Tank Hitboxes/Impact Zones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

digital0verdose #1 Posted May 02 2011 - 16:41

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
How detailed are the hitboxes for the tanks?

Are they custom to each tank?

xGear #2 Posted May 02 2011 - 16:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Where ever the module is in real life is more or less where it is in-game, if that's what you mean :P

digital0verdose #3 Posted May 02 2011 - 16:57

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostxGear, on May 02 2011 - 16:44, said:

Where ever the module is in real life is more or less where it is in-game, if that's what you mean :P
WHat I mean is, if I shoot the space between the turret and the body of the tank, will the game pick this up or will it see the shot as a hit to just the body or the turret?

KoopaKrab #4 Posted May 02 2011 - 17:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdigital0verdose, on May 02 2011 - 16:57, said:

WHat I mean is, if I shoot the space between the turret and the body of the tank, will the game pick this up or will it see the shot as a hit to just the body or the turret?

I'm actually curious about this too.  I remember a few days ago there was a t34 facehugging me, and when I hit the shot trap between the turret and body of the tank, it still bounced. I was in a PzKpfw IV with the T6 gun, so the chances of bouncing were low to begin with, but with the location I hit the shot should have gone right through.

KoopaK

digital0verdose #5 Posted May 02 2011 - 21:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I found this over here: http://forum.worldof...egy-visualized/

ARMOR VISUALIZED

This visualizes armor values and weak points.  Of course, this doesn't show the interior of the tanks and their modules in 3D (though, that's something I can work on). This section will be expanded in more detail as I have time.  For now, it's to simply show the armor values and general weak points.

Posted Image

When looking at the diagram above, remember that the angle of impact is taken into account.  The steeper the angle, the more likely it is the shell won't penetrate.  Because of this, hitting thick armor that's facing you can score more damage than hitting thin armor at an acute angle.

EXAMPLES:

Light Tanks:

BT-2 Front
BT-2 Rear

T1 Cuttingham Front
T1 Cuttingham Rear

Medium Tanks:

M3 Lee Front
M3 Lee Rear

M4A3E8 Sherman Front
M4A3E8 Sherman Rear

T-34-85 Front
T-34-85 Rear

Tank Destroyers:

Hetzer Front
Hetzer Rear

_Mark #6 Posted May 03 2011 - 00:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdigital0verdose, on May 02 2011 - 16:41, said:

How detailed are the hitboxes for the tanks?

Are they custom to each tank?
Yes, they are customized to each tank. The World of Tanks Developers use the schematics from real-life tanks when putting them into the game. For example, if a T-44's schematics said the ammo rack was inside the rear of the turret, then the in-game T-44 would also have an ammo rack inside its turret.

View Postdigital0verdose, on May 02 2011 - 16:57, said:

From what I've personally seen, the game is able to "tell" if you hit them in between the turret/body. In that scenario, you'd either damage or destroy their turret traverse. A lot of it boils down to probability percentages, though. They designed the game to not be "programmable" (aka, always aim here to disable this tank). Sometimes it will work with devastating results, and sometimes it won't.