Guide Review Tutorial Tips Taugrim Unicum Road to Unicum

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

JoreyK #121 Posted May 12 2016 - 20:20

Captain

• Players
  • 20535 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Yay! I'm featured on the Taugrim Youtube channel, my 15 minutes of fame! :medal:

Another awesome vid, the last part was great team work!

taugrim #122 Posted Feb 17 2017 - 09:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #33: Luchs Guide / Review, Playing the Long Game When Bottom Tier

I review the Luchs, a tier 4 German light tank, with a replay of a tier 7 Tundra battle.

The Luchs is an incredibly mobile burst damage dealer, but the player needs to manage the autocannon carefully. By applying the tactics discussed in this guide, I averaged a 4k WN8 and 70% win rate through 100 solo battles with silver ammo only.

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ superb turning radius

+ excellent burst damage per clip (300)

+ excellent top speed

+ good silver ammo penetration relative to its peers

+ good acceleration

+ good camouflage

+ good frontal gun depression of -8, goes up to -10 on the sides

- long clip reload (~16 sec)

- very poor accuracy (0.50)

- gun handling is poor, lots of reticle bloom on movement

- very susceptible to being tracked

- somewhat large profile for a light tank

Recommend Equipment

1. Optics

2. GLD

3. Vents: the best of the remaining options, given that the tank can't mount a Rammer and it's an excellent active scout so Binocs and Camo Net don't provide as much value

Errata

1. Reload for the autocannon is ~16 sec not 20 sec

2. Per fstd on Reddit: VERY important thing that [Taugrim] neglected to mention: The 30mm cannon has a limited range, the shells just disappear after about 420m IIRC (you can see the exact range in-game if you right click on the gun). XVM users can set it up to provide you with a circle that indicates this range. The gun isn’t just bad at sniping – it is quite literally incapable of it. Don’t even bother shooting at stuff outside of view range, because the gun’s range is definitely less than 445m

Edited by taugrim, Mar 09 2017 - 17:26.

taugrim #123 Posted Mar 09 2017 - 17:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #34: SP I C Guide / Review, Why Defending Correlates With Winning

I review the SP I C, a tier 7 German light tank, with a replay of a tier 8 Winterberg battle.

Stat line: Ave Tanker, 4.2k damage, 4 kills, 3 spots, 100 defense points

In this guide, I discuss the unique playstyle of the SPIC due to its limited active scouting capability and its superb 3-shell autoloader.

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Excellent silver AP penetration (180)
+ Excellent burst damage (720 in 6 seconds)
+ Excellent gun depression (-10)
+ Very manageable clip reload time (~17 sec) with Rammer equipped
+ Solid gun handling for an autoloader
+ Good top speed
- Lacks acceleration / agility to actively scout safely
- Paper thin armor, very susceptible to overmatch and HE damage
- Prone to ramming damage due to extremely light weight
- Slow AP shell velocity

Recommend Equipment
1. Optics
2. Rammer
3. Vents

Per VBAddict, most Unicums select Vents over VStab as the 3rd equipment, probably due to the 3-sec intra-clip reload, decent gun handling (for an autoloader), and the fact that as a light tank you should often have the 1st-shot advantage. I've tried both and favor Vents.

In this battle I ran with double repair kits, but after getting set on fire 4 times in 80 battles, I switched one of those kits to a fire extinguisher.

churchill50 #124 Posted Mar 09 2017 - 21:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11670 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

Thanks for the awesome vids Taugrim. I'm glad to see you're back. I'm especially looking forward to the video you said you were going to make on the RU-251.

Your vids are what got me from barely green Wn8 to firmly dark blue, back about 5k games ago. I had mostly hit a plateau at that point, but thanks to your vids I was able to make huge leaps in terms of skill. I don't know how many times I have watched your videos, and probably don't want to know, but I've watched each of them at least twice. The amount of information you pack into each video is far and above any other YouTuber I have seen. Keep up the good work.

One thing I noticed in your Luchs video is that you mentioned that you got 4k Wn8 in it, and said that that proves it is an amazing tank. However, that just means that your damage was quite a bit higher than the average damage in that tank, meaning that your Wn8 was insanely high. Its still a good tank, just that reason is not a good one.

taugrim #125 Posted Apr 01 2017 - 04:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View Postchurchill50, on Mar 09 2017 - 20:29, said:

Your vids are what got me from barely green Wn8 to firmly dark blue, back about 5k games ago. I had mostly hit a plateau at that point, but thanks to your vids I was able to make huge leaps in terms of skill. I don't know how many times I have watched your videos, and probably don't want to know, but I've watched each of them at least twice. The amount of information you pack into each video is far and above any other YouTuber I have seen. Keep up the good work.

There are a lot of good YouTubers out there, but I'm glad to hear my videos were particularly helpful to you :)

View Postchurchill50, on Mar 09 2017 - 20:29, said:

One thing I noticed in your Luchs video is that you mentioned that you got 4k Wn8 in it, and said that that proves it is an amazing tank. However, that just means that your damage was quite a bit higher than the average damage in that tank, meaning that your Wn8 was insanely high. Its still a good tank, just that reason is not a good one.

Understood.

The Luchs gets a wide tier spread (tier 4-7 battles), but it can really dominate other tanks in tier 4 and 5 battles moreso than its peers. Really the limiting factor is the poor gun handling, but that's a good thing because if the dispersion were lower the tank would be OP.

taugrim #126 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 20:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #35: T49 Guide, 1st-Shot Opportunities for Max Derpage

I review the T49, a tier 8 American light tank, with a replay of a tier 10 Lakeville battle.

The T49 is a tank many players struggle with due to its very poor gun handling and low accuracy. That said, T49 drivers can leverage the tank's speed and vision control to create first-shot opportunities to mitigate the long aim time.

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Superb max gun depression (-10)
+ HE rounds are devastating against weakly-armored targets and can damage even strongly armored targets
+ HE rounds often inflict crew and module damage
+ Solid mobility / agility
- Very poor accuracy (0.60)
- Glacial aim time (3.6s)
- Long reload (~19-20s)
- Large profile relative to its peers

Recommend Equipment
1. VStab
2. Rammer
3. Optics

Vents is a viable option over Optics if you stack crew bonuses (BIA, Vents, Food). I haven't tried Vents yet as my crew isn't ready for BIA.

I don't recommend GLD as the gun handling is still poor even with it, and you'd have to give up Rammer or Optics. The tradeoff simply isn't worth it.

churchill50 #127 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 21:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11670 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

Very interesting video, Taugrim. I always look forward to another video from you.

I have never tried that position on Lakeville, even though I love scouts. It looks quite effective, so I will have to try it in the future. I also picked up some tips on playing the T49, which is very nice.

However, I noticed a few things that you didn't mention that can help with the tank:

1) The dispersion values are actually decent, besides the turret dispersion values. This means that if you pre-aim your turret and then lock it in the direction you think you'll be shooting (using the right mouse button), you can gain much more accuracy with minimal time spent aiming after you pull out from behind cover. This also means that you should minimize the amount of turret-turning you do, as any turret movement greatly decreases your accuracy. Finally, the horrible turret traverse dispersion values mean that, if you are leading a target, you are better off pre-aiming way ahead of them and then waiting to for them to "catch up" to your reticle. I noticed you weren't doing this when you were leading the T37 on Karelia.

2) I would bring some HEAT rounds with you. They are just as cheap as the regular HE rounds (The prem HE rounds are the expensive ones on this tank), and they can allow you to do a lot more in certain situations. For instance, you can pen the sides and rear of all German tanks except for the Maus and E-100 (E 75 is iffy, and I haven't tried the new VK100.01 P, Mauschen, or Pz VII) with HEAT, whereas HE would be doing very little damage to them. If you are smart with your ammo choice, you can maximize your damage.

3) Once you get Brothers in Arms, Recon, and Situational Awareness on your crew, you can swap out Optics for Vents and still have view range over the 445m spotting cap. Vents does help your gun-handling pretty noticeably, and will also help your reload.

4) There is the possibility of using Cola (the premium food consumable) on this tank. It helps your gun handling and reload quite a bit, which is nice. While it is expensive to run, it is still a possibility if you want to max the tank out.

taugrim #128 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 23:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View Postchurchill50, on Apr 06 2017 - 20:46, said:

I have never tried that position on Lakeville, even though I love scouts. It looks quite effective, so I will have to try it in the future. I also picked up some tips on playing the T49, which is very nice.

However, I noticed a few things that you didn't mention that can help with the tank:

It's the strongest spotting position on the map.

When I'm on the north side I go toward bushes right next to the building at C7, but the problem is there's a gap from the bushes to the building, so if you fire and get spotted, you have to cross open ground to get to hard cover.

1) The dispersion values are actually decent, besides the turret dispersion values. This means that if you pre-aim your turret and then lock it in the direction you think you'll be shooting (using the right mouse button), you can gain much more accuracy with minimal time spent aiming after you pull out from behind cover. This also means that you should minimize the amount of turret-turning you do, as any turret movement greatly decreases your accuracy. Finally, the horrible turret traverse dispersion values mean that, if you are leading a target, you are better off pre-aiming way ahead of them and then waiting to for them to "catch up" to your reticle. I noticed you weren't doing this when you were leading the T37 on Karelia.

Yes, that's a great tip about locking your turret to minimize reticle bloom.

I tend to do what you said about the T37 - aim ahead of where they're going, but I kept expecting him to stop behind a rock when he thought he was safe.

2) I would bring some HEAT rounds with you. They are just as cheap as the regular HE rounds (The prem HE rounds are the expensive ones on this tank), and they can allow you to do a lot more in certain situations. For instance, you can pen the sides and rear of all German tanks except for the Maus and E-100 (E 75 is iffy, and I haven't tried the new VK100.01 P, Mauschen, or Pz VII) with HEAT, whereas HE would be doing very little damage to them. If you are smart with your ammo choice, you can maximize your damage.

Part of the issue is the long reload. If it weren't so long, or if I knew for sure what my target would be and what areas would be expected, I would use HEAT. I stick to full HE loadout because I know HE can damage anything it hits, and the module/crew damage are 

3) Once you get Brothers in Arms, Recon, and Situational Awareness on your crew, you can swap out Optics for Vents and still have view range over the 445m spotting cap. Vents does help your gun-handling pretty noticeably, and will also help your reload.

4) There is the possibility of using Cola (the premium food consumable) on this tank. It helps your gun handling and reload quite a bit, which is nice. While it is expensive to run, it is still a possibility if you want to max the tank out.

Yes, I'd like to try crew skill stacking if I have a crew with BIA. When I purchased this tank 3 out of the 4 crew members were fresh gold crew members with 0% skill.

I do sometimes run Cola but what I find is that I get lit on fire and it sucks. LOL.

taugrim #129 Posted May 09 2017 - 07:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #36: T71 Unicum Guide, Managing a Poor Team Deployment

I review the T71, a tier 7 American light tank, with replays of tier 8 Fisherman’s Bay and Airfield battles.

Stat line: Ace Tanker, 3k damage, 2k spotting damage, 4 kills

I picked up the T71 for the first time with patch 9.18. It combines good scouting ability with an excellent autoloader. The playstyle fits me like a glove and it’s one of my favorite tanks in the game!

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ Very manageable clip reload of ~19 seconds
+ Excellent burst damage (900 in 10 seconds)
+ Excellent view range (390)
+ Good acceleration and speed
+ Good gun depression (-7) for an autoloader
– Slightly tall profile
– Squishy
– Below average accuracy (0.37)

Recommend Equipment

Optics
VStab
Vents

Avalon304 #130 Posted May 09 2017 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 15441 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Posttaugrim, on May 08 2017 - 22:20, said:

Episode #36: T71 Unicum Guide, Managing a Poor Team Deployment

I review the T71, a tier 7 American light tank, with replays of tier 8 Fisherman’s Bay and Airfield battles.

Stat line: Ace Tanker, 3k damage, 2k spotting damage, 4 kills

I picked up the T71 for the first time with patch 9.18. It combines good scouting ability with an excellent autoloader. The playstyle fits me like a glove and it’s one of my favorite tanks in the game!

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ Very manageable clip reload of ~19 seconds
+ Excellent burst damage (900 in 10 seconds)
+ Excellent view range (390)
+ Good acceleration and speed
+ Good gun depression (-7) for an autoloader
– Slightly tall profile
– Squishy
– Below average accuracy (0.37)

Recommend Equipment

Optics
VStab
Vents

Ive always preferred the T71... the Bulldog was, undoubtedly, better both on paper and overall, being able to clip out many same tier or lower tanks, but the added flexibility the short drum reload gave the T71 made it the better tank in my eyes. I still hate the visual model though... that pike nose looks so silly on a light tank.

Doomslinger #131 Posted May 09 2017 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 57806 battles

View Posttaugrim, on Feb 17 2017 - 04:44, said:

Episode #33: Luchs Guide / Review, Playing the Long Game When Bottom Tier

I review the Luchs, a tier 4 German light tank, with a replay of a tier 7 Tundra battle.

The Luchs is an incredibly mobile burst damage dealer, but the player needs to manage the autocannon carefully. By applying the tactics discussed in this guide, I averaged a 4k WN8 and 70% win rate through 100 solo battles with silver ammo only.

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ superb turning radius

+ excellent burst damage per clip (300)

+ excellent top speed

+ good silver ammo penetration relative to its peers

+ good acceleration

+ good camouflage

+ good frontal gun depression of -8, goes up to -10 on the sides

- long clip reload (~16 sec)

- very poor accuracy (0.50)

- gun handling is poor, lots of reticle bloom on movement

- very susceptible to being tracked

- somewhat large profile for a light tank

Recommend Equipment

1. Optics

2. GLD

3. Vents: the best of the remaining options, given that the tank can't mount a Rammer and it's an excellent active scout so Binocs and Camo Net don't provide as much value

Errata

1. Reload for the autocannon is ~16 sec not 20 sec

2. Per fstd on Reddit: VERY important thing that [Taugrim] neglected to mention: The 30mm cannon has a limited range, the shells just disappear after about 420m IIRC (you can see the exact range in-game if you right click on the gun). XVM users can set it up to provide you with a circle that indicates this range. The gun isn’t just bad at sniping – it is quite literally incapable of it. Don’t even bother shooting at stuff outside of view range, because the gun’s range is definitely less than 445m

The luchs was one of the light tanks that was not nerfed after patch 9.18. It is the same tank as before the patch and has had it's battle tier changed to normal tank mm instead of scout tank mm. So it got an indirect buff because of that. But, the luchs doesn't really care what tier it was in so this probably won't matter much to good luchs players.

taugrim #132 Posted May 09 2017 - 15:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View PostAvalon304, on May 09 2017 - 07:22, said:

Ive always preferred the T71... the Bulldog was, undoubtedly, better both on paper and overall, being able to clip out many same tier or lower tanks, but the added flexibility the short drum reload gave the T71 made it the better tank in my eyes.

I never tried the T71 as it wasn't on a line that I was prioritizing. It makes sense to slot it over in the LT line.

I'm curious to see what WG is going to do with the M41. IMO the right fix would be to adjust the now-too-long clip reload to be commensurate with the clip size.

View PostDoomslinger, on May 09 2017 - 13:23, said:

The luchs was one of the light tanks that was not nerfed after patch 9.18. It is the same tank as before the patch and has had it's battle tier changed to normal tank mm instead of scout tank mm. So it got an indirect buff because of that. But, the luchs doesn't really care what tier it was in so this probably won't matter much to good luchs players.

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering whether the Luchs (and other tier 4s) had their MM adjusted. Tier 4 LTs used to be in such an awkward place with getting matched in battles from tier 4-7 - aside from struggling against tier 7s, it also meant you couldn't platoon with other non-LTs without risking pulling them into a tier 7 battle. So if the Luchs and rest of the tier 4 LTs now get tier 4-6MM, that's great.

If the Luchs was untouched stats-wise in 9.18, then it's even stronger than it was before. The Luchs is an all-time classic tank and SUPER fun to play.

Edited by taugrim, May 09 2017 - 15:43.

taugrim #133 Posted May 15 2017 - 18:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #37: Type 59 Unicum Guide, Playing From a Position of Strength

I review the Type 59, a tier 8 Chinese premium medium tank, with a replay of a tier 9 Highway battle.

Last month I won a Type 59 from the WGLNA Scavenger Hunt. I was eager to try this tank based on its controversial reputation. After 190 battles (58% WR, 2.7k WN8), in my opinion the Type 59 is solid in the current meta but is no longer overpowered. For those of you who don't own the Type 59, don't sweat it - power creep has caught up to it.

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ Superb turret protection, weak spots are very small
+ Excellent credit earner
+ Good gun depression (-7), unusual for a Chinese medium, which marries well with the turret and frontal hull protection
+ Frontal hull armor offers ~165mm of effective armor, even more when angled, and this is solid protection against tier 6 and 7 tanks
+ Preferential MM means this tank never sees tier 10s, although it now feels balanced relative to its MM
– Very long aim time (2.9)
– Poor accuracy (0.39)
– Agility and acceleration are mediocre
– Low DPM compared to other tier 8 mediums

Recommended Equipment

1. VStab
2. Rammer
3. Your choice of Optics, GLD, or Vents. I’ve tried all 3 and favor Optics for vision control, especially when solo queuing. Even with a GLD the gun handling is still suspect

Errata
1. I erroneously referred to the T95 as "Type 95"

Viewers have asked me to review various premium tanks that I don't have in my garage. If you're feeling generous and want to gift me a premium tank, let me know and in most cases I'll be happy to review it.

Edited by taugrim, May 16 2017 - 14:21.

taugrim #134 Posted May 27 2017 - 00:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #38: Thunderbolt Unicum Guide/Review, Bullying Same-Tier Opponents

I review the M4A3E8 Thunderbolt, a tier 6 American premium medium tank, with replays of tier 8 Windstorm and tier 6 Sacred Valley battles.

The Thunderbolt continues Wargaming's recent trend of releasing premiums that are mechanically superior to non-premium peers. The Thunderbolt also comes with a fully-trained crew with "zero-skill" Brother in Arms, so you not only get BIA immediately but that BIA doesn't affect the progression of additional skills.

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Superb frontal hull armor (~155), better than most same-tier heavies, let alone mediums
+ Superb gun depression (-10)
+ Excellent turret armor
+ Excellent gun handling, especially with VStab
- Lackluster acceleration
- Low silver penetration (128)
- Low alpha damage (115)
- Tall profile

The tank's strengths allow for a very comfortable playstyle. You can hull-down or you can brawl with hull angling while bleeding your opponents to death.

Recommended Equipment
1. Optics
2. Rammer
3. VStab

Viewers have asked me to review various premium tanks that I don't have in my garage. If you're feeling generous and want to gift me a premium tank, let me know and in most cases I'll be happy to review it

Edited by taugrim, May 27 2017 - 00:52.

taugrim #135 Posted May 30 2017 - 15:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #39: M4A1 Revalorisé Guide, When to Snipe vs Push

I review the M4A1 Revalorise aka "Ravioli", a tier 8 French premium medium tank, with replays of tier 10 Malinovka and Tundra battles.

Is it worth it? I think so. The Ravioli is a fun tank to play due to its gun characteristics. As a tier 8 premium, it's an excellent credit earner. The Ravioli is purchasable at any time as it's part of the French tech tree.

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Superb alpha damage (390)
+ APCR as silver ammo with very high shell velocity
+ Superb max gun depression (-10)
+ Excellent gun handling
+ Excellent accuracy (0.35)
+ Good view range (390m)
- Squishy
- Large profile
- Low top-end speed (40 km)
- Sluggish acceleration
- Poor hull traverse, circling an opponent ain't happening
- Long reload time (12.8 sec base)

The Ravioli is a "finesse" tank but it fills its role effectively.

Recommend Equipment

1. Rammer
2. VStab
3. Optics

Some Unicums favor Vents over Optics but as you probably know from my prior videos, I place high value on vision control for lights and mediums.

Viewers have asked me to review various premium tanks that I don't have in my garage. If you're feeling generous and want to gift me a premium tank, let me know and in most cases I'll be happy to review it.

Edited by taugrim, May 30 2017 - 15:34.

taugrim #136 Posted Jun 20 2017 - 15:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19367 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

Episode #40: Ranked Battles Guide/Review, Getting to Rank 5+

I review Ranked Battles with replays of three Rank 4-5 battles.

I've reached Rank 6 in Stage 1 and in Stage 2 of Season 1, playing exclusively in the Bat Chat. Ranked has been a steep learning curve for me as I have no experience with Clan Wars (CW), and many CW concepts are applicable in this game mode, e.g. coordinated pushes, counter-spotting, etc.

My performance significantly improved between Stage 1 and Stage 2, so I'm excited to share what I've learned with you.

Stats after 2 Stages

- 12 Rank Points: #331 on NA leaderboard (top 4%)

- 67% Ranked Battle Efficiency

- 58% Win Rate

- 103 Battles in the Bat Chat

- Averages: 2012 damage, 793 spotted, 2.25 spots, 1.31 kills (100% silver ammo)

Ranked Battles has been a lot of fun overall as it's the most competitive context I've experienced in WoT. The players at Ranks 4-5 are quite skilled and this makes for high-quality gameplay. I love that the mode is solo queue so that premades can't drive outcomes.

I discuss several issues with Ranked Battles, including:

1. the current reward system incentivizes selfish play instead of the shared goal of a team win

2. no risk of de-ranking at Rank 5, so players who attain Rank 5 can spam battles to farm Rating Points. Therefore the leaderboard is influenced not only by skill but also by number of battles played. The mode would benefit from a standard ELO implementation where your rank can be impacted by each match based on the outcome / your performance

3. some tanks and classes (notably heavies) struggle to perform without heavy premium ammo usage. This makes the mode a significant credit sink for many participants

Re: #2 above, Ranks from 5 and up should be an achievement, e.g. similar to 3-marking a tank in WoT, but every battle needs to carry de-rank risk for your current rank.

Let me know how your experience has been with Ranked Battles.

Edited by taugrim, Jun 20 2017 - 15:43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users