Seeking help in a TD (video included)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Konigreich #1 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles
I have another post somewhat similar to this topic, but it turned trash talking, so I thought I'd include a video of some of my gameplay and see if anyone can give me some constructive criticism.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OHCsOUEe5fk

This segment is primarily to show my crew %s and upgrades that I've researched/am using.

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=x2GcLBWCp84

This final segment is actual gameplay in which I do some damage, but a lot of my shots are insignificant.  I then get 1 shotted by either a medium or heavy tank, I'm not quite sure which.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I apologize for the low side of FPS, Fraps seems to bog my game down a bit.

xGear #2 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:15

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4367 battles
In the second video, You were TWO-shotted. Your a TD so you have low HP. Also you were doing fine when you were targeting tanks near your tier, looks like they went middle and flanked you.

herpderp #3 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6223 battles
The only issue I saw with your playing was cover and angle awareness.  You had very few bounces, but those shots that you did bounce were at heavily armored locations on a tank or at a bad angle.  Just keep mastering sniper mode and you'll do fine.  It wasn't a bad game by any means.

You got one-shotted by an arty actually.  Please don't go complaining about it.

vanFrozit #4 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 29427 battles
1. Don't knock over trees.  It tells arty where you are, and is visible to other tanks even when you are not visible.
2. Turrets (in general) have the strongest armor.  So only aim at turrets if you can't hit anything else.

In general, you were playing it about right.  You tried to stay out of the battle, and sniped into it.  A Stug III in a battle with Tier 8s, well, your main goal is to damage the big stuff, and kill the smaller stuff.

xGear #5 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:27

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4367 battles

View Postherpderp, on May 20 2011 - 19:21, said:

You got one-shotted by an arty actually.
In the video he was hit twice.

Konigreich #6 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles

View PostxGear, on May 20 2011 - 19:27, said:

In the video he was hit twice.

Yea it was, I didn't even catch that.  I just saw the "bullet" trail and assumed a one-shot.  The first shot was like 90% and then another one finishes me off.

As for the mistaken bouncing shots, I thought someone had said that heavies (or maybe just KVs) have low turret armor so I assumed if I wasn't getting the "green" crosshair and nothing else to shoot at, I might as well try to get that 1% damage or so.

dinofreak #7 Posted May 21 2011 - 01:09

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4044 battles
You stayed in bushes which is good. You stayed behind the front line which is good. You moved to a shooting position which enabled you to engage targets which is good, but that was quite a vulnerable spot because once you were spotted you had no cover. Being a bottom tier in a match like that, all you can do is try and damage lower tier enemies. Unfortunately, the KV5 that rolled up the middle of the map to pretty much no resistance was always going to ruin your day. The only thing you can do in a situation like that is try and track him and hope someone else shoots at him to, but at that point all your team mates were engaged and couldn't assist so it was game over. Sometimes that just how the battle unfolds.

Edit: Forgot to mention that, you should ping that map and then in team chat say that there is tank (KV5 in this case) flanking. Try to do it when you are alive of course but if you do it after you died then at least your remaining team mates might have a little warning to what is coming. Not crucial, but it is helpful and may turn the battle (if they are lucky :))

It is only the big fridge turret on the KV that you should be shooting at (which you should penetrate in your StuG) but as a rule of thumb for heavies, you should be trying to hit tracks/rear/sides (turret and front are a waste of time). That is where the accuracy of the German TD line comes into play. When you get comfortable with you shooting you can start aiming for driver view ports and other critical areas.

Krakti #8 Posted May 21 2011 - 02:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 2069 battles
Well I noticed in the beginning when you first saw an enemy, you stopped in the open, turned, then fired. You should try and avoid that in most cases, there was already a friendly very close to you and if he was seen the arty is probably looking in that direction and well...you being in the open is a good quick way to get killed. It's okay if you're in the open and the enemy is in front of you to take a shot, as you can just move along after, but with this case you had to back up, then turn, then get going so you stayed in the open for a lil bit. Don't get me wrong, theres situations where you can be in the open hiding in a berm or something. Another thing IMO is when the team was out at their capture point you just went headfirst into there, not sure if this is wrong or not, but when I play I'm more of a cautious player and will check to see if those guys are about to get tore up quickly or not.

As mentioned avoid felling a tree, arty was most likely focused on your friendlies ahead of you so in that case its fine. That one lil bush can provide a lil bit of camo but when you turned towards the kv-3 on the hill you were right in the open, and he could see you. You dinged some shots so he wasn't worried at that time. He probably killed a threat to him on the other side of the middle, then came back and got you, still sitting there 'next' to the bush as his LOS was not obstructed by it.

For the most part you did fine, you aimed fine, got some hits/kills in there. In my opinion a TD is much like a sniper in other games. Its good to take a few shots, get a kill, then get the hell out of dodge and relocate.

But yes aiming for a turret is really only good against the back of the turret(especially a T29) or on a KV(with KV-2 turret as you can get an easy shot on their loader/gunner).

Do note the penetration of whatever gun you are using, and look at the armor values of whatever tanks you normally face. If you have to hit a turret, aim at the turret ring; the part where the turret attaches to the tank. If you have to aim at a tank head on and cant hit the ring, aim for the very lower part of the front hull, the hatch, driver viewport, or if its a higher tiered tank that you know you wont pene, swap to HE. You might only do 1% dmg if that but you can do some module damage. Knocking out the gunner can give you just enough time to hide and get away while your heavies take them out.

aquabat #9 Posted May 21 2011 - 02:58

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 10370 battles
I'd say you should move less and don't be inside the bushes. Not an option there, but stay behind them. Also, research all the tanks. Look around the forums. Look up their stats in the tankopedia. Learn to distinguish their guns and turrets. In a nutshell, learn every tank weakness and shoot there. Sometimes it is impossible, but it realy pays out when you can do that. And I guess you were killed by the heavies flanking your position (spotted by the medium you fired at near the end).

Zakume #10 Posted May 21 2011 - 04:14

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31398 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 20 2011 - 19:31, said:

Yea it was, I didn't even catch that.  I just saw the "bullet" trail and assumed a one-shot.  The first shot was like 90% and then another one finishes me off.

As for the mistaken bouncing shots, I thought someone had said that heavies (or maybe just KVs) have low turret armor so I assumed if I wasn't getting the "green" crosshair and nothing else to shoot at, I might as well try to get that 1% damage or so.

Ok, just a comment here. KV's (the tier 5 ones) do indeed have low turret armor, but regardless as a stug you can penetrate anywhere on a KV tier 5. KV-3 (Tier 6) stock has 120mm hull armor in the front and 100mm turret armor in the front, both sloped somewhat. With the upgraded turret, it has 130mm in the front with pretty good slope. The KV-5 (the one you were shooting at in the 2nd video) is a Tier 8 tank which has massive armor on its turret. So much so that most tanks below Tier 8 cannot penetrate it from the front unless it is a tier 7 TD(even then its slim). So dont even take anything from that because you SHOULDN'T be able to pen that KV-5 in a stug  especially at the angle you were firing at him at. If you must, use HE on targets you cannot pen no matter what, or shoot tracks. At first glance I thought you got ammo racked by the pzIV, but like others have said, there were two shots, so its understandable. Decent battle for you overall, not bad, not good.

Also keep in mind as a general rule to always try and hit the hull of a tank as it has less armor usually. Examples would be pretty much any American heavy, most Russians heavies, and about half of German heavies depending on their modules.

Konigreich #11 Posted May 22 2011 - 02:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles
Hey guys, here's probably the biggest issue I'm having.  Except for premium rounds, I don't really know what else to do exactly.

In the Stug:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fDUHRcPvoJ0

Just to further my research, I went down the USSR TD line for comparison.  Here's somewhat the same issue in the SU-76, even though I know it's not up to par with the Stug:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p68P0sstBUY

I know my maneuverability/gameplay isn't good in these two videos, but I just wanted to capture some footage of a really frustrating problem I've been having.  So with that in mind, I deliberately sat there and shot my target as long as I could.

keptin #12 Posted May 22 2011 - 03:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1705 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 22 2011 - 02:44, said:

Hey guys, here's probably the biggest issue I'm having.  Except for premium rounds, I don't really know what else to do exactly.

In both videos, you're aiming for their tracks and getting critical hits, but not doing any damage.  You'll have to hit their hull, turret, or go through the tracks to the hull to do damage.

xGear #13 Posted May 22 2011 - 03:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4367 battles
Btw you can disable the camera kick-back effect in the settings, it really hurts your accuracy in the Stug since it jumps up alot.

SU-76 is a tier 3, don't worry about it to much :P If your wondering why you weren't damaging the KV, it's because you kept hitting his tracks.

Jacke #14 Posted May 22 2011 - 04:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9586 battles
  • [-MOB-] -MOB-

View PostxGear, on May 22 2011 - 03:16, said:

Btw you can disable the camera kick-back effect in the settings, it really hurts your accuracy in the Stug since it jumps up alot.
I've tried that and gone back to having kick-back.  Turns out there's a lot of smoke effect added that means you still can't see the target for about the same amount of time.  It's more for people with graphics issues for the load during sniper mode.

And I'm used to it from firing the 76 mm L23A1.  :Smile-playing:

xGear #15 Posted May 22 2011 - 04:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4367 battles

View PostJacke, on May 22 2011 - 04:00, said:

I've tried that and gone back to having kick-back.  Turns out there's a lot of smoke effect added that means you still can't see the target for about the same amount of time.  It's more for people with graphics issues for the load during sniper mode.

And I'm used to it from firing the 76 mm L23A1.  :Smile-playing:
You can disable that smoke effect from firing your gun. You can also take off the scope shadow effect, I took them both off and I don't get any FPS drop in sniper mode.

Zakume #16 Posted May 22 2011 - 08:19

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31398 battles

View PostKonigreich, on May 22 2011 - 02:44, said:

In the Stug:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fDUHRcPvoJ0

Just to further my research, I went down the USSR TD line for comparison.  Here's somewhat the same issue in the SU-76, even though I know it's not up to par with the Stug:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p68P0sstBUY

I know my maneuverability/gameplay isn't good in these two videos, but I just wanted to capture some footage of a really frustrating problem I've been having.  So with that in mind, I deliberately sat there and shot my target as long as I could.

Well in both those videos you're hitting their tracks, which is fine for the first hit to keep them in place. After that though you want to aim at their hull or turret to do significant damage. The hull on some tanks is very slim, right above the tracks, but thats what you gotta aim for if for some reason you cant hit their turret or their turret is heavily armored. Other than that I'd say you did fine.

On another note, what gun do you have for the stug, you should be able to do much more damage to a T1's body I think.

Konigreich #17 Posted May 22 2011 - 14:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles

View PostxGear, on May 22 2011 - 03:16, said:

SU-76 is a tier 3, don't worry about it to much :P If your wondering why you weren't damaging the KV, it's because you kept hitting his tracks.

Where do you do this at?  I looked in the settings (although I was in a game so didn't have too long to look).  The kick-back really does mess me up, because if I'm zoomed in sometimes I lose my target.

In the video(s) I went for the tracks to just try and stop it since I wasn't doing much damage.  I thought that perhaps shooting at the hull was going to result in bounces and ricochets.

xGear #18 Posted May 22 2011 - 15:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4367 battles
It's in settings, the first tab, Vehicle vibration in sniper mode.

Konigreich #19 Posted May 22 2011 - 20:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 1953 battles

View PostxGear, on May 22 2011 - 15:30, said:

It's in settings, the first tab, Vehicle vibration in sniper mode.

Thanks.  I had been looking for like a scroll/meter bar for some reason.  When I stopped to read each choice I saw it. :)

LMG #20 Posted May 23 2011 - 01:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2183 battles
You should check where you are placing your shots. Some tanks have extremely strong turret armor (American Heavy tanks), but other have weak turret sides or rear (Tiger II, M6A2E1; I always do a little research on what I can penetrate and what I cannot). I'm not sure why you went towards the middle then backed off right at the start (I would have gone directly to the area that I was going to cover). One last thing, if a tank is aproaching from your flank, turn around and shoot it. If it spotted you, MOVE! Otherwise SPGs might get a shot on you. Next to that you did well :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users