Jump to content


multi core support? when?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
289 replies to this topic

crazy_tanker #1 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:12

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    11-17-2010
When are you people going to implement multi-core and SLI?? Its a 95% perfect game just waiting for the rest 5%...

1SHOWER1 #2 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:29

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 158
  • Member since:
    10-01-2010
BIG +1 ^

Brock7142 #3 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,675
  • Member since:
    03-05-2011

View Postcrazy_tanker, on May 07 2011 - 14:12, said:

When are you people going to implement multi-core and SLI?? Its a 95% perfect game just waiting for the rest 5%...

you do know, that only a small percentage compared to the whole of computer users currently have multi-core processors, right?

METAL666nz #4 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:46

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 254
  • Member since:
    02-01-2011
i think just about any good pc is multicore but not many average ppl have sli/crossfire.

Blaze200 #5 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:48

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 582
  • Member since:
    09-04-2010

View PostBrock7142, on May 07 2011 - 14:39, said:

you do know, that only a small percentage compared to the whole of computer users currently have multi-core processors, right?

Huh...unless you mean quad cores or hexacores, plenty of people who play games have dual cores. Even the average home computer has at least a dual core.

crazy_tanker #6 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:49

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    11-17-2010
But SLI and multi core support is an integral part of any game now. A 2D game too will have SLI and multi-core nowadays so why leave behind WoT? :P

Keifomofutu #7 Posted May 07 2011 - 14:57

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 895
  • Member since:
    07-29-2010
Yeah my computer is 5 years old and has dual core. Pretty much everyone in the whole north american and probably european market is multicore. This should be a priority. WOT runs fairly poorly on some pretty decent systems for exactly this reason.

Konflict #8 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:05

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 733
  • Member since:
    10-11-2010
Plus we even overclock our systems to get the max out of them. :)

Intel 975x 8 threads @ 4.0ghz, 2x Gigabyte 460gtx SOC, and only 1 thread and 1 graphics card used :(

It may be a limitation of the bigworldtech engine, I do not know.

SuperBuds #9 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:16

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 35
  • Member since:
    05-06-2011
Nevermind, my point has been covered several times.

+ Dual core support plox.

Diastant #10 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:18

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 3,522
  • Member since:
    08-17-2010
I'm guessing multi-core is just some more coding to do.

Some people are upset that how that when they run World of Tanks, their i7 has one core running at 90% and the other 5 or 6 at 5%.

Brock7142 #11 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,675
  • Member since:
    03-05-2011
are you talking multi-core as in quad core, or dual core?

Because then you have to figure in actual processing power of each computer.

Snib #12 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:40

    First lieutenant

  • Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles
  • 996
  • Member since:
    07-16-2010

View PostBrock7142, on May 07 2011 - 14:39, said:

you do know, that only a small percentage compared to the whole of computer users currently have multi-core processors, right?

View PostBrock7142, on May 07 2011 - 15:21, said:

are you talking multi-core as in quad core, or dual core?

Because then you have to figure in actual processing power of each computer.

Oh hai Brock. You have now convinced me that you are not actually trolling all the time but that in fact you simply do not have the slightest idea what you are talking about. I will thus stop trolling you back from now on since hitting someone already on the ground isn't my style. :blink:

SuperBuds #13 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:45

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 35
  • Member since:
    05-06-2011

View PostSnib, on May 07 2011 - 15:40, said:

Oh hai Brock. You have now convinced me that you are not actually trolling all the time but that in fact you simply do not have the slightest idea what you are actually talking about. I will thus stop trolling you back from now on since hitting someone already on the ground isn't my style. :blink:
I <3 this.

Subbota #14 Posted May 07 2011 - 15:50

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 830
  • Member since:
    07-15-2010
I don't understand what you guys are expecting to get out of multi-core support.  The CPU usage is pretty light in WoT because there's no AI or other complex background processing going on.  My CPU usage never goes above 35% during the game.

In my opinion going multi-core would add complexity without any benefit.

Cragger #15 Posted May 07 2011 - 16:00

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,092
  • Member since:
    07-07-2010

View PostSubbota, on May 07 2011 - 15:50, said:

I don't understand what you guys are expecting to get out of multi-core support.  The CPU usage is pretty light in WoT because there's no AI or other complex background processing going on.  My CPU usage never goes above 35% during the game.

In my opinion going multi-core would add complexity without any benefit.

You do realize that the CPU does a lot more then AI routines? CPU is the gate to the GPU, GPU can't do a thing until the CPU instructs it to do it and only as fast as the CPU can give it instructions and data to work with. Multi-core support would mean higher and more stable frame rates for a great swath of people using low power (mobile, laptop) dual cores and just generally anyone that has bought a computer since 2004.

Subbota #16 Posted May 07 2011 - 16:06

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 830
  • Member since:
    07-15-2010

View PostCragger, on May 07 2011 - 16:00, said:

You do realize that the CPU does a lot more then AI routines? CPU is the gate to the GPU, GPU can't do a thing until the CPU instructs it to do it and only as fast as the CPU can give it instructions and data to work with. Multi-core support would mean higher and more stable frame rates for a great swath of people using low power (mobile, laptop) dual cores and just generally anyone that has bought a computer since 2004.

No.

Anyone who has bought a computer since 2004 already has enough CPU power in a single core to play WoT at max settings.  If you have a frame rate problem it's in your GPU.

SuperBuds #17 Posted May 07 2011 - 16:18

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 35
  • Member since:
    05-06-2011
Then why does everything else I run on my GTS450 (Not spectacular, but gets the job done) on max settings and this isn't? My PC blows this game's requirements away and it runs at a mix of high/med settings with a couple things turned off. Other games I set to max settings, then force AA/AF/SS/HQ/Additional filters through my panel and they all run @ 50+.

Tindertwig #18 Posted May 07 2011 - 16:19

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 238
  • Member since:
    02-13-2011

View PostSubbota, on May 07 2011 - 16:06, said:

No.

Anyone who has bought a computer since 2004 already has enough CPU power in a single core to play WoT at max settings.  If you have a frame rate problem it's in your GPU.
Oh really? the why is it that my 3.2Ghz quad core CPU has 1 core running at 95% when playing? I also don't have a frame rate problem as I average about 40fps. Quite frankly you have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Subbota #19 Posted May 07 2011 - 17:04

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 830
  • Member since:
    07-15-2010

View PostTindertwig, on May 07 2011 - 16:19, said:

Oh really? the why is it that my 3.2Ghz quad core CPU has 1 core running at 95% when playing? I also don't have a frame rate problem as I average about 40fps. Quite frankly you have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Because you've got other crap running on your system.  My CPU is much slower than yours and as I said never goes above 35% during a game.

Ricox #20 Posted May 07 2011 - 17:25

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,289
  • Member since:
    07-22-2010

View PostBrock7142, on May 07 2011 - 14:39, said:

you do know, that only a small percentage compared to the whole of computer users currently have multi-core processors, right?

What are you even talking about? I'm pretty sure that single-core computers aren't even being sold anymore (maybe in some kind of stores where they sell used computers with Windows 98 installed). Any normal gamer has a multi-core processor. Single-core processors can't even run most of the good games.

And what y'all are talking about? I personally have double-core processor and I haven't ever had any framerate issues.

Anyways, it isn't just adding 5 lines of easy-peasy script into the .exe to make a game multi-core supported. From what I know it requires changing the whole engine, which would be waste of resources at the moment as there are other priorities (atleast according to forums everyone wants 6.4 and American TDs, not multi-core support).

EDIT: Brock, now that I read your 2nd post, I can tell you that the person that said that you have no slightest idea of what you're saying is fully correct. And multi is multi, it can be double, triple, quadruple or whatever you want it to be.