PVE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

Chaosticket #1 Posted May 29 2011 - 09:10

Captain

• Players
  • 20381 battles
  • [RFA] RFA
I think this is a major point that needs to be focused on. Alot of vehicles werent made to be anti-tank, but ingame thats all there. Its both boring after a certain point(the first 10 minutes), and a contradiction of many vehicles' purpose.

Artillery are ment to focus on static positions, not mobile vehicles. Assault guns (like the Stug 3 and ISU-152)are mainly for emplacement destruction with anti tank as a side effect of their heavy armor and powerful guns.

the SPGs are the best example of what should NOT be a PVP tank game, as aside from a few with turrets, and their great range when arc-firing, they are terrible with very little accuracy against moving targets, very long aim time, horrendous reload, oh and to top it all off, no zoom.
-----------------------
Overall I think it would be good to see certain PVE things, like matches against AIs, enemy bases, even use those cosmetic machine guns on every tank to target infantry.

Lacrobat #2 Posted May 29 2011 - 09:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 1648 battles
I like to have Arty in the games, and I don´t see that they have any kind of disadvantage in the matches? Haven´t you seen the countless topics about Arty being too good?

And this is a arcade game, mixing in reality in this game is probably the last thing you should do..

Novacube #3 Posted May 29 2011 - 10:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11610 battles
  • [DRB] DRB
I think this is more a PvP centred game, and personally I never liked any element of PvE in MMORPGs (grinding, who wants to do that?).

Also, when you reach higher tiers, you will be cringing when you are detracked and you know theres an Object 212 out there. While perhaps historically the roles of the tanks may be different, I kinda like how they are pitted here against each other, and let players improvise their tactics, strengths and weaknesses.

Murribernd #4 Posted May 29 2011 - 10:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 148 battles
Maybe AI controlled infantry to mow down with the machine guns that are currently just for show would spice things up?  They could come with antitank grenades and such to make them pose a bit of a threat.

meff727 #5 Posted May 29 2011 - 10:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16445 battles
Historic battles as a singleplayer campaign that can serve as a tutorial and an engaging experience.

Lert #6 Posted May 29 2011 - 11:12

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 36604 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Adding PVE in any of the suggested forms will not only bring MONTHS of work for the dev team (I'd rather they focus on the things they've already promised us like Entwicklung series, US TD's, french tree, british tree etc) but also make the rating for this game go up. Mowing down infantry with your MG indeed. Please kindly go back to your FPS or WWII sim and leave the tanks to us.

Chaosticket #7 Posted May 29 2011 - 11:12

Captain

• Players
  • 20381 battles
  • [RFA] RFA

View PostLert, on May 29 2011 - 11:12, said:

Adding PVE in any of the suggested forms will not only bring MONTHS of work for the dev team (I'd rather they focus on the things they've already promised us like Entwicklung series, US TD's, french tree, british tree etc) but also make the rating for this game go up. Mowing down infantry with your MG indeed. Please kindly go back to your FPS or WWII sim and leave the tanks to us.

I dont think the French or British tanks will really matter, as they would just be sub-divisons of the German or US trees, and several of them are already ingame as gold tanks. Historically the British imported many US vehicles, and the captured French vehicles were used by the german army.
-------------------------------
Every game is an RPG really. playing as a tank, grinding through tech trees to get higher level tanks and transition from the low level, high speed vehicles to the high power juggernauts, and the transition from the early schizophrenic combat to much more skill and patience. Playing an MMORPG like World of Warcraft you go between level 1-85, and the grinding is altered by different enemies and different looks of the areas. In WoT you go between the starter tier 1 tanks, until the tier 10 tanks but its still grinding.

Honestly something other than tank-vs-tank combat would be interesting, even those low tier vehicles would be more useful, such as the M2 medium has 4 machine guns. If you get tired of pvp, switch to pve and vice-versa.

Why would anyone ever make a game that is only pvp? So many pvp games like League of Legends, Combat Arms, and World of Tanks, lack versatility while at the same time pvp matches are won and lost not as much your own ability, but the team. Thats just my criticism of every pvp game ever made.
----------------------
And as for SPGS, they have the most extreme variability in games. Ideally enemies stop, you have an excellent radio, and your teammates scout for/defend you, and you wreck alot of enemies. Early on you quite likely wont have the credits for the extremely costly radios, your teammates will abandon you, and youll even be in a heavy urban map were your gun is blocked.

nickiiepoO #8 Posted May 29 2011 - 11:17

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7223 battles
nvm.

brain fart.

Elysion #9 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 5966 battles

View Postmeff727, on May 29 2011 - 10:58, said:

Historic battles as a singleplayer campaign that can serve as a tutorial and an engaging experience.

This is a good idea. It can give the player exposure to different high tier tanks also to help them decide which direction to go down the tree. Hopefully having to play higher teir spgs will stop people complaining about them =P

TheCheez #10 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Haven't they already announced AI controlled gun emplacements were in development?

Sicarius #11 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 401 battles
This is the worst thread to ever meet my eyes.

Go back to WoW.

TheHasegawaEffect #12 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 8136 battles
Turn on Coax and Hull MGs, and a platoon of 4-6 tanks have to accomplish a set of random objectives.

One in 10 infantry will have AT weapons. Armored cars, Halftracks, and AT Emplacements will be the main enemies, and once in a while you will have to deal with actual enemy tanks. This gives people a valid reason to carry around HE shells, ie to deal with infantry/buildings/bunkers and light vehicles. Also, we could have air raid warnings at random intervals and have the players scramble for cover.

No respawning.

Of course, these are just ideas. Actual implementation will be up to the devs. AFAIK, Boss tanks were mentioned a while back, but nobody knows what they are beyond wild speculations of KV-Monsters and Rats (I still think it's 15 of us against one M1A2 Abrams tank).

thetap #13 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15209 battles

View PostLert, on May 29 2011 - 11:12, said:

What if instead of infantry they were escaped zoo animals wearing helmets. Surely that wouldn't affect the game's rating.

Also, have grateful ladies throw their underwear onto your tank as you drive past their building.

Lert #14 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:24

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 36604 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postthetap, on May 29 2011 - 12:18, said:

Surely that wouldn't affect the game's rating.
Yes it will, because you'll still be taking the game from 'fantasy violence against unliving machines' to 'realistic violence against living creatures'. Awwww, look at the cute widdle seal going SPLAT underneath my tracks! Look at his cute widdle guts dripping from my drive sprocket!

Chaosticket #15 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:25

Captain

• Players
  • 20381 battles
  • [RFA] RFA
very good. There are alot of targets other than tanks, static and semi-model anti tank guns, armored cars, weapon emplacements, etc.

Sicarius #16 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 401 battles

View Postthetap, on May 29 2011 - 12:18, said:

What if instead of infantry they were escaped zoo animals wearing helmets. Surely that wouldn't affect the game's rating.

Also, have grateful ladies throw their underwear onto your tank as you drive past their building.

Winner.

Seriously- Those of you asking for PvE more than likely don't enjoy games of a competitive nature. You're the same people that go into games and ruin PVP for everyone else, because you amass into one large carebear transformer on the forums pissing and moaning about how hard and unbalanced the game is, and how you wish there was PvE training. Then, months later, you want PvE battles to have the same affect that PvP battles do, thereby having to not be anywhere near as good as the people who PvP and still get the same tanks.

Forget it.

thetap #17 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15209 battles

View PostLert, on May 29 2011 - 12:24, said:

Yes it will, because you'll still be taking the game from 'fantasy violence against unliving machines' to 'realistic violence against living creatures'. Awwww, look at the cute widdle seal going SPLAT underneath my tracks! Look at his cute widdle guts dripping from my drive sproket!
What if they were stuffed escaped zoo animals wearing helmets? Animate their galloping awkwardly so there's no confusion.

Jetfire13 #18 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:30

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14021 battles

View PostChaosticket, on May 29 2011 - 11:12, said:

I dont think the French or British tanks will really matter, as they would just be sub-divisons of the German or US trees, and several of them are already ingame as gold tanks. Historically the British imported many US vehicles, and the captured French vehicles were used by the german army.
-------------------------------
Every game is an RPG really. playing as a tank, grinding through tech trees to get higher level tanks and transition from the low level, high speed vehicles to the high power juggernauts, and the transition from the early schizophrenic combat to much more skill and patience. Playing an MMORPG like World of Warcraft you go between level 1-85, and the grinding is altered by different enemies and different looks of the areas. In WoT you go between the starter tier 1 tanks, until the tier 10 tanks but its still grinding.

Honestly something other than tank-vs-tank combat would be interesting, even those low tier vehicles would be more useful, such as the M2 medium has 4 machine guns. If you get tired of pvp, switch to pve and vice-versa.

Why would anyone ever make a game that is only pvp? So many pvp games like League of Legends, Combat Arms, and World of Tanks, lack versatility while at the same time pvp matches are won and lost not as much your own ability, but the team. Thats just my criticism of every pvp game ever made.
----------------------
And as for SPGS, they have the most extreme variability in games. Ideally enemies stop, you have an excellent radio, and your teammates scout for/defend you, and you wreck alot of enemies. Early on you quite likely wont have the credits for the extremely costly radios, your teammates will abandon you, and youll even be in a heavy urban map were your gun is blocked.

Seriously you just said the british 'just imported' US tanks? Wow you need to read up on history the only tank the british ever used was their own version of the sherman (17pdr ftw!)and M3 grant cause the US can't make anti-tank guns for shot back then. Not to mention 90% of british armour was in another league better than US tanks until after the war oh and the british had more kinds of tanks than the US :)

Lert #19 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:32

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 36604 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postthetap, on May 29 2011 - 12:27, said:

What if they were stuffed escaped zoo animals wearing helmets? Animate their galloping awkwardly so there's no confusion.
Uh ... I thought you were smarter than to honestly suggest this kind of rot. Clever trolling, I salute you for it. I almost fell for it.

Zergling #20 Posted May 29 2011 - 12:38

Major

• Players
  • 16684 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSicarius, on May 29 2011 - 12:27, said:

Winner.

Seriously- Those of you asking for PvE more than likely don't enjoy games of a competitive nature. You're the same people that go into games and ruin PVP for everyone else, because you amass into one large carebear transformer on the forums pissing and moaning about how hard and unbalanced the game is, and how you wish there was PvE training. Then, months later, you want PvE battles to have the same affect that PvP battles do, thereby having to not be anywhere near as good as the people who PvP and still get the same tanks.

Forget it.

Lemme guess, you played Eve Online under the impression it was a pvp only game?