How to Watch Replays (Old & New!)

Replays Old Replays Older versions of the Game

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted Nov 02 2014 - 20:36

Captain

• Players
  • 14874 battles

The following is (what I hope will be) a comprehensive guide for recording and viewing your World of Tanks replays by using the client, including the ability to watch old replays as well.  This was inspired by a thread in the Newcomers Forums and I thought I would elabourate a little on it as I've taken up a pet project of viewing older replays I had saved on my hard drive.

On World of Tanks Replay Compatibility

As the game updates, older replays often 'break'.  They no longer function with the current version of the game.  Thus, replays from 8.11 will not work on the 9.3 client.  This is often due to changes in environments, physics, maps, etc.  To my frustration, I'll often watch older versions of my great games pass into obscurity, locked behind the wall of compatibility issues.  Given how few of these great games I have, you can imagine how awful this can be for me!  There is a solution to this which I will discuss later.

But I digress, it's important to be aware that if you're trying to review your replays, you are limitted to viewing replays from the current patch, and if you're really lucky, one patch previous.

The Most Important Part

In order to watch a replay from World of Tanks, you have to make sure the game is not currently running.

Again, make sure World of Tanks isn't running before trying to open a replay!

There are two sources of replays.  The first are replays that you can download.  These can be ones you find linked on the forums, those sent to you from your contacts or those you download from a website, such as WoTReplays.  If this is the first time you're trying to load a replay, you may have to select a program to use the file as they have their own unique file extension.  If you are prompted by this, select the World of Tanks executable file (NOT the Launcher) to be the program that launches them.  Once you've done this, anytime you double click a replay it will open your current version of the game.

Alternatively, you select your replay and drag and drop it onto this file and it will launch, no fuss at all!

Saving Your Own Replays

If you want to watch your own replays, the first step is to ensure the World of Tanks game is archiving them.  This can be done from the garage and it's a simple, three step process:

For those who are wondering, that's an FV3805 artillery piece in the background of step 2.

There are three settings here.  The instructions provided will have every single game you play from here on out saved.  Each file is usually between 400KB and 1.2MB in size with the final total being determined by replay length.  The longer the game, the bigger the file.  The manner in which World of Tanks saves the file is :  YYYYMMDD_HHMM_Country_Tank_Map/Mode.  For this reason, I try and keep a notepad open when I have a good game to jot down the rough time I played to review it later.

If you select "Last" instead of "All", only the most recent game will be stored and the system will overwrite each.  Here's where the files are stored:

This file tree is found in whatever you've named the main World of Tanks game folder when you installed.  Another folder to remember is the screenshots folder.  Any screencaptures you take will be stored there.

This is the "Later" Part

So, Mouse, how do I go about watching old timey replays that I have from way back in March of 2013?  I'm glad you asked.  In order to run older replays, the simplest way to do it is to run an older version of the client.  This means, quite literally, installing a version of World of Tanks that dates back to when the replay was live.  This solution was first presented to me by watching Quickybaby and TheMightyJingles channels on Youtube where they brought up in various Q&A sessions on how they did their review process.

When a new version of World of Tanks comes out, they were reinstalling the entire client rather than simply patching, keeping an archive of previous versions of the game and making sure they still had access to all of their replays and the replays other players were sending to them.  I certainly have the hard disk space to do the same and I will be doing such in the future, but how would I get access to my 8.11 or 8.5 replays from a year (or more!) ago?

Google to the rescue.  A quick search and I stumbled upon an excellent How To video on Youtube done by joeteegee.  In it he cites a webpage:  http://wot.djgappa.com/ where archive versions of the game, including patches are provided.

A few disclaimers and important reminders:

• Be careful when downloading software from a third party site.  This worked for me, but there's nothing to stop some moustache twirling, dastardly villain from replacing the files I'm citing here with computer-ebola.
  • Do not attempt to run these versions of the game normally.  They may try and patch themselves and then all of your hard work is all for not.
  • The drag & drop method for viewing old replays with the executable file from older game versions works very well.
  • If your intention is to record these replays for Youtube videos or other cinematic and photographic effects and you're using camera mods, make doubly sure these clients never touch the internet or get tied to your account.  No cheating, people.  And don't be silly and get yourself reprimanded for using questionable mods just because you wanted a bit of nostalgia.
  • Screencaptures made in these old replays will be saved to the screenshot folder of that respective version of the game.
  • I have not gotten the 9.0 or later versions of these downloads to work yet.  Comment below if you find a way of doing so -- I would appreciate it.

The file tree I'm using.  "WOT" is my live version of the game.  The others are archived to keep my older replays organized.  I still haven't gotten 9.2 to work yet, but I'll be playing with it more this afternoon.

And there you have it!  How to watch your replays.  Make some popcorn, sit back and enjoy!  Oh, and take notes.  There's fewer better ways to see how you can improve than by watching your old games.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, Nov 02 2014 - 20:44.

ukie_ #2 Posted Nov 02 2014 - 20:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14181 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Should have named the topic "Replays for dummies" but the stuff is good:teethhappy:

Knoble #3 Posted Dec 29 2014 - 13:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 4541 battles
  • [SBUSC] SBUSC

Alot of good information, it explains why i can't see some of my older replays.
Thanks!
on a side note, the Game developers should fix this. Watching old replays on the current client should be a relatively easy fix!

Shrike58 #4 Posted Dec 29 2014 - 13:51

Major

• Players
  • 59886 battles
  • [SG] SG
I'll have to try this in the next day or two; I know that I'm doing something basically wrong but I've never been able to figure it out.

uberdice #5 Posted Dec 29 2014 - 14:09

Major

• Players
  • 22920 battles

View PostKnoble, on Dec 29 2014 - 22:18, said:

Alot of good information, it explains why i can't see some of my older replays.
Thanks!
on a side note, the Game developers should fix this. Watching old replays on the current client should be a relatively easy fix!

It would actually need every map file and all tank characteristics to be saved between patches, since those are what the replay calls on to play back each saved game. It would bloat your WoT folder immensely.

Zacatecas #6 Posted Jan 04 2015 - 23:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10206 battles

View Postuberdice, on Dec 29 2014 - 08:09, said:

It would actually need every map file and all tank characteristics to be saved between patches, since those are what the replay calls on to play back each saved game. It would bloat your WoT folder immensely.

but not being able to watch my old replays bloats my ANGER and FRUSTRATION immensely.

Thanks for the good info, OP.

BlackBlade99 #7 Posted Jan 04 2015 - 23:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45443 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY
A tutorial on how to convert a replay to a video would be nice too :)

Frogspawn_6 #8 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 00:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22289 battles

Any idea how I can re-associate my replay file with wot?  Some how it got screwed up.  When I wish to watch a replay it asks me what program I want to use to open the file.  I click on WOT app file and it won't use it.

edit:  I can drag and drop the replay and it works that way.  I submitted a ticket and got a [edited]canned answer.

Edited by Stupid_da_Elder, Jan 05 2015 - 00:42.

uberdice #9 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 01:43

Major

• Players
  • 22920 battles

View PostStupid_da_Elder, on Jan 05 2015 - 09:40, said:

Any idea how I can re-associate my replay file with wot?  Some how it got screwed up.  When I wish to watch a replay it asks me what program I want to use to open the file.  I click on WOT app file and it won't use it.

edit:  I can drag and drop the replay and it works that way.  I submitted a ticket and got a [edited]canned answer.

Frogspawn_6 #10 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 12:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22289 battles

That didn't work.  It continued to revert to Internet Explorer so I disconnected IE and now I get the following:

Posted Image

uberdice #11 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 22920 battles

View PostStupid_da_Elder, on Jan 05 2015 - 21:53, said:

That didn't work.  It continued to revert to Internet Explorer so I disconnected IE and now I get the following:

Posted Image

In that case, you want to go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations, and change the association of .wotreplay there.

If that doesn't work, or you cannot find .wotreplay in the menu, go to regedit and find Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wotreplay\OpenWithList and check that a = WorldOfTanks.exe; and b = [your browser].exe.

Frogspawn_6 #12 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 15:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22289 battles

View Postuberdice, on Jan 05 2015 - 07:22, said:

In that case, you want to go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations, and change the association of .wotreplay there.

If that doesn't work, or you cannot find .wotreplay in the menu, go to regedit and find Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wotreplay\OpenWithList and check that a = WorldOfTanks.exe; and b = [your browser].exe.

Regedit values are correct but still get the same "Not a valid WIN32 App" msg.  Control panel will not allow me to change association.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out here.

uberdice #13 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 16:08

Major

• Players
  • 22920 battles

View PostStupid_da_Elder, on Jan 06 2015 - 00:46, said:

Regedit values are correct but still get the same "Not a valid WIN32 App" msg.  Control panel will not allow me to change association.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out here.

Okay, check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wotreplay_auto_file\shell\open\command and see if it points to your WorldOfTanks.exe.

If you still can't change it, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\ and delete the .wotreplay subkey. You will also need to remove the \wotreplay_auto_file\ subkey from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. You may have to restart explorer.exe, as well. This should clear all file associations for .wotreplay and force you to select a new association the next time you try to open a replay file.

Frogspawn_6 #14 Posted Jan 05 2015 - 17:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22289 battles

It did clear the file association but it still won't let me add WOT as a program to open the file.

Heydrich_Hollenbach #15 Posted Feb 23 2015 - 14:44

Private

• -Players-
  • 6402 battles
  • [CELT] CELT
In light of the recent 9.6 update,

BUMP.

The_Scythe #16 Posted Mar 09 2015 - 04:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8934 battles
  • [DVR] DVR
So, when I go to select WoT.exe for the file to be opened with, my computer just sits there, and does nothing. It doesnt even give an error message. I uninstalled WoT for a while, but it used to work before that. (Patch 9.2 or 9.3 I think) but now it doesn't work. Should I try a re-install or is there anything better out there?

LittleWhiteMouse #17 Posted Mar 09 2015 - 05:06

Captain

• Players
  • 14874 battles

The_Scythe, try dragging and dropping the replay onto the WoT.exe file.  That should load it when all else fails.

Make sure that the replay in question is from the same patch as the .exe file you're trying to load it with.

FalconDance #18 Posted Aug 30 2015 - 16:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5229 battles
  • [RBW] RBW

Total frustration with this.

Used to only need to click on the replay, and it would automatically open with WoT and play.  NOW, even though I've carefully followed the above instructions, all that happens is a momentary flash on the screen - as if the program/replay is beginning to launch - and then nothing.  No launch, no prompts, no error message, nothing.

Since the replay is from yesterday,l I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date.

Any suggestions?

wtfovr #19 Posted Aug 30 2015 - 23:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3319 battles

View PostFalconDance, on Aug 30 2015 - 09:34, said:

Total frustration with this.

Used to only need to click on the replay, and it would automatically open with WoT and play.  NOW, even though I've carefully followed the above instructions, all that happens is a momentary flash on the screen - as if the program/replay is beginning to launch - and then nothing.  No launch, no prompts, no error message, nothing.

Since the replay is from yesterday,l I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date.

Any suggestions?

Replays for 9.9 are broken.   

Create a shortcut for the WorldOfTanks.exe application and copy the shortcut into your 9.9 replay folder.   Drag the replay you want to watch onto the shortcut and it should play normally.   

Spanktankk #20 Posted Dec 07 2015 - 18:25

Major

• Players
  • 32134 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostBlackBlade99, on Jan 04 2015 - 17:17, said:

A tutorial on how to convert a replay to a video would be nice too :)

Conversion can be done with a few different third-party software clients.

I use Bandicam.com

Free if you can keep your vid under 10 mins and you dont mind the watermark at the top.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users