Dual Processors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

yuseung #1 Posted May 16 2011 - 00:52

Private

• Players
  • 6564 battles
I have an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 64 and its has two processors;I have both processors on but I read on another topic that this game doesn't run very well with more than one on so, if I only use one, will the game run faster?

Konflict #2 Posted May 16 2011 - 00:53

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3209 battles
What you have is a single Dual Core CPU, not 2 processors.

Right now WoT will only use 1 of those cores.

The CPU I am running is a Intel I7 975xe which has 4 cores and hyper threading for a total of 8 threads. WoT only uses one of those atm.

_Dia_ #3 Posted May 16 2011 - 00:57

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 31807 battles
It's not the game doesn't run well with two. It's that it's optimized for single cores.

It means that if you have a processor with more than 1 core, 1 will be at, let's say 90% power and the other 4 or 5 at 5%.

It only uses one core.

Ex: Core 2 Duo-1 core at 90%, other at 5%
Intel Core i7-1 core at 90%, 7 cores at 4%
etc.

yuseung #4 Posted May 16 2011 - 01:04

Private

• Players
  • 6564 battles

View PostKonflict, on May 16 2011 - 00:53, said:

What you have is a single Dual Core CPU, not 2 processors.

Right now WoT will only use 1 of those cores.

The CPU I am running is a Intel I7 975xe which has 4 cores and hyper threading for a total of 8 threads. WoT only uses one of those atm.
So it wont matter if I turn on one or both cores?

Konflict #5 Posted May 16 2011 - 01:47

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3209 battles

View Postyuseung, on May 16 2011 - 01:04, said:

So it wont matter if I turn on one or both cores?

Leave both cores turned on.

WoT will not use more than one core. What you see on the others cores is system related stuff and other programs you have running.

I run WoT in window mode so I can run many things at the same time. With more RAM you can do a lot of things. I have 12gig on my system and my CPU running at 3.9ghz so WoT does not slow me down at all.

On your CPU you could do several things at the same time. But as your CPU is more than a few years old and depending on your graphics and the amount of RAM you have it might start to slow your comp down so just run WoT.

RayJones #6 Posted May 17 2011 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6394 battles

View PostKonflict, on May 16 2011 - 01:47, said:

WoT will not use more than one core. What you see on the others cores is system related stuff and other programs you have running.

If thats the case then has anyone ever tried changing the affinity of processes to boost game performance? You can do that by right-clicking processes in Task Manager.

Consider a system with 4 processor cores. We could try setting the affinity of  WoT processes to Core 1,2 &3 and set the affinity of other/background programs to Core 4. So that the execution of WoT threads in Core 1,2 & 3  won't be hindered by other programs.  Other programs will also run comfortably in the other core. This COULD boost game performance although I haven't tried it yet.  A slight problem is that the system doesn't allow affinity change of some processes without registry modification or resource hacking.

Hotwired #7 Posted May 17 2011 - 17:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles

View PostRayJones, on May 17 2011 - 17:42, said:

If thats the case then has anyone ever tried changing the affinity of processes to boost game performance? You can do that by right-clicking processes in Task Manager.

Consider a system with 4 processor cores. We could try setting the affinity of  WoT processes to Core 1,2 &3 and set the affinity of other/background programs to Core 4. So that the execution of WoT threads in Core 1,2 & 3  won't be hindered by other programs.  Other programs will also run comfortably in the other core. This COULD boost game performance although I haven't tried it yet.  A slight problem is that the system doesn't allow affinity change of some processes without registry modification or resource hacking.

What you're suggesting is that you'd somehow make it into a multi-core supporting program by creating affinity to multiple cores.

But multi-core support doesn't work like that.

You can set it to use 1 core or 7/8 cores.

By default it has affinity to all four cores on a quad core.

It still uses just one core.

RayJones #8 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:10

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6394 battles

View PostHotwired, on May 17 2011 - 17:57, said:

What you're suggesting is that you'd somehow make it into a multi-core supporting program by creating affinity to multiple cores.

No I am just saying the core in which WoT wants to work....it should be dedicated to WoT only. The method above is a way to keep other programs from coming in the way of WoT thread execution thus decreasing waiting time. If WoT isn't executing any threads...then its "dedicated core" would be idle then as soon as WoT creates a new thread...it would get executed immediately and then the core will return to idle state. So theoretically waiting time would be zero and throughput will be maximum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users