Best Light Tank?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

99eagle99 #1 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 607 battles
Hey guys, Ive recently joined WOT and I love German Light Tanks. Can i get your opinion on which one you think is the best and why?

_Dia #2 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23717 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
Hands down the Leopard. 50mm sloped armor, so that just doubles protection, 50mm cannon with super-fast reload, and 558 (I think) HP engine. That's stronger than some heavy tank engines. Plus it's top speed of 68 m/h and good turning makes it top notch. Go for the Leopard, nothing else.

Only problem is you might get placed into high tier battles because it's a top end scout, so matchmaking puts it with heavies but if you get put into a low tier battle you will feel like god.

Whee #3 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:23

Major

• Players
  • 21493 battles
  • [USVCH] USVCH
Great! I'm glad to hear this! German Light tank lovers! Alright here's my opinion.

The best light tank in my opinion would definitely be the Light Tank VK 1602 Leopard because it's very suited for scouting and has really good maneuverability. If you can master this great tank, you be able to fulfill the light tank role. It also has better armor that are better than other light tanks which means you do survive a lot longer.

Rifleman223 #4 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3746 battles
  • [KARMA] KARMA
US Premium Light Tank, t42 i think its called, but very fast, 75 kmph, 20mm cannon

99eagle99 #5 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 607 battles
@Distant and Whee, Im glad your both saying the Leopard cause thats actually the tank i was working towards. Right now I'm on the Pzkpfw II and I actually have improved my combat compared to using the 35(t). My record is 6 kills with this compared to the 4 with 35(t). I guess its the FLAK i like using. Also Should I sell my 35t now that I'm not even working on that line? I already have it at Elite Status.

@Rifleman223 Thanks for your opinion also but I stick to German Tanks Only.

Danylu #6 Posted May 01 2011 - 15:43

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 7278 battles
Leopard has the most armour, A20 seems fastest (especially with the governor) and M5 Stuart has the lovely 75mm HE spam cannon.

That's at least my opinion from having extensively run (and loved) all three :)

Breacher #7 Posted May 01 2011 - 16:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5919 battles
for scouting purposes its the leopard hands down.. it is extremely maneuverable and very fast.. great for spotting and ducking in cover.. and the gun on it is good enough to take care of anything your tier maybe one up..

for blowing up stuff the m5 is where its at... little slower than the leo but the 75 on that tank is just loads of fun

JohnHenry #8 Posted May 01 2011 - 16:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You should be asking what tank if best for fighting. Leopard is best, but it gets dumped into matches where it cannot do anything worth mentioning. Same applies for Luchs.

The only light tanks that come to consideration are tier 2: PzII and Pz35. Everything else fails because game balance fails in the first place. I've played both excessivelly and P35 is quite good, but it runs out of ammo while the PzII is reduced to flak spamming making it useless at 300 meters and more. Both can be called good, but they excell in different situations.

Valeriadrina #9 Posted May 19 2011 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T2 light tank is nice too, really fast and small. But be wary of PzII:s and Pz35(t), you will have trouble penetrating them with 20mm autocannon.

KarateF22 #10 Posted May 20 2011 - 01:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12011 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Definitely leopard. Usually matchmaking bones you with it but if you end up as top tank its like driving a low tier IS-7. Also very fast and good view range

koVe #11 Posted May 20 2011 - 03:23

Private

• Players
  • 5663 battles
I've played all of them except the Stuart, and I think it just depends on your playstyle.  I'd probably say the Leo is the most well rounded for various types of play.  It's armor and hps help it in lower tier games and surviving a tiny bit longer after being spotted or tracked.  It's health, weight, and armor help in ramming art.. and it has 400 vision which is very good and important.  Has good acceleration and top speed to beat other scouts to a spot if you're just farming for credits.  Does well in lower tier games as well.

For suicide credit farming (just trying to get the spot bonus asap at the start of games and then trying to take an art or 2 out with u), the A-20 is the best.  It has the best speed in the game and one of the best transverses which makes it the most mobile tank in the game overall.  Has a couple different guns that are viable.  Not as good in lower tier games because of it's lack of armor and health, but can still use it's mobility and decent gun to do some work if you fire on the move (even against lower tier tanks).

The pz3 imo is the best tank in the game for it's tier.  It has dominant armor and the same gun as the other german scouts, letting you just fire away like a heavy in a lower tier game or fire on the move since it's more mobile than most of the other tanks too.  It has the best transverse in the game and this is really more important than top speed since you're weaving constantly once you're spotted to avoid shots and the pz3 retains speed better than the other scouts because of it's transverse speed.  It's not the best suicide scout though since it doesn't have the acceleration, top speed, or view range that the leo or A-20 have.. so it can get beaten to the enemy base if you're competing for spotting bonuses.  As a medium it doesn't have access to the highest tier games like tier 4 lights have access to, so if you are just farming credits with suicide runs, this is probably the tank to avoid.  But, if you want a scout that has extreme mobility with it's transverse and dominates lower tier games, I'd take the pz3.

I think the new pz38na is probably the best tank to play in competition or in a group.  While suicide scouting is great for funding other tanks, invisible scouting is really where a scout has the most impact.  With it's tiny profile I'd guess it's camo rating is the best out of this group (but hasn't been verified as far as I know).  It does have the best vision of any of the scouts.  It's lower speed, smaller engine, and lower weight wouldn't be a factor since it would be used to actually scout without being seen.  So the important stats to that are camo rating and vision range and it appears this tank has the best in both.

The stuart appears to be like a mid game anti-art tank and since I don't play my scouts like that, i haven't used this tank.

sadtankman #12 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 17:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 8316 battles
  • [REJEX] REJEX
:rolleyes::rolleyes::Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding::Smile-playing::Smile-playing::Smile_honoring::Smile_honoring::Smile_honoring::Smile-izmena::Smile_great::mellow::mellow::angry:                     :mellow::unsure::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp::Smile_harp:              :angry::lol::huh::D:):PB):P:D;)           :Smile_honoring:  :Smile-playing: You guys all answered ncorectly, the best light tanks ithe Amx 13 90 with it's over a thousound damage 6 round clip! :Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding::Smile-hiding::Smile_harp:<_<      :unsure::unsure::lol::huh::blink::blink::Smile_great::Smile-izmena:

DrewDoughty #13 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 18:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20945 battles
  • [TYR] TYR
Loltraktor rule the Worlds

GloryGirl #14 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 21:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2113 battles

View PostThekebecer, on Mar 27 2012 - 18:15, said:

Loltraktor rule the Worlds

I lol'd!

I have a Leo; fast, nice little punch, and if you can get in a tier 4 battle...look out!  :Smile-playing:

lacrose054 #15 Posted Apr 01 2012 - 18:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 31182 battles
  • [RIVEN] RIVEN
VK 2801 is my favorite German light with its 105 and speed.  I didn't like the Leo since it got put in too high tier games to be much fun.

TelexfreeTexas #16 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 05:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 24389 battles
  • [TEXAS] TEXAS
I dedicated myself to the German Tree, but have branched to the Soviet.  I am playing my leo, and love my PzIII.  I use my III A to practice different scouting techniques.  I get the feeling that some people went German Tree for the Maus.  I chose the the 3601 P over the H, but am trying the grind again to try a few routes.  I do not play premium, and the grind is murder, but the abilities that you can pickup are great.  Latest patch hurt the P desperately and I have to use lesser tiers to give the credits for repairing the P.  I don't regret my choice.  Scouting is dangerous, brawling with KV's is more so.  Some are better than others, depends on your play style.

bskiller18 #17 Posted Jul 30 2012 - 22:22

Private

• Players
  • 452 battles
yup im almost able to buy the leopard

Tazilon #18 Posted Jul 30 2012 - 23:08

Major

• Players
  • 58352 battles
  • [-40-] -40-
Current readers should be aware the VK-2801 was not in the game when this thread began.  It is much better than a Leopard - it can actually kill what it finds.

Odweaver #19 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 03:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 3330 battles
Posted Image
pz38na

Edited by Odweaver, Jul 31 2012 - 06:54.

Toasted_Rofls #20 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 06:20

Major

• Players
  • 9759 battles
VK 2801 was the worst tier 5 scout before the HE nerf but certainly the funnest to play. That was before the nerf. Post-Nerf the tank is no longer worth your time and the Leopard is completely outclassed by the T-50, which is pretty much broken, as is the T-50-2, the tank that comes after it.

HOWEVER, the Luchs is an amazing tank, probably the best tier 3 light tank in the game, and I would highly highly recommend it to anyone. If you actually want to be in a combat scout tank, you either need to stick to the bottom tiers, get a Chaffee or one of the AMX 13 series tanks. If you plan on doing scouting and scouting alone, the T-50 and its big brother the T-50-2 are the correct answer. If you just want a light tank because it is sexy the Leopard is the ticket.

If you only take one thing away from what I said, let it be that if you are dead set on German lights you pretty much need a Luchs. A++, excellent tank.