How to play with friends?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Ajido #1 Posted May 22 2011 - 06:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 867 battles
I just started playing today, and decided I like it enough to pay for Premium. I'm wondering how my friend and I go about playing together though? There was a thread on the first page here about someone crying over the need for Premium, but it was never mentioned what you need to do. I think someone in game told me to create a platoon. Do I need to find more people than just my friend and I to do that? Or can we 'queue' together for a game and just play and let the system find us the rest?

jcqc96 #2 Posted May 22 2011 - 07:00

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 1747 battles
There is a drop-down menu below the battle button. Click platoon and it'll open a tab at the bottom of the client. Just click invite and you'll be able to play with your friend and one more player if you'd want to.

Ajido #3 Posted May 22 2011 - 07:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 867 battles

View Postjcqc96, on May 22 2011 - 07:00, said:

There is a drop-down menu below the battle button. Click platoon and it'll open a tab at the bottom of the client. Just click invite and you'll be able to play with your friend and one more player if you'd want to.

Awesome, thanks. I've been doing some reading and seeing conflicting reports as to whether platoons at the moment are weighted compared to soloist. Also, I got a small headstart on my friend and have T4 tanks, whereas he has T1. Can we still group together? If so, what kind of enemies will we have to deal with? I don't want him to face tanks he can't hurt. He's going to get frustrated and hate the game. Should I use a lower tier tank with him until he has upgrades?

WallCandy #4 Posted May 22 2011 - 07:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6288 battles
  • [BT] BT
Platoons are not weighted differently than solos. However, it weights using the highest tank in the platoon, so if you platoon with your friend in your Tier 4, you are going to end up in Tier 4 matches. I would suggest busting out a Tier 1 yourself until he gets his Tier 2 at least.

DemonicSpoon #5 Posted May 22 2011 - 07:28

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2700 battles

Awesome, thanks. I've been doing some reading and seeing conflicting reports as to whether platoons at the moment are weighted compared to soloist.

They are not weighted right now.

Also, I got a small headstart on my friend and have T4 tanks, whereas he has T1. Can we still group together? If so, what kind of enemies will we have to deal with? I don't want him to face tanks he can't hurt. He's going to get frustrated and hate the game. Should I use a lower tier tank with him until he has upgrades?

A platoon is matched into games according to the highest tank in the platoon.

That said, keep in mind that matchmaking is quite complicated. Each type and tier of tank has its own matchmaking levels (Sometimes, even individual tanks; the StuG is matched differently than the SU-85). You are correct in thinking that you should not platoon with your friend; a leichtetraktor against a Panzer IV isn't fun to do.

Here is the chart - it is posted in the Matchmaking Discussion thread in the Gameplay Discussion forum

Posted Image

Note a few oddities, like tier 4 lights which are matched into very high tier battles (they are supposed to be scouts).

Do keep in mind, though, that the person who creates the platoon must have a premium account (Though the platoon creator can invite anyone he wants to the platoon).

Zakume #6 Posted May 22 2011 - 07:54

Major

• Players
  • 25884 battles
Like previously stated its not weighted higher. However he will be in the same battles you would be if you were playing solo, so if you got into matches with tier 6,7,8 tanks, so will he.

Ajido #7 Posted May 22 2011 - 16:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 867 battles
I'm not sure I completely understand the chart. If I'm playing a Tier 2 Light Tank, that means I'll get put in one of two battle tiers? Either the higher or lower one? If I'm placed in the lower of the two, that means I only face T1 Lights, T2 Light and Medium? Whereas if I get put in the higher of the two battle tiers, then I can be facing all Tier 2 vehicles, along with Tier 3 Lights and Mediums? If I have this right, is it random which I get put in or is it more dependent on what tier vehicles are available at the time to make a match?

DemonicSpoon #8 Posted May 22 2011 - 19:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2700 battles
It's dependent on which vehicles are available at the time of the match. Your chances of getting into either of those battle tiers depends on how many people of what tier are in the matchmaker.

panzer182 #9 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 21:44

Private

• Players
  • 5834 battles
What happens if you have a friend in a different country like I am in the U.S. and my friend in Belgium is there a way we can play together because we tried once and it did not work

Orion03 #10 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 23:10

Captain

• Players
  • 9516 battles

View Postpanzer182, on Apr 05 2012 - 21:44, said:

What happens if you have a friend in a different country like I am in the U.S. and my friend in Belgium is there a way we can play together because we tried once and it did not work

depends on the server, he would be on the EU server while you are on the US server, so no you cannot play together, you must both be on the same server