• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

daVinci761st #1 Posted May 20 2011 - 14:52

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT
Hi ... very raw, green rookie here.  :Smile_honoring:

I downloaded the game yesterday, and I have read the game manual and as well as the WoT wiki along with watching and reading the many good guides and tutorials on the forums in addition to some helpful threads. I am installing as we speak, but I have yet to get in and get my feet wet so to speak; however, I wanted to ask what is the best way to help my fellow teammates out, especially the arites, when I am scouting and spot enemy tanks, but I am out of radio range of my fellow mates? In other words, is it possible to call in artillery and guide in shots to a target for an arty even if said arty or arteries cannot see the ememy I have spotted because I am out of radio range ... in other words it is just on their "radar?"

I have read about the time it takes to target in and reload for arteries as well as generally how visual aquirement and the radio works in game as well as how to scout and try to be an FO; however, in all the reading I didn't find any info on calling in blind arty strikes. I want to really be, at the very least, a helpful team player even though I am as green as they get until I am able to learn enough to stay alive longer. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

daVinci761st #2 Posted May 20 2011 - 15:49

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT
Thanks Rake.  :Smile_honoring:  Yeah, I jumped in and played 3 battles and found out real quick I've got a lot to learn  :Smile-hiding: , but even though I am pretty much cannon fodder, I am having fun.

Overkill1369 #3 Posted May 20 2011 - 16:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 1937 battles
If you are spotting for arty the number 1 thing you will need is a very fast tank, number 2 is a radio that allows you to communicate with your arty.

If you are running around in a slow tank, you are cannon fodder for the medium or light tanks that are hanging back to protect the arty.  If you manage to live in the midst of the enemy, all will be for not if you cannot relay the enemy position to your arty.

This last part is not as important, but still is useful, learn to shoot on the move.  When you are scouting, just shoot at any enemy you come across because you MAY incur some damage on them.  A damaged tank is easier to kill for arty than a tank that is at 100%.

Watch #4 Posted May 20 2011 - 16:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 1898 battles
Play Tier1 like a scared chicken hiding behind the "big daddy" of the team, Top of the tank list on your team, ping shots on the same target as the top tank. Get a few shots in and deal some damage and get out of tier1 on all faction trees; Next get yourself a German PzII this seems to be the best choice for scouting tier2. Do the same follow your "Big Daddy" and when the game starts to get going blaze past the front lines ... perhaps along the rim of the map and then scout out the back lines for your arty.  The PzII has bad damage but makes up for it in speed, get behind your target if you can and smack their arse with your shots for best damage. Tier3 PzII LUCHS is a fantastic little scout 65kph, once you get the top engine, easy turns like a little champ and has a huge visual range. On the USSR side they have faster tanks sure but they do not turn as well; Hope that helps and happy scouting.

Nakiami #5 Posted May 20 2011 - 18:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4613 battles
It's easy if they're at a landmark.  I once got an enemy killed that no one (not even me) could see anymore by calling out "he's directly under their flag."

Kritdonkulus #6 Posted May 20 2011 - 18:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE

View PostdaVinci761st, on May 20 2011 - 14:52, said:

Hi ... very raw, green rookie here.  :Smile_honoring:

I downloaded the game yesterday, and I have read the game manual and as well as the WoT wiki along with watching and reading the many good guides and tutorials on the forums in addition to some helpful threads. I am installing as we speak, but I have yet to get in and get my feet wet so to speak; however, I wanted to ask what is the best way to help my fellow teammates out, especially the arites, when I am scouting and spot enemy tanks, but I am out of radio range of my fellow mates? In other words, is it possible to call in artillery and guide in shots to a target for an arty even if said arty or arteries cannot see the ememy I have spotted because I am out of radio range ... in other words it is just on their "radar?"

I have read about the time it takes to target in and reload for arteries as well as generally how visual aquirement and the radio works in game as well as how to scout and try to be an FO; however, in all the reading I didn't find any info on calling in blind arty strikes. I want to really be, at the very least, a helpful team player even though I am as green as they get until I am able to learn enough to stay alive longer. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Hi daVinci761st,

Welcome to the game. Now to answer your question and the answer is sort of. If you move your mouse cursor, by holding control, and left click the mini map you will ping a block of the map(i.e a-1, b-3, c-5, etc). That said you can call your spg's attention(many call them arties, but w/e) to that area. If your an spg and wondeirng the best way to do that hold control and then right click and you will automatically look at that position in your "spg" mode. Once they're watching you can shoot at the spg trying to land mark it, if they're watching they will see your's shell tracer.

If you hit a tank you cannot see, there will be no explosion on the ground. This is helpful for blindfiring as you can tell if you hit(no shell detenation) or missed (you see the shell hit the ground) So back to my topic, shoot a round close to where that spg is and try to relay how close you got to the target back to your spg, please note that as soon as you fire any hiding in a bush, cammo net, etc is poof gone and they can see you and will rain steel upon you.

Hope this helped and feel free to ask any other questions.

daVinci761st #7 Posted May 21 2011 - 01:10

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT
Thanks for the tips everybody. You guys and gals rock.  :P

I've gotten in a good bit of game play today, and I've picked up on bit; however, I still have a lot to learn. I've gotten to where I can survive about 50% of the time, and I've gotten better at shooting. I decided to practice using manual aiming, and I actually like it better than autoaim...but that is just me; however, my hit rate is only around 30 to 31%.   :facepalmic:  :unsure: Don't know if that is decent for a noob using manual aim or not. Hopefully, with a little luck and practice, when I get up to tier 3 and above and start playing on the higher tier maps with arties, I'll make a good scout.

Krakti #8 Posted May 21 2011 - 01:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 2069 battles
I've guided some very good arty players to the spot they needed to bombard. Having them understand your directions of course is key. I'm usually dead by some hidden TD or so, so i know roughly where they are. So I'll ping the map, have them fire in NW corner or so, then walk them out to where they need to be. Mention about 10m east. Repeat. Some of the more skilled arty(no offence to anyone but there is some REALLY good ones out there) know exactly where you want them to land. And seeing them drop a perfect shell on a 'hidden' enemy is gratifying even if you weren't the one who launched it.

Just proof that no matter the case, teamwork is key.

Zakume #9 Posted May 21 2011 - 04:31

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31438 battles
You CAN physically hit any target on the map even if you dont see them. However this is called a "blind shot" or "blind fire" and is kind of based on pure luck unless you saw them and then they disappeared a sec later so you can kind of guess where they will be. If you have not seen the target at all, and its only on the minimap, the only way I can think of that would make an arty hit that tank is if they are in a predictable position and the arty is skilled and experienced enough to know where to shoot, or if you are on ventrilo or teamspeak or something and you can tell them exactly where they are(eg: Hey man he's in the bush at the back left corner of the house, get him!).

daVinci761st #10 Posted May 21 2011 - 08:35

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT
Thanks u Krati and Zakume.  :Smile_great:

I figured as much. I've gotten lucky when a "bonzai" tank has detected enemy tank at 400 meters out or so, fired a round, hit it when it was visible in my recticle, it disappears because the "bonzia tank" moves out of range of detecting said enemy tank, fire another round just for good measuer, and I get a hit, sometimes a kill.  B)  This is just using one the starter MS1 Russian tank with the 45mm gun or the German starter tank. I've noticed at the range though it is hit and miss depending on the skill of your crew.

I finally played a few matches in tier 3 and 4 and it is definitly different with the arties and other units. Much different tactics than than the tier 1-2 matches. I am thinking about trying out a TD though. Sniping is fun. Just got to work up the creds and such.

CaptCrusader #11 Posted May 21 2011 - 15:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles
Arty sees what you see. So if you cant see it, they cant hit it. Keeping enemy targets in visual range is the key to spotting for arty. Most tanks do this automatically just by engaging an enemy. If you are scouting, you will often be seeing mulitiple enemy tanks, which will also be looking at you. In their gun scopes. Use your speed and manuevarability to keep cover and avoid enemy shots while still keeping visual contact with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users