Why do tanks 'engage gear" when I shoot?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

VonHenry #1 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:02

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1111 battles
So - I'm very frustrated with this game, to the point I wont spend another cent, and will probably un-install (I know, no big loss to the community).  But really, I get every game mechanic but ONE.

When I am halted (Space Bar) and zoom in to shoot....then shoot...then my tank engages full forward speed?!?!?!??
This is not recoil.  This does not happen 100% of the time, just often enough to really tick me off. I get recoil, I do NOT get this.

Bug or stupid game mechanic?  If former I can wait for fix. If latter, off to a new game.  :huh:

Strife1ONE1 #2 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:09

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5098 battles
stop using space. it is meant for shoot and scoot. tap the S key to slow down/stop

VVest #3 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 14 battles
Do you use auto-move? I use to have that problem until I realized I was on auto move the whole time. Even when you hold the space bar it's still on auto move once you let go.

kodern #4 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6756 battles

View PostVVest, on May 19 2011 - 12:12, said:

Do you use auto-move? I use to have that problem until I realized I was on auto move the whole time. Even when you hold the space bar it's still on auto move once you let go.

He's right.

DokterBeefcake #5 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 15133 battles
W
A S D

Use it.

_Grunt_ #6 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:43

Private

• Players
  • 426 battles
Yup. Use WASD keys instead of R and F.

Never use Space. I usually just let go of W and it'll stop, then I can shoot with Left Click.

stickjock #7 Posted May 19 2011 - 12:57

Major

• Players
  • 5345 battles
  • [USBOT] USBOT

View PostVonHenry, on May 19 2011 - 12:02, said:

So - I'm very frustrated with this game, to the point I wont spend another cent, and will probably un-install (I know, no big loss to the community).  But really, I get every game mechanic but ONE.

When I am halted (Space Bar) and zoom in to shoot....then shoot...then my tank engages full forward speed?!?!?!??
This is not recoil.  This does not happen 100% of the time, just often enough to really tick me off. I get recoil, I do NOT get this.

Bug or stupid game mechanic?  If former I can wait for fix. If latter, off to a new game.  :huh:

As the above posters have said... you must be using R for auto-movement and stearing with just the A and D keys??  Anywho, using your automove hase good advantages now and then as I believe it enables 3 speeds of movement (slow, medium, full), good for matching speed with your team heavies instead of charging way out in front of them...

And, as has been said and you've experienced... hitting that space bar does indeed stop you, but only until after you fire... once that's done, the automove takes over again and off you go.

Honestly, think I've only ever used R a few times... open ground or flanking with a few team mates around... but 99.9% I'm using the WSAD keys... I'd rather be in complete control than relying on a "cruise control"... lol...

Anywho, not really a bug or a "stupid" game mechanic... post below yours gives a good example... shoot and scooting... Say you're charging an enemy positon using the R key... hit space, you stop line a shot up and fire then auto move right away... rinse and repeat as long as you can or until you make it to where you're going...

VonHenry #8 Posted May 19 2011 - 13:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1111 battles

View Poststickjock, on May 19 2011 - 12:57, said:

As the above posters have said... you must be using R for auto-movement and stearing with just the A and D keys??  Anywho, using your automove hase good advantages now and then as I believe it enables 3 speeds of movement (slow, medium, full), good for matching speed with your team heavies instead of charging way out in front of them...

And, as has been said and you've experienced... hitting that space bar does indeed stop you, but only until after you fire... once that's done, the automove takes over again and off you go.

Honestly, think I've only ever used R a few times... open ground or flanking with a few team mates around... but 99.9% I'm using the WSAD keys... I'd rather be in complete control than relying on a "cruise control"... lol...

Anywho, not really a bug or a "stupid" game mechanic... post below yours gives a good example... shoot and scooting... Say you're charging an enemy positon using the R key... hit space, you stop line a shot up and fire then auto move right away... rinse and repeat as long as you can or until you make it to where you're going...

Thanks stick jock, and others. I do in fact use R/F, and that is obviously what is happening. That said, I disagree with it being a good mechanic. I think Space should be stop, period. Like everyone said, we can use W if we really want to move right away again. Shoot/scoot is just as easy manually.    Oh well, can't have it all, I'll just stop using R/F.

Tellings #9 Posted May 19 2011 - 14:10

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 14508 battles
I use R/F and WASD depending on where I am and what I'm doing. If I'm cruising along on R/F and spot a target a quick tap of the S key brings me to a halt.

Clockworkred #10 Posted May 19 2011 - 16:09

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16726 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS

View PostVonHenry, on May 19 2011 - 13:37, said:

Thanks stick jock, and others. I do in fact use R/F, and that is obviously what is happening. That said, I disagree with it being a good mechanic. I think Space should be stop, period. Like everyone said, we can use W if we really want to move right away again. Shoot/scoot is just as easy manually.    Oh well, can't have it all, I'll just stop using R/F.

you can cancel the r/f movement when stopped by pressing W/S at any time.

Shooting and scooting can be a valid tactic when you're in the open and you need to get to cover fast, and zooming away as soon as you take a shot can make you less of a target for snipers and arty.

MTanker #11 Posted May 20 2011 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13697 battles

View PostVonHenry, on May 19 2011 - 13:37, said:

Thanks stick jock, and others. I do in fact use R/F, and that is obviously what is happening. That said, I disagree with it being a good mechanic. I think Space should be stop, period.

Not if you want to move out ASAP after shooting, for example, if you're in an SU-14.  Space lets you gun it that much faster to avoid the counterbattery.

We had something on the M1A1 that allowed you to run the throttle up at higher RPMs so that you could take off like a bat out of hell once you released the brakes.  :Smile-playing:

sampak #12 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:23

Captain

• Players
  • 12583 battles
  • [DTD] DTD

View PostVonHenry, on May 19 2011 - 12:02, said:

Honestly, if you read the instructions, and KNOW that WASD is also used for moving your tank, I don't see how you're complaining about the "CRUISE CONTROL" function, which is CRUISE CONTROL. The space bar is to stop to shoot, so no surprise, after you stopped, shoot, it continues to CRUISE forward again. If it's that much a problem, use the F key to bring your tank's CRUISE CONTROL to a stop after you hit space to stop for a shot, or press the S key or W key once, to stop CRUISE control and go back to manual throttle. It's really not that big of a deal man, if you spend a couple seconds to learn the other key. It's a NON-issue. :)

If you think this little feature is that big a deal to stop playing the game, then I can only imagine how you handle any of the other valid glitches/bugs hundreds of other players have been complaining about, like the clunky visibility system for one...

stickjock #13 Posted May 20 2011 - 20:36

Major

• Players
  • 5345 battles
  • [USBOT] USBOT

View PostMTanker, on May 20 2011 - 18:25, said:

Not if you want to move out ASAP after shooting, for example, if you're in an SU-14.  Space lets you gun it that much faster to avoid the counterbattery.

We had something on the M1A1 that allowed you to run the throttle up at higher RPMs so that you could take off like a bat out of hell once you released the brakes.  :Smile-playing:
We did??  And what was this??

sampak #14 Posted May 20 2011 - 20:39

Captain

• Players
  • 12583 battles
  • [DTD] DTD

View Poststickjock, on May 20 2011 - 20:36, said:

We did??  And what was this??

High-stall torque converter? Haha. I wonder..

RA6E_ #15 Posted May 20 2011 - 21:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17416 battles
The spacebar is functioning as intended..It will do that even if you are using the WASD keys if you tap the space bar while forward engaging the W or S. it is doing what is intended.....Shoot & Scoot! It disables forward or reverse until cannon is fired and then re-engages drive...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users