HOW I TANKS help guides tutorials doge

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

uberdice #1 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles

POPULAR

G'day folks. I've posted a couple of these videos recently, but I realised that the thread that I used to keep the whole series together was archived a while ago.

HOW I TANKS?! is a series of very short (< 5 minutes) video tutorials. I've tried to avoid covering really basic things like using cover or shooting weakspots, but rather explore intermediate concepts that should help players bridge the gap between "bad" and "good" gameplay - this is the stuff I was thinking about when I was a wee yellow/light green, and they're actually not that complex once they are articulated.

Anyway, enough waffling, here are the videos, along with a short description of what each covers:

1. Target Priority

Got a few targets to shoot at? Let's look at how to choose the ideal one!

Spoiler

2. Sidescraping

The time-honoured tactic of sidescraping, or reverse angling. Essential knowledge for corner fighting!

poiler

3. Taking Hits (for the team)

Use your hitpoints to help keep your teammates alive! Be a bro!

Spoiler

4. Staying in Presence

Making sure that the enemy knows where you are can force them to pay attention to you instead of bigger threats!

Spoiler

5. See the Invisible

Getting shot at but can't spot your enemies? You can derive their location just by looking at the minimap!

Spoiler

6. Shooting "Through" Hills

Use guns with slow shells (usually howitzers, or "derp" guns) to arc shots over terrain and hit the enemy when they least expect it!

Spoiler

7. Wolf Pack Tactics

Get the snowball started by using numbers and positioning to crush isolated enemies!

Spoiler

8. Team Damage

Accidentally shot a teammate? Getting shot at by one? Here's how you deal with it.

Spoiler

9. Bottom-Tier Mediums

Don't assume you're useless when at the bottom of the list! Let Comrade T-34 show you how to contribute!

Spoiler

10. Using Cliffs for Fun and Profit

Be careful around cliffs, but also be aware of how they can be used against you and your enemies!

Spoiler

If you enjoy this content and/or find it useful, please share it with your mates, your clan members, your neighbours, whoever! Everyone who plays tonks can benefit!

Also, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel!

Edited by uberdice, Mar 27 2015 - 05:31.

davarco #2 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 02:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9099 battles
  • [TLOP] TLOP
Good guide.

LeFrogs #3 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 02:53

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6098 battles

+1

Great vids & good laughs!

rokinamerica #4 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 03:01

Major

• Players
  • 4746 battles
These were good and funny. I will be subscribing and these will help me on my path to handsomeness! Thanks and please keep them coming Uber. Short enough for my limited concentration. +1

Vladamir_Inhaler #5 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 04:06

Captain

• Players
  • 53751 battles
  • [AC_DC] AC_DC

You have a new subscriber...

Elevendy #6 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 07:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 18513 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

Turn down those graphics you can't see anything. o_o

EDIT:

On the 3rd one you tried justifying not reloading but you could have reloaded with an ally resetting base.

Oh look the 4th one has the map when it was actually still good.

Edited by Elevendy, Oct 21 2014 - 07:52.

KMaus #7 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 18:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 229 battles
What great videos!! really love the captions on them (because sometimes you're at work and you can't wear your headphones for various reasons), and i love the humor. I hope you keep making videos, as we'd love to see more! XD

uberdice #8 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles

View PostElevendy, on Oct 21 2014 - 17:42, said:

Turn down those graphics you can't see anything. o_o

EDIT:

On the 3rd one you tried justifying not reloading but you could have reloaded with an ally resetting base.

Oh look the 4th one has the map when it was actually still good.

3rd one wasn't actually 100% my decision, IIRC. The team's caller wanted us all into cap, and you know you never say no to the caller. >.>

Hey, the new Severogorsk isn't that awful... it's just... I love them corridors...

View PostKMaus, on Oct 22 2014 - 04:47, said:

What great videos!! really love the captions on them (because sometimes you're at work and you can't wear your headphones for various reasons), and i love the humor. I hope you keep making videos, as we'd love to see more! XD

jojofelix #9 Posted Oct 21 2014 - 23:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30948 battles
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3
wow, informative, funny, NOT insulting, short, and direct.  you may be onto something.  keep it up, i'll keep watching, and sending new players your way.

Sotaudi #10 Posted Oct 31 2014 - 23:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24827 battles
Most important lesson from the first video:  Don't drive a BDR G1B in a game with Uberdice.  He will always target you first. :hiding:

knowman #11 Posted Nov 08 2014 - 01:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8667 battles

So first of all, thank you for the videos, I learned a great deal actually just watching a few of them (will be back for the rest later).

Sidescraping - I thought I understood it, but clearly didn't, and even though your explanation was clear enough, I am still having trouble getting my head around it.

Rather than showing your front armor, which is thicker, at a steep angle, you're showing your side armor. I get that the angle makes it more likely to bounce shots, but I don't understand why you wouldn't back up behind the building and give him nothing to shoot at, and then when you're ready to shoot pop out with an angled front. That's what I have been doing, and it is apparently wrong, but I don't understand why. Is it because the fronts are usually sloped and the shot can just pen a part of the front armor that is a weak spot, whereas the sides are more straight up and down? Or something else I am completely missing?

Thank you.

uberdice #12 Posted Nov 08 2014 - 01:47

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles

View Postknowman, on Nov 08 2014 - 11:38, said:

So first of all, thank you for the videos, I learned a great deal actually just watching a few of them (will be back for the rest later).

Sidescraping - I thought I understood it, but clearly didn't, and even though your explanation was clear enough, I am still having trouble getting my head around it.

Rather than showing your front armor, which is thicker, at a steep angle, you're showing your side armor. I get that the angle makes it more likely to bounce shots, but I don't understand why you wouldn't back up behind the building and give him nothing to shoot at, and then when you're ready to shoot pop out with an angled front. That's what I have been doing, and it is apparently wrong, but I don't understand why. Is it because the fronts are usually sloped and the shot can just pen a part of the front armor that is a weak spot, whereas the sides are more straight up and down? Or something else I am completely missing?

Thank you.

If you poke with your nose leading, you risk getting perma tracked in a position where your relatively unangled side armour is exposed. By sidescraping, you bait shots with steeply angled side armour and can limit your exposure to only your target when you pop it to take your shot. It lets you get your gun on target while minimising how much of your tank you expose by doing so.

knowman #13 Posted Nov 08 2014 - 02:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8667 battles

View Postuberdice, on Nov 08 2014 - 00:47, said:

If you poke with your nose leading, you risk getting perma tracked in a position where your relatively unangled side armour is exposed. By sidescraping, you bait shots with steeply angled side armour and can limit your exposure to only your target when you pop it to take your shot. It lets you get your gun on target while minimising how much of your tank you expose by doing so.

Ah, makes sense. I figured I would try not to show side armor at all, but I guess if I managed to do that it would be a less significant angle than what you managed in the example.

I'll give it a try. Thank you for the quick response.

uberdice #14 Posted Nov 14 2014 - 14:34

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles
Updated for Episode 9.

knowman #15 Posted Nov 14 2014 - 23:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8667 battles

The "Shooting 'Through' Hills" episode is one of the more useful things I've learned on the forum. It not only explains why, sometimes, I get shot by someone who I can see on the minimap but who is tucked behind a hill, but it more importantly opens up a whole new style of play. Now granted, my gut instinct is to dislike the fact that the game works that way - it's annoying enough to get shot by art or an invisiTD, but the fact that any tank with aderp gun can do that, that's even more annoying. But it's better to know how it works and be able to use it, and I expect the obvious argument in favor of it working that way is simply "physics", which is hard to argue with.

So the obvious question is which guns work like this? Is it just howitzers, or are there other guns with a slow shell speed that will do the same, and if so, how the heck do you know. (Obviously if it's just howitzers, I can read the gun name.)

Thank you for covering that topic!

ToothDecay #16 Posted Nov 15 2014 - 00:35

Major

• Players
  • 25304 battles
  • [NARC] NARC

Dear Uberdice,

Your stuff is VERY good.

In fact, I had to replay each many times cause the captions are over the top, and I didn't want to miss anything.

Thank you for taking the TIME and ENERGY to do this for the Community !

DBL #17 Posted Nov 15 2014 - 05:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27910 battles
I am slowly attempting to become more handsome thanks to these videos... They make really good primers/refreshers.

uberdice #18 Posted Nov 15 2014 - 11:30

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles

View Postknowman, on Nov 15 2014 - 09:29, said:

So the obvious question is which guns work like this? Is it just howitzers, or are there other guns with a slow shell speed that will do the same, and if so, how the heck do you know. (Obviously if it's just howitzers, I can read the gun name.)

Basically, guns with a slow muzzle velocity, which are almost always howitzers, but if you get the range and angle just right, you can do it with almost every gun that isn't firing APCR/APDS. IIRC there's a source online that shows in-game shell speeds, but I can't remember the name of it.

You're welcome, btw. =) I made that video on old hardware, which is probably noticeable in the frame rate, but I'd like to redo it when the opportunity comes up. It's a fun trick, if situational.

View PostToothDecay, on Nov 15 2014 - 10:35, said:

Dear Uberdice,

Your stuff is VERY good.

In fact, I had to replay each many times cause the captions are over the top, and I didn't want to miss anything.

Thank you for taking the TIME and ENERGY to do this for the Community !

Thanks! Good thing you don't really miss anything by pausing it, since all the information is in text form. Also, they're short enough that replaying isn't a huge deal.

And yeah, making videos gives me time away from trolling here.

View PostDBL, on Nov 15 2014 - 15:24, said:

I am slowly attempting to become more handsome thanks to these videos... They make really good primers/refreshers.

Excellent. Feel free to spread the handsomeness around.

NoobygoesBoom #19 Posted Nov 22 2014 - 06:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2350 battles

Hi, super noob here.  Love the videos, well done and explained easy for galoots like myself to understand.

I have a couple of questions that maybe weren't covered here.  Being one shot.  I get one shot an awful lot of the time, either by TDs or Artillery, or tanks of higher tier than myself.  I don't know how to target a specific area of enemy tanks.  I get killed so quickly I have no time to sniper focus, much less hone in on a specific area of a target.  I get super frustrated with how quickly I get killed in this game.  I really want to play, but not if all I'm going to do is die every round, that's no fun at all.

I noticed in the video about target priority, your targets weren't shooting back much, if at all.  Often, I find I am surrounded by 4+ tanks and I'm getting the daylights shot out of me.  There's no time to choose a target.  What you show in that video is to me anyway, a luxury.  I appreciate that what you've shown here is best case scenarios, but what I often see is much, much different.

I have struggled mightily to play tier three, and I'm thinking of leaving the game, as it's just no fun to constantly be the first or second vehicle killed.  I don't storm the field, I stay back and artillery bombs me.  Or, I slink slowly forward, and I get picked off my someone I simply cannot see either on the field, or the minimap.  I'm tired of losing.  I apologize also for complaining here, that is not my intent, I'm very sorry for that.

You have made a very nice series of videos, and they are informative.  Thank you

uberdice #20 Posted Nov 22 2014 - 14:04

Major

• Players
  • 22787 battles

View PostSteerTheWire, on Nov 22 2014 - 16:24, said:

Hi, super noob here.  Love the videos, well done and explained easy for galoots like myself to understand.

I have a couple of questions that maybe weren't covered here.  Being one shot.  I get one shot an awful lot of the time, either by TDs or Artillery, or tanks of higher tier than myself.[1]  I don't know how to target a specific area of enemy tanks.[2]  I get killed so quickly I have no time to sniper focus, much less hone in on a specific area of a target.[3]  I get super frustrated with how quickly I get killed in this game.  I really want to play, but not if all I'm going to do is die every round, that's no fun at all.

I noticed in the video about target priority, your targets weren't shooting back much, if at all.[4]  Often, I find I am surrounded by 4+ tanks and I'm getting the daylights shot out of me.[5]  There's no time to choose a target.  What you show in that video is to me anyway, a luxury.  I appreciate that what you've shown here is best case scenarios, but what I often see is much, much different.[6]

I have struggled mightily to play tier three, and I'm thinking of leaving the game, as it's just no fun to constantly be the first or second vehicle killed.  I don't storm the field, I stay back and artillery bombs me.  Or, I slink slowly forward, and I get picked off my someone I simply cannot see either on the field, or the minimap.  I'm tired of losing.  I apologize also for complaining here, that is not my intent, I'm very sorry for that.

You have made a very nice series of videos, and they are informative.  Thank you

1. As someone who plays all classes, I can tell you that if you were the weakest tank on the field and you made yourself an available target when your teammates aren't putting enough pressure on my team to concern me, I will shoot you first to get rid of your gun. Timing is crucial when you want to make a move. Don't be the centre of attention if you can't afford to be.

2. This is something that can take a while to learn, but basically, lower glacis, hatches, and cupolas are common weakspots. There are exceptions, but those are easier to learn because there aren't many. Another good indicator is if you're aiming at a flat surface and your penetration indicator is green. This is one of those cases where there's really no way to get better at it without practising.

3. Look for targets that are distracted. If you're being shot at, and you're driving a tank that can't afford to be shot at, you should not hang around. Better yet, don't be in that position in the first place.

4. That's because it was a training room and the others were there to simulate a firefight where you do have the luxury of picking targets. Ideally, you'll only have one target in your sights at a time, because that usually means only that target can shoot back.

5. If you find yourself surrounded and your team hasn't collapsed yet, it probably means you're overextended. Try and stick together with your teammates unless you know exactly what you're doing. Another explanation is that sometimes, you just simply get outplayed by the enemy team.

6. As you get better, ideal situations stop being luxuries and start becoming products. Committed, decisive, and well-planned actions are what allow better players to create opportunities for their teams to succeed. If you want some idea of how this actually looks in practice, watch some of the replays on my channel, or have a look at the other skilled players who post replays or stream their gameplay.

Also tagged with HOW I TANKS, help, guides, tutorials, doge

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users