wn8 personal rating WR

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

Roadhardputawaywet #1 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 17:36

Captain

• Players
  • 496 battles
  • [RHINO] RHINO

Look I started as a noob, became less noob like and am now I am ok/good.

It took lots of hard work, listening to other great players, CW'ing, TC'ing, reading the blogs and watching videos......!

I am not going to claim I am great, or even pretty good, But I can tell you what my experience has offered insight to!

Many of you need to stop playing higher than tier eight.  If you have below a 1000 wn8 or less than a 5000 PR then you are not ready to play tier 10's. I am sorry but it is simply an observable fact.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have struggled to increase my skill and stats to see them washed away by team mates who simply lack the skill to play competently at high tiers.

With XVM you can clearly see that there are more and more players (I would estimate that there are now 1000's and 1000's of you) who have either bot'ed to a tier 10 or completely yolo'ed.

Trust me when I tell you the game does not just out of the blue become more fun or easier in a tier nine or 10 if you just blindly grind one out.

So please people and you know who you are, go to wotlabs.net - watch the streams, read the guides: http://forum.wotlabs...-helpful-links/

Play lower tier tanks and work on skills, join a good starter clan with a more skilled sister clan, play TC's and Team Matches, and CW - In my opinion fighting in CW's teaches you many important skills that spill over to pub play.

But stop - Stop - STOP pubbing in tier tens when you know you are not ready. You are killing me metaphysically, you are f'ing with my calm and ruining my day! 

Edited by oldsurferjoe, Jul 09 2014 - 18:27.

TsarCidron #2 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 6882 battles
  • [RAID2] RAID2
Poor computer (six yr old) and a ton of internet sharing in the house.. 6 phones, 8 computers, ps3, ...  stats reflect those.  *sigh*

Staff_Sergeant_Walker #3 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 17:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12913 battles
  • [25CDN] 25CDN

I share my account with my 8 year old son (even though he has his own account he prefers my tanks :)) This of course reflects badly on my stats. I only have 2 Tier X's. Most of the tanks I use the most often are Tier VIII and Tier IX.  However, I will not stop pubbing in Tier X matches and more often than not I will rank in the top 3 xpers. I have killed my share of Tier X greens and always laugh when I hear: You're orange. You cheated! Reported!

I know a lot of players use stats to judge a player's skills but I know for a fact they can be misleading. Also, when I play my Tiger 1 and IS, at least 2 games out of 5 will be in Tier X matches. :tongue:

You know I've always tried to imagine what it would be like if IRL every tank had a colour tag hovering above it This is one is green! Run! Or this one is red: attack! It is interesting that players refer to reds as tomatoes. Isn't a tomato ripe when it's red? When it's green it's not ready.

Orodruin #4 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 17:56

Captain

• Players
  • 9202 battles

I'm with you, OP.  I wish more folks new to the game would commit to learning how to play, and find resources outside of actual battles to help them improve.

But, I doubt it will happen in large numbers until the game itself includes more in-depth tutorials, or links to get people the proper resources.

Unfortunately, many people aren't proactive enough to *look* for information unless it's laid out on a platter.

Roadhardputawaywet #5 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 17:57

Captain

• Players
  • 496 battles
  • [RHINO] RHINO

View PostStaff_Sergeant_Walker, on Jul 09 2014 - 09:50, said:

I share my account with my 8 year old son (even though he has his own account he prefers my tanks :)) This of course reflects badly on my stats. I only have 2 Tier X's. Most of the tanks I use the most often are Tier VIII and Tier IX.  However, I will not stop pubbing in Tier X matches and more often than not I will rank in the top 3 xpers. I have killed my share of Tier X greens and always laugh when I hear: You're orange. You cheated! Reported!

I know a lot of players use stats to judge a player's skills but I know for a fact they can be misleading. Also, when I play my Tiger 1 and IS, at least 2 games out of 5 will be in Tier X matches. :tongue:

You know I've always tried to imagine what it would be like if IRL every tank had a colour tag hovering above it This is one is green! Run! Or this one is red: attack! It is interesting that players refer to reds as tomatoes. Isn't a tomato ripe when it's red? When it's green it's not ready.

In looking at your stats and your improvement - you are not the player I am talking about - I think you know that!

MrMunk00 #6 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5149 battles

View PostTsarCidron, on Jul 09 2014 - 18:43, said:

Poor computer (six yr old) and a ton of internet sharing in the house.. 6 phones, 8 computers, ps3, ...  stats reflect those.  *sigh*

i have a 8 year old pc with geforce 8500 gt graphics card hardly can run minimum :P

Audie_L_Murphy #7 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:05

Major

• Players
  • 56677 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

As for OP if you stats show you as a noob, I guess I'm a noob.  Your overall stats are better than mine.  I personally like having my green stat XVM camo.  However, as I keep improving, I'm normally 1 of the top players so, I expect to get targeted...oh well, nature of the beast.

Personally, I don't feel that I'm a noob at this game anymore.  However, I reserve the right to play as a noob at any moment.

Robert_Skywalker #8 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:09

Captain

• Players
  • 3548 battles
  • [TLW] TLW
I suck. My stats are garbage. Thank you. I sadly never knew that WoT Labs had a collection of guides. Instead I've read as many WoT forum guides as I can, which helped me to learn mechanics, like angling armor. Unfortunately I didn't see them all. I've improved my stats somewhat, as well as my computer. I'm upgrading to a GPC eventually, but for now my little laptop can squeeze out 40-60 fps. (On minimum) I'm heading over to WoT labs to read the guides and watch videos now.

webco_2_75 #9 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23614 battles
My stats are bad and improving.  I let my 13 year old stepdaughter and 7 year old daughter try the game on my account sometimes when they ask because that is more important than my stats, I have games where I get killed  and my team loses because I have bad lag or the game crashes to desktop just like everyone else.  Mostly I get killed from being too aggressive or tanking while DUI.  I watch videos and read guides and mostly have seen my stats improve at a slow rate.  I can have really good games sometimes and am mainly trying to eliminate the really bad games and it seems to be helping.  I decided not to advance past tier 6 until I get better.

Zerg_Rush_Kekeke #10 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10148 battles
  • [R_N_G] R_N_G
i live in Africa... even with the fastest line that is available my ping is 280ms average (you can't change latency over distance) that is the main reason why my stats are bad... only recently have i started padding, looking to deal more damage than anything.... and it's bringing my recent wn8 up. :) but other wise i don't give a crap

Foisen #11 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 13923 battles
  • [KIMOI] KIMOI
I remember I had about 830 wn8 at 2000 battle, and now i have 1750 wn8 at 8k. I have improved alot over the years.

kontroldkhaos #12 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9691 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2
my stats suck but have gotten worse the last few weeks because of really bad teams, ive been ranking in the top 5 in damage done on most games,then i have some games im just horrible on,but i notice i play better when im packed up with better players. i have watched many videos and there is so much more to learn,

Roadhardputawaywet #13 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 18:45

Captain

• Players
  • 496 battles
  • [RHINO] RHINO

Look many of you are outlining suggestions as to why you should be able to play what you want, my kids play my account, Ping, non-gaming computer.

Look if you have bad ping or a poor computer - why on earth would you want to fight in a tier 9 or 10 match - you're not helping yourself improve or the team - get real peeps!

As for "my kids play my account" - listen if you feel you have the skill play on - but it seems self evident to me that many of you know the answer to position I made in the OP!

This game does require some finesse to play well, and I don't mean hiding in the back farming damage either! Many of the best players I know and respect are not purple wn8 players - some are, but many are good old green and blue players..

pakeha #14 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 23:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20482 battles

Block Quote

i live in Africa... even with the fastest line that is available my ping is 280ms average

I don't live in Africa but I feel your pain.  That is about my average latency as well.  I sometimes wonder what it would be like to play with a ping of 80 or 90 - man that would be great.  Yet I hear folk whinge and complain when their ping goes to 50!

No excuses, but that latency DOES affect your game play - you have to be more defensive.  How many times have I just been destroyed or missed the critical shot because the latency meant I did not move fast enough or shot when the 'red' guy was already gone?

(My theory is that WoT does compensate us a bit with a server side adjustment for our ping, can't prove that but I cherish the thought and thank them daily for it as it has gotten me out of a few scrapes!)

OP - yes I agree with you.  You are right.  I hate 'bots' and 'yolos', especially as I try to earn my way the 'hard way' and they wash out achievements faster than 'Persil Bright' on a hot wash. 

Perhaps WoT should bring in a MM feature that excludes certain tanks from higher tiers until their Win8 (or 9 or 10) gets to a certain level?

Or even better, how about putting all 9's and 10's with WIN 8 (or 9 or 10) under say, 750 (entirely random choice of number) on the SAME team with no team mates over 750?

pakeha #15 Posted Jul 09 2014 - 23:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20482 battles

Block Quote

Look if you have bad ping or a poor computer - why on earth would you want to fight in a tier 9 or 10 match - you're not helping yourself improve or the team - get real peeps!

Hey now! that is a bit rough O man with low ping!

I game with a chap who has a ping of 300 to 350 - he is pretty good and has good stats (above average).  It does not stop your game, nor does it mean you can't do well, just changes your style.

Block Quote

As for "my kids play my account" - listen if you feel you have the skill play on - but it seems self evident to me that many of you know the answer to position I made in the OP!

Ahh, why not start another account for your kids? 

If you can scrape up a few dollars for another 'adequate' PC it can be a lot of fun platooning with your kid - a bit of father son bonding time.  I enjoy that time (which is not often enough since my boy joined the Services).

Brohk #16 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 02:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10228 battles

My overall stats are fair, at best. My problem is that I am inconsistent, I'll have amazing games where I get invites immediately afterward and I'll have horrendous games where I go full tomato. In the tomato games, I only realize and appreciate my mistake after I've died - and it's a mistake I'm apt to make again a few weeks later. 

I might carry your game, I might jump on your back - even I don't know what I'll do...

PepperMill #17 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 02:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11391 battles

There are your stats and then there is your game.  If you are afraid to try things for fear of letting your stats drop you're not going to get better.

Here are some articles that contrast two ways to improve, the first one as suggested by the original poster above the other is more brutal

http://rocketbrainsu...x-enduring-way/

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/

Roadhardputawaywet #18 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 15:18

Captain

• Players
  • 496 battles
  • [RHINO] RHINO

View PostBrohk, on Jul 09 2014 - 18:53, said:

My overall stats are fair, at best. My problem is that I am inconsistent, I'll have amazing games where I get invites immediately afterward and I'll have horrendous games where I go full tomato. In the tomato games, I only realize and appreciate my mistake after I've died - and it's a mistake I'm apt to make again a few weeks later. 

I might carry your game, I might jump on your back - even I don't know what I'll do...

View PostPepperMill, on Jul 09 2014 - 18:58, said:

There are your stats and then there is your game.  If you are afraid to try things for fear of letting your stats drop you're not going to get better.

Here are some articles that contrast two ways to improve, the first one as suggested by the original poster above the other is more brutal

http://rocketbrainsu...x-enduring-way/

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/

Oh I completely understand the consistency issue - man that is one of my biggest issues personally. Weeks of playing in the 2350 wn8 area and then crash. Then WR - heck WR can be very hard to maintain, especially if you solo pub.

Peppermills links are very good - must reads.

Peeps - please don't get me wrong, there are a great number of players with stats below what I mentioned in the OP that are not intended for competent/trying/learning players. Grinding is a [edited]and some tanks are nightmares stat/xp wise to get through - I am talking about players that really don't even try to understand the game, they are in fact worse than bots - at least bots do some damage.

Edited by oldsurferjoe, Jul 11 2014 - 23:21.

aswitz87 #19 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 18:27

Major

• Players
  • 5921 battles

My stats are meh.  Which is why my T10s will only be used in CW (because for some reason I feel better about letting my clan down than a bunch of randoms...).  Until I feel I could carry a T10 match, I won't random with them.

Heck only reason I do randoms in my T95 is because I'm doing decently in it (and all that XP for the E3... sigh grind).

TreverSlyFox #20 Posted Jul 10 2014 - 19:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 16956 battles
I have just over 12,000 battles and I'm a 50% player and I have ONE tier 7 in my Garage an SU-100M1 TD.  Most of my tanks are TD's in the Tier 4,5,6 range and it's going to stay that way.  I'm 66 years old and I know my limitations, end of the month my Perm Account ends and I won't be getting another, I'll play the lower tiers and be just as happy.

Also tagged with wn8, personal rating, WR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users