Strongholds Q&A

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

Hypnotik #1 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 01:16

Web Developer

• Administrator
  • 16655 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Please ask your questions regarding the upcoming Strongholds game mode here.

SlyGambit #2 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 17:21

Captain

• Players
  • 25721 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HuUYBarIM94#t=202

"In this game mode you will fight with similar clans..."

Similar?

The concept of skill-based matchmaking has not been completely eliminated, but in the first release, skirmishes will use a matchmaking system like that of Company Battles. In this context "similar" refers to other clans who are playing the same level of Skirmishes (medium, champion, absolute).

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:11.

tankerz325 #3 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 17:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 26871 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

I am guessing it will be with clans that are looking for the same resources as your clan or either it will be based off of WG'in player rating.  

SlyGambit #4 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 18:21

Captain

• Players
  • 25721 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

No offense but I'm not really looking for guesses. They also make clear in the vid that there is only one resource and the level you play (med/champ/abs) in Raid mode will determine the amount of each resource you can earn.  But the resource is the universal 'industrial points'.

The only question I had is what that 'similar' means. It hints at skill based matchmaking but there are certainly different approaches that WG could take to achieve that. They could use individuals in the clan, individuals playing in that particular battle, or they could use a clan based ranking MM either derived from results in this mode or by external clan data/activity like CW, number of TX tanks, etc.

So.

Similar? ;)

(answered above)

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:11.

Katukov #5 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 18:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 62837 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

Can I built a stronghold level 99, and then drop members count to 14 so no one could attack me?

Strongholds only go up to level 10 (however only up to 4 in the first release version). You can be attacked after you reach level 5 or higher, regardless of how many players are in your clan at the time.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:16.

SlyGambit #6 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 18:49

Captain

• Players
  • 25721 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostHypnotik, on Jun 18 2014 - 20:16, said:

Has there been any consideration of putting a 'minimum' vehicle tier in each raid style? 

There has been consideration of it, but not any commitment to a minimum tier at this time. As you can see in this still frame, the tiers listed are I-VI, I-VIII, and I-X.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:18.

PresidentJ #7 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 18:55

Captain

• Players
  • 24865 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

Is there sufficient incentive to get clans to actually participate in these skirmishes, because Tank companies have been for the most part have been dead/ abysmal on the U.S. server for some time now. 

There is. Each Skirmish battle will provide your clan with the Strongholds currency, known as "Industrial Resource". When you build up this industrial resource, clans can develop "Reserves", which are basically boosts to your earnings in all types of battles (including random battles). Industrial Resource also allows you to level up your structures, which makes your Reserves give you bigger boosts. You can use the Reserves whenever your clan decides will be most beneficial to you. To see a full list of the Reserves that are available, see this page (about 2/3 of the way down).

To put it simply, by doing well in Skirmish battles and improving your Stronghold, you can make XP, Credit, and Crew XP grinding go much faster.

Tytoo #8 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 18:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28377 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Is it possible to have a list of all the bonus available ? I saw something close to "+8% free xp per battle" in the ASAP video.

To see a full list of the Reserves that are available, see this page (about 2/3 of the way down). The effectiveness of these bonuses is based on the level of the corresponding. Higher levels obviously will yield more effective Reserves.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:28.

Yanozha #9 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 19:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23552 battles

If your in a clan you cant create a test clan to even see the set up ? , and Deputy Commanders have no access ?  , thats more than a glitch if you ask me.

Deputy Commanders should have access to Strongholds. If you think you have discovered a bug, please see this post to learn how to report it.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:32.

Echo_Sniper #10 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 19:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20341 battles
  • [OTT-V] OTT-V

View PostTytoo, on Jun 19 2014 - 13:59, said:

Is it possible to have a list of all the bonus available ? I saw something close to "+8% free xp per battle" in the ASAP video.

There was one of the previous portal post that gave a couple of exemples of bonuses. Said up to 50% in XP, free XP, crew XP and credits.

My question is, who will be able to manage the stronghold? If it's only the commander, it's kind of weird. At least create a special rank for the management of strongholds.

There will be a full table published fairly soon containing all of the permissions, however here's a brief description:

Commander - Create/Delete Stronghold, Manage Clan Settings (such as time for defending one's own Stronghold), + everything below

Dep Comm - Open/Close a "Zone" (each road), build structures, manage Reserves, Attack enemy Strongholds, + everything below

Field Comm - Manage Skirmish teams, + everything below

All others - Ability to choose which structure their share of battle earnings apply to, create Skirmish teams, view information about your own clan's stronghold

Also, where is the clan management page?

If you mean on the portal, it's in the same place as it is on our Live server. If not, could you please elaborate?

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:43.

_Koi #11 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 19:28

Major

• Players
  • 19559 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

Q: will there be a dev diary or vid further explaining this game mode?

A: https://www.youtube....h?v=HuUYBarIM94

Q: will it reward extra gold,xp, credits, and/or a new type of resource from random battles with the "bonuses"?

A: Strongholds reward a new currency called "Industrial Currency". It can be used to a) Create "Reserves", which are boosts to things like XP, Free XP, Credits, Crew XP...  and b) level-up your stronghold to improve the effectiveness of these Reserves.

Q: will it play (ish) like a "tower defense" style game?

A: There is an aspect of it that can be seen as similar to tower defense, but that isn't the entirety of this game mode. While the fact that you try to defend your base is similar in concept, that's really the only point to tower defense games. In Strongholds, you're fighting other clans to gain a new type of currency to get better rewards for your clan. Instead of the game ending and all being lost after one side loses the battles, you'll be able to continue on without restarting from nothing.

Q: im confused about whether it is single player, time shifted multiplayer, or what.

A: It's multi-player. You earn your clan's resources by battling other clans. In the future, when you are able to raid other clans' Strongholds, you will be able to set what time you want as your Clan's daily defense window.

Q: do you play on a map (1st-3rd person) or with the birds eye view?

like this:

Spoiler

or like this:

Spoiler

or will the game-play include both aspects?

A: Battles take place in-game, and management of your clan's Stronghold takes place on the interface shown in the video.

Q: will there be less lagg/ping/microfreezes due to less people playing and small maps?

A: It'll be just like regular battles.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 21:59.

Valan #12 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 20:37

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles

View PostHypnotik, on Jun 19 2014 - 02:16, said:

Who determines when a given clan's 'stronghold' is to be 'attacked'?

Your clan's commander is able to set your defense time. It will be a one-hour window. You can attack other clans whenever their battle windows are active.

Do both clans have to be online concurrently? Or not?

Asking because of timing issues... not every clan plays at 'prime time'.

Yes, both clans must be on at the same time. The battle takes place within the defender's pre-chosen defense period. The attacker will know when this time is when they are attacking the other clan (if they're paying attention, anyway).

Can you explain in greater detail how the 'mine fields' & pill boxes will operate in Stronghold mode?

Is this for a type of an NPC mode versus attackers, if a given Clan is offline? 

They will be implemented as "Combat Consumables". Clans will be able to develop them for use in battle alongside their own players. These are scheduled for the 3rd update of this game mode, so nothing is final yet.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 22:06.

bugwar #13 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 22:22

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 25321 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

Sounds almost good enough to convince me to join a clan.

I will keep an eye on this feature.

Thanks for the effort in developing it.

Echo_Sniper #14 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 22:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20341 battles
  • [OTT-V] OTT-V

View PostEcho_Sniper, on Jun 19 2014 - 14:27, said:

Also, where is the clan management page?

If you mean on the portal, it's in the same place as it is on our Live server. If not, could you please elaborate?

I meant about the clan management on the test server.

Your clan would be here:

http://portal-ct.wor...000008386-KRAF/

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 23:46.

Tytoo #15 Posted Jun 19 2014 - 23:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28377 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostValan, on Jun 19 2014 - 15:37, said:

Who determines when a given clan's 'stronghold' is to be 'attacked'?

Your clan's commander is able to set your defense time. It will be a one-hour window. You can attack other clans whenever their battle windows are active.

Setting a active window to be from 2AM to 3AM could become a problem, no ?

Good luck defending when you get attacked at those hours. Someone in another clan will be awake to tech. victory against you.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 19 2014 - 23:48.

bdjnscale #16 Posted Jun 20 2014 - 00:06

Private

• Players
  • 3655 battles
  • [_RG_] _RG_
Why must it have 20 players to be able to create a stronghold.. I'm trying to test it out so I made a test clan but since it needs 20 players i can't test... why...just why...?

Tytoo #17 Posted Jun 20 2014 - 00:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28377 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostTytoo, on Jun 19 2014 - 18:29, said:

View PostValan, on Jun 19 2014 - 15:37, said:

Who determines when a given clan's 'stronghold' is to be 'attacked'?

Setting a active window to be from 2AM to 3AM could become a problem, no ?

Good luck defending when you get attacked at those hours. Someone in another clan will be awake to tech. victory against you.

So you confirm, there is no plan to limit hours where stronghold is open to attack to "normal" CW time ?

As of right now, it's completely your choice. That doesn't mean that is the way it will be in the future, or even at release. Remember that this is only a test that we have put up.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 20 2014 - 00:43.

Colddawg #18 Posted Jun 20 2014 - 03:42

Major

• Players
  • 42981 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

What are the requirements to being able to log in to the test server?  Do you have to have so many battles or have at least one battle in before the test starts?

If not, then our CO is having issues logging in.

A: The only requirement is that his account must have been created before June 16. For a clan to show up on that server, it must have also been created before June 16. If you have changed your password since then, the old password would be the one that works on the test server.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 23 2014 - 19:06.

AnUnderdog #19 Posted Jun 20 2014 - 14:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31493 battles
  • [LEAP] LEAP

Will Stongholds be replacing Tank Companies, or will both options exist?

A: They will both exist for now. In the future, we'll see.

Edited by Hypnotik, Jun 23 2014 - 19:09.

Flashram #20 Posted Jun 20 2014 - 14:54

Captain

• Players
  • 18085 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostEcho_Sniper, on Jun 19 2014 - 22:49, said:

Your clan would be here:

http://portal-ct.wor...000008386-KRAF/

That page is in Russian. I see an option to change to english but it does not work. (Using Firefox 30)

EDIT: Nvm, if anyone is having this problem you need to delete cookies and cache

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users