* Fallen Tree Camouflage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

AllPower5 #1 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
After I knock down a big pine tree then I hide behind it, does the fallen pine tree provide camouflage? What objects provide camouflage beside bushes and the Camo Net equipment? Does the Camo Net equipment work if I'm in an open area?

Brotus #2 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
great question I've been wondering that

Dont see to help but hope Im wrong

Kalinin #3 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Fallen trees provide no camo bonus whatsoever.

stickjock #4 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Fallen trees do not provide camo bonus' at this time... seems like I saw a post once that they may change that in the future tho'...

Bushes and camo net... there you go far as I know...

Assume it'll help in the open, as long as you're not moving, but WHY would you want to sit in the open...??  ;)  (not sure on it working in the open, but since it adds to camo rating when you still and says nothing about being hidden behind a bush... I should work)

pekiti #5 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Fallen trees offer no bonus to hiding whatsoever - they are treated as open ground, but obviously they can block your vision (as a player). Incidentally, knocking down trees is BAD. It draws attention to your movement, even if the enemy can't see YOU directly, and it gives their artillery something to report/blast with shells. Avoid knocking over trees whenever possible.

The camo net gives a bonus to being hidden as long as you have stopped moving for a few seconds. It is not necessary to hide behind a bush to get camo net bonus, but bushes help hide you (provide their own bonus).

The camo skill, which your crew can train once they reach 100% in their primary skill, gives a bonus to being hidden all the time, even when moving.

Tank destroyers as a class of vehicle, get a base vehicle bonus to be hidden as well. Large/tall/heavy tanks have crappy base camo ratings and are hard to hide, even with a net and skill, though it can be done.

Erwin_Fox #6 Posted May 23 2011 - 22:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Not only do trees not give camo bonus they also alert enemy arty to a tank's position. That as far as I know is bad. :P

Edit: +1 to above poster for saying the same thing before me and better. :Smile_great:

Krakti #7 Posted May 24 2011 - 02:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
As far as I know, trees in general don't provide much cover, not as much as you think. If you are under a grove of trees, I do believe it camo's you from arty(as they look down on you in satellite view.) This is, however, only helpful if you are close to the arty, as any tank nearby can spot you through the trees, and giving them eyes.

Actually canopy of the trees do provide cover if you are on a hill or whatnot.

fritz3d #8 Posted May 24 2011 - 02:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You can see your cover at any time when you free look from the direction you expect the enemy to look from and see the white outline of your tank. All that is inside the white outline is hidden. If your entire tank has a white outline, you're hidden well. Otherwise move a bit so you hide better.

Kalinin #9 Posted May 24 2011 - 02:44

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostKrakti, on May 24 2011 - 02:02, said:

I do believe it camo's you from arty(as they look down on you in satellite view.)
Arty spots just like other vehicles, just arty view puts the camera from a different angle...

FreeFOXMIKE #10 Posted May 24 2011 - 03:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
if you have to knock over a tree push it on a bush then at lest you get some cover out if it. But note it still take 6 sec before you Cammie once you stop

TELEFORCE #11 Posted May 24 2011 - 03:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
That's a bit silly that fallen trees provide no camo cover.  What were the developers thinking?

METAL_BAWKSES #12 Posted May 24 2011 - 03:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
While it would be cool if fallen trees would provide at least partial cover, the act of knocking it down would still draw artillery fire.  Still, it could be useful if you could hide behind a tree that's already been knocked down earlier.

Mow_Mow #13 Posted May 24 2011 - 03:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostTELEFORCE, on May 24 2011 - 03:11, said:

That's a bit silly that fallen trees provide no camo cover.  What were the developers thinking?

Because the falling trees is computed client side - each player's computer displays the fallen tree different depending on lag and sync - therefore it can't have any sort of bonus.

ducecat #14 Posted Aug 16 2011 - 03:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Do non-fallen trees provide cover?

SvenO #15 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 19:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
According to tests that I participated - yes, at least the conifers.

__Worm__ #16 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 20:44

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on May 23 2011 - 22:06, said:

Fallen trees do not provide camo bonus' at this time... seems like I saw a post once that they may change that in the future tho'...

Bushes and camo net... there you go far as I know...

Assume it'll help in the open, as long as you're not moving, but WHY would you want to sit in the open...??  ;)  (not sure on it working in the open, but since it adds to camo rating when you still and says nothing about being hidden behind a bush... I should work)

as a whole our arty in my clan all agree sitting in a bush and getting blind-shot is not a good thing therefore I will not sit in a bush but will station a few feet behind it. On many maps the area around the bushes are obvious arty camp spots and I gladly station in an open area as long as I have LOS cover from anybody INGRESSing to the flag. Sitting in the open with my crew at 100% and with cammo skill at 90% had an IS4 and a Tiger drive right by me, so close I was trippin. I sat there watching them shoot and waited. Did it on purpose to see what results I would get,waited. they didn't spot me until I fired on the IS4 and by that time the tiger had moved forward and it was a broadside shot to the IS. When they drove up on my position which was about 30ft in front of me I was sitting in the open bigtime...

Dominatus #17 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 21:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
On this topic, does tall grass provide camo?

Angalacon #18 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 21:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postducecat, on Aug 16 2011 - 03:34, said:

Do non-fallen trees provide cover?
Yes they act like bushes -- as long as you are actually behind the foliage.

T_om #19 Posted Aug 18 2011 - 17:53

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
As an arty player, please quit telling people not to push over trees. ;)

There are one or two spots in Sand River (for just one example) that attracts TD's like flies to a fresh pile of dung.  And usually, when they get in position they push over a set of palm trees located in that particular place.  I love seeing this on arty's God's Eye view.  I then drop shells into the spot and sometimes (not always of course, given the inaccuracy of SPG fire) get a very quick kill or two.  It is even better when the TD driver then gets on chat and begins his tirade about "hacks", etc.  Once I even responded and told him ("you shouldn't push down trees Bub, Bwahahaha!") and that set him off even more.  It was very entertaining.  I no longer tell the unfortunate victims what gave them away now.  It is more fun that way.

Tom

BillyBaroo #20 Posted Aug 24 2011 - 18:41

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
From the latest "You Ask, We Reply, Bulletin 1":

Q: If my tank is parked in the woods and there are several trees between myself and the enemy am I getting a cammo bonus? Or do I have to be parked in a bush (physically touching it)?

A: cammo bonus is given only for parking in a bush.