• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

madgiecool #21 Posted Nov 03 2014 - 21:51

Major

• Players
  • 52786 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

aust2.jpg

Looks like a bugle to me.  Is this an Australian ad?

:teethhappy:

Account_Name #22 Posted Nov 03 2014 - 23:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
In the bottom right, it says it was printed in Sydney.

t3ngu #23 Posted Nov 04 2014 - 13:23

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 37231 battles
  • [DAGOD] DAGOD

View PostAsbestos1, on Nov 02 2014 - 12:13, said:

How about adding an Australian tank then ( since Canada has the Ram) leading up to 100th anniversary of Gallipoli landing. The Sentinel was made  with 2pdr, 6pdr TWIN 25 pounder ( awesome derp machine) and 17 pdr based on a lee Chassis and suspension. Just saw the 17pdr version in Cairns tank museum. I know there a re a lot of Aussie and Kiwis who play this game so why not?

I end up in Cairns for work a few times a year. Will definitely be going to the museum now that it is open.

Re Tanks, there is that Matilda up on the Tablelands gathering rust. Everytime i go down that way i say "i must drop in". I digress, the Sentinel would be a good "Aussie" tank, even if tucked into the Brit line.

Edited by t3ngu, Nov 04 2014 - 13:23.

FangTheCat #24 Posted Nov 04 2014 - 17:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4524 battles

[quote]and the British refusing to put local divisions together in what would become the Republic of Ireland and instead integrating the Irish troops with English troops[/quote]

So the 10th and 16th Irish Divisions, part of Kitcheners New Army, didn’t exist?

And of it didn’t exist how did the following (non Irish?) Battalions do so well in the First World War:?

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Royal Irish Regiment

Leinster Regiment

Connaught Rangers

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Granted there was no conscription in Ireland in WW1, however there were plenty of volunteers and plenty of easily identifiable ‘Irish’ units. There were also several Irish cavalry units.

It’s true that after the heavy losses of the ‘Pal’s Battalions’ of Kitcheners Army during the Somme, the British did indeed try to ensure that no battalion was heavily loaded with soldiers from one particular locality, but that was mainly to prevent the whole male population of a certain town or village being wiped out in a single action as happened in the Somme.

However having said that, the Inniskilling Fusiliers would still have been mainly Irish lads just like the Durham Light Infantry would still have been mainly lads from the North East of England.

Beausabre #25 Posted Nov 10 2018 - 20:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10 battles

Several points

1) Technically the "Australian Imperial Force" is now known as the First AIF, the Second having been raised 1939-45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Australian_Imperial_Force

which included

I ANZAC Corps

II ANZAC Corps

Desert Mounted Corps

Australian Corps

(it should be noted the standard cavalry mount of the Empire was the Waler, originally bred in New South Wales)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waler_horse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Australian_Imperial_Force

which included

The Second AIF's main strength consisted of a Corps Headquarters and five divisions:[13][14][15][16]

Divisions numbered 1st to 5th were Militia divisions, which had been raised during the inter-war years and perpetuated the numerical designations of the First AIF units that had fought during the First World War. In addition, the 10th through 12th and the 2nd and 3rd Armoured Divisions were also Militia formation. Units of the Second AIF prefixed their numbers with a '2/' (pronounced 'second;) to distinguish themselves from Militia units. Where such a unit did not exist in the First AIF or the Militia, the '2/' was not initially used, but later it was adopted as identifying a unit of the Second AIF

2) The Imperial German general staff rated the ANZACs, along with the Canadians, as "the shock troops of the British Empire". I wonder if this wasn't because all three countries had recently emerged from frontier societies where self-reliance, familiarity with the outdoors and an egalitarian attitude were common which led to excellent, if sometimes ill-disciplined, soldiers.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/page/anzac-soldiers-riot-cairos-wazzir-brothel-district

Beausabre #26 Posted Nov 10 2018 - 20:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10 battles
It's worthy of note that the regiments of the British Army had two regular battalions, one serving at home at the depot and supplying drafts of men as needed to the other stationed in the Colonies. Periodically, the battalions would rotate. After World War One it was proposed to disband the Royal Irish Fusiliers, but the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, volunteered to disband their second battalion, leaving the two regiments as single battalion regiments alternating between home and foreign service.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users