Jump to content


SU-76i Guide/Review: A Clubbing Hero


  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

VIA_ #1 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

SU-76i Guide/Review: A Clubbing Hero

 

Table Of Contents:

Spoiler

 

 

 

Introduction: 1.1

 

I got home from a jog at around 12:18am and was relaxing after a good day. I decided on a gander to catch up on FTR before bed and saw that there was an entry for the SU-76i, deciding that I had not monetarily supported Wargaming.net recently I would pick it up. I then go to bed.

 

Fast forward five hours later. It turns out it's been pulled from the gift shop for being too good. Wargaming.net pulled a tank from mass sales in less than 40 hours for the RU cluster and less than 24 hours for the EU/NA clusters. That is a record for the game's history for how fast a tank is pulled from public consumption. Draw your own conclusions but that is extremely fast decision making after it was known that there was a problem.

 

Was it justified? Yes. This tank is in the same category as the BT-SV and Pz IIJ. Nuff said.

 

Overview: 1.2

 

What you get is an above average T3 TD mixed with Pref MM. What results is that it is sheltered from the T5s and is able to utterly demolish "newer" players with absolute impunity. There is no chance of reprisals from higher tiers as 2/3rds of the time you will be top tier.

 

The vehicle itself has almost nothing but positives: Armor, gun and average mobility. With very few practical negatives to it's name: View range, vehicle weight and being a fixed-casemate Tank Destroyer. Other than those few drawbacks, it has just about everything else going for it.

 

It also has some hidden strengths too; surprisingly fast traverse speed and because it's not slow. It can be moderately useful in ramming targets. It really does have everything going for it. #Yoottsfault ;)

 

Pros & Cons: 1.3

 

Pros:

+ Average T3 TD Gun

+ Above average armor

+ Pref MM: BTs 3-4

+ Good Camo Values

+ Good traverse speed

+ Heavy: 22.78t, Good at ramming

+ Modules are resilient

+ Good gun arc: 20°

 

Cons:

- Bad View Range: 300m is crap

- Average HP/T ratio of 13.17 is just average

- Terrain Resistances: They're average

- Non-turreted TD problems
- Heavy: 22.78t~, slow acceleration

 

Mobility: 1.4

Spoiler

 

Gun: 1.5

Spoiler

 

Armor: 1.6

Spoiler

 

Matchmaking: 1.7

Spoiler

 

Crew Skills & Equipment: 1.8

Spoiler

 

Fighting Against SU-76i: 1.9

Spoiler

 

Internet Credibilityz: 2.0

Spoiler

 

Videos: 2.1

Spoiler

 

The Future: 2.2

Block Quote

 - nobody knows what will happen to SU-76i now

 http://ftr.wot-news..../11/14/mini-qa/

 

As of November 14th, 2014 @ 2:33am, it is not immediately known what will happen to the SU-76i. I personally speculate that the vehicle will be rebalanced in some way, maybe not soon but I would be very surprised if it isn't.


Conclusion: 2.3

 

Personally, I feel that this tank is way above average and it becomes a real monster on certain maps: Ensk, Himmelsdorf, especially Mittengard and other Closed-in maps. Open maps like Malinovka, Prokh, etc are still decent but it's difficult as there aren't any "obvious" places to operate in aside from the normal Tank Destroyer positions.

 

The SU-76i is an above average vehicle and when combined with 'Preferential Matchmaking' it becomes way too good. That is the crux of the issue, because it doesn't see T5s, it's not going to get clubbed. It can beat on the 'Newer' and lower tier players with near impunity.

 

In the end, Wargaming.net is still deciding what to do with the tank and how exactly they're going to deal with this issue. So have as much fun as possible with it right now before they nerf it into the ground.

 

Bottom line is that that releasing the SU-76i for public consumption was a mistake.

 

 

Changelog:

Dec 29th,2014 - Poasted Mittengard HD replays. Thanks Matsu_Chan. Write-up pending.

 

Sources:


Edited by zGarmin, Jan 05 2015 - 05:03.


Willy_W_Wonka #2 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 49215 battles
  • 11,476
  • [_D_] _D_
  • Member since:
    10-15-2013

Clubbing is what keeps the fun going and fueled by tears of tomatoes :trollface:

 



General_Walton_H_Walker #3 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 16529 battles
  • 4,161
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013
I still have yet to play mine. Havent quite mustered the strength to commit to a tier 3 battle.

VIA_ #4 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View Postyoggraid, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:15, said:

Clubbing is what keeps the fun going and fueled by tears of tomatoes :trollface:

 

 

You have no idea, I've had to turn off my Random Battles chat sorta because of that :teethhappy:

 

View PostGeneral_Walton_H_Walker, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:15, said:

I still have yet to play mine. Havent quite mustered the strength to commit to a tier 3 battle.

 

Oh come on, how bad could it be? ;)

GP_Large #5 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:19

    Captain

  • Players
  • 59884 battles
  • 1,761
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

Thanks for the guide...  Ought to submit this to the WIKI...

 


 

Somebody posted about it when I was lurking in the forums.  I bought it.


 

They will have to nerf it.  It's way too OP... Way, way too OP..... I expect the Nerf in the next patch so they can start selling it again...


 

But humorous and fun to club in for now....  I have a two skills crew I play in it.  Hilarity ensues...



stalkervision #6 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 71467 battles
  • 9,815
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

 

 yes, it's pretty good but lately it seems that's it's "preferential MM " has been lets just say... "adjusted"

 

 the mix of tanks it was seeing are not good clubbing material

 

 When I first got it this was not the case whatsoever

 

 bring back the FUN! :)

 

 


Edited by stalkervision, Nov 13 2014 - 23:22.


VIA_ #7 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View PostGP_Large, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:19, said:

Thanks for the guide...  Ought to submit this to the WIKI...

 


 

Somebody posted about it when I was lurking in the forums.  I bought it.


 

They will have to nerf it.  It's way too OP... Way, way too OP..... I expect the Nerf in the next patch so they can start selling it again...


 

But humorous and fun to club in for now....  I have a two skills crew I play in it.  Hilarity ensues...

 

NP man, hope that you found some value in it :)

 

But yes, I agree with you. In it's current iteration it's honestly better than everything else at T3 with Pref MM to boot.

 

Glad that your having your fun with it and that's a nicely skilled crew too ;D

 

View Poststalkervision, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:20, said:

 

 yes, it's pretty good but lately it seems that's it's "preferential MM " has been lets just say... "adjusted"

 

 the mix of tanks it was seeing are not good clubbing material

 

 When I first got it this was not the case whatsoever

 

 bring back the FUN! :)

 

 

 

Anecdotally, I agree with you that the MM seemed a lot more generous when it was first introduced. Not quite so right now. I still need to build up a bit more of a sample size to really analyze it's average battle tier.

 

I hope that the fun never left for you though ;)



GP_Large #8 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:27

    Captain

  • Players
  • 59884 battles
  • 1,761
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

View Poststalkervision, on Nov 13 2014 - 13:20, said:

 

 yes, it's pretty good but lately it seems that's it's "preferential MM " has been lets just say... "adjusted"

 

 the mix of tanks it was seeing are not good clubbing material

 

 When I first got it this was not the case whatsoever

 

 bring back the FUN! :)

 

 

 

Have you seen Tier 5?


 

 

I have like 20 battles in it...  I don't think more than 3 or 4 were Tier 4...


 

If I was better a better player I prolly ought to have a 90% w/r... I easily averaged 4 kills a game...



VIA_ #9 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View PostGP_Large, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:27, said:

 

Have you seen Tier 5?


 

 

I have like 20 battles in it...  I don't think more than 3 or 4 were Tier 4...


 

If I was better a better player I prolly ought to have a 90% w/r... I easily averaged 4 kills a game...

 

Naw, currently it still has it's Pref MM. So you will only ever get T5 if you platoon with vehicles that have different MM.

 

And yeah, in a dedicated platoon of three I can definitely see 85%+ w/r.



polarticus #10 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:43

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5404 battles
  • 732
  • Member since:
    07-23-2011
Good write up.

I'm pretty mad I missed this tank simply because I'm a collector.

_Knobby #11 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:44

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14571 battles
  • 1,540
  • Member since:
    07-28-2011

Germin are padding nube.

Only can play well on mines huehue.



VIA_ #12 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View Postpolarticus, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:43, said:

Good write up.

I'm pretty mad I missed this tank simply because I'm a collector.

 

Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed it :)

 

You also have my condolences, I have a lot of sympathy for all the tank collectors that missed out :/

 

View Post_Knobby, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:44, said:

Germin are padding nube.

Only can play well on mines huehue.

 

Sooooo rood! It's so not true either, I can do good on other maps... Sometimes... =P

 

That hurts my feelangs m8 lawl



hobowankenobi #13 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:50

    Captain

  • Players
  • 47219 battles
  • 1,799
  • [ANTI] ANTI
  • Member since:
    11-17-2012

Will the nerf be removing preferred MM?  And/or something else?  

 

Enjoy it while you can......I used to love my Ram II, but when MM changed and it got thrown into the deep end, it went from being trollish if not OP, to out classed and out gunned.  The fun went too.


Edited by hobowankenobi, Nov 13 2014 - 23:53.


_Knobby #14 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:51

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14571 battles
  • 1,540
  • Member since:
    07-28-2011

View PostzGarmin, on Nov 13 2014 - 23:47, said:

That hurts my feelangs m8 lawl

If it makes you feel any better, I like the subtle change in forum profile image.



elijahbiker #15 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:51

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12538 battles
  • 191
  • Member since:
    01-15-2013
Great job ZGarmin maybe we can platoon some time with them :D

VIA_ #16 Posted Nov 13 2014 - 23:58

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View Posthobowankenobi, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:50, said:

Will the nerf be removing preferred MM?  And/or something else?  

 

Enjoy it while you can......I used to love my Ram II, but when MM changed and it got thrown into the deep end, it went from being trollish if not OP, to out classed and out gunned.  The fun went too.

 

I could definitely see them removing the Pref MM and leaving the vehicle as it is. However, if they want to keep the Pref MM. They're going to have to change the armor configuration and do something about it's mobility. This would bring it a bit more in line with the Fcm Pak40.

 

View Post_Knobby, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:51, said:

If it makes you feel any better, I like the subtle change in forum profile image.

 

Twilight Sparkle says hi ;)

 

View Postelijahbiker, on Nov 13 2014 - 14:51, said:

Great job ZGarmin maybe we can platoon some time with them :D

 

Hehe, one of these days man :)

Cupcake_Catastrophe #17 Posted Nov 14 2014 - 19:02

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 14586 battles
  • 34
  • Member since:
    03-21-2011
If I may add my two cents on the su-76i and balancing it out, I think the best thing to do would be to change it to tier 4 and give it the same MM as the Valentine II and Panzer B2. Nothing on the 76i needs to be changed. I feel this would be the best way to "fix" it while still allowing it to be fun. Although it still did ok when I took it into tier 5 games, I feel like tier 5 should be left to its big brother, the su-85i.

VIA_ #18 Posted Nov 14 2014 - 23:58

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View PostCupcake_Catastrophe, on Nov 14 2014 - 10:02, said:

If I may add my two cents on the su-76i and balancing it out, I think the best thing to do would be to change it to tier 4 and give it the same MM as the Valentine II and Panzer B2. Nothing on the 76i needs to be changed. I feel this would be the best way to "fix" it while still allowing it to be fun. Although it still did ok when I took it into tier 5 games, I feel like tier 5 should be left to its big brother, the su-85i.

 

Hmmm, I'd feel a bit better if they raised up it's HP to compensate slightly for being at T4 but yeah. Not a half bad idea.

Triela50 #19 Posted Dec 28 2014 - 22:59

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 9207 battles
  • 6,560
  • Member since:
    04-24-2014
The new map Mittengard was made for the Su-76i I have gotten more top guns on that map then  any other. Get down the hill fast get to a corner and just wait they honestly line up to be shot

Edited by Matsu_chan, Dec 28 2014 - 22:59.


VIA_ #20 Posted Dec 28 2014 - 23:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 20401 battles
  • 4,992
  • Member since:
    06-12-2012

View PostMatsu_chan, on Dec 28 2014 - 13:59, said:

The new map Mittengard was made for the Su-76i I have gotten more top guns on that map then  any other. Get down the hill fast get to a corner and just wait they honestly line up to be shot

 

I've heard that Mittengard is absolutely amazing for the SU-76i, would you mind poasting a replay or two? I'd love to incorporate what you do into this guide, as I have not had the time to play the SU-76i enough to get Mittengard yet due to the ongoing WZ-111 mission. As long as that's okay with you :)




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users