Using Consumables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

pekiti #1 Posted May 13 2011 - 11:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
There are a lot of good guides and posts about which modules to mount on which vehicles, and why. I haven't seen much on using the consumables, so here's a few tips to help you out. All of this is my opinion, and your mileage may vary. (The lawyer in the family made me write that.)

What are consumables, and where do I find them?
In the garage, under your active tank, you will see three empty slots on the bottom right of your equipment bar. These are for the consumable items you can carry on that tank. Consumables are used up (consumed) when you activate them, and must be replaced if they are used. Most cost credits (silver coins) and some cost gold. I do not think that any of the "gold" consumables are worth the cost, except possibly the Automatic Fire Extinguisher on certain high tier tanks. All consumables can be removed from a tank before selling it, in the same way you remove a Camouflage Net (etc). You buy consumables in the Service screen, just like ammunition.

How do I use them?
When you are in a match, your number keys 1,2,3 are used to select your ammunition type. The number keys 4,5,6 are sued to activate any consumables you are carrying. These correspond to the three slots you see in the garage, with 4 being the left slot, 5 being the middle slot, and 6 being the right slot.

Which ones should I buy?
There are a lot of different consumables, but some are only available to certain countries (food items, fuel, etc).
The two most important consumables (available to everyone) are the First Aid Kit and the Repair Kit.

First Aid Kit (FAK)
The First Aid Kit gets mounted in slot 4, always, on every tank I own. That way its always the same key to use in an emergency, and I don't have to take a moment to see where it is. The FAK lets you bring a wounded/killed crewman back to full health for TWO MINUTES. (If your crewman gets hit again, he can be killed again before the 2 minutes wear off, though.) The way you use it is you hit the key to activate the FAK, and another little hotbar pops up on screen, just above your regular one. Each of your crewmembers is assigned to a slot (1 is the commander, 2 is the gunner, etc). Any wounded or killed crew will be highlighted in orange/red. SO if my gunner is dead or knocked out, his box (#2) will be lit up in orange/red. I hit the 2 key, it applies the FAK to him, and the popup bar disappears. He is now back to full health and function, until the 2 minute timer runs out. The FAK box on your normal hotbar will be filled with green, showing it has been activated, and it will slowly drain out of the box, showing how much time you have left before it wears off. When the green fill disappears, you will get the 'Our gunner is knocked out!' message again, and he goes back to being dead weight.

Repair Kit (RK)
The Repair Kit gets mounted in slot 5, always, on every tank I own. Like the FAK it is always in the same place in an emergency, and it functions the same way. When you hit the 5 key to activate it, a popup bar appears with all of your tank's systems assigned a number. Your Gun is #1, and so forth. Your tracks are #5 on the list, and are the item that needs repair most often. So if I get tracked, I can hit 5,5 and instantly be back to normal movement. Like the FAK, this only lasts TWO MINUTES (or until that repaired system gets knocked out again).

You can only carry 1 of any given type of consumable (so 1 FAK, and 1 RK, and 1 other consumable), so you can only repair 1 system and 1 crewman per match. The FAK and RK each cost 3000 credits and its a good investment, as long as you use them wisely. More on how to use them in a moment.

The other slot
For my slot 6, I usually fill it with either a Removed Speed Governor (on Russian tanks that want more speed, like a TD, SPG, or scout) or Manual Fire Extinguishers (any heavy tank, or any tank that has caught fire on me before). I do not usually mount fuel or food items, because I cannot control when they are activated/consumed. The RSG does 1 HP of damage per second to your engine when activated, so I only turn it on when I need some extra speed (rushing to a hiding spot, climbing a hill, etc) and then I turn it off when I don't need it. Forgetting to turn off your RSG can leave you with a crippled engine, so pay attention. For the Fire Extinguishers, you need to hit it as soon as you hear the crew yell "We're on fire!" because fires spread FAST. However, the fire extinguisher will usually put out the fire when activated.

When to use your consumables:

The FAK is best used when you are in combat and you lose your Commander, Gunner, or Driver. This fixes your view range, firing speed and accuracy, or your mobility for a little while. Once you use it, finish off your opponent or move to someplace safer, before the timer wears off. Healing your Commander is the most common and effective use for the First Aid Kit, because his skills affect everyone else, plus your view range. Getting your commander knocked out can cause the enemy who just hit you to disappear (as your view range is now reduced by the wounded commander). On small tanks especially, the commander is also your gunner/loader, so losing him means you die soon after.

The RK is best used to repair your tracks (if you rely on mobility to do your job on the battlefield) or your gun (if you need to kill things to do your job). Sometimes it's worth repairing your turret (if you are being circled, or circling someone else). Engine hits are also worth repairing if you absolutely need to get somewhere else in a hurry. Repairing your tracks to avoid a follow up artillery strike is the most common and effective use for the Repair Kit. I have been tracked just short of cover many times by an artillery strike or TD, and then instantly repaired my tracks and moved before the artillery explodes where I was just sitting.

The RSG is best used to rush to a favorite shooting/hiding spot, or when approaching a hill to climb. Just remember to turn it off when you no longer need it, or you will cripple yourself for the rest of the match (and have to pay for repairs afterwards). It is particularly effective on the T34 series of tanks, but remember that small tanks have small engines (and therefore small HP) so they will burn up faster.

The Fire Extinguishers should be used immediately if you see/hear that you have been set on fire.

When NOT to use your consumables:

-Do not repair the engine if your driver has been killed, you will not get much speed benefit and you are out 3k cost.

-Do not heal the driver if the engine and tracks are busted, he won't help you much.

-Do not use any of your repair kits if you are under heavy fire from multiple enemies, and expect to be killed (or tracked again) in the next ten seconds. Not only is this frustrating (Our tracks are knocked out! CLICK Track repaired let's--BANG--Our tracks are knocked out!) you just wasted 3 thousand credits. This is the most common misuse of a consumable.

Is it worth it?
At low tiers, and early in your career, it seems that spending 6k on a couple of consumables is an expensive choice, but they more than pay for themselves when they save your tank and let you win the battle. At higher tiers their cost is nothing compared to your ammo or repairs. One decent battle in a tier 4-5 tank can pay for several consumables, so I recommend that everyone get at least the FAK and RK for all of their tanks.

Good luck!

js23 #2 Posted May 13 2011 - 15:15

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Nice post, I reccomend useing the remove speed govener for the soviet tanks it doesnt go away and its nice for an extra power boost when you need it.

Elbow #3 Posted May 13 2011 - 15:23

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Nice guide. I too always have a first aid kit, repair kit and fire ext on my tanks. The repair kit may be less important for tracks going forward as the new tracking mechanics should reduce the occurence.

Saganomics #4 Posted May 14 2011 - 16:36

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Do you lose consumables if your tank is destroyed in battle, even if you haven't used them?

Dinbatu #5 Posted May 14 2011 - 16:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSaganomics, on May 14 2011 - 16:36, said:

Do you lose consumables if your tank is destroyed in battle, even if you haven't used them?
You only lose them when you use it.

LMG #6 Posted May 14 2011 - 19:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postpekiti, on May 13 2011 - 11:58, said:

The two most important consumables (available to everyone) are the First Aid Kit and the Repair Kit.
There are actually three. The third on is the fire extinguisher. This thing has saved my life several times, and makes sure one doesn't get killed if the first hit sets the tank on fire (like I somehow did to a Tiger a couple of games ago; from 100% to 0%) :Smile_great:

Dinbatu #7 Posted May 15 2011 - 09:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The fire extinguisher is pretty much roll of dice for me, sometimes it work instantly but most of the time i burn to death. :Smile-izmena:

pekiti #8 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The new patch changes the way fire extinguishers work, so they should be MUCH more reliable than before.

Alsadius #9 Posted May 21 2011 - 21:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Which of the consumables aren't actually consumed? I know the speed governor isn't, but are there any others? Reading the automatic fire extinguishers(specifically, the -10% fire chance part), I'm thinking that they might not be used up, but I'm way too cheap to actually test it. Alternately, can I just never use it and keep the -10% fire chance permanently?

sampak #10 Posted May 23 2011 - 16:42

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
For tanks at low tier 1-3, and perhaps even tier 3, I would recommend against using any of the consumables, except for maybe the speed governor as it seems to stay on the tank even after use. I am talking in the context of Random Battles. This is from my experience using consumables anyway.

The reason is, that at 3000 credits, you'd have to play really well (or win basically, and not die) to make the repair kit or med kit pay for itself (assuming you had to use it). With my tier 1-2 tanks, I would barely make 1000-4000 credits, and maybe 5000 credits. With my Tier 3 M2 medium or M3 Stuart, maybe 4000-6000 credits in winnings on average. Now, if I used any 1 of the consumables (say repair kit, since getting your tracks blown means your light/medium is screwed the rest of the match with its lowered speed) I already lose out on 3000 creds of profit, not counting any repair/rearm costs at the end of the battle, bringing my income down to possibly zero.

Ok, what about Tier 4-6, you say? I can earn about 10,000-15,000 and even 19,000-20,000 on a decent match with my M7 Medium or Easy 8 Sherman (less than half the time, the rest of the time I make 6000-9000 from losing/winning and dying). Assuming I had to use a repair kit to help fix a track (most common damaged module and makes for an even slower tank) or gun even if the end result was not futile and worthless, I now lost 3000 creds from my winnings due to using repair kit. Minus also the repair/rearm cost of the tank, about 1000-3000 depending on how badly damaged I was (assuming I took lots of hits but survived) and now I'm down 4000-7000 creds on repairs/consumable alone, (for my E8 anyway). So that leaves me with 10-15k in profits - ASSUMING I had a rare awesome winning match. And who's to say I didn't even have to use the repair kit, or crew med kit? Because so far, I've been playing with NO med/repair kit since I stopped buying those in Tier 1. I survive about 10-18% of the matches anyway with most of my tanks (my arty is at 36% survival for now) and I highly doubt using a 3000 cred repair kit would bring that up any significant amount at all.

Now, where MIGHT these kits be useful? Maybe in a clan battle where it's about winning more so than earning creds. In this case I can see that having a 100% working tank and crew (or close to it) would mean the difference between win or loss. In fact having a few counts of gold ammo may be actually worth it, to help guarantee a kill and bring the team closer to victory. Only in this case do I think that having a repair kit and med kit be of any use.

I won't even go into using 100 octane gas for a meager 5% engine power increase. I mean, really? For 5000 creds, not worth it at all. Again, maybe in a clan battle or something. But if you're top speed is 30 kph, and you accelerate 0-30 in 20 seconds, then an extra 5% won't do jack. Hell, even if you're a light or fast medium tank (which I doubt clans would use in an important fight), it's always dominated by big heavies or tier 7-10 crap anyway) 5% won't do much to increase your acceleration any significant amount.

Bottom line - forget the consumables if you're playing in low tiers, and even then the only time I'd use them is for clan battles. With the way tanks get hammered, chances are more than one module will be damaged, and more than 1 crew will be knocked out, and a repair/med kit can only do its job one time, after which your tank is STILL able to be damaged on the same spot - again.

Shayds #11 Posted May 23 2011 - 18:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I wish they gave a small xp bonus for use

It would encourage me to spend my 3000's easier

Bulcsu #12 Posted May 23 2011 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I carry a Repair Kit, First Aid Kit, and Fire Extinguisher on all of my tanks tier 6 and above but I rarely use them.

I think the fire extinguisher is the most useful to have, even though I don't use it much.  It's kinda like getting a Wet Ammo Rack for a T-44:  in most battles you won't see any difference, but when you get 1 shot you'll wish you had it.  I'm more than willing to pay 3000 credits to prevent my tank from burning to death.

kymrel #13 Posted May 23 2011 - 19:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostShaydsOfGrey, on May 23 2011 - 18:53, said:

I wish they gave a small xp bonus for use

It would encourage me to spend my 3000's easier
If you repair your gun or bring back your gunner they will probably make you plenty of XP as your still accurate gun can hit tanks it could not if it was damaged. Same for ammo/loader, if you take longer to reload you get less XP. If you repair your tracks and escape death you again have the opportunity to make xp by shooting tanks. I fail to see the need to give you xp for using consumables.

Grishnak #14 Posted May 25 2011 - 12:18

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am having trouble using my consumables.  Anyone else having trouble.  I have even gone in and assigned them to different keys and I still can't use them.  Do you need to be stationary?  Are there certain conditions?  Anyone have a recommendation?

Dinbatu #15 Posted May 25 2011 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostGrishnak, on May 25 2011 - 12:18, said:

I am having trouble using my consumables.  Anyone else having trouble.  I have even gone in and assigned them to different keys and I still can't use them.  Do you need to be stationary?  Are there certain conditions?  Anyone have a recommendation?
Which consumables you using ?

Grishnak #16 Posted May 26 2011 - 01:33

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have tried using the light repair kit and the first aid kit.

Dinbatu #17 Posted May 26 2011 - 09:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
you only use repair kit when one of your tank module damaged/destroy like tracks, gun, turret etc, and first aid kit when your crew injured like injured commander, gunner, loader, gunner. Note that you can only repair one module/ heal a crew once if using small repair kit and first aid kit.

pekiti #18 Posted May 26 2011 - 17:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
When you activate your First Aid Kit (or Repair kit) you need to hit the number key for it first (4,5, or 6) and then when the hotbar menu pops up showing the damaged crewman/module, you hit the number for that crew/item (1 through 6).

Using consumables is just like using ammo...use it when it will help you, and don't when it won't. Repairing my tracks, gun, or engine often means the difference between living or dying in a match. Healing my commander or gunner often means the difference between a frustrating string of misses (and later, death) and being able to keep punching until the round is over.

Oberst #19 Posted May 26 2011 - 17:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostGrishnak, on May 26 2011 - 01:33, said:

I have tried using the light repair kit and the first aid kit.
Are you just hitting the number assigned to the kit and nothing else?  If so, they won't work.  You need to hit the key for the kit, then look at the screen.  You will see a bar showing the options to repair, so you need to hit that number as well.  For example, I have the repair kit on key 4.  If I get tracked, I hit 4, then immediately hit key 5 which corresponds to the tracks.  I'm back in action about a second later.  The same holds true for the First Aid Kit, as you have to designate which crewmember to heal.

I know I had that problem the first times I tried to use the repair kit before I saw the bar on the bottom of the screen..

pekiti #20 Posted May 26 2011 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAlsadius, on May 21 2011 - 21:06, said:

Which of the consumables aren't actually consumed? I know the speed governor isn't, but are there any others? Reading the automatic fire extinguishers(specifically, the -10% fire chance part), I'm thinking that they might not be used up, but I'm way too cheap to actually test it. Alternately, can I just never use it and keep the -10% fire chance permanently?

The 50 gold Automatic Fire Extinguishers are triggered (and used up) when you get set on fire. Chances are less that you will be set on fire, because you have it installed, but if you are it's used instantly to extinguish the fire.

I still think the 50 gold ones are a bad investment unless you have money to burn (literally). The manual ones are excellent now, and do not fail to put out the fire when triggered (100% chance to extinguish now).