Captain

• Players
  • 14296 battles

View PostChepicoro, on Apr 28 2015 - 13:46, said:

- testimonies form veterans... nope

- advertisements from before the war... nope

- professional historians... nope

- the company itself... nope

-I see no testimonies. I only ever see authors repeat the "fact" without a second thought. I've never seen an interview with a veteran who once said that he or anyone he personally knew, called them a "Ronson"

-This does not prove that there was a widespread usage of the term worthy of note. Just that there were advertisements saying that a Ronson lighter lights every time.

-Professional historians (or ghost-writers) who are again, not sourcing anything other than the previous dubiously-sourced claim.

-Again, it's all based on a hearsay or unquestioned, unverified source. I can say anything about my family history if it makes me look cool. Should you accept any lie about my family history just because it's my family?

The question is why are you holding on to this so much? Why has such a dubious fact taken such a hold of you that you will accept it as gospel?

EnsignExpendable #162 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 20:45

Major

• Players
  • 23745 battles
  • [SGLE] SGLE

View PostChepicoro, on Apr 28 2015 - 13:19, said:

Are you serious?? You honestly can not read in the middle of the page "A Ronson Lights every time". 

http://ecx.images-am...0L._SL1142_.jpg

Words you don't know the definition of: primary, period, source, slogan

Professional historians, you say? Guess what? Any writing is as good as its source. When a bunch of tabloid hacks copy-paste the same tired old myth into their pulp that's not evidence of anything. What is their citation for their claim? Is there even a list of citations in the books you read?

Donward #163 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 40108 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View PostChepicoro, on Apr 28 2015 - 10:19, said:

Are you serious?? You honestly can not read in the middle of the page "A Ronson Lights every time". 

http://ecx.images-am...0L._SL1142_.jpg

Are you really that ignorant or are you an English as a Second Language speaker? Seriously? I am genuinely curious. Because obviously you come from some place that doesn't have access to mass marketing advertisements whether it be print, radio or television ads.

Let me explain to you as if you were someone who is unfamiliar with American pop culture and knows nothing about the concept of advertising. Companies spend millions (and now billions) of dollars to come up with catchy jingles, hooks or slogans in order to gain brand attention. Consumers then associate that jingle, hook or slogan with the brand which in turn creates a greater incentive to buy that product. Once a company hits upon a successful marketing slogan, they will use it literally EVERYWHERE, on clothing, knickknacks, billboards, radio and television ads, magazine and newspaper print ads, guys holding signs, airplanes towing banners and pretty much anything that you can slap that slogan on.

Here are some examples since you have obviously staggered in out of a Brazilian rainforest.

Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Like a Rock

Have it Your Way

I'm A Pepper

Just Do It

You Got the Right One, Baby

Fifteen Minutes Can Save You Money

AFLAC!!!

That's A Spicy Meatball

The Best Part of Waking Up (Is Folgers In You Cup)

This Bud's For You

I'd Walk A Mile For a Camel

FahrvergnugenI

Where's The Beef?

Pizza, Pizza

I Want My MTV

Take any one of those slogans, type it into the Google machine, click image results and you will find dozens, hundreds and thousands of ads featuring them.

Now let's take a look at that Ronson advertisement. It is what we like to call a testimonial describing the benefits of the product. It will have a lot of words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs describing the benefits of the product sold. In it, you correctly noted that it mentions lighting first, etc. And this is the only advertisement from Ronson where that is featured prominently.

Now I will provide a link to a common Google search that anyone can do with the keywords "Ronson ads". Hundreds of early Ronson print advertisements are shown. I have browsed through them all. The instances of Ronsons lighting first and having those words feature prominently is just ONCE in that 1929 ad that you consistently link to thinking (wrongly) that it is evidence. There are a handful of other instances where the testimonial about it lighting first is mentioned in smaller print. Do you know the phrase that is almost ALWAYS mentioned? That's right!

RONSON The World's Greatest Lighter.

Over and Over and Over and Over again.

If the slogan was Ronson: Lights First Every Time then why is it NEVER used save the one variation in ONE 1929 print ad? I will remind you that print advertising before World War 2 was the most financially lucrative way of selling product, to the point that newspaper tycoons like William Randolph Hearst made billions of dollars off of selling advertisements in his newspapers. And yet today we have people like Walter and myself looking through hundreds and hundreds of print ads from the period and we can't find any mention of Ronson being associated with the phrase of "Lights the First Time, Every Time".

Now that you have been thoroughly debunked and shown to be the troll that you are once again, go away. Go back to General Discussion and annoy people about Arty in the game.

Edited by Donward, Apr 28 2015 - 20:59.

brawler1967 #164 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:02

Captain

• Players
  • 9872 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostDonward, on Sep 03 2014 - 22:22, said:

You are wrang.

Panthers were Labled Ronsons. Read the book "Death Panzer Traps" by Hauptmann Belton Von Cooper die Schleisswigg und Schnitzel and you'll learn how the Panthers were rushed into the battle when what German tanker aces really needed were the superior and sensible Maus. But because of the aftermath of the 30 Years War, Protestant Prussian officers didn't want to use the superior Maus which was designed by a Catholic Bavarian.

Seriously? A Maus a superior land Tank. That would have been so slow my dead grandmother could snuck up on it and stuck 200lbs of explosives and blown it to kingdom come before anyone knew it happened. The Maus would have been a epic failure.

WulfeHound #165 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:10

Major

• Players
  • 12888 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postbrawler1967, on Apr 28 2015 - 15:02, said:

Seriously? A Maus a superior land Tank. That would have been so slow my dead grandmother could snuck up on it and stuck 200lbs of explosives and blown it to kingdom come before anyone knew it happened. The Maus would have been a epic failure.

There's a chance that Donward was probably being sarcastic in that post

balmung60 #166 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 5668 battles
  • [401ST] 401ST

View Postbrawler1967, on Apr 28 2015 - 14:02, said:

The joke

P-47s pwning Fascist box-canopy fighters

Your head

Donward #167 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 40108 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View Postbrawler1967, on Apr 28 2015 - 12:02, said:

I stand by every word that I wrote in that paragraph. Furthermore, from here on out, what I wrote is to be considered a primary source document.

I would like to compliment you profusely on your reading comprehension. It is always pleasant to meet someone who gets to make decisions about candidates in elections and whose right to vote is not only sacrosanct but it also offsets my ballot choices. You sir are the person this country and this world needs to lead humanity into the 21st Century and beyond. 

Edited by Donward, Apr 28 2015 - 21:16.

Tied #168 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:19

Major

• Players
  • 5027 battles
T-34 was the best tank of the war.

Donward #169 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:25

Major

• Players
  • 40108 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View PostTied, on Apr 28 2015 - 12:19, said:

T-34 was the best tank of the war.

NYET!!!1!!11!!

SOVIET RUSSIA NEEDED TO BUILD NOTHING BUT BT-7 TANKS WITH ROAD WHEELS. WHY YOU ASK! I WILL OF THE TELLING. THE PLAN. SEND CONSCRIPT GULAG PRISONERS TO OPEN GAP IN MIDDLE OF EASTERN FRONT WITH STRONK HUMAN WAVE TACTICS. tHEN! SEND MASSIVE WAVE OF BT-7S WITH ROAD WHEELS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THIS OPENING, DRIVING 100 MPH STRAIGHT TO BERLIN, BYPASSING ALL GERMAN RESISTANCE AND USING THE AUDUBONS TO DRIVE ON. tHEY ROLL INTO BERLIN in 10 hours, CAPTURE THE REICHSTAG BY 1942, SHOOT HITLER AND EVERYONE ELSE. rAISE sOVIET COMMUNIST FLAB OVER REICHSTAG. WAR IS OVER IF YOU WANT IT!!!

Edited by Donward, Apr 28 2015 - 21:30.

Tied #170 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 21:51

Major

• Players
  • 5027 battles

Muh T-34

Muh Kv-1

Muh Slavsteel

Muh Kdr

T-64 best tank of all years 

xthetenth #171 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 22:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14633 battles
  • [SEAMN] SEAMN

Muh gullible American audience

Muh Icebreaker

balmung60 #172 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 22:30

Major

• Players
  • 5668 battles
  • [401ST] 401ST

View PostDonward, on Apr 28 2015 - 14:25, said:

rAISE sOVIET COMMUNIST FLAB OVER REICHSTAG.

Now I can only imagine Tied taped to a flagpole on the Reichstag, shouting the praises of the Soviet Union every hour, on the hour.

Chepicoro #173 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20515 battles

since you have no arguments or sources or anything I left you to enjoy your babbling.

SergeantMatt #174 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:41

Major

• Players
  • 18576 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View PostChepicoro, on Apr 28 2015 - 17:21, said:

since you have no arguments or sources or anything I left you to enjoy your babbling.

Haha, the lack of self-awareness is astounding. Provide one, single, actual period source documenting US soldiers referring to a Sherman as a Ronson during WWII and you win.

Edited by SergeantMatt, Apr 28 2015 - 23:41.

Tied #175 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:49

Major

• Players
  • 5027 battles

View Postbalmung60, on Apr 29 2015 - 00:30, said:

Now I can only imagine Tied taped to a flagpole on the Reichstag, shouting the praises of the Soviet Union every hour, on the hour.

I would like to see those scrawny germany pansys try to stop me! 

I would break them in half!! 

Life_In_Black #176 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:51

Major

• Players
  • 24488 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostTied, on Apr 28 2015 - 18:49, said:

I would like to see those scrawny germany pansys try to stop me! 

I would break them in half!! 

What if they brought you cheeseburgers?

Tied #177 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:53

Major

• Players
  • 5027 battles

Then we could start negotiates:great: 

Enough Cheeseburgers and German Beer for a world of tanks triple XP weekend, plus my own NVA T-72 and i will never step food in the MerkelReich again 

Edited by Tied, Apr 28 2015 - 23:53.

Donward #178 Posted Apr 28 2015 - 23:58

Major

• Players
  • 40108 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View PostChepicoro, on Apr 28 2015 - 14:21, said:

Wrong. Ronson. World's Greatest Lighter.

So I just linked about 40 different period Ronson ads which were published before, during and after World War Two. And I can go on and on and on and link hundreds more if I so choose. ALL of them tout Ronson and their TRADEMARKED slogan "Ronson. World's Greatest Lighter". What is fascinating is that NONE of them feature the phrase "Light's the First Time, Every Time" or any variation thereof except for one that mentions it briefly in the small text. And these aren't po-dunk publications either, with many of them appearing in LIFE Magazine. If Ronson's slogan really was "Light's The First Time, Every Time" then WHY, WHY, WHY are they not publishing that slogan when they are paying for ad spots in the most popular magazines in the country?

I'm thinking someone needs to trademark the term Luigi. World's Greatest Liar. Because your insistence on spreading false information in the light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary is getting downright clinical.

Edited by Donward, Apr 29 2015 - 00:04.

Tied #179 Posted Apr 29 2015 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 5027 battles
Donward, best effortpost of all years 

Donward #180 Posted Apr 29 2015 - 00:37

Major

• Players
  • 40108 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO

View PostTied, on Apr 28 2015 - 15:12, said:

Donward, best effortpost of all years 

Thanks man.

You know. I'm starting to have the sneaking suspicion that the so-called slogan of Ronson "Lights Every Time" or "Lights First Time, Every Time" is a myth since I cannot find any advertisement or period usage of that term anywhere. Short of that one singular 1929 advertisement.

It just doesn't exist.

Edited by Donward, Apr 29 2015 - 00:37.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users