how many thinking of quitting?

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

jkk101 #1 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 03:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13891 battles

So last couple of days been seeing players post that they are quitting. I was wondering how many have been thinking of or been close to quitting? I know the game is tough when you first start and it takes a long time to get better and I was wondering how many new players are being lost. I believe a lot are leaving due to the 2 tier spread and poor MM I.E putting 50% WR players on one team and 40% WR players on the other. I would like to see just how many are leaving WG has to know not that we will get the true numbers here because most new players probably don't even come on the forums. 

albee3 #2 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9413 battles

For almost my entire career, I thought about quitting.  In fact... I *DID* quit, for three months.  And guess where I was that entire time?  Tiers 2 thru 4.  Guess where I am now?  Tier 5.  And guess what my attitude is?  I love this game, no way I'm quitting now!!

DoniL73 #3 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:04

Captain

• Players
  • 40721 battles
i quit every Friday, and start again every monday, its a weekly quit thing for me

skullz2001 #4 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
The weekends seem to be the worst time to play and some of your teams are so unpredictable, it is like a bunch of hyper gerbils running around on the battlefield.  No strategy or anything, just random mass slaughter that you have no control over win or loss...

Bryden38 #5 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14129 battles
Thinking of taking a fairy long break. The game is getting a bit tiring and boring, especially with little new content recently.

skidsteer5 #6 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8500 battles
Have considered it many times.Lost a sure win today in assault. We were defending and had 6 to 2. Some ahole glory hounds refused to go to defend the base when one red caped and no matter how hard some of us players begged, Seen just too much of that. Players who only play for them self. 

Ndtm #7 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:16

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles
i don't really have a "bored of this game i should quit" thing, thought i do take breaks but not any planned breaks, it's like i unconsciously play fewer and fewer games and then i don't have the motivation to start the game for awhile until for example a interesting mission pops up like the Medium mission to get the Type 62

Dust_ #8 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:17

Major

• Players
  • 15243 battles
I am. My life is so much more productive without this.

Rosha_ #9 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13129 battles
I believe many new players leave because of frustration in learning while being matched with seal clubbers.   My friend for example, who I got to open an account also got xvm  on my advice.  In her 3rd battle there were 8 seal clubbers who had between 6-23K games each..  They had a lot of fun, but not the new players who died in the first 3 minutes!     I would like to say that these seal clubbers were all tomatoes trying to stat pad, but I can't as there were blues and greens there as well.   Now if you try a new game and don't have fun,  you just quit and go look for another game you can have fun with playing and even paying.   Now my friend didn't quit because she got killed a lot(I had told her that would happen a lot), No, she quit because of unfair matches.  Tier 1 only plays tier 1 for the first 125-135 matches after that they sometimes get dropped into some tier 2 matches.  Apparently the original idea was to learn to use the tank without drowning etc, Then they were suppose to get some tier 2 games to learn from slightly more experienced players.  Instead they are facing seal clubbers with multiple K matches  with fully loaded tanks and multiple perk crews.  The only reason I think more don't quit is they don't yet have xvm to know how rigged are the matches. 

Driftin #10 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:32

Major

• Players
  • 27430 battles
  • [X-MEN] X-MEN
It's not just new players quitting. I had several guys I had played with for over 3 years. All but one has quit this summer. I'm not far from quitting either. I want a fair game and I don't believe this one is anymore. That is why they all quit.

skullz2001 #11 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostDriftin, on Sep 15 2014 - 05:32, said:

It's not just new players quitting. I had several guys I had played with for over 3 years. All but one has quit this summer. I'm not far from quitting either. I want a fair game and I don't believe this one is anymore. That is why they all quit.

Ever since they introduced prem ammo for credits the game did become slightly less enjoyable.

albee3 #12 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9413 battles

View Postskullz2001, on Sep 15 2014 - 05:41, said:

Ever since they introduced prem ammo for credits the game did become slightly less enjoyable.

On the one hand, I can honestly thank WG for doing that.  When I'm in the B1 Tier 4 French heavy with a miserable Tier 3 gun as the best option, I can actually pen an enemy tank as long as I'm willing to suffer the cost of some premium.  If that cost was in gold?  No way.

On the other hand, I can honestly curse WN8 for this absurd behavior of using premium ammo far more than the situations should dictate just so shots pen and they get their damage in.

If only there was a way to bring the two hands together in a friendly handshake... alas.

MichiganMike #13 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 04:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35743 battles

Everyone gets to this point. WoT is good at putting the new player on the tread mill, running after the next, better, more powerful, tank. Eventually we all wonder if it is worth it. I believe WoT is a dead end. In team chat during a game, a guy on my team said this was his first game back, after being away for a year. His comment: "Now I remember why I quit playing."

I began playing this game in April, 2013 after knee surgery kept me home from work. My first mistake was racing up the tiers as fast as I could - without learning the basics of the game - mechanics, strategy, maps, etc. As a result a earned a poor set of stats - about a 46% win rate over all.

This continued until about three months ago. I made a few changes. First, I began playing spgs and found I have a talent for the things. Second, I began learning some of the fundamentals of the game. And I have started over with some tier 3 and 4 tanks and practiced my skills there. The result is that I have a 50-60% win rate in these low tier tanks. And I am enjoying playing arty.

But, YES, I think almost daily about quitting. Why? I have come to the conclusion that WoT is a dead end. They advertize online that one can pay for free. Yet, the depend upon WoT to generate a revenue stream so the owners can make a profit and continue to develop the game. The two claims conflict.

This conflict creates a game filled with compromises. Perhaps the most profound is MM. It appears designed to keep a skilled player from truly excelling. Instead, it appears to push most players into a narrow statistical norm (45-55% win rate) that is very difficult to escape.

MM also creates lopsided, run away wins or defeats. Skill and effort seem to have no effect on the outcome. After 2 or 3 of these abominations and I quit and go work in my shop.

RNG is another factor that is dead ending the game imo. I can take the same machine (let's say my M44) into one battle. Same day, same time, same me, same machine. Yet, in one game The rounds coming out of the tube are on target, I do damage. I get 2, maybe 3 kills. In the next game the same M44 over shoots, under shoots, and when it hits, it does minor damage. RNG is, I believe, such a powerful factor in determining a player's performance, that the player's actual effort at least feels as if it makes no difference.

I believe the game is designed this way to keep players looking for the next, great tank, moving up to the next tier, etc. All of this is to lead players to spend money on camo, on spending money of getting crews at 100%, buying "gold" ammo, etc.

The game can't be free, and make money for the owners - and be a satisfying game. Too many compromises have to be made in the attempt to be free and make money.

Also, I believe the game is a technological dead end. Band width is, I think, the problem. I had only rare problems with lag and high ping in 8.9 and 9.1. With the release of 9.2 odd, spiky ping is now pretty frequent. The reality is flying turrets, over flying fighter planes, more spectacular explosions, high def tanks, all take up band width. WoT can only take the online game so far because of technological limitations.

I would be less inclined to quit if WoT would do two things. First, forget about flying turrets, and put R&D time into more maps. Second, improve MM, so that teams of similar skill play. That would reduce the run away, lop sided wins and losses and make the games more competitive and fun.

As for me, I have sold off about 1 out of 3 of my machines. I have reduced them to 10. I kept the ones with the best stats, and provide me with the most enjoyment. I am playing less. Tomorrow I go the the rifle range to put real projectiles down range. And I am not spending another real world dime on "WoT. I did that once upon a time to free up experience. No more. The game isn't worth my real world dollars when there is a real world out there that provides a lot more pleasure.

Will I quit? No. But I am playing less. I am not spending real world dollars on the game.

MichiganMike

Shadowcat20 #14 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 05:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36427 battles

Quitting???

Not anytime soon...but playing fewer game?...you bet.

Started playing real heavy about 18 months ago, say 40 to 60 games a day. This summer I ran into a large crop of statmonkeys..talk about sucking the enjoyment out of a game. After July I dropped to maybe 15 to 20 games a day and have done even less for days at a time. Between Statmonkeys and my whole clan defecting to Warthunder the game just died for me.

So got into a space trading freebe and dropped the clan to help break things up. Still play, just fewer games and spend as much time on another game where stats do not define a persons worth in this world. Still enjoy it, but am too old to measure my worth by a vidio game score.

Chanault #15 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 14:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3701 battles
I promised WG that I would stay with them until they could turn a profit and I am a man of my word.

Hazakdds #16 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 15:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15062 battles

This is a very good question.  I broke over 2k games this past weekend and realized I'm a microcosm of this issue.  Being a doc and an "A" type personality with an overachieving streak has been challenging, to say the least, in this game.  I'm at the point where I know enough to know I suck, but am correcting the mistakes I make.  Using guides and help videos made by successful players works to a point.  Doing everything "right" and then watching the 10th team in a row melt away around you is a bit disheartening.  Random pub battles are just that, so by just showing up you can get a reasonable win rate.  That's why there are those pesky bots.  This is a whole other issue that really confuses me.  Why run a bot to get stats in a game that you need to be involved in and play to see what stats you get when you play in the game you need to be involved in to......?

It's the elusive WN8 stat that still confuses me.  I know I have to do more damage per game...   yes, I know.  But there's the rub now isn't it?  You need a gun that can pen, skills that get you in the right position on the map, positioning against the tank you are shooting at, and all the other things that are all over the other posts on this forum.

I have to agree with MichiganMike and ShadowCat, the real world obviously holds more for me than this game where stats define you, but they are a VERY skewed picture.  Over time I'm sure I can get my stats up, but I'm done paying real coin for this.  MM is crazy most times and the social environment is toxic in the extreme.  There are some full on unstable people playing this game who need some real world professional help.

I thought it was fun because I've been into tanks since I was a kid, but the more I play the worse this gets.  I understand exactly what WoT is doing with the addictive stat and achievement based model, but will have to seriously consider how far I'm willing to go with this game.

As far as players that have the really good stats, I'm sure there are very skilled tankers out there and please do not think I'm making vast generalizations, but I do see quite a few blues and purples with 10k+ battles in my lower tier matches.  I'm back down to the lower tiers because I did the whole "run up the tier as fast as you can to get the good tank that will solve all the problems" trap.  Now I'm back to "training" levels.  The tiers where I can actually work on my skills rather than die and not contribute.

So I guess where I'm going with all this is simply that when I lose interest and stop having fun, I'm gone.

Edited by Hazakdds, Sep 15 2014 - 15:49.

Insurrectional_Leftist #17 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 15:58

Major

• Players
  • 46751 battles

I just wanted to say that I agree with so much of what everyone above are saying.

There are some real Match Maker issues that need to be addressed that would help make the game fair for all that play, and not just placing so much of the game towards a certain group of players in a certain % stat range.  I just don't see how skill fits into the equation as much as is stated, because from one battle to next a player can be an outstanding hero on his skill, the next battle he is smashed like he never has played this game before, while his team is rolled up in less than 1.5 mins, then game over.  (Blow out)

I know good players now that "Uninstall for 2 months or more at a time" then come back to play for about 2 weeks or so, then uninstall again, after they see hard earned win rates collapse.  They see losses happen, when they know they even exceeded their skill abilities, and see no further use in continuing even.

I know some people who have had illogical run ins, unexplainable, unfair handed decisions by the support personnel do things to them from a customer service stand point that abused them from ever wanting to play again.

And the corrosive player community is the "pits."  The stats driven plague in the game has become out right mind numbing to where its reached a sickening level that can turn anyone off, because of the abusive, attacking, offensive behavior attached to that demeans others.   The WNx system is has certain flaws in it that do not reflect realistic levels of expectation in regards to how it factors in what can be expected in regards to game limitations, and game design.  It is calibrated with a very narrow focus around the extreme performers in the game, and drives certain play styles that affects play behaviors in the game, which affect game quality in a holistic way.

Edited by valkyrie451, Sep 15 2014 - 16:11.

1SLUGGO1 #18 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 16:09

Major

• Players
  • 24723 battles

View Postjkk101, on Sep 14 2014 - 22:59, said:

So last couple of days been seeing players post that they are quitting. I was wondering how many have been thinking of or been close to quitting? I know the game is tough when you first start and it takes a long time to get better and I was wondering how many new players are being lost. I believe a lot are leaving due to the 2 tier spread and poor MM I.E putting 50% WR players on one team and 40% WR players on the other. I would like to see just how many are leaving WG has to know not that we will get the true numbers here because most new players probably don't even come on the forums. 

I imagine most players leave without saying a word.

The rather comparatively high learning curve along with the complete lack of a decent tutorial before the introduction to the mayhem of "standard" matches in randoms is, I imagine, incredibly frustrating.  Many of the accounts on the NA server are dead with less than 1k battles for this reason.  Players test the game, find it unrewarding, and move on.

iraqiwildman #19 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 16:14

Captain

• Players
  • 34944 battles
  • [MO-JO] MO-JO

You have to give yourself a challenge with this game. Be that grinding to a tank, raising your WN8, training a crew up, trying tournaments, etc.

If all you do is grind to the next tank over and over, you it can get boring.

With Stronghold, weekly skirmishes, on track events, missions, clan wars, league play, team battles and tank companies, there are so many ways to entertain yourself.

I just started up a Russian light line for fun and loving the T-26. I recovered the M2 light to help train the crew and am enjoying that tank too.

Fox_Trax #20 Posted Sep 15 2014 - 17:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2825 battles

Sure. I played on Euro server. That was a good enough reason to quit.

.     and drink heavily.

.            and cry for the state of humanity.

.                    Seriously, NA servers are much better/friendlier/enjoyable.

Then I quit because the girlfriend's work schedule changed.

Then I quit because I dumped that witch and had a social life again. :teethhappy:

Then I quit because my friend couldn't play anymore, and it got boring here.

Then I quit because Space Engineers is Epic trollish fun, for a few weeks.

I'll probably rage quit when they nerf the Hellcat.

But I'll be back. I always come back.

Oh WOT, why can't I quit you? :wub:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users