Jump to content


"Something in the Way".....


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Opilione #21 Posted May 13 2014 - 19:50

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5636 battles
  • 821
  • Member since:
    07-23-2013

View Postkittikat, on May 13 2014 - 20:41, said:

 

Wait... THAT WAS YOU!!??

 

I'm sorry, I actually LOVE Star Wars. I was just blowing you off cause you smelled like old Doritos chips :(

What, that's why you blew me off? Darn, I was trying the new Axe spray modeled after everyone's favorite flavored tortilla. It said results guaranteed or your money back. Looks like I should get a refund...



Sturm_Teufel #22 Posted May 13 2014 - 20:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 48603 battles
  • 4,135
  • [-P-] -P-
  • Member since:
    07-22-2011

View PostSdKfz252, on May 13 2014 - 10:49, said:


I dont give a damn about your fantasies. What you said was blatantly stupid. People have the right to choose what they wear in Real Life. You dont make someone wear something, this isnt a place where everything's decided for you. I respect the singer, but I dont respect you.


Of course people have the right to wear what they want even if they do not understand the meaning of what they're wearing. It doesn't mean they're right for doing so. If that were the case, you might see people wear swastika arm bands without other people being offended. Do that in Germany, you'll get arrested for being a nazi weather you understand it or not. Wear a Nirvana t-shirt in Seattle with out knowing who/what they are, you'll get thrown out of a bar for being a poser. Don't be a poser.

Always loved seeing Nirvana, great energy, always a great show.



Iron_Soul_Stealer #23 Posted May 14 2014 - 00:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostSturm_Teufel, on May 13 2014 - 15:02, said:


Of course people have the right to wear what they want even if they do not understand the meaning of what they're wearing. It doesn't mean they're right for doing so. If that were the case, you might see people wear swastika arm bands without other people being offended. Do that in Germany, you'll get arrested for being a nazi weather you understand it or not. Wear a Nirvana t-shirt in Seattle with out knowing who/what they are, you'll get thrown out of a bar for being a poser. Don't be a poser.

Always loved seeing Nirvana, great energy, always a great show.

 

On that note....when my Daughter was given an T-shirt last year as a gift, she didn't even know who they were, at first. So I made her listen to a few songs by them

before I'd let her wear it outside. It was a little rough for her, at the start, but by the time we got to 'Back in Black', she was rock'in, and kick'in it ole' school. Does she wear her AC/DC shirt proudly now..?

Hell ya! And does she know most of the hit songs/lyrics now..? You bet she does!  And even better than an 'ole die hard like me...

 

I know it's not grunge, but this is another classic favorite of mine...

-ISS


Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, May 14 2014 - 18:21.


Iron_Soul_Stealer #24 Posted May 14 2014 - 18:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostOpilione, on May 13 2014 - 14:32, said:

While you're right, most of the time when I wear a graphic tee I wear ones that portray something I have an interest in. Hence, I have shirts for certain bands, movies, and games. It lets others know that you have an interest in it and creates the opportunity to talk or relate over it if they have the same interest. Wearing clothes that support something you have no interest/knowledge just because you like it is mildly shallow and highly misleading. Case in point, I tried hitting on a cute girl once because she was wearing a Star Wars shirt, only to discover she not only hadn't watched any of them, but didn't even want to. 

Dude, see my post directly above this one.^   It explains my position a little better on this fundamental principle.

And of course people have the 'right' to wear whatever they want to, but that doesn't mean they should be, {in the moral sense}...but I guess human morality really is in short supply now days...

 

'All Apologies' for the misunderstanding....

 

 

 

View Postvalkyrie451, on May 13 2014 - 13:55, said:

 

Back in the late 80's (before the release of Bleach 1989, just about the time they had settled on Chad Channing) I was living in the Seattle/Tacoma area.  One Friday night, I went with some fellow Air Force friends to Seattle to a night club that had various bands play.  At that time it was Pier 70 (same place that MTV used to shot the "Real World" in later years).  We were fairly well intoxicated having a good time, when a band came on stage began to play.  This lead singer with very long Blonde hair was playing a punk, good rocking song that was full of energy.

 

I ask my friend at the moment, "who are these guys?"  He said, "I think they call themselves  Nirvana...."  I said really?

 

Well about 2 years later I'm driving down the highway living in on the East Coast, I hear "Teen Spirit" for the first time.  Then the radio announcer says, "That's a new sound out of Seattle, called Nirvana. 

 

It was only then that I realized that I saw Nirvana before anyone even really knew who they were at that time.

 

I was Hooked then for sure.

 

Got all of their music, and have always enjoyed listening to Nirvana.

 

Kurt stood against the system, he rebelled against the establishment, and the decay that had stagnated some of the music scene at that time.  They landed at the right moment at the right place and time.  The music scene at that time in Seattle when I was there was a caldron of "molecular elements" backing into the Alternative Grunge scene, and it was a great memory and time, place, and moment to be.

 

We miss ya, Kurt.

 

:mellow:

 

Dude....super cool story!

I envy you...I wish I could have seen them back in the day...

-ISS


Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, May 14 2014 - 18:33.


Scotty_SE #25 Posted May 14 2014 - 18:59

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12022 battles
  • 1,275
  • Member since:
    11-10-2013

Quote

Some of us had Kennedy, and many of us still remember where we were, when we first heard the news about Kurt's death.

 

Kennedy was assassinated. Cobain blew his head off because he was a selfish coward who bought into his own contrived angst. Listening to this guy mock the establishment that consequentially made him famous showed how self centered he was. 

 

Hoffman at least had his best work ahead of him.

 

On the West Coast we had grunge. On the East Coast we had Heroin Chic. Both trends couldn't die fast enough, although I admit grunge help kill off post 80's synth which wasn't a bad thing.

 

The best thing about Nirvana is it was the inspiration for the funniest Weird Al parody video of all time. Honestly people, get this guy off your Crucifex.



Insurrectional_Leftist #26 Posted May 14 2014 - 19:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 46751 battles
  • 6,199
  • Member since:
    05-23-2013

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 14 2014 - 18:32, said:

Dude, see my post directly above this one.^   It explains my position a little better on this fundamental principle.

And of course people have the 'right' to wear whatever they want to, but that doesn't mean they should be, {in the moral sense}...but I guess human morality really is in short supply now days...

 

'All Apologies' for the misunderstanding....

 

 

 

 

Dude....super cool story!

I envy you...I wish I could have seen them back in the day...

-ISS

 

Yea, that was some timing for sure.  That was their early period when their sound was a diamond in the "Ruff".   When I think back on it now, and remember the sound they were making at that moment vs. all the major air play stuff just as they got the exposure, you could hear all the "building blocks" being set in place.  Chris Noveselick stands pretty tall, lanky, etc. they were playing something that was definitely punk, mix of post 70's punk sound, mixed with a heavy hard rock, with that catchy, power driven sound, with Cobain pushing power on his vocals, and the drummer for some reason I cannot picture his face now?  was it channing or the drummer just before him (that I can't clearly remember.... but no matters... it was primordial Nirvana in the making for sure, developing its sound)

We were pretty intoxicated at the time, and what was funny was that the dance floor area even lit up with people trying to dance to it.  I also remember thinking, "how did they get started playing like this? This sound they are driving out with this shrill message in the music?"  They had the jeans with the holes in them, colored T-shirts, and Kurt had that shirt on with the face with "  X . X "   for eyes, and the squiggly face.

 

Too bad I didn't have a "up plugged" recording device or something to have recorded it?"   It would be sought after for sure, if I had that recording, but how do you know when you hear a band that one day they will be big in lights so quickly like that?   You could tell their sound was unique, maybe that's what got them to notice, and their will to poke a finger in the absurdity of the system around them?

 

yep, it almost makes me long for the 90's back again, not just musically, but in so many other ways.



Desert_Faux #27 Posted May 14 2014 - 19:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 5085 battles
  • 3,050
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM
  • Member since:
    06-02-2013

Sadly it wasn't till 2-3 years after Kurts Death that I really got into them. I was 13 when he passed and don't remember it :(  I lived a sheltered life :(

 

I remember when I first heard one of their cd's I ended up have 2 of their other cd's by the next month LOL



Iron_Soul_Stealer #28 Posted May 14 2014 - 21:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostScotty_SE, on May 14 2014 - 13:59, said:

 

Kennedy was assassinated. Cobain blew his head off because he was a selfish coward who bought into his own contrived angst. Listening to this guy mock the establishment that consequentially made him famous showed how self centered he was. 

 

Hoffman at least had his best work ahead of him.

 

On the West Coast we had grunge. On the East Coast we had Heroin Chic. Both trends couldn't die fast enough, although I admit grunge help kill off post 80's synth which wasn't a bad thing.

 

The best thing about Nirvana is it was the inspiration for the funniest Weird Al parody video of all time. Honestly people, get this guy off your Crucifex.

 

.....:facepalm:

I can understand that you're obviously 'opinionated in your ways', but this post of yours is just disrespectful and insulting. Name-calling & blaming someone who was obviously suffering from

depression/mental illness & addictions is just wrong, dude. ...and btw..."this guy" isn't on my crucifix, and never was....I'm not religious...

 

View PostDesert_Faux, on May 14 2014 - 14:07, said:

Sadly it wasn't till 2-3 years after Kurts Death that I really got into them. I was 13 when he passed and don't remember it :(  I lived a sheltered life :(

 

I remember when I first heard one of their cd's I ended up have 2 of their other cd's by the next month LOL

 

Strangely, it seems....many extremely talented and influential artists/musicians also seem to suffer from addictions & depression/mental illnesses etc.....and Kurt was no different in that respect.

Not sure if this is what "creates" much of this highly original & influential talent/art...? But there is something definitely linked to this, because there is clearly a track record of famous painters/poets

suffering from these same problems throughout history.

 

 


Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, May 15 2014 - 03:55.


mattwong #29 Posted May 15 2014 - 03:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 30470 battles
  • 17,333
  • Member since:
    03-03-2012

View PostOpilione, on May 13 2014 - 14:32, said:

Wearing clothes that support something you have no interest/knowledge just because you like it is mildly shallow and highly misleading. Case in point, I tried hitting on a cute girl once because she was wearing a Star Wars shirt, only to discover she not only hadn't watched any of them, but didn't even want to. 

 

Wait a minute, you managed to break the ice with a "cute girl" but you were disappointed because her apparent Star Wars fandom wasn't real?  Who cares if she's a Star Wars fan?  Once you've broken the ice with a cute girl, that's the start of a potentially good day.



Iron_Soul_Stealer #30 Posted May 15 2014 - 04:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostScotty_SE, on May 14 2014 - 13:59, said:

*snip*

 

 Honestly people, get this guy off your Crucifex.

 

*Oh, and dude, there's a big difference between Worshipping, and Remembering. Not sure what you've been doing lately, but I'm just doing the latter....

-ISS

 


Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, May 15 2014 - 04:03.


Iron_Soul_Stealer #31 Posted May 15 2014 - 16:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostOpilione, on May 13 2014 - 14:32, said:

*snip*

 Wearing clothes that support something you have no interest/knowledge just because you like it is mildly shallow and highly misleading. Case in point, I tried hitting on a cute girl once because she was wearing a Star Wars shirt, only to discover she not only hadn't watched any of them, but didn't even want to. 

 

Good for you, dude.

Star Wars fandom runs deep. I would have dropped the shallow-poser too...even if she was cute, it's what's inside that counts...  

-ISS



Iron_Soul_Stealer #32 Posted May 15 2014 - 16:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postvalkyrie451, on May 14 2014 - 14:03, said:

 

Yea, that was some timing for sure.  That was their early period when their sound was a diamond in the "Ruff".   When I think back on it now, and remember the sound they were making at that moment vs. all the major air play stuff just as they got the exposure, you could hear all the "building blocks" being set in place.  Chris Noveselick stands pretty tall, lanky, etc. they were playing something that was definitely punk, mix of post 70's punk sound, mixed with a heavy hard rock, with that catchy, power driven sound, with Cobain pushing power on his vocals, and the drummer for some reason I cannot picture his face now?  was it channing or the drummer just before him (that I can't clearly remember.... but no matters... it was primordial Nirvana in the making for sure, developing its sound)

We were pretty intoxicated at the time, and what was funny was that the dance floor area even lit up with people trying to dance to it.  I also remember thinking, "how did they get started playing like this? This sound they are driving out with this shrill message in the music?"  They had the jeans with the holes in them, colored T-shirts, and Kurt had that shirt on with the face with "  X . X "   for eyes, and the squiggly face.

 

Too bad I didn't have a "up plugged" recording device or something to have recorded it?"   It would be sought after for sure, if I had that recording, but how do you know when you hear a band that one day they will be big in lights so quickly like that?   You could tell their sound was unique, maybe that's what got them to notice, and their will to poke a finger in the absurdity of the system around them?

 

yep, it almost makes me long for the 90's back again, not just musically, but in so many other ways.

 

....:veryhappy: Yep, ....broke 2 ribs, once, in a mosh pit, back in 94....to this day, I can still feel the pain in my side, when I laugh.....was it worth it..? You bet it was! Good times!

 

I actually feel kinda sorry for the younger, "Miley Cyrus"/post-war-generation...they seem absolutely lost. Especially the ones that were too young to really remember the 90's, and the great

cultural and inspirational music & art it brought forth. And to make matters worse, the youth of today, probably suffer from 'post-911-syndrome', you can almost see it in their eyes....and it's

sad to see what they have today for their 'pop-culture-icons'....:facepalm: Don't get me wrong, some of the newer stuff out there is OK, like Arcade Fire, out of Montreal, Canada. But generally speaking,

I think 911, and the 'war on terror', really screwed up a lot of people..possibly an entire generation...it's slowly getting better out there,   ...but it will take some more time...

 

*There's an old saying: The first casualty of war...is usually art...     and for the ten+ years that followed 911, it sure seemed that way...

-ISS


Edited by Iron_Soul_Stealer, May 15 2014 - 22:26.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users