Tank tracks and tank treads. History of the transition?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

Alpha196 #1 Posted May 10 2011 - 22:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 53 battles
If memory serves, modern tanks transitioned from the old steel tracks found on most WWII tanks to a tread based system. I could be mistaken and the two are the same thing, but from what I understand the reason for this change was due to better durability, better traction and helping increase cross country performance as well as increased reliability due to less chance of the tank throwing a track.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think I read somewhere that the new tread based Design is easier to maintain as well as manufacture.

Comments?

raz2146 #2 Posted Jun 30 2011 - 10:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 2002 battles

View PostAlpha196, on May 10 2011 - 22:46, said:

If memory serves, modern tanks transitioned from the old steel tracks found on most WWII tanks to a tread based system. I could be mistaken and the two are the same thing, but from what I understand the reason for this change was due to better durability, better traction and helping increase cross country performance as well as increased reliability due to less chance of the tank throwing a track.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think I read somewhere that the new tread based Design is easier to maintain as well as manufacture.

Comments?

Tracks are the weak link of any tanks and they take a lot of beating, due to this they need to be easily replaced or rebuilt to keep rolling. The M1A1/A2's have a track that can be rebuilt by the crew or maintenance in a very short amount of time. you can replace the pads which are only held on by one stud molded to the rear of the pad and a nut, end connectors can also be changed, if need be and track is not repairable just brake track and install new track sections. They are also non-directional so there is less build up of dirt/sand in turns to help keep from throwing track.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users