Jump to content


T110's Long, Comfortable, Nights by the Fireside


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
84253 replies to this topic

Cruiser_Katori #4921 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 13242 battles
  • 5,196
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012

View PostMisfire42, on Oct 28 2014 - 14:36, said:

And a ball of yarn.

Do you want me to bring the three goats, an hourglass, and a crossbow? Or shall we just use the M4 howitzer, since it worked so well last time?



EmpressNero #4922 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 11168 battles
  • 11,508
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:08, said:

 

Why would the Brits name a vehicle which they didn't use? (i.e. M36).

 

Got me.  I've heard the M36 referred to as the Jackson, and I know that

 

A: Jackson is a Civil War General

B: British named lend-lease American tanks after American Generals

 

From there, I made a guess that the British were the origin of the Jackson moniker.  I did not know if the Brits used the M36 or not. 



lostwingman #4923 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:48

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22361 battles
  • 24,264
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    01-11-2011

View PostGoldMountain, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:08, said:

Well goddamn...

 

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:10, said:

 

Just once, I'd like the guy commenting to say something like "Well, that didn't work as intended" or "Ooops"

 

I think that's the thing with them though, they're supposed to be and expected to be entirely professional on point  at all times.

 

--------

Just discovered that reddit gameday threads have links to free HD streams of games...I should have discovered this earlier.



EmpressNero #4924 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 11168 battles
  • 11,508
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostGoldMountain, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:08, said:

 

A pony and I were just looking at the stats on that rocket.  The first stage engines on that sucker are refurbished Soviet engines from the 1960's that were initially designed for the Russian Moon shot.  So that rocket was being launched with a pair of 50 year old rocket engines.  Not a 50 year old design, but a 50 year old engine.

Edited by Mini_Bolo, Oct 29 2014 - 00:54.


lostwingman #4925 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:54

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22361 battles
  • 24,264
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    01-11-2011

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:53, said:

 

A pony and I were just looking at the stats on that rocket.  The first stage engines on that sucker are refurbished Soviet engines from the 1960's that were initially designed for the Russian Moon shot.  So that rocket was being launched with a pair of 50 year old rocket engines.  Not a 50 year old design, but a 50 year old engine.

 

What the actual Farq...

 

Goddamn is it a good thing that SpaceX is mass producing rockets now...


Edited by lostwingman, Oct 29 2014 - 00:56.


Xlucine #4926 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 00:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 7633 battles
  • 7,603
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO
  • Member since:
    03-03-2011

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Oct 28 2014 - 23:10, said:

 

Just once, I'd like the guy commenting to say something like "Well, that didn't work as intended" or "Ooops"

 

They even snuck in a "nominal" just after the engines popped

 

View PostGoldMountain, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:06, said:

 

That or faked drama.

Great British Bake Off is an awesome cooking program. The only drama is if someone's pastry doesn't rise properly. Which is pretty often considering what they get challenged to do.

 

Or a baked alaska melts



KilljoyCutter #4927 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:01

    Major

  • Players
  • 8469 battles
  • 23,503
  • Member since:
    05-07-2011

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:53, said:

A pony and I were just looking at the stats on that rocket.  The first stage engines on that sucker are refurbished Soviet engines from the 1960's that were initially designed for the Russian Moon shot.  So that rocket was being launched with a pair of 50 year old rocket engines.  Not a 50 year old design, but a 50 year old engine.

 

So... not so much an almost-bomb, but an actual freaking bomb. 

 

GG, rocket guys.

 



cwjian90 #4928 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 10404 battles
  • 8,026
  • [C-BOO] C-BOO
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

The Soviets were the first to perfect closed cycle combustion rocket engines in the 1960s-70s. The US didn't even begin investigating them until the 2000s. These engines are drastically more efficient than the open type.


RD-180 is a newer design that was used on the Energiya, and now powers the American Atlas V.



EmpressNero #4929 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 11168 battles
  • 11,508
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postcwjian90, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:08, said:

The Soviets were the first to perfect closed cycle combustion rocket engines in the 1960s-70s. The US didn't even begin investigating them until the 2000s. These engines are drastically more efficient than the open type.


RD-180 is a newer design that was used on the Energiya, and now powers the American Atlas V.

 

Humbug on that.  The only proper way to get fuel to a rocket engine is to use a smaller rocket engine to power all the pumping machinery. 

 

 

That's 33,000 pounds of thrust right there.  The sole purpose of that 33,000 pounds of thrust engine was to power the pumping machinery to get the fuel from the tank to the bigger rocket so it could put out 1,500,000 pounds of thrust. 



Dominatus #4930 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:28

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 10311 battles
  • 13,793
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    12-21-2010

View PostGoldMountain, on Oct 28 2014 - 16:37, said:

Aww....

How long does it take to model a tank in HD?

I'm guessing February/March time at the earliest.

I think they want to throw a Kinect at it.

 

View Postlostwingman, on Oct 28 2014 - 17:22, said:

Wasn't the West Bank annexed? I don't even know what is what anymore.

The UN (and most Israelis) vehemently opposed the idea. Basically, West Bank = legitimate government. Gaza = terrorist government.

 

View Postlostwingman, on Oct 28 2014 - 17:48, said:

Modelers again?

I think the consensus was "nobody knows".

 

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:02, said:

And I know the British modification of the M10 with the 17 pounder was referred to as the Achilles.  Did the British have a nickname for the stock M10?

The M10 was called Achilles in British services, with or without the 17pdr, as far as I'm aware. There was briefly a notion with the Brits that all SPs should be given names starting with A (like how tanks have C-names), but it was apparently scrapped.

 

View PostGoldMountain, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:16, said:

75mm Gun still has 175 Damage, despite being a far superior HE round.

Odd.

I know that the US 76mm always did more damage with HE than the 75mm, for reasons.

 

View PostMisfire42, on Oct 28 2014 - 18:36, said:

Keep in mind that thanks to WT's optimization most people are able to run it on higher settings. When I played WoWP, it had to be on super ugly minimum settings, but WT looked good on low. WoWP's low settings are also much uglier than WT's low settings.

For some reason, I can get 90fps in the air, even at ground level, but it often dips to 20fps on the ground

 

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:31, said:

Got me.  I've heard the M36 referred to as the Jackson, and I know that

A: Jackson is a Civil War General

B: British named lend-lease American tanks after American Generals

From there, I made a guess that the British were the origin of the Jackson moniker.  I did not know if the Brits used the M36 or not. 

There was a Hatch article on this a while back.



Hellheavytanks #4931 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 23713 battles
  • 1,405
  • [CDN] CDN
  • Member since:
    02-15-2011

 Original T110E5's not same but different design tank:

Turret look is little different, Hull incorrect, Gun is fine and rear engine is different.



Legiondude #4932 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 20134 battles
  • 23,025
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    08-22-2011

View PostDominatus, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:28, said:

For some reason, I can get 90fps in the air, even at ground level, but it often dips to 20fps on the ground

I can't even open GF on my laptop, I had WT installed when tanks were "announced" to try it out and flew the planes around(Something about flight games just irks me if it isn't Radical Aces)

 

However once open "beta" launched, even attempting to open GF caused my comp to crash.



Legiondude #4933 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 20134 battles
  • 23,025
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    08-22-2011

View PostHellheavytanks, on Oct 28 2014 - 19:31, said:

 

 Original T110E5's not same but different design tank:

Turret look is little different, Hull incorrect, Gun is fine and rear engine is different.

Hmmm, looking at that artist impression turret face again, it seems quite reminiscent of the M103 and Conqueror



EmpressNero #4934 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 11168 battles
  • 11,508
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View PostHellheavytanks, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:31, said:

Spoiler

 

Woah.  Now here's a blast from the past.  Haven't seen you around since the first T110 thread.


Edited by Mini_Bolo, Oct 29 2014 - 01:39.


lostwingman #4935 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:40

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22361 battles
  • 24,264
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    01-11-2011
The T110s model inconsistencies are firmly in a "we are well aware how different they are" situation.

Dominatus #4936 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:41

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 10311 battles
  • 13,793
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    12-21-2010

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:37, said:

Woah.  Now here's a blast from the past.  Haven't seen you around since the first T110 thread.

His grammar has improved by about 20%.



EmpressNero #4937 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 11168 battles
  • 11,508
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

View Postlostwingman, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:40, said:

The T110s model inconsistencies are firmly in a "we are well aware how different they are" situation.

 

You have to admit though, that 3d model looks a hell of a lot better than Wargaming's version.

 

View PostDominatus, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:41, said:

His grammar has improved by about 20%.

 

I wonder if he's still pushing his tank designs with gun depression levels that aren't grounded in any sort of reality.


Edited by Mini_Bolo, Oct 29 2014 - 01:42.


SgtTaterTot #4938 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:41

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1542 battles
  • 90
  • Member since:
    05-10-2014

View PostLegiondude, on Oct 29 2014 - 01:34, said:

I can't even open GF on my laptop, I had WT installed when tanks were "announced" to try it out and flew the planes around(Something about flight games just irks me if it isn't Radical Aces)

 

However once open "beta" launched, even attempting to open GF caused my comp to crash.

 

I almost never get above 20 fps. My average is 15 and it often dips below 10...

Dominatus #4939 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:44

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 10311 battles
  • 13,793
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    12-21-2010

View PostMini_Bolo, on Oct 28 2014 - 20:41, said:

You have to admit though, that 3d model looks a hell of a lot better than Wargaming's version.

It looks like a stretched M60 hull with the T110 turret to me.



Daigensui #4940 Posted Oct 29 2014 - 01:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 27279 battles
  • 29,492
  • [KANCO] KANCO
  • Member since:
    11-09-2012

Hmmmm.....

 

 

I wonder what the width of the tracks were. The hull body is pretty wide if you ask me. And only 45 tons?

 

I mean really, they've managed to squeeze a lot in such a small area if those estimates are correct.






12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users