Gun maximum range?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Daekar #1 Posted May 11 2011 - 01:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 1215 battles
Is there a maximum range on guns?  I ask because I have had many situations where I had the opportunity to snipe at an enemy tank who was stationary, and sat there firing 15 shots at them... with no results.  Not just no damage, but it seems that they're not even aware of my shots.  Surely, there should be some impacts or something in the dirt around them, or trails from the errant shells... but no, they just sit there in the open, blindly continuing to shoot at my teammates.  This happens with both the autocannon style gun on my MS-1 and the more traditional kind of gun like you find on an SU-76.  It's infuriating as a TD to be shooting at an exposed enemy with no results...

dcr162 #2 Posted May 11 2011 - 01:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7353 battles
i can understand where you are coming from, i experiance basically the same problems, but the shells go right through the tank and doesnt phase the tank at all, or it will bounce off repeatedly when i am given a green crosshair(penetration)

i dont think that it is a maximum range issue as much as a ghost tank issue.

Daemus #3 Posted May 11 2011 - 10:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 1434 battles

View PostDaekar, on May 11 2011 - 01:27, said:

Is there a maximum range on guns?  I ask because I have had many situations where I had the opportunity to snipe at an enemy tank who was stationary, and sat there firing 15 shots at them... with no results.  Not just no damage, but it seems that they're not even aware of my shots.  Surely, there should be some impacts or something in the dirt around them, or trails from the errant shells... but no, they just sit there in the open, blindly continuing to shoot at my teammates.  This happens with both the autocannon style gun on my MS-1 and the more traditional kind of gun like you find on an SU-76.  It's infuriating as a TD to be shooting at an exposed enemy with no results...
To my knowledge, while there is a max range on viewing distance, there isn't a max range on guns. Armor pen falls off over distance and making an accurate shot gets harder.

Accuracy is a big issue. Every time you shoot, you are not guaranteed to hit right where you are aiming. The circle around the middle cross hair is the possible area in which the shell can end up traveling.

Regarding shell trails, your gfx settings might be low if you are never seeing any types of trails. Regardless of trails, many players won't bother moving to cover when shells are flying around them if they have something to shoot at. Some just don't fear getting hit/killed because they are planning to jump right into another tank when they die.

Others get a sort of tunnel vision where they just lock focus on something and lose all awareness of what is happening around them (pilots who got this could end up running into a plane that they were trying to shoot). :Smile-izmena:

Ultramarine212 #4 Posted May 11 2011 - 11:04

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3598 battles
  • [-SG-] -SG-
i think the maximum range an enemy Tank will actually be visible is 700m, if a teammate is spotting it. Beyond that, it will be invisible to you, even if it's still shown on the mini map as a red dot and still spotted by a teammate. I've no idea if your shots will land on enemies beyond 700m, i havnt tried wasting rounds to find out.

Viper69 #5 Posted May 11 2011 - 15:21

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Your reticule will tell you if your shot is possible. If it is red, you can hit it but penetration is unlikely, if it is black you cannot hit it. Likewise if it is green you stand a good chance of penetrating.

Daekar #6 Posted May 11 2011 - 21:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 1215 battles
Actually my graphics are set on max, and usually never dip below 27fps.  There are definitely trails on my screen, I was wondering if maybe the shots weren't registering properly and displaying on their screen...

I am aware of the accuracy issues, but sometimes the range isn't necessarily that great... and tank destroyers tend to be accurate little buggers, anyway.  I would be happy to hear a "we just dinged 'em" or something... but there's never any radio chatter when this happens... it's like I'm doing nothing making my ammo count go down...

Viper69 #7 Posted May 12 2011 - 01:58

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Your damage is still being registered with the match, but since your crew cannot confirm your shot they cannot tell you what happened.

McIntosh #8 Posted May 12 2011 - 02:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4555 battles
Once did a shot whit long 88 at 673m. Penetrated. But havent go farther than that.

Daemus #9 Posted May 12 2011 - 12:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 1434 battles

View PostViper69, on May 12 2011 - 01:58, said:

Your damage is still being registered with the match, but since your crew cannot confirm your shot they cannot tell you what happened.
If the real problem is that you aren't getting confirmation from crew, then what Viper69 said applies. If a target is outside your view range, your crew can't see to confirm a hit. On a side note, it would be neat if they had other tanks relay in to your tank over radio regarding your shots, something like "Allied tank says our shell bounced", but definitely not something I would put on the priority list for development.

The same thing regarding crew confirmation of hits/bounces applies to trails. If you see trails normally but aren't seeing them on your long shots, I assume it is because the shell traveled outside your view range and you are being treated like your crew in terms of the visuals. They can't see the trails that far away so you can't see the trails that far away. The enemy tank you are shooting at should still be seeing your trails as the shells come at them. If you have ever been on the receiving end of long range shots in a normal tank/td, you should be able to see trails suddenly appear as they come into visible range of your crew.

Viper69 #10 Posted May 12 2011 - 14:06

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Some of the reasons you can see as far as you can is because of your radio. You are being told where a target is and your commander can now see it. Anything beyond the visual range of your turret wont be seen on your own, from what I understand. I think that is how it works.

KilljoyCutter #11 Posted May 12 2011 - 18:00

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles
Artillery guns certainly have max ranges, even if some of them are longer than any of the current maps.  

I wish they'd list max range on the gun stats.

Daekar #12 Posted May 12 2011 - 20:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 1215 battles
Since nobody seems to really understand what I'm talking about, I must conclude that either I am just missing a lot of shots or I'm shooting at ghost tanks that are an artifact of my internet connection (Sprint 3G)

Viper69 #13 Posted May 12 2011 - 21:46

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
Well it is in the realm of possibility your latency is such that your computer thinks you hit but the client computer of your opponent does not. is that what you are asking? 27 fps is ok, its your latency not your FPS that are the important issue.

Daekar #14 Posted May 13 2011 - 00:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 1215 battles
Well, I guess it could be that.  I thought 150 ping was pretty good, but maybe it's not anymore.  I haven't played games where your ping was displayed in so long that I might be behind the times.

Viper69 #15 Posted May 13 2011 - 13:44

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
My ping is around 70ms over 100 and my signal goes red. I am guessing that is the problem, internet latency is an evil that will never go away and is more pronounced to some.

Deadstick42 #16 Posted May 13 2011 - 20:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 2395 battles
  • [AAA] AAA
I think I know what you are saying.  

As an example, I was shooting at a tank near my maximum viewing range, using HE shells since I knew my AP would be low at max range.  I was waiting several seconds after aiming to ensure maximum accuracy.  Yet I saw no indication of a shot - not even an explosion where the shell hit - no indication that the shell ever hit the ground even.  When the target tank disappeared (or moved away) I shot at a building behind it to see what would happen.  In my view, I saw the shell hit and damage the building, so I know my shell was having an effect at or beyond the range of the target tank.

So the question is, why did I not see the shell hit the ground if I missed the target?  If I hit the target (and it was still visible to me) why did I not get a report from the crew?  The only explanation that makes sense is that the shell did hit the tank, but because the range was too far the software says it had no effect, so I received no report.  However, I thought HE shells still had an effect even at maximum range?

There must be a maximum range cutoff for HE shells beyond which they will not damage targets (except when fired by SPG)

Daekar #17 Posted May 13 2011 - 21:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 1215 battles
Deadstick, that's exactly what I'm experiencing!  Nice to know I'm not the only one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users