How to get more EXP out of the games ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

CaptIceman #1 Posted May 09 2011 - 16:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13073 battles
  • [VPG-R] VPG-R
What the title says...

Could someone tell me how to improve my EXP/Game earnings, asside from buying a Premium acc. ?

I usually make average 250~500 EXP, but sometimes I got lame 40's  :mellow:

I know, you have to kill/damage/detect tanks, but sometimes I even kill 6 tanks and got a TopGun or a SteelWall and nevertheless I still got lame EXP. On the other hand, sometimes I feel I didn't do that much and get 1K EXP  :blink:

I hear ppl talking about getting 3K+ EXP (apart from the x2/x5 games, which also seem to be rather random to me).

Is there anything I should know/keep in mind to boost my EXP/Game ratio ?

Ty in advance.  :)

tankboy1138 #2 Posted May 09 2011 - 16:32

Captain

• Players
  • 10419 battles
  • [TB] TB
part of the reason is the 5x xp boost the past few days (active on your first win of the day, instead of the double) you may have gotten top gun, but if you merely polished of the last few percent on a tank, you won;t get much in the way of xp. Detecting and damaging tanks will gain you a lot of XP. be patient, live longer, and plug away at the enemy's armor. your xp numbers will increase nicely.

alyksandyr #3 Posted May 09 2011 - 16:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5778 battles
XP increases as tank level increases. So if you read about people getting 2000+ xp per battle, they might be talking about Tier8/9 tanks.

CaptIceman #4 Posted May 09 2011 - 16:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13073 battles
  • [VPG-R] VPG-R
What would be the average EXP income for those tanks ?

M7 Priest (tier 4 US arty)
Hetzer (tier 4 German TD)
T34-85 (tier 6 Russ mid)
T34 (tier 5 Russ mid), and
KV (tier 5 Russ heavy)?

focuslight #5 Posted May 09 2011 - 16:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14484 battles
  • [ARCTC] ARCTC
That is about right for an average experience without Premium account.  The range you expressed translated to Premium comes to 375-750.  Which is very much in range of what everyone else get.  

So remember that exp is proportional to dmg done.  In fact, some of the highest xp I ever got (including beta) was in a KV facing off against IS-4s and Maus'.  Didn't think I did too much, but got a lot of xp for doing massive dmg relative to the KV.

Swolin #6 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:03

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12091 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postalyksandyr, on May 09 2011 - 16:34, said:

XP increases as tank level increases. So if you read about people getting 2000+ xp per battle, they might be talking about Tier8/9 tanks.

This isn't really accurate.  You are just as capable of getting 2k+ XP in a a low-tier tank as you are in a tier 10.

What matters most is damaging and detecting other tanks, especially damaging them, and even more so damaging tanks of a higher tier than the one you are driving.  I think you also get extra XP if the tanks you detect are damaged by your team mates, can't remember for sure though.

My highest XP battle since launch came just yesterday in a T-28.  I got 2,409 XP.  The only reason I was even playing it again was to try and get a good 5x score, so I ended up getting 12,045 XP!  Not bad for a tier 4, eh?  Oh, and I have premium obviously.

Anyway, to the OP, just try to do as much damage to other tanks as you can.  Learn where the weak spots of enemy tanks are, or as a rule shoot at the sides and rear when possible.  Remember that percentage of damage matters more than just killing the enemy tank.  You could take 8 shots in a battle, and let's say those 8 were all kill shots of tanks you finished off from 1% HP remaining;  you may get less XP than the guy who killed 2-3 tanks and did, let's say, 75%+ of the damage to them.

I guess part of the problem is not having premium, so you are meant to feel frustrated by how much XP you are getting without it.  Wargaming has to motivate you to buy premium somehow, right?

Punisher_1 #7 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:04

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3479 battles
  • [TB] TB
Find out how the Exp system works and then find the right vehicle to best expolit , take advantage ...er... utilize the system.

You have to find that key vehicle that can penetrate enemy armor at high tiers. Shooting high tier tanks with a lower tier vehicle seems to be an advantage.

Tactics you are going to have to learn to snipe and place alot of shells on target.

Victory , basically something you cannot ensure but its worth 50% more exp which is huge.

Low vehicle repair costs are a must it's great to field that tier 8-10 but it costs alot. The key is finding the perfect tier 5-7.

alyksandyr #8 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:22

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5778 battles

View PostSwolin, on May 09 2011 - 17:03, said:

This isn't really accurate.  You are just as capable of getting 2k+ XP in a a low-tier tank as you are in a tier 10.

You're right.

The reason higher tier tanks get more xp is the higher tier tanks have more health, which allows for more damage to be done. Which leads to more XP.

Rexxie #9 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 29100 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Depends on whether you have gold to convert with. Assuming you do, some of the best tanks to make XP in are the KV, the SU-85, PzIV, and T-34-57.

GhostDivison #10 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
If you kill a MAUS 100% with a Stug III(It happened a long time ago in a distant galaxy) you get huge exp.
But if you kill 5 Stugs with a MAUS you almost get nothing.
So yeah...the Ekins medal does have some sense,even though Ekins never killed Wittman :P

Livewyr7 #11 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:29

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 9406 battles
Best way to get XP is to hit everything you can penetrate as soon as your gun recycles...(while preserving your own safety.. you get a little boost to XP if you survive the match in a win)

Damage is the biggest XP dealer.

If you find yourself in a match where you can't possibly hurt 90% of the tanks..  find a bush near the front line, and be patient. You get a lot of XP for your team mates damaging enemies that you are spotting.  (Examples-  M5-Stuart on Malinovka with tier 7-8-9 heavies)  took the bush in the middle shooting right out of the stable at game start.  Sit in that bush successfully with some Binos (or without if you can't afford) and a camo net..  you don't have to fire a shot and make a lot of XP and Credits (Never fired a shot in that match, made 45K credits and 1400 XP..  with premium, so without, probably 950 XP and 30,000 credits.)  Beware, your team will get called hackers... I call it "Scoutdoinghisjob.exe"

Another example- Leopard on Komarin with tier 7-8 heavies..  took a bush on the center island.. and sat there for about 5 minutes..  and got found out (damn nosey IS) was killed immediately.. still  for my 5.5 minutes of spotting defenders..  1000XP (so about 600-700 without prem)

For Arty..  it's hit or miss..  literally. Your only real experience dealer is..  damage.. and lots of it.

vespid #12 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:39

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14963 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
There is a huge aspect of gaining experience that people not only often realize, but this lack of understanding leads them to do the opposite of what most productive.

Being in the middle of good fights makes a huge difference. If you have firing going on all around you, friendlies behind you shooting at enemies in front of you, your exp points rack up significantly. I think the official term is "in the radius" of the battle or something similar. Combine that with dealing out good damage, taking some good damage yourself (yes, that adds to exp) and surviving long in the battle is what racks up your exp points.

What is often wrongly suggested is staying back and sniping, avoiding direct involvement in battles but sniping away for max damage with minimum exposure to yourself. That doesn't work as well. Get INTO the middle of the battles, thrive, and survive, then you get max exp points! That's why some people sitting back and taking care to last long OUTSIDE of danger are so often disappointed in the results. That's also why following just behind the main thrust, sniping away at low-health victims may rack up kills and even some damage, but produce fewer points than expected.

If I have a moment to find the actual text for this, I'll post it.

Additional: read this post:

http://forum.worldof...-what-will-not/

People so often overlook #9 because it seems to imply it isn't a big deal, but think about it. That's the difference between being in the thick of of the fighting and sniping from a distance, and that makes the difference between an average result and a really good one, all other things being equal.

Get in the fight, people! You get your best experience for doing exactly what really should, fighting in the toughest situations on the map, not playing it safe. Yeah, if you don't survive well, you don't deserve as much exp. If you do rise and conquer, you'll get the points you deserve.

Rexxie #13 Posted May 09 2011 - 17:49

Major

• Players
  • 29100 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The "close combat" XP bonus is very, very low. As is the bonus for surviving a battle. Don't take vespid's info.

Livewyr7 #14 Posted May 09 2011 - 18:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 9406 battles
It is rather negligible, that being said though-  if you've got the armor and a gun with poor accuracy, best to fight amongst your team mates than to try and up-close solo.   If you have a sniping gun (german heavies)  stay back and do your thing.  heck.. snipe in groups for your bonus..

Hobbe #15 Posted May 09 2011 - 18:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5531 battles

View PostRex_Nex, on May 09 2011 - 17:49, said:

The "close combat" XP bonus is very, very low. As is the bonus for surviving a battle. Don't take vespid's info.
Incorrect.

An SPG played to the same level of accomplishments as a Medium will earn you FAR less exp, due to being so far removed from the center of battle.

saifp #16 Posted May 09 2011 - 19:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4540 battles
Actually the higher the tier is the more credits and exp u get.. and more u kill u get more exp..... if ur team wins u get more exp

Korbaan #17 Posted May 09 2011 - 19:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2787 battles

View PostGnarlene, on May 09 2011 - 18:26, said:

Incorrect.

An SPG played to the same level of accomplishments as a Medium will earn you FAR less exp, due to being so far removed from the center of battle.

That is not the reason.  The reason is if you cannot spot a target, you have to share XP with the people who can.  A medium gets 100% xp for damage done to a target because he will be in spotting range.  A SPG gets 50% and splits 50% with the people who are spotting the target for him.  The close combat bonus is not something people ought to shoot for (pardon the pun), because if you think about it, staying in the thick of combat lowers your survivability, and surviving long enough to continue doing damage is the biggest component of XP.  In addition, the biggest mistake I see is people rushing to get into combat, and blocking their own side or creating cover for the opposition through dying in a bad spot.  

Conversely, if you're a low tier light or medium with a weak gun, and you're being followed by 3 heavies with huge guns, you should scout a few hundred meters ahead.  Your speed is a better defense than your armor, witness all the Leopard jockeys who zoom through 6-7 tanks on the way to the artillery.  Now, you can't hurt the big guys on your own, but when you spot for your heavies, they share 50% of their XP with you, which is far more than you can make hanging back and bouncing shots off enemy heavies with your tiny peashooter.  This is also why great scouts do not suicide scout at the beginning of the map, but hang around heavies until you know the enemy is close, and then scout in a small radius ahead of the main group so your heavies can hit what you spot.  

Many fights and maps are defined by who has the better/smarter scouts, not who has the bigger guns, because 5 mediums who can spot a heavy will kill it far faster than 5 heavies who can't see anything but a rain of shells coming their way.

vespid #18 Posted May 09 2011 - 20:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14963 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostKorbaan, on May 09 2011 - 19:57, said:

The close combat bonus is not something people ought to shoot for (pardon the pun), because if you think about it, staying in the thick of combat lowers your survivability, and surviving long enough to continue doing damage is the biggest component of XP.

That point is valid, but the point I'm trying to make is that being in the thick of the battle gives you not only the bonus points for being in the fight, but also other bonuses. You usually get to take more shots than those hanging back. You get to usually gather some detection points, which hang-back snipers won't get, as well as first crack at newly detected targets with full health to lose as you lead the charge. You'll be among the first in the circle when capturing a base, which will gather even more points. If you're good enough (or lucky enough) to survive, all these factors together rack up exp points that the cautious sniper will not earn.

Assuming you survive for a significant part of the battle, of course. But that's an important point: if you only live for 5 minutes in a battle, you will gain more experience points doing so in the midst of a heated battle (for all the reasons above) rather than just sniping from behind. Sure, that isn't possible or advised in all situations, but it helps to explain why so many players are disappointed in the results from the "sit back and snipe carefully" advice and keep coming back here with "I had 3 kills and 6 damages and only got 350 exp WTF" reports.

Further, the more you do it, the better you get at it, etc. etc.

Korbaan #19 Posted May 09 2011 - 21:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2787 battles

View Postvespid, on May 09 2011 - 20:49, said:

it helps to explain why so many players are disappointed in the results from the "sit back and snipe carefully" advice and keep coming back here with "I had 3 kills and 6 damages and only got 350 exp WTF" reports.

I'd rather have that than only 80 XP because I got popped early before I even got a hit in since I stayed with the pack.  There's no shame in a medium amount of XP and zero repair bills rather than occasional higher XP and then massively lower XP, with a much higher chance of full repair bills.  That averages out to the same XP but less credits.  Conservative is best, at least that's the way it worked best for me.  I didn't play beta so I had a lot of hard lessons to learn on my own.  My first set of tanks averaged like, 2-300 XP, nowadays I average 600+ XP, even on tanks I used to average 200 XP on because I started playing much more conservatively.

vespid #20 Posted May 10 2011 - 00:35

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14963 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostKorbaan, on May 09 2011 - 21:53, said:

I'd rather have that than only 80 XP because I got popped early before I even got a hit in since I stayed with the pack.  There's no shame in a medium amount of XP and zero repair bills rather than occasional higher XP and then massively lower XP, with a much higher chance of full repair bills.  That averages out to the same XP but less credits.  Conservative is best, at least that's the way it worked best for me.  I didn't play beta so I had a lot of hard lessons to learn on my own.  My first set of tanks averaged like, 2-300 XP, nowadays I average 600+ XP, even on tanks I used to average 200 XP on because I started playing much more conservatively.

Hey, all the more power to you! No one is telling anyone how to play here. In reality, I suspect we all play a different game almost every map. We all charge sometimes, sit back some times, play it cautious one map then try something crazy the next.

Just trying to help sort out why people see such swings in experience rewards with seemingly similar performances. I would note, though, that it is players electing to play aggressively once in awhile that keep some maps from being the campfests they so often are. Choosing when to roll with the attackers and when not to make a huge difference in your results.