Official Colour Blind Mod [Project]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Official Colour Blind Mod [Project] (297 members have cast votes)

Does the suggested colour selection for colour blind mod suit you?

1. Yes (226 votes [76.09%])

Percentage of vote: 76.09%

2. No (71 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

Vote Hide poll

Overlord #1 Posted May 26 2011 - 14:30

Commander

• Developer
  • 30 battles
You can find the suggested colour changes for colour blind mod attached.

Attached File   color_blind.jpg   6.97K

At the top - general current pattern, at the bottom - new pattern for colour blind.

1 - allies
2 - TKers
3 - enemies
4 - platoon mates

Please vote. If you have any other ideas on colour selection, give colour RGBs with explanation.

Thanks.

_Dia_ #2 Posted May 26 2011 - 14:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 31716 battles
Nice job Overlord. I'm grateful for a Colour Blind Mod Project. It's going to help a lot of people. What will happen to the fan-made one though?

Chewie #3 Posted May 26 2011 - 14:55

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7955 battles
While I can appreciate the effort to alleviate the problems that color blind people face, why can't you just introduce some sort of color picker?  It seems like all the effort going in to finding the right color combination could have been better spent making the icon's colors customizable.

Overlord #4 Posted May 26 2011 - 15:01

Commander

• Developer
  • 30 battles

View PostDiastant, on May 26 2011 - 14:38, said:

Nice job Overlord. I'm grateful for a Colour Blind Mod Project. It's going to help a lot of people. What will happen to the fan-made one though?

It might require some rework with the release of future updates.

Viper69 #5 Posted May 26 2011 - 15:14

Major

• Players
  • 6687 battles
  • [TXV] TXV
I myself am not colorblind but my younger brother is red/green colorblind and it is impossible for him to see Russian and American tanks. I am sure he will love this mod as he has stopped playing due to the hindrance.

Overlord #6 Posted May 26 2011 - 15:28

Commander

• Developer
  • 30 battles

View PostChewie, on May 26 2011 - 14:55, said:

While I can appreciate the effort to alleviate the problems that color blind people face, why can't you just introduce some sort of color picker?  It seems like all the effort going in to finding the right color combination could have been better spent making the icon's colors customizable.

Some colours don't match our concept. For the same reason you won't see any official pink camos.

Chewie #7 Posted May 26 2011 - 15:38

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7955 battles

View PostOverlord, on May 26 2011 - 15:28, said:

Some colours don't match our concept. For the same reason you won't see any official pink camos.

But that is not the decision of the developers.  Take a look through the tank skins forum.  There are PLENTY of skins that go completely against the concept of World of Tanks.  This, combined with the ability to mod a great deal of the visual aspects of the game, make it very odd that this would be a sticking point.  I appreciate that you want to have the game look the way you want it, but there absolutely needs to be a way for players to customize the game to their liking.  You just cannot tell the players what they like and what they don't like.  If a player wants colors that break the visual concept that you have set up, that is their problem, but it needs to be an option.

Schwartzvald #8 Posted May 26 2011 - 15:39

Private

• Players
  • 3385 battles
I would avoid the red and green because anyone with Red/Green blindness will be unable to tell friend from foe. To make things easier, if we must have a preset color: White, Yellow, Blue and Grey* be used.

My reasoning it simple, if you are color blind to red and green it will mute the color; as seen in my first link below. And as the second link shows for wiki standards on color blindness the selection of 'red, green, brown and grey' are all capable of being seen as the same color to many colorblind people. Chiefly 10% of white males.

So to further remove cases of confusion I'd remove the option of red and green entirely from the selection and instead refer to it how many Red/Green colorblind people would see it, more grey. Since grey is a bad color I came up with this list:

Friend: White
Enemy: Yellow
TKer: Grey*
Ally: Blue

At least that way enemy icons will pop out more when someone uses the alt key. Not only do they view the icon and name of the tank, but it rises up out of the background more. The colors have to be bright and preferably text be bold to further make it stand out.

Quick links:
http://www.vischeck.com/daltonize/
http://en.wikipedia....lor_blind_users

Edit: Typos, grammar.

Edit 2:

I've attached 3 images made through a simulator at Overlord's original image type so that people without colorblindness can see what each type of color blindness will perceive the proposed color scheme as.

First picture is protanopia
Second is deuteranopia
Third is the rare tritanopia

Attached Files

• Attached File   Type 1.jpg   6.72K
  • Attached File   type2.jpg   6.74K
  • Attached File   type 3.jpg   6.64K

EgoGunner #9 Posted May 26 2011 - 19:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4550 battles
I am colorblind, I am poor at discriminating differences in hues in the red, orange, yellow, green region of the spectrum.

I voted yes, those colors work OK for me, with the red being the worst, Red does not show up for me in the trees unless I really squint and look hard for it.  Since you have Red as TK's , I do not care, I ignore TK's.

I do like Schwartz ideas, except I would rather have enemy's be blue because the current mod is that way and I am conditioned to shooting blue icons now. Also, blue really stands out for read/green colorblind people, yellow can get lost in the bushes and ground.

My 2 cents from a colorblind person

EgoGunner

Schwartzvald #10 Posted May 26 2011 - 19:48

Private

• Players
  • 3385 battles

View Postgzach, on May 26 2011 - 19:37, said:

I am colorblind, I am poor at discriminating differences in hues in the red, orange, yellow, green region of the spectrum.

I voted yes, those colors work OK for me, with the red being the worst, Red does not show up for me in the trees unless I really squint and look hard for it.  Since you have Red as TK's , I do not care, I ignore TK's.

I do like Schwartz ideas, except I would rather have enemy's be blue because the current mod is that way and I am conditioned to shooting blue icons now. Also, blue really stands out for read/green colorblind people, yellow can get lost in the bushes and ground.

My 2 cents from a colorblind person

EgoGunner

True, I am used to bright yellow almost neon tags though I can see how on certain maps it would not stand out. A good blue always does, but I play too many combat games so I have a bias for Blue and Yellow. At least someone here voices the same Red/Green concerns as I do. Having clear color differences between friend and foe is a must for close quarters combat. I tend to do a lot of danger close AP shots and the mere designation of the outline allows me to put a shell in the enemy tank and not a friends, especially when they face hug each other in combat.

ed_anger #11 Posted May 26 2011 - 20:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14054 battles

View PostChewie, on May 26 2011 - 14:55, said:

this. i don't see what "concept" allows or disallows custom user icon colors, it's user-facing only.

JohnHenry #12 Posted May 26 2011 - 20:41

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
How about throwing in an class of user selectable objets for allies, enemies, etc. such as squares, circles, semi-whatever polygons.....

ratpak #13 Posted May 26 2011 - 21:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23817 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
another problem I have is with the outline of the tank at a distance when its green or orange, I can't tell the difference.

Gyarados #14 Posted May 26 2011 - 22:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 14341 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostOverlord, on May 26 2011 - 15:28, said:

I'm pretty sure being colorblind doesn't fit these peoples' concept either, but the thing here is that you change this, they cannot. Be a human being, good lord.

VonSchpam #15 Posted May 27 2011 - 07:12

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6674 battles
The unofficial colorblind mod works flawlessly for me already.

VonKrieg #16 Posted May 27 2011 - 12:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15900 battles
Thanks for addressing this Overlord.

Your colour selection is good, but I do agree that the colours should be user definable.

OneEyedJack01 #17 Posted May 27 2011 - 14:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6436 battles
  • [SEA] SEA
The aiming outline when in sniper mode needs to be fixed more urgently. My rationale is that we already have a workable fix for the other stuff using mods.

There is no fix for the aiming outline right now and it is almost impossible to see when a tank is against a background full of foliage.

ShurTu #18 Posted May 27 2011 - 17:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 2972 battles
since there is diferent type of color blindness
Example:

Spoiler                     

Windows Color Palette without and with reg/green color blindness
Spoiler                     
then the best way to improve this isue its this.  let the user chose at the ingame settings the colors.

this is a example of what i think:
Spoiler                     

Sorry that is made it with MSPaint, but shows what i means :)

OneEyedJack01 #19 Posted May 27 2011 - 17:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6436 battles
  • [SEA] SEA

View PostVonSchpam, on May 27 2011 - 07:12, said:

This. It works great but we need to not only adopt this but extend the solution to cover the mini map and the tank outline when aiming. For those partially blind, the additional seconds it takes to distinguish the tank outline means the difference between life and death. With noisy green backgrounds full of vegetation, it is almost invisible.

To fix the mini map, we have to use another patch so that's a 2nd mod.

My suggestion is that we should build on the existing solution as much thought has gone into it and it works very well.

Grizzly_Atom #20 Posted May 27 2011 - 17:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 3491 battles

View PostVonSchpam, on May 27 2011 - 07:12, said:

I am colorblind myself. I use this mod and haven't had a problem since.

I say shame on the developers for being behind the ball on something this simple.

Hopefully when they implement this they don't ruin something else. Seems to be the devs recent course of action, "fix" one thing and another breaks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users