Tiger I Frustrating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
289 replies to this topic

prax #21 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 20:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Got a question here. Did anyone of you Tiger drivers tried the "Tiger Trick?" aka "Keilausrichtung"? I've read that it became nearly invulnerable in this state. Many German Tiger Crews were doing it.
Here's a picture:

Posted Image

And a real one: http://www.whq-forum...cs/tiger_10.jpg

I have to mention that most Tiger Crew's behaved like the TDs in WoT. They weren't driving around like mad and used it more like a mobile AntiTank weapon or Bunker because it wasn't that mobile actually.

Did anyone try this out if it works in WoT?

TalonZahn #22 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:07

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11220 battles
I believe it was mentioned in another thread, maybe the Penetration thread, these tanks weren't meant to engage under 400-500 meters.

Tigers usually engaged at 800-1000 meters if not farther.

The sight range in this game doesn't even allow this. Not to mention some tanks skip at the far edge of ranges we can see.

The Tiger does have problems in the game. While I was in it, the subsystem crits were ridiculous. Even when my crew was at 110% plus 50% or higher on their secondaries. I had 2 repair, 2 firefighters, 1 camo. Most often I lost my tank due to fires, having the turret ring destroyed, or the main gun destroyed. I have not had a tank before or since experience anywhere near the amount of crits as the Tiger.

The strategy never seemd to matter, sit still and be a pillbox, hide, drive like mad, etc. Pretty much always the same result. The Tiger is also the only tank I've ever had the entire crew knocked out. I even had 75% of my hitpoints left, and it was one shot from the front.

Sakuzhi #23 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4366 battles
Well...They generally engaged at 1,500m. For HE barrage they would open up at 5,000m at the target "firing for effect"

That said, It's a mistruth to say the Tiger wasn't mobile, or slow.

In fact, it went 38-40kmph, compared to the Shermans 40 to 48kmph. And note the seriously wide tracks? that gave the Tiger one of the lowest PSI of any WW2 tank. It out-performed the Sherman on muddy terrain, easily.

So, the Tiger was both very fast (for a 50+ Ton monster) and agile. In fact, it had the ability to turn an entire circle without moving more than 3m from it's standing still position (one track forward, the other reverse, -few- tanks of WW2 had this feature)

So, the Tiger was anything -but- slow and clumsy that was part of why it was so scary. It was only a -little- slower than a Medium tank, and had less issues on soft ground than the Medium tanks did.

Sorry, just had to correct you prax.

NachoFoot #24 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3452 battles
It does work Prax and I use it like this extensively.  I have no problem making money in the Tiger and I usually make more than in my old VK tank.

Sakuzhi #25 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4366 battles
It's easy to bank on cash with the Prem account as a back up. But that's very interesting so you use the point of the tank for the round to bounce from, I'll test it later tonight when I hop on with ma Tiger.

Subbota #26 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:37

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3504 battles
I wouldn't try that trick on lights and mediums.  It just gives us a better angle on your treads.

Sakuzhi #27 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 21:39

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4366 battles
>.> well..that doesn't really matter either way, I've never had much problem with being tracked, only by the random Arty piece from time to time

BigBadVuk #28 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 22:22

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 1005 battles

View Postprax, on Aug 05 2010 - 20:51, said:

Got a question here. Did anyone of you Tiger drivers tried the "Tiger Trick?" aka "Keilausrichtung"? I've read that it became nearly invulnerable in this state. Many German Tiger Crews were doing it.

Did anyone try this out if it works in WoT?
YEs, i have used that tactics not just in tiger but also in VK series or even JgdPanter and other vehicles in this game.
It saved my skin more than few times,and also raised questions and eyebrows to my opponents.

It works!

Stormscion #29 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 22:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
tiger is fine

Bellatormonk #30 Posted Aug 05 2010 - 22:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14701 battles
1.  Breaking even or losing money on any matches lost even with Premium activated.
2.  1 shot (first hit on me with HE) always takes out a subsystem and 50-75% of my health.

Almost unplayable at this point in terms of making any headway to the next tier tank in credits.

Kbaily007 #31 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 00:28

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 14 battles
Tiger tank is crap. You are obliged to engage target from a long distance and snipe ennemy tank if you want to be positive at the end of the game.
It was impossible for me to use that tank without a premium account.

I felt lucky only when my Tiger did not catch fire and after a certain number of games, I felt like it was "normal" to be destroyed because of fire.
I also perfectly understand that having more hp than most tank make you more vulnerable to sub system destruction (usually I can take 8-16 shells before I get destroyed IF I do not catch fire before) but catching fire 50% of the time is just ridiculous.

Also, we do not have to forget that it is a beta version and it is normal that there are some balance problems.

SovereignT #32 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 00:31

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7 battles

View PostBellatormonk, on Aug 05 2010 - 22:41, said:

1.  Breaking even or losing money on any matches lost even with Premium activated.
2.  1 shot (first hit on me with HE) always takes out a subsystem and 50-75% of my health.

Almost unplayable at this point in terms of making any headway to the next tier tank in credits.
This

I would like to see a legit rebuttal to this stance on the tiger but chances are highly unlikely of course..

WMD #33 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 02:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12561 battles
1. Tiger tank was already obsolete by 1944 The Germans had halted its production

2. Game wise you have to play it like a tank destroyer.
It slow turret rotation and high accuracy makes for a stable snipping platform
(Manual aim with 360-400 ping is nearly impossible for me saddly)

It dose have a lot a decent amount of HP

Bellatormonk #34 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 04:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14701 battles
I just sold my Tiger I.  Going down the Panther line since there is just no way to make money fast enough to enjoy playing the Tiger or earn enough for other tanks.

Bison #35 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 04:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 37285 battles
Well I have been using the Tiger for over 250 missions and I have been doing better with it. I have a crew at 105% and max out in upgrades and I use camo net with it. I have been trying different tactics and I'm starting to like using the tank more and more. It is not much good in close combat. But at long range it is good.

Bellatormonk #36 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 04:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14701 battles

View PostBison, on Aug 06 2010 - 04:48, said:

Well I have been using the Tiger for over 250 missions and I have been doing better with it. I have a crew at 105% and max out in upgrades and I use camo net with it. I have been trying different tactics and I'm starting to like using the tank more and more. It is not much good in close combat. But at long range it is good.

Yah I had my crew at 110% and trained in Fire, repairs and camo..guess what?  I sold my crew with the Tiger since I was so burned out and forget to put them in the barracks. I tried most tactics and win or loss the credits just were not enough to gain any money compared to mediums. Cant wait for the next patch..

heno #37 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 07:54

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have to agree that the Tiger I was a frustrating experience when I first got it, but after upgrading it to full potential it was a blast to play with it. Of 150 matches I caught fire maybe 2 times, if I remember correctly. Took me 2-3 days on premium to get from the Tiger I to the Tiger II (now have a fully upgraded Tiger II).

Actually I am experiencing more module and fires in my Tiger II than in my Tiger I, it is bloody annoying. HE impact should be tweaked

Bellatormonk #38 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 07:58

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14701 battles

View Postwinstor, on Aug 06 2010 - 07:28, said:

It is not a close combat tank. When are you people going to realise this?!?! Inside 1000m it starts to lose its edge. View distances need to be increased as well.

Agreed that it's not a close combat tank.  But as you said when I can see 500m at best with upgrades and a 200ms ping..I can't snipe at all.  This goes back to some hit detection threads in other forums as well.  Add to the fact that other tanks are sniping you with HE and your turret ring or ammo rack explode on the first hit and you lose 75% of your health what's the point?  You just lost 6k credits for one hit on you.

heno #39 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 09:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBellatormonk, on Aug 06 2010 - 07:58, said:

Agreed that it's not a close combat tank.  But as you said when I can see 500m at best with upgrades and a 200ms ping..I can't snipe at all.  This goes back to some hit detection threads in other forums as well.  Add to the fact that other tanks are sniping you with HE and your turret ring or ammo rack explode on the first hit and you lose 75% of your health what's the point?  You just lost 6k credits for one hit on you.

I have to disagree somewhat that you use the Tiger exclusively for range and sniping. Heavy tanks like the Tiger are especially good against mediums at close ranges where the medium tanks don't have lots of room to maneuver. Like in towns etc. In maps where you can seek cover I always go for cramped spaces where the enemy, which in other cases just would kite, maneuver behind or away from you, you can trap and fight them at your terms. In other cases, just pretend your Tiger is a giant Tank destroyer. Sit back, hidden, snipe light or lighter medium tanks. Don't shoot until you know your gun would track your prey. One shot, boom. I've taken out countless Leopards with my Tigers that way. They don't know where you are, but because someone else on your team has scouted them you have a fix on them. Sooner or later they will turn straight for you, its just a matter of clicking your mouse button. Easy kill.

View PostWMD, on Aug 06 2010 - 02:15, said:

1. Tiger tank was already obsolete by 1944 The Germans had halted its production

Tiger I was absolute against Soviet armour but was still miles ahead its western counterparts

Sartori86 #40 Posted Aug 06 2010 - 11:17

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postheno, on Aug 06 2010 - 09:57, said:

Tiger I was absolute against Soviet armour but was still miles ahead its western counterparts

So the US heavies will be even worse? :o USSR>Germany>US?

I agree with the close range part. I have no trouble killing a T-44 with my Tiger as long as he's close enough.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users