Tips from a Noob

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

DominionOfCanada #1 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 772 battles
Are you a noob? Got some advice for the rest of us? Share it here!

Sometimes the game vets, can't remember what its like to learn the game, or they learned at a time when they were getting free gold every day so when the game launched they were already well-schooled in how to advance. We love the game vets, but sometimes a noob's advice is useful too. Let's share what we've learned here. I'll start...

1. Go Slow
This game, is largely about patience. Leroy Jenkins was a lousy tank commander. Especially at first, when you are learning how to run your LOLTrakter, take it slow. Find the biggest pack of tanks in your group and follow them but stay back and watch what they do. Learn from those who clearly know the game.

2. Survive
At first, just try to survive. It will help your XP and it will teach you how to hide, find cover and to be patient. The more challenging lessons come later, but master survival first.

3. Don't panic, just respawn
You will die, in fact you'll die a lot, despite your best efforts at points 1 & 2. When it happens, don't panic. Instead, hit the right mouse button and start watching the other tanks in your team. Watch that skilled arty player find a sublime hiding spot and peg off tanks from across the board. Watch how that clever scout tank never sits still. You can learn a lot after you die, simply by watching the rest of the fight from someone else's tank.

Most of all, when the fight is truly over, go to the garage, breathe and climb back on the horse. There's no shame in dying. Unlike MMOs this is a game that has a steep learning curve right from the start. There are no noob quests for you to learn your class, or smash easy PvE mobs until you got the perfect build. You start in your lousy T1, naked as a jaybird and thrown right into the fire.

So don't panic, just respawn.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

I sux. I am 72 battles into this game and I still have much to learn. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

But I really believe all three points up there are solid advice. This game isn't impossible, but it can seem that way when you first venture into it. Like all MMO-PvP there is a learning curve, but unlike most MMO PvP much of that learning must be acquired in actual PvP, rather than PvE. It can be intimidating but also fun.

And give yourself a break. You will not dominate this game out of the box. And even the very best players still lose (or die) a significant portion of time. In many ways, this game isn't about domination. In fact, sometimes its not even about kills. Discoveries can be just as important, and two hits without the kill shot is worth more than one hit as a kill shot, so don't fret about KS either. A kill steal just means your teammate helped you and has your back. It's a good thing, hang with that guy, he's a team player.

Look, I suck. If I am not the worst player in this game, I am at least one of them. But I am having a ball. So if I can laugh and have fun at this thing, despite having no skilz what so ever, you can too, because chances are within a dozen games or so, you will be better than me.

So if nothing else, you can hunt me down and kill me, knowing you've graduated beyond my ability already. :)

Good luck out there!

grailhunter #2 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 16721 battles
very good advice....im not the greatest at this game either but I do have fun and try to help my team win...so good advice

Tarza #3 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 2640 battles
When you die and you WILL die, dont exit the battle. Right click the mouse and it puts you in the next closet tank to you (you wont have any control over it). Watch what the other person is doing, you can continue to right click and cycle through the other tanks on your team and observe what they are doing. Study the tactics they are using such as placement behind objects and such.

Do read these boards and study tactics used on the enemy, there is a ton of useful info here that will help improve your game. No two games will ever be the same so you have to learn to adapt on the fly.

Ignore the negative post and dig all the useful info you can from others here.

Tarza #4 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 2640 battles
Bleh, he already said use the right mouse button, reading comprihension -1 for me, -2 for for teh misspelt words in my post.

amazingronaldo #5 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:49

Captain

• Players
  • 14949 battles
  • [IA] IA
Good post. I always watched the battles after I died to learn and see what I could do.

I will say you still may die a lot even after 100-1000+ battles. At least I do lol. I survive around 35% of my battles. I am not great but after a while you get it or find a tank style that fits your style of play and things get better.

Have fun. :)

Shaviv #6 Posted May 20 2011 - 19:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2155 battles
I think a scout tank can still benefit from sitting still in a concealed spot, as it allows for sighting the enemy without being spotted yourself (until they come pretty close, anyway). You use your speed early on to get to a good location, then you hide; light up enemy tanks, then run for a new covered position (not just concealed), taking potshots as their tails as you go by.

If you're playing a low-tier TD (as I am, being fairly new), you can't survive in the middle of a battle, especially one where your opponents have fully-rotating turrets: a turret will almost always rotate faster than your vehicle's hull can. Instead, find a good covered spot to sit and look out over the battlefield, while your scouting teammates give the location of enemy vehicles. Nail them at their weak points and the battle is yours. I assume the same is true of arty but I haven't been able to get an SPG yet 'cos I went for the TD and tier2 light tank first.

Driving a light tank, not a TD, is how I got my best run of kills in one game (six - so I'm a tank ace but not much better). The trick was guarding a certain pair of intersections that are separated by, hmm, maybe 20m? Rolling forward and back, hitting opponents and then ducking out of sight, while getting fire support from way up the street. I have to admit that, after the fifth kill, my tank was little more than a rolling wreck, but what the hell - if you're at 30hp and your enemy is both close by and knows you're there, there's no shame in ramming an enemy and blasting him at point-blank range. You're gonna get blown up, might as well make it mutual.

From my experience in random battles, unless you're really confident in your team, don't run out ahead of everyone else. Let someone else take point; he'll spot for you, and you'll back him up. It doesn't really matter what you're driving.

For low-tier vehicles, the way to play is not to try to shoulder your way through enemy fire, it's to avoid being shot - one or two good hits will cripple you. For high-tier vehicles, sure, they can soak up the damage from repeated hits - your Leichttraktor or Cunningham is made of tinfoil. The MS-1, for some reason, fares a little better...

Kritdonkulus #7 Posted May 20 2011 - 20:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
I would say #1 is the biggest piece of advice and the largest hurdle when it comes to this game. Sure it's fun to run full fury across the map sending rounds down range at god knows what being a MANLY MAN who ends up dead as the team looks at your sillyness and proceeds to riddle you with holes.

My most important advice to you, however, is DO RESEARCH. Yes as Koffin said there is a wealth of information, but much of it is colored by prejudice and tank hate.(I.E I hate the M3 Lee and will say it sucks and the worst tank in the world, but in actually it's pretty decent. It has good r.o.f decent penetration for it's tier; it just get's screwed by matchmaking and thus I hate the tank)

Step 1: Plan your game...plan. No seriously take a few minutes to look at your tech tree to plan your route through it; be it you want to elite everything or just zoom to the next tank. Stock tanks SUCK, fact of life. To minimize this pain plan your research accordingly. Look at the different guns available and then consider what your going to be facing.

Most likely you won't be able to unlock any right away with free xp(btw you get 5% of the xp you earn every match as free xp which can be applied to any tank). Now looking at the guns you can see the rate of fire(kind of important), the damage(sort of important), the accuracy(very important), and the penetration(extremely important).

Note that all tank statitics are based off 126% crew level and 125% commander level, as such this is not how you will likely be performing unless you have 100% crew, enhanced venilation module, and buy 50 gold consumables every match.

That said now take a look around your tier, early on tier 1 you will be matched with mostly tier 1 with several tier 2 tanks(there's some hidden budget behind every tank that I have no clue about the math). Around tier 2-5 you start getting matched with up to 2 tiers higher, after 5 you can be matched with tanks 3 tiers higher. So take a look at their armor, yes it's a lot of tanks and you don't have to memorize all of them but just get the general feel of where is the best place to hit them.

You don't need to memorize all their armor values because in game your 2nd reticle(you know the one where shows you where your gun is pointing at) whill change color based on their armor vs your shell penetration. Green = likely to penetrate, yellow = maybe, red = nuh uh find another target/place to hit or shoot HE rounds. Why it does matter though is picking a good gun for your tier; try to pick a gun that will penetrate most of them and decent accuracy. RoF merely dictates what type of playstyle you can use, either peek out and unless a hail of shells, or peek out and let lose 1 and then run back into cover.(Note option 2 generally gives you the added bonus of less return fire, but to each his own).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you enjoy the game and I'd be glad to answer any question you may have.

DemonicSpoon #8 Posted May 20 2011 - 21:28

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3204 battles
I would tentatively agree with some of it, but I think it might give the wrong impression. Low tier battles are more fast-paced than higher tier battles. In low tier battles, you can afford to be pretty aggressive (though you still need to stay with your team, know when there's a fight you just won't win, etc.)

Also, do not take it to mean that you should hide in the back all the time. There are players who refuse to do anything that could possibly result in them getting shot. We call these players awful. There is no specific bonus to exp/credits for surviving a battle. The most profitable games (even in high tier games with high repair costs) will always be games that you both WIN and contribute to the fight. If you hide in the back, the first is far less likely to happen and, even if you do, your profit will be minimal.

2. Survive
At first, just try to survive. It will help your XP and it will teach you how to hide, find cover and to be patient. The more challenging lessons come later, but master survival first.
This gives the wrong impression. There is no specific bonus to survival. If you die in a fire and get 5 kills, you were still far more valuable than some guy who survived and did nothing.

A better way to say that is, "Do not charge ahead to your death needlessly; if you're outnumbered, wait for support".

Krakti #9 Posted May 20 2011 - 23:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 2069 battles
Very solid points in this lil tips for the newbies. Theres so many things one can say to help you improve, but the best tip anyone can give is to just play. Do what YOU want and figure out if its good or not.
Dont rush yourself. Learn the maps and the key points on it. Learn where both sides always go on each map(rail road/right side road on himmel for example). Learn hiding spots to look for enemy movement, and especially felled trees.

If you are a light tank and are better off serving a scout role...wait for your arty to get set up before you do sell else it was a lost cause. Don't suicide rush, find a nice bush where u can watch enemy movement safely and for Gods sake, don't fire until they turn their turret towards you and you know they saw you.

When you get into matches with heavy tanks, and you are on your medium...pick a heavy. That heavy is now your momma. Follow your momma. Protect your momma from flank attacks. Youd be amazed at how smoothly a match can be if your mediums actually support the heavies, even the lights.

And of course, don't go solo. If you see an enemy with 1% hp left, hide behind a nearby building. Don't chase after him. His buddies are watching and you cant 'pull out in time' =)

Stated already, watching other tanks after you die is a good way to learn. Just remember the tanks are just tanks, its the player who makes the tank. Just because a tank got 9 kills in a match does not mean the tank is overpowered so don't buy a tank because of that.

Most of all, don't buy a new tank as soon as you research it. Learn the tank you are in before you jump up to a higher tier. Play your Tier 1 tank for a good while, get your Tier 2 and do the same. Don't forget to sell old mods you dont use, and the ammo too and buy a 75% crew whenever you can, even if you have to 1 by 1 starting at around a T4 tank(in my opinion).

I know theres a wall of text and your eyes might bounce off its sloped info, but if you are still reading a lot of tips can be found on the forums themselves. If you like german tanks, look at the german forum (or whichever)and see pros/cons of tanks and if x tank really suits your style.

Wiki has loads of info aswell.

GearaDoga #10 Posted May 21 2011 - 00:10

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH

View PostDemonicSpoon, on May 20 2011 - 21:28, said:

A better way to say that is, "Do not charge ahead to your death needlessly; if you're outnumbered, wait for support".

Which leads directly to another point:  If a teammate finds himself drawn into a fight, DON'T JUST SIT BEHIND A ROCK AND WATCH HIM DIE!!!

Seriously, I see it all the time - the guys who actually have the guts to advance and try to fight the battle (you know, the whole reason you're playing the bloody game?) get engaged on even or unfavorable terms, and there's 2, 3, even 4 allied heavies cowering behind rocks, watching him die before the enemy advance steamrolls them, too.

If those same allies had come out of hiding to HELP their comrade, 3 things happen:

>>1st, the more guns you put on a target, the faster that target dies and the less damage it gets to do in return.  Doesn't matter who makes the kill shot, you get points for doing the damage - and you're after victory, not kill count.

>>2nd, you dilute the enemy's fire.  Three enemy tankers have to be pretty determined to kill your ally if they keep pounding on him after a few of you enter the fight.  More likely, they'll break off from the first target to engage you.  This means that instead of 100% damage and a kill against your ally, they do 30% to the three of you.  And 3 damaged tanks are worth a lot more than 2 fresh tanks and a burning hulk.  Even if they don't target you, remember #1 - they die faster, so they hurt your teammate less.

>>And finally 3rd, you break up the enemy's momentum.  Beating a lone defender to a pulp is easy.  You usually don't even have to slow down much.  When that lone defender has friends, suddenly they're a force to be reckoned with.  Unless you've got the overwhelming force of half your team attacking that one point, advancing is often either a suicide charge or a pyrrhic victory, leaving you too badly mauled to survive further fighting.  Depending on both sides' tanks, tactics and luck, your attack can even wind up routed and the enemy starts pushing back to your base instead.

Also, please note that this advice does NOT apply if your teammate is being an idiot.  Following some dolt who likes to charge his light tank across open fields towards waiting superheavy tanks simply turns one pointless death into two.  

Don't be a coward, but don't forget the common sense either, alright?

Kritdonkulus #11 Posted May 21 2011 - 00:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
If your going to upgrade your crew one by one, I would suggest commander -> loader -> gunner -> driver in that order. Commander because he buffs everybody plus he increases your visual range which is very important. Loader due to the fact you cannot shoot faster then he loads regardless on how fast your gunner aims, then gunner to aim faster, and finally driver.

Scouten #12 Posted May 21 2011 - 01:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9834 battles

View PostKritara, on May 21 2011 - 00:52, said:

If your going to upgrade your crew one by one, I would suggest commander -> loader -> gunner -> driver in that order. Commander because he buffs everybody plus he increases your visual range which is very important. Loader due to the fact you cannot shoot faster then he loads regardless on how fast your gunner aims, then gunner to aim faster, and finally driver.

your forgetting the most important always upgrade your radio op first he has the toughest job out of all the crew   :Smile_harp:

Krakti #13 Posted May 21 2011 - 01:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 2069 battles
Another thing, don't follow the leopards (usually). Don't think just cuz they haul ass right from the start they are pro/heroes and you just have to follow them. They can take the hit, you, on the otherhand, probably cant(or even keep up with them)

METAL_BAWKSES #14 Posted May 21 2011 - 17:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3788 battles
I know this has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating:

Check out the wiki.  About 95% of basic questions can be answered just by checking out what the wiki has to say (bear in mind the information's not always up to date, though).  I was a bit bewildered at all the stats thrown at me, so I spent about fifteen minutes or so checking out the basics on the wiki.  I still got my butt handed to me for my first game or two, but I think it helped me get the hang of the game sooner regardless.

Also, it's always a good idea to only present the front of your tank as a target.  Just like in real life, the front of a tank tends to have the thickest armor.

Virkful #15 Posted May 21 2011 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8134 battles
Definition of SCOUT:
Stay at the frontline, and stay hidden, not running out like a fool and die for nothing.
You're much more helpful staying hidden 100~200m infront of your heavies.
You probably won't spot a thing while you're stationary in a bush, but the enemies will start to light up when they advance or starts firing at the tanks behind you.
This really helps big tanks as they get to retaliate the enemy instead of yelling "YOU FREAKING INVISIBLE NINJAS!"

Light tank on a mission:
Your job is to stay safe at the start, while most of the enemies are engaged in battle, you quickly run through the empty route to find their SPG and end it.

Great lure:
Find a rock, solid wall, buildings, slopes, anything that can give you cover!
You set yourself at the front, intentionally letting the enemy spot you, and try come for you, while your allies are all setup in the back, ready to facial that poor buddy :)

Kritdonkulus #16 Posted May 21 2011 - 17:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE

View PostScouten, on May 21 2011 - 01:07, said:

your forgetting the most important always upgrade your radio op first he has the toughest job out of all the crew   :Smile_harp:

I drive russian heavies and it's been quite awhile since i've had a radio operator =D(From is-1 -> is-3). My commander's a beast and does 2 jobs at once.

DominionOfCanada #17 Posted May 23 2011 - 00:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 772 battles
I totally understand the "don't be a chicken shit" advice now.

At some point, you do have to come out your shell and fight.

I played a few games as arty, and I've learned people who sit still too much are dead meat. There's nothing an arty player loves more than seeing a player who thinks a stupid piece of weedy bush is hiding them. I can wait until that green icon gets nice and small and BAM, you're dead. You'll never even see it coming.

Also, nothing more annoying than flushing out a lone tank because there's a friend of yours on the other side and that "friend" just stays hidden, never providing the support you were counting on.

daVinci761st #18 Posted May 23 2011 - 12:25

Captain

• Players
  • 10784 battles
  • [TT] TT
:Smile_honoring:

View PostVirkful, on May 21 2011 - 17:34, said:

Definition of SCOUT:
Stay at the frontline, and stay hidden, not running out like a fool and die for nothing.
You're much more helpful staying hidden 100~200m infront of your heavies.
You probably won't spot a thing while you're stationary in a bush, but the enemies will start to light up when they advance or starts firing at the tanks behind you.
This really helps big tanks as they get to retaliate the enemy instead of yelling "YOU FREAKING INVISIBLE NINJAS!"

Light tank on a mission:
Your job is to stay safe at the start, while most of the enemies are engaged in battle, you quickly run through the empty route to find their SPG and end it.

Great lure:
Find a rock, solid wall, buildings, slopes, anything that can give you cover!
You set yourself at the front, intentionally letting the enemy spot you, and try come for you, while your allies are all setup in the back, ready to facial that poor buddy :)

+1  :Smile_honoring:

I've been following this advice especially now that I have graduated to tier 3 and am being put in matches where a scout is actually useful. My Luchs isn't going to do to do much damage on its own, but if I can stay along as possible and find the SPGs and advancing enemy tank groups for my team or bait a slow heavy into an ambush, then I've done my job and contributed. Not great at it yet, but getting there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users