Whats a good medium tank?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Drunkstain #1 Posted May 14 2011 - 06:16

Private

• Players
  • 576 battles
I am new player and after reading some descriptions, it sounds like medium would be my style. I want to run and gun not just sit all map.

What is good tank to aim for as medium? Whats teh best way to get there? Any other tips is appreciated.

Thanks

DemonicSpoon #2 Posted May 14 2011 - 06:38

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3204 battles
"What is a good medium tank"? Let me read you the list of all the medium tanks in the game.

Really, I don't understand what people hope to get by asking that question. Unless the game is hopelessly unbalanced there's no real answer to that question.

I'll summarize:

Germany: Mid-tiers with mediums you have a pretty decent variety. The Panzer IV is an epic sniper and the Panzer III/IV is a very fast, agile medium that performs almost like a light while having impressive armor and a decent gun. The VK series continues that, with VK3601 being a pseudo-heavy and the VK3001P/VK3001H behind more agile. The VK3002DB is pretty agile and has great armor protection, but not an amazing gun for its tier. The Panther and Panther II are fast, pretty agile, with good guns...But they're quite big and thus easy to hit. German guns tend to be smaller, fast-firing, and accurate. German mediums in general emphasize maneuvering around to snipe. The major downside is that, aside from the VK3601, they have fuck all for side/rear armor (though they're often quite well-protected frontally).

Russian: Starting with the T-34 you have a good mix of speed, firepower, and armor. A very good basic medium tank that's pretty much good at everything. The T-34/85 is a bit less agile but has a much better gun (and no better armor) making it a very good mobile sniper. The T-43 is pretty much a tougher, less agile version of the t-34/85. The T-44 and T-54 really start to emphasize speed; they're both some of the fastest and most agile tanks in the game. All Russian mediums have good armor protection all around.

American: The M7 is pretty much a light tank with a lot of speed and a very good gun (similar to the Panzer III/IV, except with less armor and even more speed). The M4 sherman is pretty big, but also pretty quick with some very nice guns including a 105mm howitzer. The M4A3E8 is pretty much an improved version of that, albeit it loses the 105mm. The T20 and T23 are both pretty similar, don't know too much about them, but they're pretty quick with decent guns and good armor. The Pershing has a fantastic gun, good armor for a medium, though it's a bit slower than the Panther II and (especially) the T-54. As far as armor protection, they're pretty much a mix between Germany and Russia. Their side/rear armor protection isn't absolute ass, but it's not as good as the Russians either.

as far as getting there...Don't go up one line at a time. You'll get bored, and you won't have any other tanks to screw around with when your main is in battle. Personally, in my garage I have an SU-8, an SU-26, an SU-85, a T-28, a KV, an A-32, an M4A3E8, and an SU-76...though to go as extreme as I did you do have to use gold to buy extra garage slots.

As far as REAL tips...

-Your greatest asset as a medium is your speed. Speed is NOT going to let you dodge shots, don't even try. Your speed is there to allow you to reposition quickly, pop out from cover and fire quickly, run away if you're getting overrun, etc. Just tonight i had an M6 (tier 6 heavy) cowering behind a rock for the entire match because my Panzer III/IV (tier 5 medium) would blast him and pop behind a rock before he could retaliate any time he poked his head out. What I didn't do is charge him and attempt to circlestrafe him. That will just get you killed in most circumstances.

-Stay with friends. This applies to all tanks, but especially mediums..You will not do much alone.

-Figure out what you can penetrate and what you can't. Use the penetration indicator on your HUD (green = you can probably penetrate, red = no), as well as knowledge of tank stats and your gun and how slope affects it, to gauge whether or not to shoot. Drawing attention to yourself when you aren't going to do damage is a great way to die in a fire.

Bore #3 Posted May 14 2011 - 07:02

Captain

• Players
  • 10682 battles
What he said ^
But basically what ever kind of tank you want, Russia does it best.

Aluminum_ #4 Posted May 14 2011 - 07:16

Captain

• Players
  • 12136 battles

View PostBore, on May 14 2011 - 07:02, said:

What he said ^
But basically what ever kind of tank you want, Russia does it best.
Except SPG's

Lert #5 Posted May 14 2011 - 11:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44693 battles

View PostBore, on May 14 2011 - 07:02, said:

What he said ^
But basically what ever kind of tank you want, Russia does it easiest.
Fixed.

Russian tanks are easy-mode. They're more forgiving, they're easy to do well in, but they're not spectacular.

German and american tanks are hard mode. They're less forgiving, less easy to master, but they can be very, VERY effective in the hands of someone who knows how to handle them. I hold a capable german or american tank player in much, much higher regard than an equally effective russian one.

Drunkstain #6 Posted May 14 2011 - 18:29

Private

• Players
  • 576 battles

View PostLert, on May 14 2011 - 11:00, said:

Fixed.

Russian tanks are easy-mode. They're more forgiving, they're easy to do well in, but they're not spectacular.

German and american tanks are hard mode. They're less forgiving, less easy to master, but they can be very, VERY effective in the hands of someone who knows how to handle them. I hold a capable german or american tank player in much, much higher regard than an equally effective russian one.

What do you mean? What is the german playstyle? I am going up in their tree as of now.....and im not doing well haha. I guess its safe to say i still dont get this game yet ;x.

DemonicSpoon #7 Posted May 14 2011 - 18:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3204 battles

What do you mean? What is the german playstyle? I am going up in their tree as of now.....and im not doing well haha. I guess its safe to say i still dont get this game yet ;x.

In general, German tanks have their armor concentrated in the front (= showing your side is more punishing than with Russians or Americans) and they have better accuracy, penetration and ROF at the expense of damage per shot.

These are just generalities though. It's different with each tank.

McDerp #8 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 21:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 11080 battles
Want an answer instead of a lecture?  Go American, especially the E8 Sherman.  It epitomizes what a medium tank is in my opinion.  I'm going through all three medium lines right now, and the Americans just do it better.  They have the most agile tanks, allowing you to hit and move.  The German tanks are slow, very slow.  I'm at tier 6 in the German line, and it's not getting better.  They're camping tanks, made for wannabe snipers.  From your description, you will not like them.  I play similar to you, I do not camp unless it's absolutely necessary.  And the Germans are just not for people like you and me.  Quit their line while you still can.

The Russians have a tier 5, the T-34 that is agile and shoots fast, with the 57mm gun.  That tank's okay too; similar to the E8 Sherman, but much less armor.  And it's your choice whether to keep climbing the tiers.  I've noticed that it's not very fun after tier 7, too much work, and the costs go up if you're not using a premium account.  I'm making a conscious choice to not go beyond tier 7, except for one tank (American line no less).  

Again, short answer is to go American.

Zakume #9 Posted Jul 08 2011 - 23:52

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31398 battles
Any nation you want, they all have good mediums here and there.

quadraleap #10 Posted Jul 09 2011 - 08:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 5773 battles
  • [VETR] VETR
My favorite medium is the M7. You can run circles around the big boys and fire on them like crazy.

Nakiami #11 Posted Jul 09 2011 - 14:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4613 battles

View PostMcDerp, on Jul 08 2011 - 21:34, said:

The German tanks are slow, very slow.  I'm at tier 6 in the German line, and it's not getting better.  They're camping tanks, made for wannabe snipers.

I started American medium and am now going up to a Panther.  I liked the PzKpfw III/IV a lot: 55kph, gets there fast, and turns well.  Doesn't shoot as fast as the M7, but has better armor (nearly twice as much); it doesn't shoot as fast but shoots fast enough to satisfy me.

Now the VK30P is slow and not very maneuverable. Sure it can go 60 .. downhill with a tailwind.  I'll get the VK DB today.

Will_of_Iron #12 Posted Jul 09 2011 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 29271 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB
I like my panzer 4 :) Then again, my Sherman is really great at times. Either way, CURSE YOU T-44s!!!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users