Advice from the Veterans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

hellfire #21 Posted May 17 2011 - 20:41

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i downloaded the pacth but now it says Udate has been canceled and i get this messege Warning. Failed to connect to update service. for details, see Log file. and i hit play and i try to log in it says unable to connect network. i tryed to reinstall 3 times but its the same:( can any one help me out pls. worked great before the update

T_om #22 Posted May 17 2011 - 20:51

Captain

• Players
  • 15521 battles

View PostSchwarzwald, on May 17 2011 - 18:09, said:

If you're in a fast tank, take about four seconds to ask the artillery if they're actually set up and aimed before you rush off on your suicide run.

No kidding.  We do not need Kamikazes, we need spotters.  Get a good radio, make contact, and keep them lit up for us arty types.

Tom

JobuAlpha #23 Posted May 18 2011 - 03:22

Private

• Players
  • 933 battles
Just because you can't see an enemy tank, does not mean they can't see you

LMG #24 Posted May 18 2011 - 03:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2183 battles
Remember what a Claymore says:

Front Towards the Enemy
Seriously, I've seen too many tanks fighting with their sides and rear facing towards the enemy. Come on, you're wasting your frontal armor, and I seriously do not care if your side/rear armor is almost the same, ALMOST NEVER COUNTS (less if the enemy can't penetrate your front, but it can penetrate your sides or rear)! This is also the golden rule for TDs and SPGs. I can't understand why some people retreat while showing their weak rear to the enemy :facepalmic:

Rickenbacker #25 Posted May 18 2011 - 12:58

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMTanker, on May 17 2011 - 20:38, said:

If an enemy scout makes it to your rear and spots you, MOVE!  Artillery is likely watching and will probably rain death upon you, even if the scout is killed.  Artillery can still see you for a few seconds after the scout dies, and if he sees you parked in a bush, he may well take a blind shot at you even after you disappear from his map.

I see far too many allied tanks weld themselves to a bush and refuse to move, no matter how long they've been spotted.

This! I've lost count of how many times I've seen a single scout make it halfway through our flag circle, only to be obliterated by three lights (!) sitting in bushes. Three seconds later, two of they die from arty. MOVE when you're spotted, and if you don't, you have no business whining about how OP arty is :).

Armored_Ninja #26 Posted May 18 2011 - 18:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5659 battles
inside a Claymore it also says *DO NOT EAT* not that that means anything here, just always found that funny.

NargilFenris #27 Posted May 19 2011 - 15:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16049 battles
Another bit of advice from a Vet. A messy desk means you are working and busy, but a clean desk means you don't have enough to do.

ARGO #28 Posted May 19 2011 - 16:50

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10208 battles
If you can't out gun it, you better out run it.

Caution is the better part of Valor, If you see a bunch of dead tanks, theres a reason so don't stop to smell the daisies or you may end up TD or arty meat.

It takes a good Offense to get to the enemy flag, but it takes a greater defense to cap it so make sure your base is covered too..

Leave the trash talk on the basketball court and just ignor it, because by the time you finish writing your witty response you may find your self over run.

If you down to four guys and there is one enemy left and he's got 5+ kills already...DO NOT chase after this guy 1 at a time, That's a recipe for disaster, Just either attack him all at once or leave him be and cap.

If you just got popped, do your team a favor and tell them what popped you and it's location. Who knows, you still may win.

If you would not repeat it to your Grandmother, then you shouldn't say it to your team mates, Have some measure of respect.

We all have bad days, that's why we are here, to escape it. So please leave your bad day at the door.

Theodore__Eicke #29 Posted May 20 2011 - 14:03

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRickenbacker, on May 17 2011 - 13:16, said:

Advice from a vet? Eat, sleep and take a dump whenever the opportunity presents itself. You never know when you'll have the chance next. :)

Never stand when you can Sit
Never sit when you can lie down
Never lie down without sleeping

Advice I once got from a Vietnam Vet, when I enlisted. It proved to excellent advice.

NargilFenris #30 Posted May 20 2011 - 15:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16049 battles
"Ask the Chief."
Best advice ever.

cptcav #31 Posted May 20 2011 - 16:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36912 battles
  • [BREED] BREED
READ, MARK, LEARN
By LTC G. D. W. Court, M. C.

I wish to teach the simple rules
We preach in Antitank,
Although they are not often taught
In rhyming verse or blank.

The first important rule to learn.
If knowledge you desire,
Is ALWAYS hit him in the flank—
And NEVER frontal fire.

(For it is quite the usual thing
To face the way you run.
And if you shoot him in the flank
He will not see the gun.)

But shooting Jerry in the flank
Is only ONE trap laid;
To solve the school solution you
Must find some defilade—

By which I mean that you must try
To site the f**king gun
So that the tanks behind the one
You've hit, won't see the fun.

Now, if you choose to site the gun
Upon a forward slope,
You'll never live to tell the tale;
There's not the slightest hope.

For all OPs for miles around
Will spot you pretty quick—
A ranging round upon the ground
Then bags and bags of stick!

So if you'll take a tip from me
And live to fight again—
You'll bank your hopes on REAR of slopes
And save the lives of men.

Chiyeko #32 Posted May 20 2011 - 16:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4760 battles

View PostDirg, on May 17 2011 - 20:23, said:

"Officers are "sir" and you never call an honest working man who earned his rank through sweat and dedication by the obligatory honorific required when addressing snot nosed college kids who think 3 weeks of ROTC makes them fit to lead."

It's not as bad as all that as a NCO(retired) I am required to give my ration of grief to the officer corps.

GENERAL:

Leaps tall buildings with a single bound, is more powerful than a locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, walks on water amid typhoons, gives policy to God.

COLONEL:

Leaps short buildings with a single bound, is more powerful than a switch engine, is just as fast as a speeding bullet, walks on water if sea is calm, talks to God.

LT. COLONEL:

Leaps short buildings with a running start and favorable winds, is almost as powerful as a switch engine, is faster than a speeding BB, walks on water in indoor swimming pool, talks to God if a DA-4187 request form is approved.

MAJOR:

Barely clears Quonset hut, loses tug-of-war with switch-engine, can fire a speeding bullet, swims well, is occasionally addressed by God.

CAPTAIN:

Makes high marks by trying to leap buildings, is run over by locomotive, can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self injury, doggy paddles, talks to animals.

1ST LIEUTENANT:

Runs into buildings, recognizes locomotives two out of three times, is not issued ammunition, can stay afloat if properly instructed in the Mae-West, talks to walls.

2ND LIEUTENANT:

Falls over doorstep when trying to enter buildings, says look at the Choo-Choo, wets himself, plays in mud puddles, mumbles to himself.

NCO:

Lifts tall buildings and walks under them, kicks locomotives off the tracks, catches speeding bullets in his teeth and eats them, freezes water with a single glance, HE IS GOD.

This made my day, my eyes are tearing from the laughter :D

AngusMcAWESOME #33 Posted May 21 2011 - 06:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5324 battles
  • [COBT] COBT
Friendly fire - isn't.
Suppressive fires - won't.
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
when they're ready.
when you're not.
There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.
Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
Don't look conspicuous; it draws fire.
Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
If the enemy is within range, so are you.
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support.
Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out.
Tracers work both ways.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.
When in doubt, empty your magazine.
Whenever you have plenty of ammo, you never miss. Whenever you are low on ammo, you can't hit the broad side of a barn.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.
Murphy was a grunt.
Beer Math: 2 beers times 15 men equals 49 cases.
The crucial round is a dud.
Every command which can be misunderstood, will be.
Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer to do anything.
If your positions are firmly set and you are prepared to take the enemy assault on, he will bypass you.
If your ambush is properly set, the enemy won't walk into it.
If your flank march is going well, the enemy expects you to outflank him.
Density of fire increases proportionally to the curiousness of the target.
Odd objects attract fire - never lurk behind one.
No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

destructo66 #34 Posted May 21 2011 - 07:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
would seriously  advise that newcomers look at these guys stats before sucking back half the crap they feed you

NavyCuda #35 Posted May 30 2011 - 20:24

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16291 battles
  • [CGN] CGN

View Postdestructo66, on May 21 2011 - 07:00, said:

would seriously  advise that newcomers look at these guys stats before sucking back half the crap they feed you

Yep.

I don't listen to myself and I have 5000+ battles since release and only 5000 in CBT.

daVinci761st #36 Posted May 30 2011 - 22:01

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT

View Postdestructo66, on May 21 2011 - 07:00, said:

Although, it is sage advice to always check out the folks you are getting advice from, your just trolling. This coming from someone who has no stat or record of being in a battle themselves under your profile; so, I am going to assume you have another account, but for whatever reason, you either cannot or will not post under it. Interesting. Have a nice day.

Shaviv #37 Posted May 31 2011 - 14:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2155 battles

View PostDirg, on May 17 2011 - 18:42, said:

Never call a NCO "sir".
I was brought up to address people of older generations (that I didn't personally know) as "sir". Both my FIL and my wife's best friend's dad are retired NCOs. You can imagine.

NargilFenris #38 Posted May 31 2011 - 16:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16049 battles
Yeah same here, it was a real butt kicker in boot camp and I still find myself doing it from time to time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users