Advice from the Veterans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Magick #1 Posted May 17 2011 - 12:01

Major

• Players
  • 3572 battles
Let's face it. We've all been in the same boat before. Starting with a low tier tank, finding ourselves quickly getting swamped in battles, unable to really keep up. Yet, time and time again, there was one bit of advice. One thing that someone told us that changed that.  So this is a thread for those single little gems.  Veterans, please keep the advice short. Walls of text really aren't going to help here.  Since I started the thread, I guess I'll also offer the first gem of advice.

Don't just rush into battle. The longer you live, the more you gain.
This was the hardest thing for me to learn. Tier 1 battles are so often people rushing across the field at Malivonka, or tearing around Pagorki like no one's business. However I found that if I hung back, stayed on the defensive some, I could live longer.  By living longer, I earned more experience; and in turn was able to progress further in the tiers. Now, as I look back, I try to pass this onto others. It may seem slow at times, and in higher tiers there will be battles that seem to drag on for ages, but holding your ground and staying alive always gets you more experience than being the first tank to die.

Armored_Ninja #2 Posted May 17 2011 - 12:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5659 battles
you said Vetrans and here i was thinking Military Vetrans like myself, What a let down

Feyd #3 Posted May 17 2011 - 12:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2957 battles
Seconded.

GRB_Duck #4 Posted May 17 2011 - 12:50

Captain

• Players
  • 18507 battles
All right - advice from a United States Army Veteran -
If your ever in Huntsville Al - Redstone Arsenal - Don't take Rocket Cab, the'll rip you off.

There is some first hand, real world advice from a Veteran.

LordBerk #5 Posted May 17 2011 - 13:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14875 battles
Alright I'll offer some.

1. Play to your tank's strengths. What sets your tank apart from others? You don't play a TD like a scout or medium or heavy. If your artie has a fast reload compared to others of it's tier then maybe you should be aiming fast, firing fast, and relocating fast (or you'll be dying fast ;) )

2. Match your tank to YOUR playstyle. As one who played every type till max almost in Beta even vets are guilty of this. Sometimes I'm messing around playing my T-54 like my JTiger or vice versa, after substantial testing (ie. 1000's of matches) you can look at your own stats and find own what you are really good at. For me, the numbers screamed TD's.

3. Move, move, move.

4. Sometimes it's OK to run away. Charging 5 by yourself will almost always get you killed, regardless how great you think your personal skill is. When you relocate you give allies a time to react to that big red blob coming in.

5. Ram leopards. Just because, OK.

NavyCuda #6 Posted May 17 2011 - 13:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16291 battles
  • [CGN] CGN
Don't eat yellow snow.

Rickenbacker #7 Posted May 17 2011 - 13:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Advice from a vet? Eat, sleep and take a dump whenever the opportunity presents itself. You never know when you'll have the chance next. :)

Ghosth #8 Posted May 17 2011 - 13:17

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5276 battles
  • [LUPI] LUPI
When upgrading, tracks first, always tracks first.

Tracks give you the load capacity to mount everything else.
In some tanks tracks upgrade will give you considerably more top speed.
As far as I know all tracks upgrades give you better traverse.

Crew skill makes a huge difference!
Take the time to grind the credits to start that crew at 75% instead of 50%.

I'd been struggling a bit with the Stug, just having a hard time hitting even when I aimed right, etc.
As crew moved through 85% up through 90% all of a sudden even my snap shots and shots taken on the move from external view started hitting. Crew is now up to 96% and the stug is as I remembered it in beta, a fearsome machine. But crew skill below 85%, not so much fear there.

Don't sell your tier 5 tanks, they are the best credit and xp farmers.
Especially Tier 5's with big guns.
SU-85, Stug, M4 Sherman w/105, KV, etc.
Running any 2-3 of these you should be able to grind 100k credits an hour, or very close to it.
Tier 5's have low repair and ammo costs combined with good earning potential. IE they can do lots of damage.

no1blink #9 Posted May 17 2011 - 14:24

Private

• Players
  • 324 battles
Always try to make as small a target as possible. Don't go in sideways you make a bigger target and expose the weaker part of your tank in most if not all conditions and tracks will be broken leaving you a sitting duck. Oh and don't face arties head-on cause common sense says you will get it handed back to you, and will spend the better part of the day putting it back together.

kaegogi #10 Posted May 17 2011 - 15:13

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8574 battles
If you're stationed in Germany, don't f••k with the Polizei. They have no sense of humor.

CaptIceman #11 Posted May 17 2011 - 16:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13450 battles
Well, I'm not a vet by any means, since I'm playing this game just for a month.

But one thing I've learned from watching other vet's (and feeling the consequences  :( ), and most new players aren't aware of, is that some kind of veichles don't have rotating turrets and thus have to pivot to actually aquire a target.
This is the case of almost all SPG's and TD's and the M3 Lee tank.

Being aware of this, if you face one of those, just try to rotate around them, or better yet, ram them side by side, so they can't rotate to get you in their sights and rotate your turret to pump them full of shots.  :Smile-izmena:
Hitting their tracks causing them to freeze is also a good tactic. But once you track them, don't stay in front waiting for backfire. Go side by side and finish them off.
More than once I had to ROFLMAO at ppl tracking my StugIII and just staying in front of me, right were I needed them to be  :Smile-playing:

It's a slow and painfull dead when someone does this to you (have experienced that mostly on TD's and my M3 Lee times).  :o

I hope I could help a bit.

YusefAdama #12 Posted May 17 2011 - 17:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15764 battles
Move, if you don't the Finger of God Will Find You.
Get a good Radio, if you go off into the wilds by yourself without one we can't see you and can't possibly help,just my2c,
Bob

NargilFenris #13 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16049 battles
Advice from another real Vet. Never volunteer for anything.
So how will this translate to WOTs? If peopel are asking for volunteers to scout, let the other guy go.

Fuuro #14 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:09

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3256 battles
If you're in a fast tank, take about four seconds to ask the artillery if they're actually set up and aimed before you rush off on your suicide run.

Ashock #15 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18002 battles
Here's another advice from a vet:

Always spay and neuter your pet Leopard.

Dirg #16 Posted May 17 2011 - 18:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26194 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Never call a NCO "sir".

Never believe a local girl if she says its her first time.

When in doubt wait.

Zakume #17 Posted May 17 2011 - 19:43

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31398 battles

View PostDirg, on May 17 2011 - 18:42, said:

Never call a NCO "sir".

Never believe a local girl if she says its her first time.

When in doubt wait.

Just curious, why not?

terrantkain #18 Posted May 17 2011 - 19:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 576 battles

View PostZakume, on May 17 2011 - 19:43, said:

Just curious, why not?

Not sure which question you were asking that in reference to. If it's the first one, it's cause he's not commissioned. Call him Sarge. Or he'll kick your ass.

If you were asking in reference to the second question...well let's just say not believing her makes the test results a week or two later easier to understand.

Dirg #19 Posted May 17 2011 - 20:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26194 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostZakume, on May 17 2011 - 19:43, said:

Just curious, why not?
"Officers are "sir" and you never call an honest working man who earned his rank through sweat and dedication by the obligatory honorific required when addressing snot nosed college kids who think 3 weeks of ROTC makes them fit to lead."

It's not as bad as all that as a NCO(retired) I am required to give my ration of grief to the officer corps.

GENERAL:

Leaps tall buildings with a single bound, is more powerful than a locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, walks on water amid typhoons, gives policy to God.

COLONEL:

Leaps short buildings with a single bound, is more powerful than a switch engine, is just as fast as a speeding bullet, walks on water if sea is calm, talks to God.

LT. COLONEL:

Leaps short buildings with a running start and favorable winds, is almost as powerful as a switch engine, is faster than a speeding BB, walks on water in indoor swimming pool, talks to God if a DA-4187 request form is approved.

MAJOR:

Barely clears Quonset hut, loses tug-of-war with switch-engine, can fire a speeding bullet, swims well, is occasionally addressed by God.

CAPTAIN:

Makes high marks by trying to leap buildings, is run over by locomotive, can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self injury, doggy paddles, talks to animals.

1ST LIEUTENANT:

Runs into buildings, recognizes locomotives two out of three times, is not issued ammunition, can stay afloat if properly instructed in the Mae-West, talks to walls.

2ND LIEUTENANT:

Falls over doorstep when trying to enter buildings, says look at the Choo-Choo, wets himself, plays in mud puddles, mumbles to himself.

NCO:

Lifts tall buildings and walks under them, kicks locomotives off the tracks, catches speeding bullets in his teeth and eats them, freezes water with a single glance, HE IS GOD.

MTanker #20 Posted May 17 2011 - 20:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13697 battles
If an enemy scout makes it to your rear and spots you, MOVE!  Artillery is likely watching and will probably rain death upon you, even if the scout is killed.  Artillery can still see you for a few seconds after the scout dies, and if he sees you parked in a bush, he may well take a blind shot at you even after you disappear from his map.

I see far too many allied tanks weld themselves to a bush and refuse to move, no matter how long they've been spotted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users