Official Colour Blind Mod [Project]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Official Colour Blind Mod [Project] (297 members have cast votes)

Does the suggested colour selection for colour blind mod suit you?

1. Yes (226 votes [76.09%])

Percentage of vote: 76.09%

2. No (71 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

Vote Hide poll

Farleyman #21 Posted May 27 2011 - 18:01

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 888 battles
  • [WANG] WANG
I'm only somewhat colourblind myself, and WoT isn't a problem for me, unlike some games. That said, I know how difficult it can be, so am 100% behind a colourblind option. However, I disagree with you choosing a scheme for us, Overlord. I don't really care what colour scheme fits your "vision" of the game, its not much use to me if I can't see it, is it? Give us an option to choose our own colours. At minimum, let us choose from a list of available colours for each icon, at best let me choose the exact shade I want.

VonSchpam #22 Posted May 28 2011 - 03:35

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6674 battles
They only way I will know if the colors are suitable is to physically see them in game, under playing conditions.

ShurTu #23 Posted May 28 2011 - 07:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 2972 battles

View PostFarleyman, on May 27 2011 - 18:01, said:

I'm only somewhat colourblind myself, and WoT isn't a problem for me, unlike some games. That said, I know how difficult it can be, so am 100% behind a colourblind option. However, I disagree with you choosing a scheme for us, Overlord. I don't really care what colour scheme fits your "vision" of the game, its not much use to me if I can't see it, is it? Give us an option to choose our own colours. At minimum, let us choose from a list of available colours for each icon, at best let me choose the exact shade I want.

yes somthing like this will be the solution (i think)

Posted Image

OneEyedJack01 #24 Posted May 28 2011 - 11:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6436 battles
  • [SEA] SEA

View PostShurTu, on May 28 2011 - 07:33, said:

yes somthing like this will be the solution (i think)

Posted Image
The user interface is fine, but there needs to be a better choice of colours. The unofficial colour blind mod has been refined over time and the colours selected work very well.

I need to repeat again: Dear Overload, please have the devs DO SOMETHING about the aiming outline because the colour of that outline is coded into the client and is not something configurable.

Aiming is difficult at the moment without that fix. The unofficial mod is unable to fix this issue.

Webtroll #25 Posted May 28 2011 - 14:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19232 battles

View PostOverlord, on May 26 2011 - 14:30, said:

1 - allies
2 - TKers
3 - enemies
4 - platoon mates

i'd like to see the highlight outline and map border line included

DemonMaster #26 Posted May 28 2011 - 16:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 7928 battles
For what its worth I think that this is an excellent project the developers are working on. I am red/green colorblind myself and when I updated to 0.64 and found out my mod had gone away it was next to impossible to play. The colors suggested in the poll seem to work fine for me Overlord though it would also be nice to have them customizable in-game. Thank you Overlord for addressing this issue. Thumbs Up to you  :Smile_honoring:

tmanpdx #27 Posted May 30 2011 - 08:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 12341 battles
  • [PDX] PDX

View PostVonSchpam, on May 28 2011 - 03:35, said:

They only way I will know if the colors are suitable is to physically see them in game, under playing conditions.

This, a thousand time this. It's not a color on a white background, it is the mixture of colors on the field and when you superimpose another color on top of that background is when it can be hard to see.  

Your colors are not good. Blue, white, yellow are three very good colors. Yellow and green tend to look the same for me.

Also - very important, the RED text you display when someone kills you is IMPOSSIBLE to read. Please make this text white or grey. I can never tell what killed me.

I personally like the colorblind mod as far as colors go, but would heartily endorse a "pick your own color" scheme if at all possible. This is because people have different severities of colorblindness, and different colors can impact them.

Veneroso #28 Posted Jun 02 2011 - 21:55

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 32040 battles
  • [-UO-] -UO-
oh this would make my day.

slikrx #29 Posted Jun 03 2011 - 22:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 3279 battles
  • [GLION] GLION
Thanks for the work on this, as being red-green colorblind can make this game a tad difficult at times.

I desperately want a color blind option/fix, but I have voted "no" because there are STILL red and green, and now with yellow, I will have troubles telling that from  green. (sometimes)

Other options for text/colors: white with black outlines or black with white outlines (requires larger font, obviously and larger graphics for icons/etc)

At the very least, make the colors VIVID, and give us the option to make them larger/thicker.

I would have to ask for a user selectable color scheme though.  As others mentioned, yellow & green often look very similar (depending on the shade and the background coloration) and the shades & intensity of the color can play a huge part in how I can (or cannot) see things. And my needs will be different from many others', etc.

Also, I have not had any luck installing the unofficial mod, and have asked a couple times in that thread for some help or guidance (and the readme file didn't help) I have not installed mods for this game and trying to guess has given me the great opportunity to re-install a couple times, but has not helped th e color issue.

Thanks,
Slik

TRISTANN1 #30 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 02:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 4635 battles
i dont understand what colors? :blink:

Thundertooth #31 Posted Jun 05 2011 - 06:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 4162 battles
This is still no where close to a suitable fix.  Red disappears for many people in the trees or other bushes, therefore a colorblind fix should not contain any red at all.  Also, yellow and green are very difficult for the colorblind to differentiate, so only one of the two should be chosen.  However, the only easy way for you to deal with this is to allow user selected colors, there is no other cost-effective way.

The other option you have is to recruit all of the colorblind people into a test server and continually patch the colors until all of the testers approve.  The in game contrast over all maps is the most crucial, so a simple box on white will not suffice.  

I am sorry that this is difficult for your developers, but we deal with this every day.  I make use of the unofficial mod and it makes this game playable.  I enjoy this game and I hope you can help the gaming community take a step forward in recognizing that colorblindness does truly affect a person's ability to play video games.

Demoriel7 #32 Posted Jun 05 2011 - 23:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 9633 battles

View PostThundertooth, on Jun 05 2011 - 06:13, said:

This is still no where close to a suitable fix.  Red disappears for many people in the trees or other bushes, therefore a colorblind fix should not contain any red at all.  Also, yellow and green are very difficult for the colorblind to differentiate, so only one of the two should be chosen.  However, the only easy way for you to deal with this is to allow user selected colors, there is no other cost-effective way.

The other option you have is to recruit all of the colorblind people into a test server and continually patch the colors until all of the testers approve.  The in game contrast over all maps is the most crucial, so a simple box on white will not suffice.  

I am sorry that this is difficult for your developers, but we deal with this every day.  I make use of the unofficial mod and it makes this game playable.  I enjoy this game and I hope you can help the gaming community take a step forward in recognizing that colorblindness does truly affect a person's ability to play video games.

I completely agree with this post. Any color blind mod should not have RED or YELLOW and GREEN. I cannot tell the difference in game between the green, yellow and red tags currently. I had the other MOD pre-patch where enemies were blue, and this worked for me, as of this last update, i cannot even play the game anymore, and i'm waiting for a mod to again download. Is there a new one?

Chewie #33 Posted Jun 06 2011 - 18:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7955 battles
You know what would be far easier than trying to figure out which colors work for everyone?  Let the players choose their colors themselves.  Since they are the only ones who see what they chose, it doesn't matter if it fits Wargaming's "theme."

It truly baffles me that they don't see that this is the best solution.

Vweegit #34 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 00:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7728 battles

View PostChewie, on Jun 06 2011 - 18:03, said:

You know what would be far easier than trying to figure out which colors work for everyone?  Let the players choose their colors themselves.  Since they are the only ones who see what they chose, it doesn't matter if it fits Wargaming's "theme."

It truly baffles me that they don't see that this is the best solution.

I have this nagging suspicion that they see this solution is the best, but they don't wish to devote resources to changing the core of their interface.  Being wholly unfamiliar with their program, I would say they probably hardcoded alot of this stuff and it will be time-consuming (read: expensive) to change.  

If that is not the case, they're just being hard-headed over it, I guess.  Phrases that include things like "our vision" are downright silly when 8-10% of people who could be your customers are alienated right off the top.  I know that if I alienated 8-10% of my potential customers, I'd be looking for a new job.

Thundertooth #35 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 16:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 4162 battles

View PostDemoriel7, on Jun 05 2011 - 23:39, said:

I completely agree with this post. Any color blind mod should not have RED or YELLOW and GREEN. I cannot tell the difference in game between the green, yellow and red tags currently. I had the other MOD pre-patch where enemies were blue, and this worked for me, as of this last update, i cannot even play the game anymore, and i'm waiting for a mod to again download. Is there a new one?

Yes, there has been a fix to the unofficial mod.  Post #122 or 124 (depending on size of icon you want) have the files you need to make it compatible with the 6.4 update.  First, install the icon pack then install the regular 1.5.  The only thing you have to be careful of is that there a few files with both mod parts contain.  The files from the icon pack always take priority.  If it doesn't work feel free to message me I will be glad to help you.

And just to make your life easier here is the link to those extra files, http://forum.worldof...nd mod__st__120

OneEyedJack01 #36 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 08:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6436 battles
  • [SEA] SEA
I would like to echo my support for user selectable Thickness and colour of the target outline.

Time and time again, I outflank a slower tank, try to snipe at the engine, only to totally lose the target outline against a busy green background and get killed instead while searching for my target. This is terrible in particular when you have to hit a specific spot on an IS or Tiger and you are in a smaller tank or TD.

Please, please, please incorporate a fix soon. There are some styles of play and roles that cannot be attempted without dismal results until this is resolved.

honu #37 Posted Jun 11 2011 - 16:54

Private

• Players
  • 6025 battles

View PostOrion1008, on May 27 2011 - 17:32, said:

I am colorblind myself. I use this mod and haven't had a problem since.

I say shame on the developers for being behind the ball on something this simple.

Hopefully when they implement this they don't ruin something else. Seems to be the devs recent course of action, "fix" one thing and another breaks.

Which "patch" did you use?  I haven't been able to implement a fix yet... I must be doing something wrong...

honu #38 Posted Jun 11 2011 - 17:24

Private

• Players
  • 6025 battles
I too am colorblind (red/green) and can NOT distinguish between friend and foe.  I think the optimum remedy would be if users could change the default colors AND symbol of friend and foe. However, I realize that time and expense constraints may dictate that this optimum solution my not be feasible.  A user defined friend/foe color scheme should suffice.  

Overlord .... Thank you for you and your team's efforts and concerns in attempting to address the color-blind player community's difficulties.  I realize that color-blindness affects but a tiny portion of your users and it may not be financially prudent or profitable to address the issue.  Thank you again....

boybland #39 Posted Jun 15 2011 - 00:34

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 1234 battles

View PostVweegit, on Jun 09 2011 - 00:26, said:

I have this nagging suspicion that they see this solution is the best, but they don't wish to devote resources to changing the core of their interface.  Being wholly unfamiliar with their program, I would say they probably hardcoded alot of this stuff and it will be time-consuming (read: expensive) to change.  

If that is not the case, they're just being hard-headed over it, I guess.  Phrases that include things like "our vision" are downright silly when 8-10% of people who could be your customers are alienated right off the top.  I know that if I alienated 8-10% of my potential customers, I'd be looking for a new job.

If you look at the mod (or at least the one I downloaded before the last patch) what it appears to do is alter colours and possibly other entries in some of the XML preferences files.  There seems to be a small amount of complication to this though, as the game would hang a fair bit if I modified them myself, but by looking at this it doesn't look like it is hard coded as such, it shouldn't be a great stretch to add colours to the preferences panels that modified the preferences files in the same manner, they have added other preferences settings in the last patch after all.

Jonte #40 Posted Jun 15 2011 - 04:33

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2231 battles
  • [EHJ] EHJ
I can't wait for an official fix to come to our problem.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users