FCM 50 t

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Extevious #1 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 10:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 28793 battles

Hello fellow players of World of Tanks!  :smile:

I am deciding on getting a Tier 8 Premium tank from the gift shop, but the selection is very minimal in terms of range. I have been looking at the Lowe and T34 for a bit but, I don't think I TRULY want to mess with tanks of that kind, so in other words, I'm looking for speed.

I have checked out the T-34-3 as it was classified as a medium, and it sure is one, but not the kind I'm exactly looking for (it's gun made me really angry to look at, I have had enough 'inaccurate' and long reloading tanks, so let's skip the medium ). I also had a look at the T26E4 SuperPurshing but I already knew about the pros (?) and cons of that tank, skip. As I was about to give up on searching, (kept ignoring the FCM 50 t as it was classified as a 'heavy' tank) I saw the FCM 50 t and thought to myself, "hmm, when was the last time I saw one of those? About a day ago, I think it had good speed when I saw it". So I decided to go on YouTube and view a review of the tank. Oh boy was I surprised.

It's GREAT mobility for a 'heavy', fast snappy gun, great view range, everything a medium tank driver would ever want, but what about armor, size, and cammo value? Well, it's classifyed to have 120/80/80mm hull armor, which is some what ok for a 'heavy' and 120/80/60mm turrent armor, hull down might not be a good option in some cases. Size, what is it? A small French Maus? The FCM is BIG compared to other tier 8s, so that Decreases the chance of the cammo value to be even half decent.

I'm a medium tank driver that drives, slow, bulky, inaccurate heavy tanks and after playing mediums, (I play mediums FAR better then I do in heavys, well most of the time, but my heavys do have their moments), I feel like I should play more mediums rather then heavys. That being said, I should be VERY capable of playing this tank, but is it the right pick (that 'right pick' is including other tier 8 perms as well, not just the mediums)?

Over all, is it worth it over the other premiums, in terms of credit earnings assuming that it is played correctly (crew exp is not my concern), and does it have the same credit earnings as other premium tier 8s? (Not an expert on premiums, but if a Lowe does 2,000 damage and the FCM does 2,000 damage, will the credit outcome be the same?) I heard it gets only tier 8-9 (unless platooned), is that still true or did it change? Well, anyways. I'm starting to get tired of typing this post.

So All in all, thanks for reading, and good luck or the battlefield!  :glasses:

A_Cute_Girl #2 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 11:00

Major

• Players
  • 15876 battles
  • [SHOJO] SHOJO
I'm wondering the exact same as I've been looking at the fcm for awhile now. I'm gonna buy it next time it goes on sale depending on the answers this gets.

HOTA_CHATON #3 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 11:10

Major

• Players
  • 13120 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB

The FCM-50T plays a lot like the Panthers do.  I has a good rate of fire, mobility,  and punch.  Especially for a premium but it lacks in the armor department.  It plays more to a medium style of play than anything else and can make a difference in most battles, if you play it correctly.  I wholeheartedly recommend it as long as you are a good medium player.  Having said this, don't let me scare you off, you may surprise yourself as to how well you do.  I enjoy mine and plan on keeping mine and playing it quite often.

I recommend you go to You Tube and watch the videos put up by Pointyhairedjedi and a couple of others before you buy it though.

MarkersTasteBlue #4 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 12:14

Captain

• Players
  • 15791 battles
It may be classed as a heavy but you don't tank or rely on it's armor whatsoever. Play it like a medium, in a sense. 

DerpAlot #5 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 12:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21864 battles
The FCM 50t is the only T8 premium I don't have. I'll pick it up when it goes on sale. It would have to be an exceptional tank to top the T34 or Lowe.

Gilthoniel #6 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 13:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20813 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

FCM has to be played like a medium, playing full gold mostly as its penetration with standard rounds is not very high. In terms of credits, you will not earn as much since you will find yourself in the need of firing many - if not - all gold rounds.

In my opinion, best tier 8 premium is the Lowe - why:

1. Incredibly tough turrent.

2. Can do sidescrapping.

3. Good gun depression.

4. Excellent penetration.

5. Massive credit/xp farmer.

With the Lowe, since you get more chances of fighting tiers 9's and 10's (which thanks to your amazing gun you can penetrate them easily) you get more xp and credits because you damage higher tier vehicles. I myself own a Lowe and I get around 100,000 credits per battle. I barely ever need gold rounds, so that saves up a lot. Just make sure you learn how to use your premium tank properly and you will get lots of credits ;)

Gluck mate!

Kkaotic #7 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 13:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30617 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
The FCM50t is a great tank. I prefer it to all my other Premium tanks ( Lowe, IS-6, SP, 122-44, etc) It is speedy and packs a punch. It unlike most other Tier 8 premiums gets preferential match making, so you only see tier 9's. I hardly ever have to run gold rounds due to the guns accuracy. I prefer mediums when i do play and was in the same boat as you. But i bought them all and found out the FCM50t for my play style is the winner. 

Adder1 #8 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 17:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3181 battles
  • [TWILY] TWILY

View PostGilthoniel, on Sep 29 2014 - 05:11, said:

FCM has to be played like a medium, playing full gold mostly as its penetration with standard rounds is not very high.

wat

212 penetration is enough to reliably pen everything you meet. Going premium for 259 penetration won't do much else. You're not penning the front of an IS-3 or a T-54 turret with a premium round, so you don't really have to use them. At 255 credits or so per AP round, you're looking at much greater profitability... if you can do well in this thing.

The gun and mobility are definitely the highlights of this thing. 240 alpha damage every 6.47 seconds or so with a gun rammer might not sound amazing for a heavy, but considering you can reliably pen practically everything with your standard AP (which, by the way, has a velocity of 1,000 m/s), if you get this into a good position where you can repeatedly take shots without reprimand (the -8 gun depression helps), you'll be raking in the damage (and thus credits). And the medium-level mobility? Let me put it this way- I've circled a T34 to death after realizing he was not going to get out of his hull-down position but he had no support and my teammates didn't want to push.

Which is most surprising given what it has in terms of protection. See, it's a "heavy" tank with 120mm max frontal armor. Even light tanks using standard AP can pen you frontally unless you angle enough for that miracle bounce. And it's huge. HUGE. Like, take a step back and compare it to a KV-5 kind of huge. You have negligible camo (4.something% base camo rating if I recall off the top of my head... stationary) on top of that. Long-distance peek-a-boom support/sniping is the mantra of this tank for the most part. If an enemy so much as sneezes at your side armor, you lose a module. I don't have double repair kits on any other tank. This thing is simply atrocious for incoming module damage. If you can take those hits to to the front, you're less likely to lose anything and with 1500 HP you do have some leeway, but I cannot tell you how many times I've derped a good game because my rear end was poking out of cover I thought I was safe behind or I fishtail as I retreat into cover and get nailed (which happens a lot... remember, this thing is huge, and like all tanks, the pivot point is the center unlike cars which pivot at their front wheels). If you can't avoid hits to your side, you're probably getting a damaged ammo rack (it's like the entire side is an ammo rack... but given its ability to carry like 91 shells into battle, I can't say I'm all that surprised).

I also don't have Sixth Sense on my commander yet. You need Sixth Sense, man! @_@

Some other interesting points:

-You weigh over 50 tons and can go at (and easily accelerate to) over 50 km/h. Nothing ruins a light/medium tank's game faster than seeing an enemy FCM 50 t going for the ram. Except the KV-5, but we all know about that.

-You have 400m base view range. Slap on Optics. Now you can peek-a-view like a medium and aren't so exposed to being out-vision controlled!

-The frontal armor and rear armor has some sloping. While you should never (NEVER) depend on them for miracle bounces, they do happen if you manage to tweak yourself at a weird angle.

Overall, you have to play to this tank's strengths while minimizing its weaknesses perhaps to a greater degree than most other tanks. If you can do that consistently, you are going to enjoy this tank and rake in the credits and experience. If not, you're not going to be a happy camper. Try looking up replays/videos of it first because this is definitely the kind of tank you want to make an informed decision about buying.

EDIT: Got Sixth Sense on it. Average around 2k damage per game when I'm not on tilt or my shots don't go into a different ZIP code. Hooray for the most OP perk in the game!

Edited by Adder1, Jan 03 2015 - 20:42.

Extevious #9 Posted Sep 29 2014 - 19:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 28793 battles
Hmm, it seems like my pick, but how does the Lowe preform better? Is it because it mainly a sniper with a bit of heavy armor thrown at it (kind of like the tiger 1 but with better gun and armor)? The FCM on paper is stated to have a .36 accuracy at 100m, the Lowe has a .31 at 100m so the difference is not a HUGE difference, but IS better, so in my opinion, the FCM would best be used for geting to a position that heavys won't get to in time but mediums and lights can, as stated from you guys (and me), this is best to be played as a medium. 'Pika-boo' (or in a more descriptive term, basically pulling out of cover really fast, taking a rushed shot and pulling back down back into cover) actions will possibly be best in some situations as well as puting TDs and slow heavys in the ring of death (aka running circles around them). The rof is another thing, it's not like the IS-3s gun with a 10-12 sec reload, as the FCM does have BETTER reload then the Tiger 1, and the tiger can have roughly a 5 sec reload! That means with a 5 sec reload, you can do roughly 500 damage every 10 seconds, making it easier to take out the enemy IS-3 easier. All that being said I think it's a good pick and I might post a poll just out of curiosity between, I don't know, the t-34-3 vs FCM? Anyways.

ElwoodP #10 Posted Sep 30 2014 - 19:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18362 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

Absolutely love it. Sllver farmer.

I am not very good at the game overall but this tank made it fun again. 

Toysrme #11 Posted Oct 02 2014 - 00:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17684 battles

after 2200 games, the majority of them yolo money pushes

yes the fcm50t is worth it. makes piles of money & XP on a line filled with good tanks

SeasonEnd #12 Posted Oct 02 2014 - 00:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23957 battles
Pretty good, short version it's a fat medium but can run fast with cheap ammo. The horrible part is the gun handling not quite good, I found myself missed more on point blank peek-a-boo

AuraDesru #13 Posted Oct 03 2014 - 05:31

Captain

• Players
  • 12099 battles

FCM 50T is a better sniper than the lowe

Being a sniper means that you are always on the constant move relocating and getting shots on the enemy from far away from the engage distance. You can't do that with a lowe, therefore making the lowe pretty meh due to time and power creep. If I want to go long range distance sniping, always pick a mobile platform compared to a machine that does only 9.00 - 12.00 hp/t.

You're more verseatile and able to do more on the battlefield than slow tanks as a sniper.

nitrokitty #14 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19999 battles
  • [TEXAS] TEXAS

The Lowe is a good tank, but suffers from some flaws. The shells are just as expensive as the IS-6, but have lower alpha damage. That's going to hurt your profits. By contrast, ammo for the 50t is dirt cheap.

Both tanks excel at sniping, but the 50t has preferential matchmaking, is better at relocating and flanking, and has better DPM. The gun on the 50t is amazing, the only flaw is the low alpha damage, but great handling and pen. It has the best penetration out of all the tier 8 preferential premiums. The only tanks that have better pen are the T34 and Lowe, and both of them can see tier 10, while the 50t only sees 8 and 9.

All in all, my preference is for the FCM 50t. It fits my playstyle better and preferential matchmaking just seals the deal. Just keep in mind that you're a big fat medium and you'll do fine.

Billy_The_Butcher #15 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 02:49

Captain

• Players
  • 13691 battles
  • [T_R_U] T_R_U
NO

M477145_N1l550n #16 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 03:09

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

One thing of note about the raw engine power of the FCM 50T: The only tanks within Tier 8 to get superior power-to-weight ratios are the Tier 8 light tanks and the Soviet T-44 medium tank. Not a single Tech Tree T8 medium will beat the FCM 50T's 18.44 horsepower per ton except for the T-44.

That's a big effing engine.

ElwoodP #17 Posted Nov 02 2014 - 14:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18362 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

I will say it again. Fun Tank.

I love to go after IS3, IS6 and IS8 tanks with the FCM 50 t

6TEKEL9 #18 Posted Nov 03 2014 - 20:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32788 battles
  • [AMPED] AMPED

Prefer the Lowe over the 50t myself.

The main thing I dislike about the 50T is the terrible camo mixed with long aim time, if you do not fully aim that gun it will almost never pen anything even at point blank range, let it aim and then it is both accurate & punchy but your usually spotted and getting shot by then, this tank also gets modular damage a lot when shot up too (especially the turret ring & ammo rack).

It does make good credit like the other T8 prem's, is a blast to drive & one of the few premiums that I almost never need to use gold with, so no complaints their.

Crucis #19 Posted Nov 26 2014 - 20:53

Major

• Players
  • 31275 battles
I don't know why people would say that the FCM needs to use gold rounds.  If you're playing it like a medium, that probably means that you're either engaging other mediums or looking to get flanking shots on heavier tanks.  And 212 pen compares very favorably to other tier 8 medium tank guns.  Oh, sure, if you're in a position where you're trying to pen some tougher frontal armor, you may want to load up a gold round.  But it just seems to me that if you're playing the FCM as a medium, then 212 pen should usually be more than sufficient to get the job done most of the time.

Akinari #20 Posted Nov 29 2014 - 23:47

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 12660 battles

View PostCrucis, on Nov 26 2014 - 19:53, said:

I don't know why people would say that the FCM needs to use gold rounds.  If you're playing it like a medium, that probably means that you're either engaging other mediums or looking to get flanking shots on heavier tanks.  And 212 pen compares very favorably to other tier 8 medium tank guns.  Oh, sure, if you're in a position where you're trying to pen some tougher frontal armor, you may want to load up a gold round.  But it just seems to me that if you're playing the FCM as a medium, then 212 pen should usually be more than sufficient to get the job done most of the time.

Yeah the FCM really has no need for gold rounds. A great aiming time coupled with decent accuracy allows it to pinpoint weak spots at even medium ranges. 212 pen is plenty-- it suffices on the AMX M4 45 and as the FCM gets the same MM, there's no reason why it wouldn't be enough for the FCM.

Also tagged with FCM 50 t

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users