Bits of advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

terrantkain #1 Posted May 14 2011 - 04:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 576 battles
New player here...read through a few guides and I understand some of the strategy and the tanks but, I still have a few questions.

1) How in the world do you afford anything without buying gold? There's tanks that cost millions of credits, to say nothing of upgrades and such. And the most I've ever managed to get in a single battle is 5k. Now yeah I suck, but even making double that it could take thousands of games just to afford a single tank. I realize that's the end-tier ones but still, it seems daunting. Or does the money start scaling up? I mean I don't expect 100k a fight or anything, but more than 5k.

2) I wanna go TD, and I like the Germans. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. What ammo should I have in my PanzerJagr I? I keep hearing get both types and switch based on whether someone is higher or lower tier. EVERYONE is higher tier, or near enough.

3) Is it normal to get 1-shot by a lower-tier medium tank head on? Happens more than I'd like. I'm trying to hang back and snipe, but I find the entire enemy team scoots past my line and humps my face.

Sadukar09 #2 Posted May 14 2011 - 04:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19837 battles

View Postterrantkain, on May 14 2011 - 04:15, said:

New player here...read through a few guides and I understand some of the strategy and the tanks but, I still have a few questions.

1) How in the world do you afford anything without buying gold? There's tanks that cost millions of credits, to say nothing of upgrades and such. And the most I've ever managed to get in a single battle is 5k. Now yeah I suck, but even making double that it could take thousands of games just to afford a single tank. I realize that's the end-tier ones but still, it seems daunting. Or does the money start scaling up? I mean I don't expect 100k a fight or anything, but more than 5k.

2) I wanna go TD, and I like the Germans. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. What ammo should I have in my PanzerJagr I? I keep hearing get both types and switch based on whether someone is higher or lower tier. EVERYONE is higher tier, or near enough.

3) Is it normal to get 1-shot by a lower-tier medium tank head on? Happens more than I'd like. I'm trying to hang back and snipe, but I find the entire enemy team scoots past my line and humps my face.
1. Money gets more abundant in higher tier games. Even more so if you purchased a premium account. Around tier 6, you can expect to gain ~20k-30k for a good game. ~14k without premium account.

2. AP. HE is useless until the Hetzer, which can mount the 10,5cm howitzer.

3. Low tier tank destroyers have no armour at all. For some vehicles like the M2 Medium Tank, they can easily one shot them because they have low tier howitzers. Of course, you could always have been ammo racked.

andyraptor #3 Posted May 14 2011 - 04:32

Major

• Players
  • 40056 battles
1) You have 4 slots in a standard garage so play all four slots. ie exit the battle if you are destroyed and start another battle. Experience does ramp up the higher you go. I would buy the smallest amount of gold possible... I think it's about $6? just to use to convert experience onto your German TD line.

2) Load a mixture of ammo 60-40% (AP-HE)

3) Remember TD's have low hull armour thickness but the hertzer has good slope.... so the answer, sometimes, is yes :)

ares1032 #4 Posted May 14 2011 - 04:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5746 battles
Like Sadukar said, money gets better as you go along so don't get discouraged.  Pz1 is bad no doubt but the rest of the line gets better.  Personally I like both the Russian and German TD line as well as the Russian heavy line.  If you can make it to the KV with the 107mm you can easily profit 20K per game.  

That said, having premium helps A LOT.

Have fun!

LMG #5 Posted May 14 2011 - 05:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2183 battles
1. Later in the game you get more credits per battle by default (even more if you get some skills ;) ).

2. I'd say check the gun stats before you buy the ammo. If you think penetration is too low, then get enought HE ammo, but keep AP on a high level too (except on the Hetzer's 10.5 cm cannon). If you see that your gun has good enought penetration values, then you can buy a lot of AP (I usually buy some HE shells as well, just in case).
For example:
-The Marder's top gun pretty much penetrates anything it has to fight, so AP ammo is what you have to buy mainly (some people don't even buy HE).
-the JagdPzIV's 8.8 cm cannon has rather low penetration for its tier, so try to balance out AP and HE (AP for what you can penetrate, HE for the rest).
HE should only be used if you have to fght a tank that you cannot penetrate (or if the tank is too far away, in which case AP's penetration values decrease), with the Hetzer's 10.5 cm again being the exception.

3. Most low tier TDs can be easily one-shotted. Hetzer can take some hits on the front (thanks to it's sloped armor), but if someone gets on your side, you're pretty much dead. It wasn't until I got the JagdPzIV in beta that I could get hit more than once without loosing more than half of my life (but tracks and engine damage tend to happen more often)

One more thing: remember that the player that becomes good with the crapiest tool will become better than the one that only used the ones that are easier to use. I think that's why I tend to prefer the TDs that other people dislike. If you ever need some guidance in-game, I could help you in a trainning room :Smile_great:

Lougle #6 Posted May 14 2011 - 07:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13052 battles

View Postterrantkain, on May 14 2011 - 04:15, said:

1)  Credits will come quicker as you move up.  20K credits/match is my avg for tier five tanks. (profit after repairs & ammo)

2)  German TDs are great in my opionion.  I had a blast in my Marder, Hetzer and StuG III.   I still have the StuG because he is a credit printing           machine.  As for ammo you get both types if you are having trouble penetrating some tanks.  Use armor pen if you can penetrate, switch to HE if you cannot.

3)  Low tier tanks are getting one shot from everyone.   You'll be able to take a direct shot easier as you move up the tree and start getting better armor values for your front. (better sloping too)  In the end though the best way to survive as a tank destroyer is not to get shot at, at all!  Pick your spots if you can and snipe from as far as possible.

Good luck and enjoy the German TDs,  I did !  :)

terrantkain #7 Posted May 14 2011 - 16:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 576 battles
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it..

So maybe I'm not quite getting AP on guns vs AP on ammo. If a gun already has a high pen value, I wanna use AP ammo as well?

So if I get it right, that means the gun's AP value is a measurement of how much your shells COULD penetrate (dependent on ammo), so it's a waste to have high pen shells on a low pen gun, because they're not gonna do much? Is that right?

Asaiko #8 Posted May 14 2011 - 16:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1070 battles
Also dont forget to try and get your crew to a higher level of training to achieve the listed stats on your equipment. Low skill means your  TD doesnt do what it says on the box :lol:

PumaAC #9 Posted May 14 2011 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 31721 battles

View Postterrantkain, on May 14 2011 - 16:05, said:

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it..

So maybe I'm not quite getting AP on guns vs AP on ammo. If a gun already has a high pen value, I wanna use AP ammo as well?

So if I get it right, that means the gun's AP value is a measurement of how much your shells COULD penetrate (dependent on ammo), so it's a waste to have high pen shells on a low pen gun, because they're not gonna do much? Is that right?

That's not really the way it works.  There's not a seperate penetration for gun -vs- shell, rather penetration is really a matter of the shell's values.  Of course the game averages and gives a rating showing penetration for the three different types of shells (AP/premium/HE) for each gun, but if the gun is firing HE shells it's the HE shell's penetration the game will use.

Here's a way of looking at it:

Armor Piercing shells (AP) do alot of damage when they're fully able to penetrate the armor with a shot.  When they can't penetrate, they do no damage at all.  At further ranges, though, their penetration value is decreased.  So while you might slam a shell through that KV armor up close, when it's 500 meters away it might bounce off every time doing no damage at that further range.

High Explosive shells (HE) are not affected by range at all.  And they do damage in most cases even when they can't penetrate, just not alot of damage. So at long range, HE shells will do just as much damage as if the tank is point-blank (and in that point-blank case, beware that HE shells actually cause 'splash' damage and can even do damage to you for firing it against a target so close that it's ramming you). When high explosive shells DO penetrate (though usually they have a very low penetration rating), they do alot more damage.

What does this mean?
If you have no hope at all of penetrating an enemy tank's armor, use HE because it'll at least do some damage and might even track the tank (especially if you aim for the tracks).
If you most likely will penetrate the enemy's armor, and are at a reasonably close range so that your AP shell will still penetrate, use AP rounds and aim for the parts of the tank with weaker armor if you can. Back and sides almost always have weaker armor than front, for example.

It's not always obvious, but once it "clicks" and you get the experience of how to react to the situation by chosing ammo, it should come easy.

foodie #10 Posted May 14 2011 - 18:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28275 battles
Also, don't knock the Panzerjager I, my 8-kill record on it is STILL my highest! :P

DemonicSpoon #11 Posted May 14 2011 - 18:25

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3204 battles
Addition to the above...HE does more base damage than AP. If you can penetrate with HE, it does huge damage. However, HE  penetration usually isn't good.

Hobbe #12 Posted May 15 2011 - 01:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 8092 battles
http://forum.worldof...are-calculated/

Credits earned go up dramatically though tier 8, when repairs become huge.

You will eventually be wallowing in credits.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users