues  :Smile-playing:

ultra1437 #43 Posted May 05 2011 - 20:21

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11503 battles

View Postlostwingman, on May 05 2011 - 07:45, said:

All the opness of the T29 is mitigated out by the shitness of teams we tend to get.
Seriously, craptastic camping morons.
A @#$%ing men brother.

Just a bit ago, karelia.  The whole team went north, leaving me in my t29, and two TDs to take on an entire enemy rush south.  Two of their tanks managed to stop AND destroy the tanks that went north, leaving a single arty and the aforementioned tanks left.  That rush me and the two TDs stopped, wised up and attacked in numbers, overwhelming and killing us.  Still had 700+ xp for that loss.

TD;DR
Shitty teams suck.

Evisicator #44 Posted May 05 2011 - 20:27

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3258 battles

View PostAsyranok, on May 05 2011 - 05:41, said:

The T29 is the best in its tier. It is far from overpowered. Very easy to take down when the driver isn't skilled. I can DOMINATE a T29 in a KV with the 152 mm. Not out in the open mind you but under close-fight circumstances. He can two-shot me. I can three shot him. Fun times.

Or an Easy 8 - Even an M4 Sherman in certain situations.

LMAO you can dominate a tank with the mightiest of all DERP guns.

With that said, any tank can kill the T29-30 seris tanks relatively easy if one takes the time to learn how to play the game and spends less time asking for hand outs.

artilector #45 Posted May 06 2011 - 05:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24527 battles

View Postboybland, on May 04 2011 - 22:50, said:

That is why the IS is faster and has better maneuverability.... to allow you to outplay it.
If you want to have the flexibility to be anywhere on the battle field in a short space of time, or be able to outflank most other heavies, expect to pay for it in a face to face fight with a tank designed for that...

Well, in this game, with these tiny maps, firepower and armor has the advantage over mobility 90% of the time. The KV has crap mobility and laughable turret rotation.. and it's hardly ever a problem for a decent KV player.

I can buy the argument that T29 forces you to play a certain way, and maybe that's why it has to be OP in that specific capacity.. fine.. same with the KV, especially the derp KV. Yes, you have to play it a specific way, but overall, it is OP.

The ability to cause significant penetration problems for all but the most powerful tanks is a huge effect that overshadows all other mentioned weaknesses, in my opinion.

Mobility issues become important when you're isolated.. but 1) when you're isolated, you're basically screwed regardless 2) even with random teammates, most of the time you're not fighting in isolation, and 3) i don't think the T29's mobility is so bad as to make it a real sitting duck compared to the IS..

And whoever asked about Tiger not being part of the discussion.. yeah.. I don't think I had much fear of Tigers even in a T-43..

boybland #46 Posted May 06 2011 - 05:36

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 1234 battles

View Postartilector, on May 06 2011 - 05:07, said:

Well, in this game, with these tiny maps, firepower and armor has the advantage over mobility 90% of the time. The KV has crap mobility and laughable turret rotation.. and it's hardly ever a problem for a decent KV player.

Anybody who thinks high tier mediums or fast heavy tanks with their mobility can't be the deciding factor in a match hasn't seen any decent T7-9 medium driver in action, many fights are won by that single medium who gets through and cleans out the entire enemy arty compliment before the heavies up the road even know they are there...
Plenty of people, myself included have no trouble dealing with a KV, precisely because of it's reduced mobility and laughable turret rotation.  If you catch one unawares, which is pretty easy if your fast, killing it is a piece of cake.

Your continually thinking of 1 on 1 situations and obvious match ups, which if you are the driver of the more mobile tank are something you can generally easily avoid, There are the odd maps where it is very hard to avoid engaging, but most maps have plenty of options and cover to allow you to pick your fights.  
People driving slower tanks don't get this luxury, if they end up on the wrong flank or the just simply in the wrong place they pretty much stuck there and have to make do with it.

Neogenex #47 Posted May 06 2011 - 14:53

Captain

• Players
  • 10853 battles

View PostTigerclaw_x, on Apr 30 2011 - 21:11, said:

Sometimes a great game has a nasty abscess. So nasty it can complitely destroy the enjoyment of the game.
In WOT this abscess is T29 - US Tier 7 heavy tank. What makes it so unbalanced? Super heavy turret armor and NASTY 105mm long gun. I often heard: It has a weak body. However, is it so?
T29 armor is 102/75/51 body and 279/127/102 turret. The turret armor is absolutely the heaviest of any tank on Tier 7 and most on tier 8. However, is the BODY armor that weak. Not so, as if figures out. On Tier 7 there are following tanks:
1. Pz VI - Tiger. Body armor Front 100/80/80. Tell me, please how Tiger's body armor is that much  better then T29?
Tiger starts with 82mm turret and then advances to a 100mm turret. So, the BODY is about equal on both tanks, while T29 has nearly THREE TIMES the Turret armor then Tiger. You call THIS ballance?
2. IS tank. Body armor is 120/90/60. Indeed it is a little stronger then T-29 body armor. However, it must be noted that on Tier 7 guns are so powerful that 20mm of armor at this level makes very little difference. Turret armor once again is nowhere NEAR T29 100/90/90. Once again, it is VERY similar to Tiger, but almost 2.5 times thinner then T29.

So what happens is that Tigers and IS must shoot ONLY at T29 body if they want to penetrate it. While T29 can shoot both, Tiger and IS ANYWHERE and get RELIABLE penetration.

But wait, you will tell me. Surely there are other things to tanks then just armor: Cannons, visibility, etc.
However, even here, T29 proves to be completely dominant over ANYTHING at Tier 7.
Check it out

The top guns for IS are:
1 D10T with penetration 175 and ROF of 8.
2 D-2-5T with penetration 175 and ROF 4.6
3 D25T with penetration 175 and ROF 5.6

Best visibility for IS is 400m with the best turret

Top guns for TIGER 1 are:
1 Kwk 42 with penetration 138 and ROF of 15
2 Kwk 36 with penetration 132 and ROF of 8
3 Kwk 43 with penetration 203 and ROF of almost 9.

Best visibility for Tiger is 420m.

IS delivers more damage, but has lower ROF, visibility, penetration and accuracy then tiger, while having heavier armor. Jury is still out on what is better, but IMHO, Tiger is a better tank in this game (not IRL, since it NEVER gotten a Kwk 43). However, the tanks are fairly close to each other.

BOTH of them get blown out of the water by T29, which is ALSO a Tier 7 and is SUPPOSED to be about their equal.

Top guns for T29 are:
1. M3 with penetration of 160 and ROF of 9. This is easily superior to KWK 36 and about equal to Soviet D10T
2. T5E1 with penetration of 198 and ROF of 5 and Damage is 360. This is greatly superior to ANYTHING that Tiger or IS have.

Visibility on T29 is 430, also greatly superior to ANYTHING that Tiger or IS have.

So where is the balance? T29 has about the same Hull armor then his opponents of the same tier, 2.5-2.7 times turret armor then his opponents of the same tier. Greater visibility, and greatly superior gun.

Hey, game developers, where is the balance? Shouldn't the tanks of the same tier be ABOUT EQUAL?

Now, all the T29 tank drivers - I know you love your tank. And I know why: it is fun to be superior to any tank of your own tier and have huge kill list. However, some of us do not want to play Amerikan, or spend hours and hours getting to super duper munchkin tank during installment of which developers got high on something and forgot about such thing as GAME BALANCE.

I cant believe you are honestly complaining about the T29...

I cant speak for German or Russian tanks, but I have gotten my T29 and can say it isnt overpowered. I do not yet have the big gun, but the 90mm is almost totally useless. Sure, it fires fast and can penetrate with very well aimed shots, but if you get stuck against a few heavies, you are basically begging for some kind of penetration and begging they dont blow you to bits. I havent unlocked the 2nd engine yet (I opted to grind to get the big gun first) and when I do, I am really hoping this thing becomes a bit more agile. Its a slug on the battlefield. It can take a beating, sure, especially when you only let your turret be visable, but with how slow it is, like that above post mentioned, if you find yourself overwhelmed with little back up or a fail team, you are basically finished. All you can do is try to do as much damage as you can with your meager 90mm cannon. I was constantly hearing that this tank was a monster and can destroy things easily... I havent saw that yet. I am assuming I need the 105mm to see the true potential this thing has.

Overall, I am fairly happy with her. She performs well with the current upgrades I have but lacks the penetration of other tanks her tier and she draws a ton of fire. So please, stop crying about how overpowered the T29 is. Either man up and play within the game perameters set by the devs, or quit playing. Either way, everyone else will be much happier... but if you must whine about something, go make another thread crying about auto balance. :)

aedn #48 Posted May 06 2011 - 15:23

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10053 battles
The T29 trades everything for armor. in its current format, it has the slowest firing weapon in its tier. however, it has the highest penetration weapon and the best armor on its turret, along with very good deflection in the cannon, allowing it to stay hull down much of the time. This is the playstyle for almost all american tanks once you reach tier 7.  The tank is able to be penetrated on its turret from shooting the sides,rear, or weak points which do not include just the ears. Contrary to your statements, the majority of tier 5 tanks, and above can easily penetrate the hull armor of a T29 with a high percentage of success, with there weapons. Using my t-34/57mm i have soloed multiple T29s who had the 105, but were bad drivers. the 76MM on the sherman & all tier 6 tanks will penetrate this. The 107 on the KV will crush an exposed hull on a t29.

To say that the Tank iS OP is just silly, given the current stats on it. The only thing that can be argued is that the damage per shot is a little high, but thats personal opinion, as the IS final tier weapon still does 390 damage and fires .56 faster then the T29's 105. There is no doubt that the tiger needs a complete revamp, as its a horrible tank in its tier.

Additionally, the T29 is the first american tank that is actually powerful, since its tier 3 counterpart the M2 medium tank, and not complete trash. Given that the Tier 4-6 grind of the american heavy line is one of the worst grinds in the game, having a reward at tier 7 is pretty much essential, otherwise people would not play american at all. As it stands, you see as many russian heavies in the game as you do americans.

Blastoita #49 Posted May 06 2011 - 15:50

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Fully agree that t29 is totally unbalanced for his tier. It woul be nice like tier 8.

Remeber that in real life tiger was Tiger was THE real heavy tank.
T29 is just a draw, a prototype, an idea not a real fighting tank so please put it against with something similar to him.
I can't say to put Tiger VS M4 like in real  but at least not against an iron wall that could stay only on paper.

I don't think that T29 must be nerfed, but only moved up to tier.

Just like after KV you can choose betewwn kv1s and kv3, the same here with t29 and t32 but again not vs tier 7.

Neogenex #50 Posted May 06 2011 - 16:42

Captain

• Players
  • 10853 battles
People saying that the 105mm out does Russia and Germany make me mad. Ok, maybe its a LITTLE better, but your big guns for your tanks are like, what, 16,500 exp and 17,000/19,000 exp? The 105mm is 40,700 exp... and we have to do this grind using a piece of trash 90mm cannon that has a rough ass time penetrating tier 7 tanks, not to mention, during the grind, you are thrown into battles with tier 8, 9, 10 tanks that make short work of you and laugh at your puny 90mm cannon... so please, stop complaining about this tank needing to be nerfed or moved up a tier.

Hendrix #51 Posted May 06 2011 - 17:02

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 17559 battles

View PostTigerclaw_x, on Apr 30 2011 - 22:29, said:

I went against T29 in following tanks:
T-28, T-34, T34-85, KV, KV3, Pz III, Pz IV, Luchs, Leopard, SU85B, VK-3601, Marder. Most of it was at the later stages of beta testing.

Here are my experiences: 100mm frontal armor of T29 is not any weaker then frontal armor of KV3 or any other tanks I was in. T29 has greater vision range then ANY Soviet tank, and is a match for most US tanks.
Even with 90mm canon, T29 is a threat to ANY of the tanks I have listed.
When fighting against T29 YOU NEED TO SNIPE AT THE HULL. Hitting him in the turret, even with KVK42 does NO DAMAGE.
Soviet 107mm canon which worked VERY well against Tigers is useless against T29. Good luck doing it in a broken terrain or in the city. Very hard. T29 with its 90mm cannon really doesn't care where he has to hit you. He hits - he penetrates and does CRAPLOAD of damage.
T29 can dance circles around KV and KV3 (the only heavy tanks I drove).

People who drive T29 love to say "U need skilz to drive your tank. YOu do not know how to drive your tank if you can't beat us". Let me tell you how T29 drivers fight in the battles I been in (where T29 was the highest tier tank) - they park somewhere, usually hiding their hull, and calmly snipe everything that comes near them.
Alternatively they just slowly move head onto the enemy, trading hits. 50% of enemy hits will hit the turret doing no damage. I have seen T29 just calmly charge at 3 Tiger tanks, get hit 7 times, (4 times on the turret), blow up all 3 and then still have 29% health. And he just CHARGED them. No tactic, just slowly, deliberately marched at them. I was right behind him in Pz III and was covering him from TDs if enemy had any.

When and if I develop T29, I will be more then happy to take any 2:1 challenge vs ANY Tier 7 or Tier 6 tanks. The tank is freaking overpowering. It should be at Tier 9 or 10.

I have never ever had any trouble killing T-29's with my jagdpanther, Now I use my JP as sort of my money farming tank because of how cheap it is to repeair and that 105 is deadly. I actualy have alot more trouble with IS's than T-29's. IS's have the sloped Armor while the T-29's are very weak on the hull as you know, I never miss when I'm aiming for the 29's sweet spot. Normaly takes around 3 rounds to bring one down. Jagdpanther is infact a Tier 7 and is in my mind the Best combination of speed and firepower and armor in the game. Sure it doesn't have a turret, but man it's one deadly vehicle when used correctly.  My advice to you is don't worry about it, it is only a Tier 7 and the higher you get the worse the US tanks are while the German and Soviet tanks get better. I'd take the VK4502 any day over the T34. And well ofcourse I'd take the IS-4 over almost anything including the t34. Don't get hung up on the little things.

Sputter #52 Posted May 06 2011 - 19:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 16467 battles
people really need to stop complaining about the t29 so much. I mean wow really the american hvy line gets only two good tanks the t29 and t32. Thats the only time they have the best tank for the tier yet everyone seems to want to nerf those tanks into the ground.

Asyranok #53 Posted May 06 2011 - 19:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30448 battles

View PostBlastoita, on May 06 2011 - 15:50, said:

Fully agree that t29 is totally unbalanced for his tier. It woul be nice like tier 8.

T29 is just a draw, a prototype, an idea not a real fighting tank so please put it against with something similar to him.
I can't say to put Tiger VS M4 like in real  but at least not against an iron wall that could stay only on paper.

I don't think that T29 must be nerfed, but only moved up to tier.

Just like after KV you can choose betewwn kv1s and kv3, the same here with t29 and t32 but again not vs tier 7.

You are insane. The problem is far from being the strength of the T29. It is the weakness of the Tiger - and the IS is just as strong.

If you can't take out a T29, then you are either...

A. Lazy and use autoaim and refuse to be smart and actually aim for the hull.
B. Mad because you don't have one.
or
C. Fail to realize that T29 drivers go through significantly weaker tanks to get to the T29 so there is a great chance they are better than you. Learn how to take them out because it is painfully easy.

I NEVER have trouble taking them out because I know exactly how to - having played hundreds of battles in the T29.
1. SHOOT THE HULL - Don't shoot at the turret with armor peircing rounds and then complain that you can't penetrate its armor because that would just mean you are stupid.
2. SHOOT THE HULL - It has very low armor ratings. Shoot at the weakspots - don't shoot right on the slopiest part of the sloped front armor. There are spots that are large hooks that look like headlights on the frontal armor. They are easy spots to penetrate.
3. SHOOT THE HULL - Don't try to aim for the ears on the upgraded turret unless you have NO VIEW OF THE HULL - especially if your gun isn't extremely accurate. The ears are very tiny unless you are right up on the T29 and you will often miss.
4. SHOOT THE HULL - Just shoot the damn hull and stop complaining about the turret. It's really simple... the front of the turret is 297 mm of armor and only the BL-10 can penetrate it. Use HE when hitting the turret or nothing at all. There are other tanks in this game with nigh impenetrable frontal turret armor in this game. The Vk4502 for example. The T-54 for example. The IS-4 for example. The T32 for example. and all the T-series tanks.

it really is simple... as a general rule...

AIM FOR THE HULLS OF TANKS. Because it is a general rule of tanks in this world that the most armor goes to the turret. To attack, a tanks turret must be visible to the enemy. The hull can be behind something or dug into the ground. Learn that and start aiming for the hulls on tanks or you will always suck.

Of course there are exceptions and you need to learn them or you will always be complaining that something completely balanced is not balanced. Many of the German tanks up until tier 8 and above are very weak in the turret. AIM FOR THE TURRET when fighting them. Most Russian and American tanks always have stronger turret armor than hull armor.

Facts of Life.

Neogenex #54 Posted May 06 2011 - 21:36

Captain

• Players
  • 10853 battles

View PostAsyranok, on May 06 2011 - 19:29, said:

You are insane. The problem is far from being the strength of the T29. It is the weakness of the Tiger - and the IS is just as strong.

If you can't take out a T29, then you are either...

A. Lazy and use autoaim and refuse to be smart and actually aim for the hull.
B. Mad because you don't have one.
or
C. Fail to realize that T29 drivers go through significantly weaker tanks to get to the T29 so there is a great chance they are better than you. Learn how to take them out because it is painfully easy.

I NEVER have trouble taking them out because I know exactly how to - having played hundreds of battles in the T29.
1. SHOOT THE HULL - Don't shoot at the turret with armor peircing rounds and then complain that you can't penetrate its armor because that would just mean you are stupid.
2. SHOOT THE HULL - It has very low armor ratings. Shoot at the weakspots - don't shoot right on the slopiest part of the sloped front armor. There are spots that are large hooks that look like headlights on the frontal armor. They are easy spots to penetrate.
3. SHOOT THE HULL - Don't try to aim for the ears on the upgraded turret unless you have NO VIEW OF THE HULL - especially if your gun isn't extremely accurate. The ears are very tiny unless you are right up on the T29 and you will often miss.
4. SHOOT THE HULL - Just shoot the damn hull and stop complaining about the turret. It's really simple... the front of the turret is 297 mm of armor and only the BL-10 can penetrate it. Use HE when hitting the turret or nothing at all. There are other tanks in this game with nigh impenetrable frontal turret armor in this game. The Vk4502 for example. The T-54 for example. The IS-4 for example. The T32 for example. and all the T-series tanks.

it really is simple... as a general rule...

AIM FOR THE HULLS OF TANKS. Because it is a general rule of tanks in this world that the most armor goes to the turret. To attack, a tanks turret must be visible to the enemy. The hull can be behind something or dug into the ground. Learn that and start aiming for the hulls on tanks or you will always suck.

Of course there are exceptions and you need to learn them or you will always be complaining that something completely balanced is not balanced. Many of the German tanks up until tier 8 and above are very weak in the turret. AIM FOR THE TURRET when fighting them. Most Russian and American tanks always have stronger turret armor than hull armor.

Facts of Life.

Well said. Perhaps that is the problem with "over powered" tanks now a days. They are not over powered, its that new players dont understand the mechanics. I have only been playing about 10 days, but before I played my first battle, I went through many of the forums and learned about each nation and what their advantages and disadvantages are making me a better player just because I know what to shoot, where to shoot, and when to turn tail and run. Granted, I am not the best player, no where near it. I am learning every day still. But at least I had the common sense to look at the forums and find out what is weak where and how to deal with them.

EDIT: Oh yes, and also, leveling up a nation is farily easy, and maybe that is also the problem. Nobody spends time in their tanks to learn how to properly play them. Usually by game 10 in a certain tank I have a fair feel for her and know what I can and cant do, but again, I am always learning and sometimes a certain tactic that has worked for 60 games wont work for a particular game, and so you need to overcome and adapt.

Mow_Mow #55 Posted May 07 2011 - 05:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12058 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostBlastoita, on May 06 2011 - 15:50, said:

At least 6 T29 were produced by USA during World War II, the last one T29A2E6(?) had "ear" rangefinders like on the upgraded turret. They were developed for testing and to counter Germany's Tiger tank, and were equipped with 105mm cannon. T29 is not a "paper" tank. You can still see some if you go to USA's tank museum at Fort Hood, I think.

iPancakes #56 Posted May 07 2011 - 12:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4991 battles
after reading this thread... i feel like continuing my USD Tech tree and buy that big guy! It haz nice looks too 8D

S1egetank #57 Posted May 07 2011 - 19:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 18071 battles
I don't know why people gripe so much about this tank being OP I have one and have fought against several since beta in fully upgraded tiger and IS. If played to its strengths it is a dangerous opponent, hull down and playing a support fire role it owns with the 90 or 105. Even hull down they are still far from invulnerable, use HE to damage the gun, ammo rack, etc... and chip away at its health. I have not had a lot of problems in the IS and Tiger countering the T29 if I play conservatively and, more so with the Tiger, with a little team support. Also on that upgraded turret hit the ears and make them cry =D

Crocketus #58 Posted May 07 2011 - 20:30

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 5638 battles

View PostNightFalcon, on May 05 2011 - 12:24, said:

Its funny how everyone just compares T29 with IS, and the Tiger is just out of equation    :Smile_harp::Smile-bajan2:  because its the worst tank of its tier? I gues  :Smile-playing:
I agree, the Tiger is really underestimated.  The thing is that out of the three the Tiger is a dps machine, where the IS and T-29 are more about alpha damage.  Being in my T32 I can say that is has much of the same faults as the T29 but the general strategy is the same.  A good tiger driver will 4-5 shot your T-29 in its hull where you will 4 shot him anywhere.  The thing is that the tiger will deal 100% damage to you as long as he hits you in the hull, and his rof is godly compared to the T29... I fear the sniper Tiger more than the sniper T29 because with the T29 I can at least fix my tracks and keep moving before I get hit again.... that and all American camo values suck.... have been revealed by a scout over 5 squares away before.

Mizar_Panzer #59 Posted May 07 2011 - 20:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 3789 battles
  • [TT-C] TT-C
And, why is everybody responding to a troll who cant even spell 'complitely'?

FlatCat #60 Posted May 07 2011 - 20:35

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11878 battles
The T-29 is tops in its tier but that how it was desgined to be a kitty tamer. You got to deal with it.

Man you guys - him bad.

GAME BALANCE
War is never balanced

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users