Artillery Rounds Can Fly Through Cliffs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Captain_Dorja #1 Posted May 21 2011 - 08:28

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17863 battles
We've all been in the situation where we have our heavy tank in a good defensive spot when suddenly, a satellite guided shell flies down and drops directly out of the heavens onto our turrets and kills us. That is one thing and you could normally deal with it by hugging a cliff face because the sheer wall is so steep that essentially no shell could hit you. Well... I'm proud to report that today I have noted many times to my disgust, that artillery seems to be able to fire through the sides of cliffs that would normally have stopped all arty shells. Numerous times on Karelia, when hugging walls of sheer cliffs in my KV, I was killed by artillery where I watched the tracer emerge from the cliff and strike my vehicle. Coincidentally, both times I lost my tracks, so a followup shot by the same artillery, again emerging from the cliff as if it were made of nonexistence, would kill me. I like this game enough so that I will put up with unbalanced vehicles, weird nerfs and buffs to things that may or may not need them, the generally game breaking artillery from before cliff penetrating shells, debilitating lag, and having to pay to get anything in a decent amount of time. What I won't put up with is artillery being able to shoot through the sides of mountains and hit me and kill me. These mountains and terrain feature exist often in a large part, as a way to prevent artillery from being too powerful in a match. Well, since I have been shot through 2 different cliffs, 4 different times by 2 different players using 2 different howitzers in 2 different matches, I have determined that there must be some form of bug that is allowing shells to pass through mountains and emerge on the other side. Please look into this. I wouldn't make a forum post in this board if I didn't think there was a real bug here. If I thought it was just some stupid bad luck I would just spam General Discussion with this, but I think there might really be something that needs fixing, so please look into it.

If anyone else has noted this phenomenon, please say so, but try to keep it fairly respectful please.

Urbanrat #2 Posted May 21 2011 - 08:35

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6451 battles
Yeah, some of the time the round will magically fly along the slope of a hill and hit you, fair enough. But I too have as of recent seen shells coming through walls and such at impossible angles.

Whiski #3 Posted May 21 2011 - 12:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11068 battles
  • [SF-G] SF-G
I have noticed this to....not only arty...but tank shells going through rock.  Quite disheartening to know you can get killed by anti matter rounds that pass through any known earthly substance.

TheGuardian050 #4 Posted May 21 2011 - 15:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15033 battles
  • [GBEAR] GBEAR
I've also been shot through a solid wall by a tank gun. repeatedly.

When it started, each shot taking my KV-3 down about 5% or so, on Malinovka I think, a teammate thought I was being shot through the tiny windows on the building. Nice shooting if so. So I moved to a spot with no windows. Bang bang bang it kept happening. Ended up dying because I couldn't find any working cover.

fritz3d #5 Posted May 21 2011 - 15:35

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6887 battles

View PostWhiski, on May 21 2011 - 12:07, said:

I have noticed this to....not only arty...but tank shells going through rock.  Quite disheartening to know you can get killed by anti matter rounds that pass through any known earthly substance.

Actually anti-matter rounds would annihilate the moment they meet normal atoms. :) And if they passed through any known substance they'd never damage you since they'd also pass through you  :Smile_harp:

TheGuardian050 #6 Posted May 21 2011 - 15:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15033 battles
  • [GBEAR] GBEAR
Yeah can't be anti-matter, but perhaps something else from Star Trek: http://www.phasers.net/2370/tr-116.htm

(and yes, I know Anti-Matter is real and not just from Star Trek)

Captain_Dorja #7 Posted May 22 2011 - 20:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17863 battles
ok no one gives a damn about the real life physics of antimatter. Please stop trolling this thread (if it makes you feel any better I did think that the moment I saw antimatter though).

The point is, the cover system is broken in a manner where shells pass through cliffs, walls, and buildings that are non-destructible. I got hit by cliff penetrating artillery on Karelia again today in my T-34, it didn't hit very hard so I didn't really care, but this bug is apparently fairly large scale and needs fixing.

Skyfaller #8 Posted May 25 2011 - 02:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5804 battles
SPG's that are firing from an incline can arc their shells to almost 90 degrees.

Aka they fire while their hull is like this :   /  

The shell flies straight up...and straight down. In Cliff map I do this to hit people like you...who hide behind those rocks.

Its a warm and fuzzy feeling ^^

Captain_Dorja #9 Posted May 25 2011 - 05:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17863 battles
SKyfaller, I don't know if you didn't read the OP or not, but you seemed to have missed an important point here. I'm familiar with Satellite Guided Arty (which is when people like you take the system and break it to the point where an F-15D Strike Eagle dropping an LGB couldn't be as accurate as you) and I have learned to accept that there are broken aspects of artillery that allow them to fire shells over large rocks, or even small cliffs. What I said is that artillery shells are flying through the cliffs and hitting me. They aren't coming over the top of them. They are passing through, in some cases, several meters of solid ground and then hitting my tanks for full damage. Before you post an e-peen stroking reply in my topic, make sure it is at least pertinent e-peen stroking.

Trecares #10 Posted May 29 2011 - 09:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 10825 battles
I don't think you should interpret all arty trajectories as being accurate. I've had some that appeared to come from the side when it was actually from ahead. I know that because our teammates were along that side unless the enemy arty was shooting from the middle of them. They appear to only be accurate when you see them in the sky from a distance, but that's about it.

I don't know exactly how the game does the physics for the shots. I would assume those are pretty accurate They might have not dedicated as much time towards actually getting the physics of the shell to be exactly accurate along their flight path. In short, they've set it up to actually verify that they can hit you, but didn't care as much about what the tracer did as it flew towards you.

AngryH #11 Posted May 29 2011 - 15:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6785 battles
Standard rounds too.  And people know.  In the last three days I've had half a dozen instances of people clearly exploiting the glitch by stopping just short of hull-down (i.e. neither of us can actually see any part of the other) and firing straight through the ridge to get me.  Having your barrel actually clipping into the landscape may or may not be necessary, I don't know, but clearly shooting through landscape is happening and clearly it needs to be fixed yesterday.

Captain_Dorja #12 Posted May 30 2011 - 18:06

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17863 battles
Yeah it really needs to be fixed. It doesn't seem like this forum is properly moderated because there are multiple threads of this same topic, and I'm not seeing moderator posts saying that it is being looked at, or moderator posts saying, "Use existing thread" or anything like that. At least the Eve Forums are well moderated when it comes to issues of content and bugs and what not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users