Pzkpfw II Luchs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

99eagle99 #1 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Can i get tips on how to destroy tanks in this tank? I always get matched with people 1-2 Tiers higher than me and my cannon doesn't do shit against them. What should i do?

Lert #2 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:17

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
First thing you should do is get it out of your head that you're a combat tank. Luchs is a fast, agile, thin-skinned scout. The long 5cm is a decent gun, but only against same-tier or lower vehicles. Your job isn't to take out the enemy heavies: your job is to spot them and avoid dying, so your team can take out the heavies. You get XP and credits for damage done to enemies lit up by you.

davedaaznlu #3 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
just circle tds and shoot them in rear. same for arty

99eagle99 #4 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Even why i try doing that, they just one shot me when they see mee

GRB_Duck #5 Posted May 01 2011 - 20:58

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Max out your engine and tracks and don't stop moving.
EVER.

Jaigenarc #6 Posted May 01 2011 - 21:25

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostGRB_Duck, on May 01 2011 - 20:58, said:

Max out your engine and tracks and don't stop moving.
EVER.

EVER!!! :Smile_great:

Lumina #7 Posted May 01 2011 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
1. Focus on upgrading your mobility, engine and such, stick with the 3.7cm gun if you do not have the 5cm gun and turret.  

2. If everything but radio is upgraded go for the turret and gun upgrades.  5cm Gun can penetrate a T1 Heavy, PzIII, PzIII/IV, PzIV counting on location you fire so definity want to use that gun, only carry AP rounds you can not carry enough rounds to waste on HE with the 5cm on the Luchs, HE will not be useful vs most targets anyways but annoying heavy targets anyways for such a small gun.  

3. Don't be a rusher... rushing does not equal scouting either.  Your main goal is to stay alive, if a heavier unit can do your job better in a match let them, tag along and give support as best as possible, wait for moments where you can flank enemy tanks which you can not penetrate head on.  

4. If you have no options at least try to disable an enemy target until they try to aim for you then duck for cover and get to cover.   Every bit helps even if you do little damage, damaging tracks slows their acceleration disabling stops them in their tracks.  

Those are the only things I can say but giving some where to shoot tips with 5cm gun only.

KV, oh darn... well the only place you can really be effective vs this beast is from the rear/side of it's default turret at close range, or at the rear from close range.  You can shoot at the side from close range but the zones you can penetrate are very small, hard to hit.  It's second turret turns very slow, avoid it's gun, get shots on it at close range from it's side and rear, if possible just get away form it, it's the hardest to penetrate with your 5cm gun.  Best you can do is distract a 155cm derp gun KV long enough for allies to do a beating.

PzIII Medium, easy... avoid it's front, the front armor on this tank makes it hard to penetrate head on, from the side and rear it is very easy, you're only danger is the fact the PzIII's turret can turn faster.

PzIV, just like the PzIII this thing is weak from the side/rear, very weak at that, though it's better protected from a distance than the PzIII vs your 5cm gun.  Pretty much same story.  Though with this tank if he is using the Darth Vadar Helm Turret you can absolutely rape a PzIV at close range as long as no one else is shooting at you, just avoid his gun, his side/rear is easy target since the chassis sits high off the tracks, avoid shooting his turret it's slope/armor is just normally too good for the 5cm gun even at close range it bounces every other shot.  

Lee, *laughs* even from the front you can penetrate but like everything else it's best to avoid that front, actually specially this tank since it's main gun can hurt quite a bit, disable it's tracks shoot it from the side, it will die in about 4-5 penetrating hits.

T1 Heavy, this is difficult though nothing like the KV, from the rear and side it's very vulnurable for a Heavy tank.  If you aim just below the turret and above the tracks, you can penetrate every single shot at close range, the rear same story, it may take a lot of shots, around 7-9 if not even more... but it's possible to beat a T1 Heavy with a Luchs if you can avoid his gun.  

M6 Heavy, just an upped armored T1 Heavy, nearly as easy, just a tad more difficult, though I've only defeated 1 ever...... with a Luchs.

This are all the tanks I can think of at the moment... Tanks like the Ram-II, M7 medium, kiss your rump good bye.  They will just beat you just about every time, since they have enough HP/firepower and rate of fire to jus tout fight you any day unless you can just ping them from a distance without them catching you.  

Hope this helps with some of the enemy tanks.  Tank destroyers and SPGs it's pretty much a no brainer, blast their tracks, then shootem up, if they fix tracks blast those tracks off again make them helpless.

99eagle99 #8 Posted May 02 2011 - 03:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLumina, on May 01 2011 - 23:50, said:

1. Focus on upgrading your mobility, engine and such, stick with the 3.7cm gun if you do not have the 5cm gun and turret.  

2. If everything but radio is upgraded go for the turret and gun upgrades.  5cm Gun can penetrate a T1 Heavy, PzIII, PzIII/IV, PzIV counting on location you fire so definity want to use that gun, only carry AP rounds you can not carry enough rounds to waste on HE with the 5cm on the Luchs, HE will not be useful vs most targets anyways but annoying heavy targets anyways for such a small gun.  

3. Don't be a rusher... rushing does not equal scouting either.  Your main goal is to stay alive, if a heavier unit can do your job better in a match let them, tag along and give support as best as possible, wait for moments where you can flank enemy tanks which you can not penetrate head on.  

4. If you have no options at least try to disable an enemy target until they try to aim for you then duck for cover and get to cover.   Every bit helps even if you do little damage, damaging tracks slows their acceleration disabling stops them in their tracks.  

Those are the only things I can say but giving some where to shoot tips with 5cm gun only.

KV, oh darn... well the only place you can really be effective vs this beast is from the rear/side of it's default turret at close range, or at the rear from close range.  You can shoot at the side from close range but the zones you can penetrate are very small, hard to hit.  It's second turret turns very slow, avoid it's gun, get shots on it at close range from it's side and rear, if possible just get away form it, it's the hardest to penetrate with your 5cm gun.  Best you can do is distract a 155cm derp gun KV long enough for allies to do a beating.

PzIII Medium, easy... avoid it's front, the front armor on this tank makes it hard to penetrate head on, from the side and rear it is very easy, you're only danger is the fact the PzIII's turret can turn faster.

PzIV, just like the PzIII this thing is weak from the side/rear, very weak at that, though it's better protected from a distance than the PzIII vs your 5cm gun.  Pretty much same story.  Though with this tank if he is using the Darth Vadar Helm Turret you can absolutely rape a PzIV at close range as long as no one else is shooting at you, just avoid his gun, his side/rear is easy target since the chassis sits high off the tracks, avoid shooting his turret it's slope/armor is just normally too good for the 5cm gun even at close range it bounces every other shot.  

Lee, *laughs* even from the front you can penetrate but like everything else it's best to avoid that front, actually specially this tank since it's main gun can hurt quite a bit, disable it's tracks shoot it from the side, it will die in about 4-5 penetrating hits.

T1 Heavy, this is difficult though nothing like the KV, from the rear and side it's very vulnurable for a Heavy tank.  If you aim just below the turret and above the tracks, you can penetrate every single shot at close range, the rear same story, it may take a lot of shots, around 7-9 if not even more... but it's possible to beat a T1 Heavy with a Luchs if you can avoid his gun.  

M6 Heavy, just an upped armored T1 Heavy, nearly as easy, just a tad more difficult, though I've only defeated 1 ever...... with a Luchs.

This are all the tanks I can think of at the moment... Tanks like the Ram-II, M7 medium, kiss your rump good bye.  They will just beat you just about every time, since they have enough HP/firepower and rate of fire to jus tout fight you any day unless you can just ping them from a distance without them catching you.  

Hope this helps with some of the enemy tanks.  Tank destroyers and SPGs it's pretty much a no brainer, blast their tracks, then shootem up, if they fix tracks blast those tracks off again make them helpless.

All this info is very much appreciated. I have fully upgrade the luchs now and have been testing out everyones tips in game and I have to say I have been making a big improvement in the way I play. I went from getting my ass stomped to being able to take out a few tanks and even spot some others for my teams arty. You were right about the PzIIIs being easy, Ive been going up against alot of them in battle and have been able to circle them and destroy them from behind with ease. Still having a hard time with those damn heavies though but I just distract them or take out their tracks and run.

Lumina #9 Posted May 02 2011 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
You will have a hard time with Heavy's you are a light tank.   They take some hard work to take down, if that heavy tank is smart he may not put himself into a position that allows something like a PzII Luchs to take him down though normally you can still contribute some damage, getting a few pop shots off on the side or rear after flanking if you know the flank is secure.   Most heavies the 5cm gun on the PzII Luch will have a hard time penetrating from a distance, it's at close range you can penetrate quite often if not every shot vs weak points on say the T1 Heavy, and M6.  

When facing enemy Tank Destroyers or SPGs always try to knock out their tracks, even use their disabled hulls as cover from other enemies while you finish your foe off.  Did this yestorday with the Luchs, took out a BT-7 light tank, then dodged artillery shells, hide around a hill until I figured my dot on their screen vanished, then made a dash to where the artillery fire was coming from, killed two artillery guns very easily, just by blasting out their tracks, they never had a chance to fire back.  I was lucky that the enemy StugIII did not get a single hit on me, since his first shot missed and i know where he was after that, I used a T57 SPG as cover from his shells as I killed him, and the other SPG which was a SU-18?  I think... Very easy... then I used both dead SPGs as cover when I made a dash for safety I thought it safe to rejoin allies at the enemy flag. lol

Zobmie #10 Posted May 03 2011 - 19:12

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just got the Luchs and the enjoyability curve with it is STEEP without the upgraded engine and suspension.  Without the upgrades the thing is fragile and slow.  Not a great combination.

dred50 #11 Posted May 08 2011 - 17:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
What are the best module upgrade for the luchs? IS it 10% aiming speed, or coated optics? Or goggles?

RolandVH #12 Posted May 08 2011 - 23:32

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdred50, on May 08 2011 - 17:49, said:

What are the best module upgrade for the luchs? IS it 10% aiming speed, or coated optics? Or goggles?

I'm currently using Coated Optics, Spall Liner, and Camo Net [I had a spare net from moving from Jagdpanzer to Jagdpanther]

Makes for a very good scout for my clan's company battles.

Orkel2 #13 Posted May 09 2011 - 13:32

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
First get the tracks, then the engine, the gun isn't necessary for a light so get those last.

Usa_Rox_All #14 Posted May 10 2011 - 03:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostJaigenarc, on May 01 2011 - 21:25, said:

EVER!!! :Smile_great:

EVER!!!!!!!!!:Smile-izmena:  :Smile-izmena:  :Smile-izmena:  :Smile-izmena:  :Smile-izmena:

HairySteveUK #15 Posted May 10 2011 - 20:47

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've fully upgraded my Luchs and have been using it in games for a couple of days now, one thing I love about it is how manoeuverable it is, you can be hurtling along at full speed, and you can just turn instantly. I agree that for the first few games with the standard Luchs it was basically cannon fodder for the enemy, I had no speed, no armor and a rubbish gun and spent most of the time hiding from bigger tanks, but I carried on and bought the better tracks, engines etc. What I tend to do now is wait a few seconds at the start of the game to see where people go (especially on maps I've not played much), then join up with a group of heavies or tank destroyers, scout ahead of them a bit, hide in some cover and wait for them to catch me up, then scout on a bit further. That seems to work, and I usually end up spotting half a dozen targets for the heavies and artillery. As has been said, the 50mm is a good gun if used correctly, but you have to be either very good or very lucky to get many kills with a Luchs.

The most I've got (so far!) is 3 kills, which was near the end of a game when there were 4 enemy left versus me and two artilleries who I'd been spotting for from the top of a hill. Three tanks tried attacking across a railway embankment but got taken out by a KV which I spotted but couldn't hit. I drove down and hid behind the embankment until the KV lost me on its map, the drove up the embankment, fired a couple of rounds at the KV to get its attention, then ducked down behind the railway embankment, charged into a village where a damaged Panzerjager was waiting, finished that off, then went back and finished off the KV which my artillery had shot up. Then I found an enemy artillery and blew it up from the side after charging at it and shooting its tracks off, and had just located the final enemy artillery when one of my artilleries won the game for us by sitting on the enemy flag. :)

If you can pair up with a heavy then that works very well. I was playing the "cliff" map earlier today, I got into the field where the enemy's flag was, and found myself facing a Hetzer and two artillery pieces. I charged at the Hetzer and shot it a couple of times, and managed to circle it util a KV came within range and took it out, then charged at the artillery guns. I took one out and the KV took the other out. Worked really well, as I was moving too quickly for the Hetzer or either of the artilleries to get a shot on me, plus they were concentrating on me and didn't notice the KV.

One last thing which I'd assume is blindingly obvious, but if you're going to charge an artillery piece, wait until just after it's fired so it doesn't blow you to pieces as you apprach :D
-Steve

SgtPeppa #16 Posted May 11 2011 - 23:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostZobmie, on May 03 2011 - 19:12, said:

Just got the Luchs and the enjoyability curve with it is STEEP without the upgraded engine and suspension.  Without the upgrades the thing is fragile and slow.  Not a great combination.

Would have to agree here. I just started researching the Luchs II with only the 2nd tier engine (200hp) and the upgraded tracks. About the only thing I'm good for is sticking with the artys and helping them out from rushers. Other then that, I'm pretty much a free kill unless it's down to 5 tanks on either side and I can pick some stragglers off.

So... very... painful...

What I don't understand is why don't the light tanks get a better engine at stock. Honestly, I think I maxed out at 25 km/h going downhill!

Or at least take some of the vehicles parts rather then their tier in some instances. Going against KV's and other higher tier tanks at the Luchs II's laughable speed and pathetic cannon.

Lumina #17 Posted May 11 2011 - 23:58

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSgtPeppa, on May 11 2011 - 23:00, said:

Would have to agree here. I just started researching the Luchs II with only the 2nd tier engine (200hp) and the upgraded tracks. About the only thing I'm good for is sticking with the artys and helping them out from rushers. Other then that, I'm pretty much a free kill unless it's down to 5 tanks on either side and I can pick some stragglers off.

So... very... painful...

What I don't understand is why don't the light tanks get a better engine at stock. Honestly, I think I maxed out at 25 km/h going downhill!

Or at least take some of the vehicles parts rather then their tier in some instances. Going against KV's and other higher tier tanks at the Luchs II's laughable speed and pathetic cannon.
Just stick with the 3.7cm gun stay back, and snipe... focus on getting  your lovely engines first.  I unlocked both engines after just a few rounds...  Then work on suspension upgrade, since you can not even use the heavier turret without.   What is nice about the heavier turret though it can bounce 2cm rounds and even 3.7cm rounds from medium-long range, very useful vs a lot of other light tanks.   I even had it bounce heavier rounds from angled hits.  You can use the 2cm gun if you wish, though it's far more useful at close range than the 3.7cm gun, but almost useless at a distance.  If you get your engine/suspension upgraded and can get close to targets finally a 2cm auto cannon may be a better choice though counts on playing style.  Some even use it when they get a full upgraded luchs just for the slightly lighter weight, which = greater acceleration.  

I stated earlier you can defeat many of the higher tier tanks with some work, since they are higher tier tanks they should be much harder to defeat, but defeating them does give much exp/credits.  I can just gloat that since Release I've not been killed by a Leopard in the Luchs yet, yet killed a couple of them.. in one vs one dog fights, the Luch just turns so tight.... Once you get to the side of a Leopard, it's slopped armor becomes less useful a smart Leopard would just shoot you froma  distance where you 5cm gun is useless vs it's slopped front armor but nope... most just love to Rush around at high speed.... easy targets... Speed means nothing when it comes to dodging shells, just getting from point A and B faster.  This can be said about so many tanks.  Vs lighter targets you have enough firepower to pop them from a distance, kill the scouts, then you have a good chance to get closer to the heavier targets close enough to penetrate.  Getting the 5cm gun is key for all of that. 5cm is the primary gun for German Tier III-IV tanks, it is wise to get used to it, learn it's weaknesses, then learn how to penetrate tanks you'd once thought unbeatable with it.  PzIII medium and Leopard get an even better 5cm gun but not that much better.

Blue_Flame #18 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 16:02

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I use my Luchs as both a scout and as a combat tank. I usually get 3+ kills per battle by flanking the enemy and destroying their artillery and tank destroyers. I would recommend a loadout of 30 AP and 20 HE, as HE is good for quickly destroyed arty and most low-tier tank destroyers. Just flank the enemy, don't stop moving, and shoot at close range - don't waste your ammo. Also, don't forget to bring a repair kit. The same goes for most light tanks, because if your tracks or engine are destroyed, you're dead.

Scaevola #19 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 03:50

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I won't comment on module choices, but for equipment choice I went with Vents, Optics, and Spall Liner. This works best for active scouting (and ramming tier 4s for kamikaze medals >_>.)

Don't bother with Toolbox because even with that and 100% repair it takes too long to repair the tracks under fire. If you get tracked under fire you probably won't have to worry about arty before you die anyhow, which is the main reason why you'd want optimum repairs on tracks. You don't have the HP to wait that long.

You desperately need vents because they boost your crew performance. You want your driver at his best performance for active scouting and circle strafing.

I chose spall liner last because I don't really bother with the gun laying drive nor the rammer. There's really no point in doing so when you use the 2cm flak to scout and or circle strafe. Gun Laying drive only helps if you stay still to shoot and Rammer is irrelevant when the flak's job is secondary to staying away from the business end of their gun. I use it for surviving the occasional rams that I need to do, and at 180 hp it is VERY helpful. (In a max speed head on collision I died instantly to BT-7 and he gets off with 15%. It was awesome.)

Optics are expensive but is a no brainer for active scouting.

You can always go with camo nets however. If I recall lights can move through cover without damaging their camo value, and MAYBE the camo net helps that. I haven't bothered as I primarily do active scouting and don't tend to run full speed in the woods. Seriously the Luchs loses almost all its momentum after only one tree.

Edit: Due to forum recommendation I installed the Suspension upgrade rather than the Spall Liner. Spall Liner is pretty useless for a light and they say that torsion bars boosts track module HP.

derpTacular #20 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 05:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just sold my A-20 after completing the grind for T-34 and decided to buy the Luchs instead... wow. What a difference. In comparison to the A-20, the Luchs feels godlike with an engine upgraded all the way. Simply loving it. All I did was pretty much speed down the flanks, circle the lone straggles while pumping them full of lead and then move on. I get ~2 kills a game like that (of course these are Tier 3 battles). So much fun compared to the A-20! Hope the Leo will be as much fun :Smile_great: