Doing damage as a TD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

terrantkain #21 Posted May 16 2011 - 15:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 576 battles
I'm noting similar problems with my Hetzer and heavies, ESPECIALLY the KV. I upgrading the to 10.5 gun, and holy heck, when I shoot things that aren't heavies, they stop being there. It's great.

I hit a KV from long range, doesn't matter what it hits or which ammo I use. it bounces, or does maybe 1%. I hit it close range in the tracks, and it does like 15%. Tops. I once got a "critical hit!" that did 3%. I hit the sucker's engine, and that's all I got. it calmly turned and 1-shot me. That part I kinda understand, I didn't get away smartly. But seriously, I can't scratch heavies!

Trainwreck20 #22 Posted May 16 2011 - 15:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 19981 battles
  • [VAST] VAST
I have recently started up the Russian TD branch, and have found Heavies very hard to damage but not impossible; OTOH, I tend to be sniping (or attempting to) from some distance away, so I am sure my gun is not all the effective anyway (I am in an SU-76 at the moment).  I do like hunting heavies somewhat, though, due to their low speed - I can get off several shots before they can even begin to move, and if I am taking side shots at them, I do manage some noticeable damage during that time.  Honestly, I prefer to engage the heavies after they have found something else to engage and are distracted.  Their poor spotting seems to keep me from getting picked up by their spotting network and I can often avoid arti shots.  If they are facing me to begin with, I just pretend I don't see them and wait for a better opportunity.

Anyway, relative to the time/money/exp it takes to get into a TD, it is somewhat effective against heavies under certain scenarios.  Personally, I find the light tanks are much more of a nuisance :).

CaptIceman #23 Posted May 16 2011 - 19:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 16 2011 - 07:27, said:

I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks and at first I thought it was really enjoyable.  Then I got into using the Hetzer which I read was a terrible grind, so I put up with it.

Now, I'm in the Stug and everything seems to be the same.  For example, in the Hetzer my shots kept bouncing/not doing damage whether I was using AP or HE.  Now in the Stug, I can't damage anything.  I've read how TDs are useful for long range support (which is what drew me to them) on medium/light vehicles.  The only damn problem is... no one plays light or medium tanks.

Just recently, I'm probably 50 feet from a KV in my Stug and knowing I won't damage him with AP, I use HE and literally take off only 1%.  His return shot kills me, even when I try to move after getting my shot off.  

Is this what's in store as the tiers progress?  Having to succumb to playing heavy tanks because they can't be damaged and they 1 shot all lights, mediums, TDs, and arties?  It's ridiculous that a heavy can be shot by multiple vehicles while also one-shotting most other vehicles at the same time.

I have to agree that, until fully upgraded, the Stug may have some sorry moments.

But once you get the tracks, top engine and the 7.5 StucK 42L/70 on it, it becomes pure ownage.

As a golden rule: If you on top of the food chain use AP, if you are at the bottom, use HE.

I managed to take tons of HP out of much bigger tanks (KV-3, IS, M6, heck even IS-4's) with HE ammo.

My StugIII is among the tanks that I have most fun right now, just right after my Elited T34-85.

Also, as a TD, you should try to use cammo to your advantage. Keep in mind that everytime you move, you expose yourself.

MadBadger #24 Posted May 16 2011 - 20:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22188 battles
I wouldn't normally say this to anyone in a Stug, but it IS the newcomers forum...

Make sure you are not using auto-aim, which will point you at the strongest armor too often.

Zoom in and adjust your aim until you see that you have a green tip to your targeting reticle - that shows you will likely penetrate if you hit.

Wait for your aiming circle to reduce all the way to make sure you hit as close as possible to your aim spot.

As stated before, if you see a heavy tank with a big gun (eg, not a T1 Heavy) has there gun pointed towards your direction, it's time to move. You're a tank destroyer, not a ninja.

LMG #25 Posted May 16 2011 - 21:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2183 battles
If you equip the Hetzer with the 10.5 cm cannon, you will damage anything that you have to fight. If you equip the StuG III with the last cannon you unlock, you can damage almost everything you have to fight (depends upon where are you shooting). Any of the StuG's cannons can penetrate the KV, so I'm not sure what is that you're doing <_<

By the way, with the Hetzer's 10.5 use HE only, and with the StuG's cannon use AP (HE don't do much damage most of the time, so keep it as a last resort)

CaptIceman #26 Posted May 16 2011 - 22:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles

View PostMadBadger, on May 16 2011 - 20:30, said:

I wouldn't normally say this to anyone in a Stug, but it IS the newcomers forum...

Zoom in and adjust your aim until you see that you have a green tip to your targeting reticle - that shows you will likely penetrate if you hit.

In order to get the red/green indicator you have to go to your settings and select the pen indicator crosshair.  :Smile_great:

It´s indeed a great help to avoid wasting shells on a target u can1t pen.

Also, HE can do damage (critical hits) even if you can't pen.

stevefe #27 Posted May 17 2011 - 19:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 43658 battles
  • [PVTR] PVTR
I've got a marder with the 76mm and KV's aren't that much trouble. My favorite place to aim is the turret ring. It takes 3 or 4 shots to kill it but it's not that difficult. At least if they're not shooting back.

terrantkain #28 Posted May 17 2011 - 20:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 576 battles
Switching to HE rounds and getting a little closer has helped. I can take as much as 30% off a T1 or KV with a good shot. Usually a minimum of 15%. I've learned not to try and one-on-one them, but point them out for the artilery and help pick them off before they can run away.

foodie #29 Posted May 18 2011 - 16:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28275 battles

View Postterrantkain, on May 17 2011 - 20:03, said:

Switching to HE rounds and getting a little closer has helped. I can take as much as 30% off a T1 or KV with a good shot. Usually a minimum of 15%. I've learned not to try and one-on-one them, but point them out for the artilery and help pick them off before they can run away.

Another thing that helps with this is abusing the fantastic reticle squish speed and accuracy to track them by shooting their front wheel, making them sitting ducks for your boolits as well as arty.

Captain_DirtyLeotard #30 Posted May 18 2011 - 19:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32458 battles
Just a couple of things to add:

1) If you are playing correctly the target should be rolling up to you, not the opposite.  This is where a good team and scouts come into play.  From the start you should have the advantage which is being hidden from view.  At the start of the fights kill the scouts, they will get you killed and occasionally cause you some heartburn, this by letting the opposing team know where your at and sometimes critically damaging your ride.  

2)Know the maps, if there is a high traffic area, position yourself accordingly, preferably in a position where you can get more of a side view of the attacking tanks.  TD's can be very dangerous and even a neusance to much higher tier vehicles.  You need to play smart by shooting weak spots, this you will learn over time, but fyi next to the Lee my next favorite target is a KV.  The whole turret less for the front has thin armor and sticks out like a soar thumb.  

3)Easy targets with high siloueets or rushing tanks are your priorty after the scouts.  If it is a very hard target track it so you and your mates can pound them.  A tank that cannot move is a dead one since now the bigger tanks can tee off, along with the arty, and you my be able to find that commanders coppola or even drivers window. Shoot those and you will certainly cause damage.

4)Dont underestimate HE rounds as they can knock out crew members, blow off turrets, or start fires more often.  Sometimes you know you can do 10% damage per shot which is better than 0% because of bounces.

Konigreich #31 Posted May 19 2011 - 07:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles
Well, same $hit, different day.  I do use the crosshair that turns green/red depending on if you can penetrate their armor or not.  I'm at about 82% for my crew with a camo net and all upgrades (currently working on the 30k experience tank upgrade to get the f*ck away from the Stug).

Again, it is frustrating to have several shots in a row do little to no damage.  However, the biggest frustration is to be "sniping" and have a KV lackadaisically turn around and one shot you.

I said this in another post, but I like the "idea" of roles in this game.  It's what made me want to play a TD.  However, I should have known that when 90% of the population played heavy tanks and 89% were Russian heavy tanks that playing anything else was futile.

Lougle #32 Posted May 19 2011 - 07:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13052 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 19 2011 - 07:27, said:

Well, same $hit, different day.  I do use the crosshair that turns green/red depending on if you can penetrate their armor or not.  I'm at about 82% for my crew with a camo net and all upgrades (currently working on the 30k experience tank upgrade to get the f*ck away from the Stug).

Again, it is frustrating to have several shots in a row do little to no damage.  However, the biggest frustration is to be "sniping" and have a KV lackadaisically turn around and one shot you.

I said this in another post, but I like the "idea" of roles in this game.  It's what made me want to play a TD.  However, I should have known that when 90% of the population played heavy tanks and 89% were Russian heavy tanks that playing anything else was futile.

I responded in the other thread where you mentioned this one, so I came to have a look.

You have gotten some real great advice in this thread,  but it seems you don't want to listen.  Oh well.

Just a heads up as good as the StuG III is (and it is, even if you don't see it)  The next tank in the German line is arguably the WORST tank destroyer in the entire German line.  So if after all this advice you still think the Stug is a crappy tank, stop right now.  You do not want to drive a JagdPz IV.

Bullwinklle #33 Posted May 19 2011 - 09:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 7414 battles
  • [L-M-B] L-M-B
I  love my stug, L70 ftw choose your shots wisely, don't just start blasting away when a heavy has his barrel aimed at you, KV turns his turret and gives you the chane to put 3 or 4 into that cardboard box he calls a turret, then MOVE before he turns to try and one shot you, you can't honestly expect to sit in one spot and rape tanks because it's a TD.

Just wait till you have the lolJagd Panzer IV, I plate it very aggressively with some succes, eg stick with the big boys and pick at ppl from just behind your lines, I've taken out M6's just by getting a couple shots off before I'm spotted, then on when he's inside 100m nail his track charge out flank him while he can't turn his hull and put 2 more into his flank to finish him off, albeit a 1v1 like that doesn't happen alot, paitence in a TD is probably the most important skill to have. No patience you say? Better go grind a Russian hvy then...

Watch #34 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 1898 battles
The best I have ever seen a Jagdpanther preform would be in a match I was in a couple days ago. Me in my SU-85B and a Jagdpanther were in a set of relativly close to each other STuG had the highground and a T-29 Heavy rolled up on us. I shot his tracks off while doing 0% damage landing a critical hit  <_<. and got instantly dusted in the return fire. However, the Jagdpanther held his ground shot at the T-29's tracks while in cover from the highground. The T-29 started returning fire on the Jagdpanther but kept bouncing shells off the exposed front armor of the Jagdpanther after 2 minutes of the T-29 being tracked and finally dead; The Jagdpanther rolled away with 100% still above his Tank. I will be a firm believer that positioning makes all the difference. :Smile-playing:

kodern #35 Posted May 19 2011 - 14:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6756 battles
So am I still waiting...

Konigreich #36 Posted May 19 2011 - 17:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles

View PostLougle, on May 19 2011 - 07:48, said:

I responded in the other thread where you mentioned this one, so I came to have a look.

You have gotten some real great advice in this thread,  but it seems you don't want to listen.  Oh well.

Just a heads up as good as the StuG III is (and it is, even if you don't see it)  The next tank in the German line is arguably the WORST tank destroyer in the entire German line.  So if after all this advice you still think the Stug is a crappy tank, stop right now.  You do not want to drive a JagdPz IV.

I won't even comment no you having a hard-on for my posts, that's your own issues.

If you actually read the posts, I clearly state that I do most of the things that were advised.  So blow me, and if you can't offer a useful contribution besides "you're not listening" after I clearly state that I am, then you can stay the f*ck off of this thread.  Mmk?

Lougle #37 Posted May 20 2011 - 04:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13052 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 19 2011 - 17:23, said:

I won't even comment no you having a hard-on for my posts, that's your own issues.

If you actually read the posts, I clearly state that I do most of the things that were advised.  So blow me, and if you can't offer a useful contribution besides "you're not listening" after I clearly state that I am, then you can stay the f*ck off of this thread.  Mmk?

Wow, why so hostile?   I was trying to help out but you don't really want any help.  You just want to whine and moan.

Not my fault you can't compete in one of the easiest tanks in this game.  No big deal, not everyone can be decent at this game, you are just horrible.

THE STUG IS AN AWESOME TANK AND JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK DOESN'T CHANGE HOW DAMN AWESOME IT IS!!

Novocaine #38 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:07

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1502 battles

Here's a comment maybe you can understand. Go back to playing WoW because you clearly don't have the skill to play here. MmK?

Bullwinklle #39 Posted May 21 2011 - 12:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 7414 battles
  • [L-M-B] L-M-B

If you actually read the posts, I clearly state that I do most of the things that were advised.  So blow me, and if you can't offer a useful contribution besides "you're not listening" after I clearly state that I am, then you can stay  the f*ck off of this thread.  Mmk?

Wow, you get sound advice on how to use stug, you say you do "most" of it, and your still not having any luck. So you get told to step back and take a look because your obviously not doing something right as the stug is a great td. So you go all emo nerdrage on someone that has pointed out that your doing it wrong.

Whatever happened to saying thanks, and realizing that you might just be a crappy TD player.

Konigreich #40 Posted May 21 2011 - 18:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles

View PostBullwinklle, on May 21 2011 - 12:17, said:

Wow, you get sound advice on how to use stug, you say you do "most" of it, and your still not having any luck. So you get told to step back and take a look because your obviously not doing something right as the stug is a great td. So you go all emo nerdrage on someone that has pointed out that your doing it wrong.

Whatever happened to saying thanks, and realizing that you might just be a crappy TD player.

View PostKonigreich, on May 16 2011 - 08:13, said:

Thanks for all the advice.

Step 1 - Read

Step 2 - Realize this is a newcomer's forum where people come for help.

Step 3 - See my other thread where I posted a video and have gotten and thanked the constructive criticism.  A thread I started because people with absolutely no help ruined this one.

Step 4 - Keep your nose out of $hit that you can't contribute to.

Step 5 - It's spelled "you're" you illiterate c*nt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users