Tank Troubles

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Dudodian #1 Posted May 17 2011 - 23:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1553 battles
So yeah, the title says it all. I really don't get what's going on with my tank. I can't seem to do much with my M3 Lee. It's when I go to shoot someone at close range (By the way, my aim is very accurate), I can't seem to hit them! Do you think it's just my aim that's gone wrong? Or maybe this tank doesn't fit me?

_Dia_ #2 Posted May 17 2011 - 23:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32140 battles
Everybody says the M3 Lee is bad, bad armor, no turret, and it has the same gun as the Sherman. Don't worry though, it gives you a taste of what American TD's will be like.

Dudodian #3 Posted May 17 2011 - 23:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1553 battles
Hey, thanks for the help. I just want to get on to the T1 Heavy and beyond, but I don't think the M3 Lee sucks. It works great with shooting, but maybe it kinda is that problem. Maybe it's just because it really has no kind of turret. And yeah, the bad armor explains why I keep getting killed easiliy, even by some of the lightest tanks in some games. Thanks for the advice.

Maiyart #4 Posted May 17 2011 - 23:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11982 battles
You have to play the M3 Lee as a Tank Destroyer and not a Tank, which means you should be staying away from the front line and:

a)finding somewhere to hide to shoot from a distance or
b)always keep behind the bigger tanks and back them up.

Never go out in front as you will die in the first minute.

Filbee786 #5 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:36

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Hi there ,, I went through using M3 lee grant as well ,,found its best to go "sniper mode" with this tank ,,,  and not infront of your own forces !!!  stay behind ,, maybe on a flank ( depends on terrain!!) ,, let Enemy take on your freindly tanks ,whilst you shoot that enemy from a "safe spot" ,,at least that way you wont be dieing too much !!  But you'll also still be helping other team m8's out by what I call "support shooting" !!.. Either way the "Lee" aint an Up close fighter !!!  

Hope this helps    :Smile_honoring:

Filbee786 #6 Posted May 18 2011 - 15:37

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMaiyart, on May 17 2011 - 23:52, said:

You have to play the M3 Lee as a Tank Destroyer and not a Tank, which means you should be staying away from the front line and:

a)finding somewhere to hide to shoot from a distance or
b)always keep behind the bigger tanks and back them up.

Never go out in front as you will die in the first minute.

Oops should've read this beofe posting ,, ,lol  :blink::unsure:<_<

SteelBurn #7 Posted May 18 2011 - 17:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17652 battles
  • [BB_GC] BB_GC
Remember also you can hit X to lock the hull. The Lee doesn't have much gun traverse and when the hull moves the gun really gets inaccurate.

SHISHKABOB #8 Posted May 18 2011 - 18:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8799 battles
Treat your tank like an antique porcelain teacup, don't treat it like a tank. It can't take hits, if you take a hit you will die, so don't take hits. Of course you are going to take hits, but that's not the concern here. The concern is that if you go running around thinking "I'm gonna die so let's die!" You are not going to do as well if you approach the battle with a more conservative plan. With the M3 Lee especially you should, as people in this thread have said, hide a lot! Don't be the tank out in the open! Stick behind your allies!

Also another thing you should be aware of is the many different random variables that are taken into account when you are shooting  your gun at an enemy. First: do you even hit? You have a chance to hit anywhere in that green circle, with chances increasing towards the center, less likely to hit on the outer parts of the circle, and a very small chance to shoot completely out of there.

Second: do you penetrate? The value you see for your gun's penetration is actually the average penetration value, your actual penetration value per shot varies between plus or minus 25% of that value. Also an important thing to take note of here is angling. Angling is a magical thing where you can make a gun bounce right off of your tank. Basically, when you shoot at a flat surface from an angle, there is more stuff for the shell to travel through. Here is an activity for you: draw two parallel lines on a piece of paper with a bit of space between them, then draw a line that goes right through that space and is perpendicular to both of the parallel lines. Now, take a line that starts at the same spot as that first line, but send it off at an angle towards the other parallel line. This is basically what your shell is doing when you hit an enemy tank at an angle. If you were to extend both of those lines outwards from their starting point you'd see where the "shell" was fired from. Once you master the art of angling your tank you will drastically increase your survival rating. On some tanks there are parts that are even sloped for you already, like on the Panther or the IS-7. Another point that relates to accuracy: if you look at a tank like the KV from a head-on angle, you will see that the hull of the tank is actually not that thick. When you shoot at it with a gun which has a dispersion circle that is wider than the thickness of the KV's hull, then your shot might actually go over the front of the tank and hit its roof! When your shell hits the armor of any tank at a very oblique angle, which just means the shell comes in nearly parallel to the armor, then your shell will automatically bounce. This is a very useful bit of knowledge that has caused me to deflect IS-3 shells in my PzIV by driving slightly not head-on. The enemy tank tries to shoot at my side, or something, but since the angle of impact is so huge, the shell simply slips right off of my armor.

So yeah, penetration is tough, but just try and hit enemies on their flat bits and at perpendicular angles and you'll do better. And of course try and hit their sides or rears more often than their fronts because their fronts are more well-armored.

Third: how much damage do you do? Again, the value you see for damage is an average value and it can go up and down past that number randomly. Generally this isn't much of a problem because unless you're doing piddly damage to start with, it's not going to get that bad. With the random variation in penetration you can have a chance to fail to penetrate even when your average penetration outweighs the armor of the target.

There's a lot of stuff to worry about with shooting tanks, but I think that the format that WoT uses makes it easy to become well-acquainted with it. Personally it's almost become second nature for me, at least when I'm playing. And again, my maxim as always: treat your tank like a porcelain teacup!

Dudodian #9 Posted May 19 2011 - 02:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1553 battles
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I really actually got 10,000 credits in one battle thanks to this! I got plenty of kills defending the base. Thansk again! I'm looking for even more suggestions just in case I might want to improve performance. I will definatley keep this M3 Lee because it's the last medium tank in that line I'm going in. So yeah, thanks again.

Kritdonkulus #10 Posted May 21 2011 - 02:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE

View PostDudodian, on May 19 2011 - 02:39, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I really actually got 10,000 credits in one battle thanks to this! I got plenty of kills defending the base. Thansk again! I'm looking for even more suggestions just in case I might want to improve performance. I will definatley keep this M3 Lee because it's the last medium tank in that line I'm going in. So yeah, thanks again.

The M3 Lee is a kick in the butt training wheel that teaches you what it's like to play the american heavy line....paper thin hulls. As you've learned, find a good spot and rock and roll. This holds true for the entire american heavy line, no exceptions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users