First impressions of the Panther

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

CaptCrusader #1 Posted May 20 2011 - 22:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles
Panther is new to me, so I get that there may be a learning curve to it. My ride is upgraded with the first engine, tracks turret radio and now the long 88. Crew is at 93% across the board. No modules (becuase this pig is losing me money every damn match). I am going to bitch about its lack of speed, even though I realize that I only have the first upgraded engine. Every other tank in this line has had a noticeable improvement when upgrading to the first engine. So its slow, the long 88 might be an improvement but its ROF is way to slow, still doesnt reliably penetrate armor of heavy tanks even on the back and sides and doesnt do near enough damage.

Ok, I get it. "You should hang back and snipe". Well, its really hard to do that on most matches when EVERYONE hangs back to snipe. So now I have a really slow medium tank, with poor armor, long reload times and iffy damage output. I cant run with an attacking group, because I cant afford to take too many hits and I cant sit back and snipe because too many heavies are already doing that jeopardizing the whole team by playing too cautiously. Maybe I will grow to like this hunk of junk, but as of right now, I am seriously considering selling all my German tanks (except my Leopard, its still great) picking up an MS1 and restarting with Russian tanks or maybe going back a few mediums and going to the Tiger.

My frustration with this Panther is reaching critical levels. The DB was a lot of fun and I had good times playing it. The Panther feels like a giant step backwards.

(I hope I can come back in a week or two with a glowing retraction of this first impression, but I am not holding my breath)

Dark_MadMax #2 Posted May 20 2011 - 22:21

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6813 battles
Well panthers are not brawlers. If you  wanted brawling tank -yes t54 is better choice. Also keep your panther - it will be replaced by panther2 and free garage slot in one of the patches.

FRUITKOMMANDO #3 Posted May 22 2011 - 05:50

Captain

• Players
  • 16429 battles
Hmm, i make money nearly every match and i have the regular 88  and first engine and tracks as well as 100% crew and ventilation and rammer. I usually play on the front lines in teh panther but yo have to be smart about, the armor cant bounce anything so cover is essential, you basically can never fight on open ground only from behind a rock or a house or a another tank. Also you need teamates who arent asshats and sit at base letting lighter tanks do work.

Kalis #4 Posted May 22 2011 - 06:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26864 battles
Well if you look at the stats of the engines...
Maybach HL 174      - 610 HP
Maybach HL 210 P 30 - 650 HP
Maybach HL 230 P 45 - 750 HP
Maybach HL 234 P 45 -  870 PH

40 horsepower increase, then 100, then another 120.  You're basically a really slow sniper until you get the later engines.

As for the long 88...
- 10.34 rof is one of the faster values for a medium tank's main gun.  The T-44 and T-23 reload at 8 and 8.5 rpm respectively.
- the long 88 has the highest penetration value of any tier 8 medium.  T-44 has 175 average, and T-23 has 160.
- Finally, you really need to figure out the weak spots on enemy tanks.  The long 88's 203 penetration can penetrate a T32, Tiger II, and IS-3 sides with every single shot, and can penetrate them frontally too if you aim that the correct points.  Also, are you factoring in whether the enemy tank is angled or not?  Because that can make a huge difference, if they're not perpendicular (or near it) to your tank.

There's an article all about angling and the effect it has on armor in he wot wiki somewhere.

Just as a heads up, the Long 88 is the primary gun of the Tiger, and you use it for quite a while in the Tiger II as well.  So you really need to figure out how to use it properly, or else the Tiger and KT will drive you insane.
But frankly, its gun has one of the higher penetration values in the game (the only ones higher are Tier 8 heavies on, which have 225+).  If you can't penetrate targets with the Panther... well you won't be able to penetrate enemy tanks when driving other tanks.

Prototype003 #5 Posted May 22 2011 - 11:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9178 battles
Did you completely grind all the tech, or did you have it sitting there from previous researching? Because I remember I was stuck with the 75 L/70 for a LOOooooong time. When I finally got the suspension and turret, I could mount the short 88, which actually bounces MORE than the lovely tier 6 gun. Naturally, when I finally got the long 88, it was a godsend. I could actually penetrate tanks for once.

The first game I had with the long 88, I was like YESSSSSS!!!!
I had after all been stuck with the short 88 since the VK3001(P).

So yes, this tank is horrible when stock (but it can't be nearly as bad as the VK3001(P)), but once it's upgraded, it is like a PzIV on steroids on steroids, on steroids.

(FYI, the long 88 has the same fire rate as the short 88, can hit further and can hurt what it hits)

Hunt3rj2 #6 Posted May 28 2011 - 19:59

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7068 battles
I managed to grind the VK3001P with upgraded tracks, turret, and the L/70. Just grit your teeth and grind out the engine upgrades while staying on the cheap engines, then rejoice when you get the final engine unlocked and on your tank.

Kalis #7 Posted May 29 2011 - 00:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26864 battles
Prototype003:
in my case, I had a KT before I got the Panther, so when I got it, all I needed was the tracks and turret, and I was good to go :)

amuro #8 Posted May 29 2011 - 17:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6965 battles

View PostKalis, on May 29 2011 - 00:41, said:

Prototype003:
in my case, I had a KT before I got the Panther, so when I got it, all I needed was the tracks and turret, and I was good to go :)

thats what i love about these tress, everything can be interchanged between different tanks. so you don't waste time grinding for some gun you already have.

Doctuer #9 Posted May 30 2011 - 10:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24518 battles
I hated the Panther. I love the Panther II. It's a tough thing, getting through life, but there's a reward if you stick at it. :)

Big_Benn_Klingon #10 Posted May 31 2011 - 22:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33149 battles
just got the panther as well.. i used my free xp to upgrade everything but the last 2 engines.  my experience is with the rus med line (and recently i started grinding the US med line).

As it is now, my panther is a snail - some heavies actually pass me on the road.. i really cant overemphisize this - its the slowest tank ive driven since my ms-1.  im hoping the engine upgrades change that but thats about 50k exp away.. i heard this tank was slow, but i couldnt have imagined this - even for a semi stock engine (and 4 engine choices? wtf?) I do love being able to turn on the spot - an overlooked but extremely useful ability!!!

the armor is not that great - but its not that bad either.. it bounces enough considering the tiers im facing and doesnt feel considerably weaker than my t-44.  After all the horror stories i heard about the panther's paper-thin skin, im actually minutely impressed.

as for the gun, im using the long 88 - I NEVER KNEW WHAT A GUN WAS TIL USED THAT THING!!! Holy crap that gun is awsome! like i said above, im used to the rus meds and there is nothing even remotely comparible even on the 54.  Penatration-awsome; ROF-awsome; Damage-awsome; and until yesterday i actually didnt know that aiming cirles could stay that small (true story)!! I can only remember bouncing one shot (altho im sure ive bounced more), ironically against another panther. im averaging almost 2 kills per game - where my average with my other tanks is about 1 per game. im assuming im doing more damage per game as well. Ive read that the panther II has an even better gun - cant wait!

My Panther Summary:
speed(so far): beyond horrible - whoever is responsible should be put up on war-crimes
armor: mediocre
gun: fantabulistic

hectorjr21 #11 Posted Jun 01 2011 - 00:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15580 battles
  • [SPIDY] SPIDY

View PostBig_Benn_Klingon, on May 31 2011 - 22:54, said:

just got the panther as well.. i used my free xp to upgrade everything but the last 2 engines.  my experience is with the rus med line (and recently i started grinding the US med line).

As it is now, my panther is a snail - some heavies actually pass me on the road.. i really cant overemphisize this - its the slowest tank ive driven since my ms-1.  im hoping the engine upgrades change that but thats about 50k exp away.. i heard this tank was slow, but i couldnt have imagined this - even for a semi stock engine (and 4 engine choices? wtf?) I do love being able to turn on the spot - an overlooked but extremely useful ability!!!

the armor is not that great - but its not that bad either.. it bounces enough considering the tiers im facing and doesnt feel considerably weaker than my t-44.  After all the horror stories i heard about the panther's paper-thin skin, im actually minutely impressed.

as for the gun, im using the long 88 - I NEVER KNEW WHAT A GUN WAS TIL USED THAT THING!!! Holy crap that gun is awsome! like i said above, im used to the rus meds and there is nothing even remotely comparible even on the 54.  Penatration-awsome; ROF-awsome; Damage-awsome; and until yesterday i actually didnt know that aiming cirles could stay that small (true story)!! I can only remember bouncing one shot (altho im sure ive bounced more), ironically against another panther. im averaging almost 2 kills per game - where my average with my other tanks is about 1 per game. im assuming im doing more damage per game as well. Ive read that the panther II has an even better gun - cant wait!

My Panther Summary:
speed(so far): beyond horrible - whoever is responsible should be put up on war-crimes
armor: mediocre
gun: fantabulistic

When you get the upgraded engines, you'll be able to reach your top speed of 48kph easily, and you'll be more maneuverable.
The Panthers armor is better than the T23 paper tank, it can actually bounce shots from tier 5-6 tanks.
With the ROF buff for the Panther's 88 in 0.6.4, the Panther has the best DPS.

The 0.6.4 Panther is easily the best tier 8 medium tank.

mediumcomputer #12 Posted Jun 12 2011 - 09:05

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 2815 battles
I LOVE my panther. I'm making over 700 avg xp/rnd premium. It is a super fast sniper that you can play peek-a-boo reallllllly well with. Get a rammer and a stabilizer and count in your head your open windows for enemy tanks firing and peek out and fire your AMAZING long 88 during that time. You whittle big tanks down 9-12% at a time but you win in the long run. Turn your front armor to them at an angle and you'll survive many a shot. I CANT WAIT for the Panther II, if played right the Panther is a beaaaaaast. You just can't get in to many 1v1 close range battles unless you're winning a peek-a-boo fight.

Belesarius #13 Posted Jun 12 2011 - 14:34

Major

• Players
  • 7951 battles
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO
The kind of thing that is possible witha  fully upgraded Panther:

Posted Image

Ravost #14 Posted Jun 12 2011 - 15:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 4388 battles
  • [GUILE] GUILE
Just got my panther last night , and ugh. Have everything unlocked but turret and tracks ( have no idea why the upgraded tracks from my jagdpanther or the same turret ive used on every tank since tier 5 have to be researched again) and only have about 10k free xp saved from db grind, I need 13.6k xp for tracks and 18.5k xp for turret so I have to come up with 22k xp on my panther before I can use a good gun.

Last 2 matches I was in today I was in top 3 for tanks on our side. First match 12 shots fired, 12 hit all for 0 damage, I switch to he rounds next match get some crit hits but no damage, kill a stug3 with same gun as me (lol tier5)takes 3 hits to kill him with ap, I get owned by 2 kts at range (first hit broke my track, killed driver , damaged ammo, damaged engine lol) second shot killed me. Thought sweet atleast I got a kill and damaged a kt with a he round for 1% damage should get some xp, we lose I get 143 xp lol and 6k creds , my repairs are 9k + 300 creds on ammo + 3k for reapir kit ( tried to fix tracks to back up from kts).

So on average till I get a decent gun I'm looking at 150xp per match(avg) and -6k creds per match(avg) till I get the tracks/turret. Thats with loses , wins I may double my avg I hope lol.

So I got at least 60 matches with this pos , prob closer to 100 before I get the tracks/turret. Any tips other than follow the heavies and pray I do damage? Don't say hang back and snipe , I couldnt pen the front hull of a pnz4 at 300 meters. Seems I need to be closer to 150ish to do anything really.

__SNIPER__74 #15 Posted Jun 12 2011 - 15:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25383 battles
  • [F--H] F--H
Good medium play requires fast thinking, reflexes, and a good knowledge foundation (i.e hitspots, reload times of opposing tanks, etc)

It's not for everyone.

FRUITKOMMANDO #16 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 01:16

Captain

• Players
  • 16429 battles
88l71 is honestly my favorite gun in the game second only to the105ausfb on the panther 2, it really sets the tone fir what the German meds are. Fully upgraded engines with that gun plus the 0 turning radius = playing peekaboo like nothing else

Cavadus #17 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 01:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3298 battles
Just got my Panther a little while ago and I've been enjoying it.  Plays similarly to my Tiger.

That being said, the module damage on this thing is insane.

Elf #18 Posted Jun 13 2011 - 02:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10785 battles

View PostBelesarius, on Jun 12 2011 - 14:34, said:

The kind of thing that is possible witha  fully upgraded Panther:

Posted Image

Or this.   :Smile-playing:

Posted Image

BA_Baracus #19 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 16:06

Captain

• Players
  • 39143 battles
I love my Panther despite the module damage, fires and dead crew issues. Best tank I've played with so far.

Vandelay #20 Posted Jun 17 2011 - 17:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11324 battles
Same, it's a great tank. Penetrating Object 704s and IS-7s from the front is freaking awesome. I reckon the IS-4 is the only tank that can give you a bit of trouble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users