How to Tank: Things Beginners Need to Know!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

CaptCaveman60 #41 Posted Jun 20 2015 - 15:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 47498 battles
  • [HOOD] HOOD
this is [edited], you pay for the game and they decide who you play, how you play, and if they don't like the way you play they will take exp and gold

Ali32453 #42 Posted Jun 21 2015 - 14:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2100 battles

ok I'm not new to the game but I AM still pretty low on the totem pole as far and players go, but this is how I usually tank

I choose my tank hope the MM is friendly to me this battle, wait for the start, then I watch which way the heavies go, I DO NOT go with the heard, because that usually means a quick death because heavies cry for you to go scout, I usually try yo hide somewhere and wait for the enemy, and hope its not  better than I am, when I see the enemy, I either use ap or he depends, if its an open top I use he, if its a artillery, ,,,yea he, if its an excelsior....ap, LOTS of ap, shoot and run like hell, hide repeat

that is of course if enemy artillery doesn't hand hand bra with one shot

Parox #43 Posted Jun 24 2015 - 04:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21073 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
New map guide is out! Mountain Pass!

datoneguy_1410 #44 Posted Jun 28 2015 - 22:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 214 battles
  • [EBT] EBT

View PostHellbent82nd, on Sep 20 2014 - 03:18, said:

I can't figure out how to get into a game. I can log in but can't seem to navigate to get into a game. It's maddening. How do I simply get into a match once I've logged in? What tab gets me there?

Try to verify your account, maybe that will work

AssaultPlazma #45 Posted Jul 15 2015 - 02:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 191 battles
How are people able to check player statistics? A number of players in this thread (http://forum.worldof...98#entry9110598) were able to draw up my Stats which I dont appreciate.

Parox #46 Posted Jul 15 2015 - 04:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21073 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

View PostAssaultPlazma, on Jul 14 2015 - 20:11, said:

How are people able to check player statistics? A number of players in this thread (http://forum.worldof...98#entry9110598) were able to draw up my Stats which I dont appreciate.

You can check the stats of any other player by looking them up in game or looking at third party websites. http://wotlabs.net is the most popular

Grady330 #47 Posted Jul 15 2015 - 22:14

Private

• Players
  • 4511 battles
im not good but a casual player but would like to join a platoon to battle with the same group to hone skills. how do I join a platoon?

Parox #48 Posted Jul 15 2015 - 22:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21073 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

View PostGrady330, on Jul 15 2015 - 16:14, said:

im not good but a casual player but would like to join a platoon to battle with the same group to hone skills. how do I join a platoon?

There is a drop down menu to the right of the battle button, you can select platoon from there and then invite other players. 

NeXus_1987 #49 Posted Jul 16 2015 - 09:13

Private

• Players
  • 23 battles

Hey guys, 

can someone upload the "text" folder on the update 9.9 ? 

I have a russian client on RU server and i can't seem to find new text in EN for 9.9

Thanks in Advance

Parox #50 Posted Jul 16 2015 - 19:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21073 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
I added a new section under my map guides videos.  These new strategy videos will take you through what my thought process was during the battle, and at the end of the replay I will highlight the main strategies/tactics that were demonstrated in the replay. Hope you guys learn a thing or two and enjoy! 

PoIand #51 Posted Aug 22 2015 - 07:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 894 battles
  • [EMIYA] EMIYA
Good Job on the videos Parox!

TwoSpiders #52 Posted Aug 27 2015 - 00:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 19370 battles
  • [C_D] C_D
I cannot tell you how many HOW TO ADVICE COLUMNS, VIDEOS, and IN-GAME Chatter I have listened to or watched and really NOTHING HELPS. I have played MAP after MAP in various modes from aggressive to laid back. The SIMPLE truth about WOT is you can play 1930's technology against 1960's Technology. The 1930's will lose 9 out of 10 times. The game MECHANICS are really a MINUS overall. I will give an example of this, If you succeed in tracking an enemy tank that you cannot PEN with your tiny caliber gun, and you keep said tank tracked nearly all game, once it is able to shoot you, you are dead and get a big fat 0 points. Meanwhile they enemy tank gets FULL Credit and points for your death. WOT believes some fairy tale adventure about someone coming to HELP you in a PUBS MATCH. This again is a MINUS in MECHANICS. Match Making games has been a sole PROBLEM in WOT since day 1. It really shouldn't be that a 1940's tank in a PUBS match should ever see a 1950's tank. But it happens nearly every time. I have played this game for years. I have a 49% HARD FOUGHT Win Rate. I have tried for 2 straight years to get to 50%, my personal goal. I never get higher than 49.50% before I get slammed in every game I play. I am currently on a 3 day NO WIN STREAK. I have tried everything. Switching tanks, Servers, times... I cannot break this losing streak. And I continually find myself against TOP TIER tanks that I cannot PEN. I fired 32 rounds my last game. I had 27 Hits and 10 PENS. UNREAL! I am GLAD  no one ever reads these columns.

Kerosedge #53 Posted Aug 27 2015 - 07:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15270 battles
  • [HCK] HCK
^
It's nothing to do with the tanks. Its the matchmaker. Paring 60%ers and Unis aginst a bunch of 40%ers and throwing 2-3 48-51%ers in the meat grinder to even it out
Even with your man pants on you can only do so much, out flanked and surrounded beacuse your whole team died in the first 3min. "Git Gud" can't cut it when your trying to carry a whole team.
When the online talking heads say "Guys failed their way to T10."
They ain't kidding.

BaD_cOmPaNy_37 #54 Posted Aug 29 2015 - 04:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9671 battles
This game is [edited]retarded now....  Just [edited]retarded.  Regret the first day I started playing this crap.  [edited]YOU WG and the Mule you rode in on...  

osopardo1111 #55 Posted Sep 14 2015 - 12:04

Private

• -Players-
  • 16656 battles
I enjoyed the video collection you posted on platooning, ammo and tactics. The first two had a number of things i did not know about the game. The third piece was ok for basics but needs to address a couple of issues, like trailing directly behind another tank with enough distance behind to allow him to back up and cutting off to one side to get a shot, there is not something on crawling which is advancing at the lowest gear. I don't know if you use mods but a discussion of their use and the pros and cons of their usage.

Trakks #56 Posted Sep 20 2015 - 05:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 2395 battles
Lesson one. Don't fire while you're still in the spawn. You could injure or kill a teammate which could change the outcome of the game. Lesson two. Don't drive like it's a demolition derby. Spinning your teammates around or forcing them to stop or swerve might seem like fun, but in this game establishing a good position on the map quickly could mean the difference between winning and losing. Causing a traffic jam could cause a fatal delay in your team reaching the strongpoints on the map allowing the enemy to get them and pick you off at their leisure from safety. 

Son_of_the_South #57 Posted Sep 27 2015 - 22:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7436 battles
  • [PJ] PJ

Angles don't work.  The tutorial videos lie. I have tried many times to use angles and I always get nailed in 1 to 3 shots no matter what tank I am in. I try to hit people from behind and perpendicular and I don't get the same result. When I do hit, I do 50 damage.  They do 100's.

The tutorials and advice are worthless.

jerry813 #58 Posted Oct 02 2015 - 16:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57245 battles
  • [BSHRC] BSHRC

View PostParox, on Aug 18 2014 - 23:27, said:

What you are referring to as "cloaking" is the spotting mechanics at work. I'll be sure to explain this in a later video more in depth. But basically, while you will always know where your team mates are (unless they are out of your signal range) you will not know where the enemy is unless you or someone else on your team spotted them. This works the same way for the enemy team, they can't see your team, but can still see each other.  Hope this helps!

not really always true. it all play out by the game dice. If u are selected in a lossing side, the game will light u up to enemy tanks to shoot even u stay far behind u team members and enemies.there is A spotting mechanics but still be controlled by the game. The win side tanks can be more easier to spot the enemy tanks than the other side. U will know it after the game start and u team play out when what u can see are all u team members u know u are on lossing side.

jerry813 #59 Posted Oct 02 2015 - 16:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57245 battles
  • [BSHRC] BSHRC

View PostSon_of_the_South, on Sep 27 2015 - 22:14, said:

Angles don't work.  The tutorial videos lie. I have tried many times to use angles and I always get nailed in 1 to 3 shots no matter what tank I am in. I try to hit people from behind and perpendicular and I don't get the same result. When I do hit, I do 50 damage.  They do 100's.

The tutorials and advice are worthless.

What u need is a premium account. I think u know what i mean. 

ClockworkCannon #60 Posted Oct 05 2015 - 20:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 9529 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

Thanks for the info Parox.

As for angling, it does take some practice...I suggest training room with friends. If there are certain tanks you have trouble fighting or playing, choose the tank you want to practice and have friends with the tanks you want to fight against. Just be sure to know you may lose credits in training room.

I am not completely new but I am still learning. Sometimes I do well...but I need a lot of practice. Also training rooms do not replicate actual battles since the maps vary, the allies and enemies vary. It's like hitting golf balls at the driving range, and then going to play a round of golf. The skills you use on the driving range are useful but it's almost completely different when you actually play 18 holes of golf.

With enough practice you can learn the right way to angle a particular tank. Obviously heavily armored tanks tend to do better in this category. KV-1 comes to mind as a good heavy tank at Tier 5 to utilize armor and angling. I managed to sidescrape my KV-1S on Karelia well enough to withstand half the enemy team once, which allowed my team to win on the other flank. 

Tutorials and advice can only go so far. Actually playing and trying to use good information is what will make you play better. Unfortunately, nothing can be done for RNG or the matchmaking but you just have to accept that and play as well as you can and go onto the next match.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users