Jump to content


Taugrim's "Road to Unicum" Videos: Tank Reviews, Replay Commentary

reviews replays commentary tutorial guide Unicum WN8

  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

JoreyK #121 Posted May 12 2016 - 20:20

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20535 battles
  • 1,005
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    02-10-2015

Yay! I'm featured on the Taugrim Youtube channel, my 15 minutes of fame! :medal:

 

Another awesome vid, the last part was great team work!



taugrim #122 Posted Feb 17 2017 - 09:44

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17663 battles
  • 117
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

Episode #33: Luchs Guide / Review, Playing the Long Game When Bottom Tier

I review the Luchs, a tier 4 German light tank, with a replay of a tier 7 Tundra battle.

 

The Luchs is an incredibly mobile burst damage dealer, but the player needs to manage the autocannon carefully. By applying the tactics discussed in this guide, I averaged a 4k WN8 and 70% win rate through 100 solo battles with silver ammo only.

 

Strengths and Weaknesses

+ superb turning radius

+ excellent burst damage per clip (300)

+ excellent top speed

+ good silver ammo penetration relative to its peers

+ good acceleration

+ good camouflage

+ good frontal gun depression of -8, goes up to -10 on the sides

- long clip reload (~16 sec)

- very poor accuracy (0.50)

- gun handling is poor, lots of reticle bloom on movement

- very susceptible to being tracked

- somewhat large profile for a light tank


Recommend Equipment

1. Optics

2. GLD

3. Vents: the best of the remaining options, given that the tank can't mount a Rammer and it's an excellent active scout so Binocs and Camo Net don't provide as much value

 

Errata

1. Reload for the autocannon is ~16 sec not 20 sec

2. Per fstd on Reddit: VERY important thing that [Taugrim] neglected to mention: The 30mm cannon has a limited range, the shells just disappear after about 420m IIRC (you can see the exact range in-game if you right click on the gun). XVM users can set it up to provide you with a circle that indicates this range. The gun isn’t just bad at sniping – it is quite literally incapable of it. Don’t even bother shooting at stuff outside of view range, because the gun’s range is definitely less than 445m

 


Edited by taugrim, Mar 09 2017 - 17:26.


taugrim #123 Posted Mar 09 2017 - 17:23

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17663 battles
  • 117
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

Episode #34: SP I C Guide / Review, Why Defending Correlates With Winning

I review the SP I C, a tier 7 German light tank, with a replay of a tier 8 Winterberg battle.

 

Stat line: Ave Tanker, 4.2k damage, 4 kills, 3 spots, 100 defense points

 

In this guide, I discuss the unique playstyle of the SPIC due to its limited active scouting capability and its superb 3-shell autoloader.

 

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Excellent silver AP penetration (180)
+ Excellent burst damage (720 in 6 seconds)
+ Excellent gun depression (-10)
+ Very manageable clip reload time (~17 sec) with Rammer equipped
+ Solid gun handling for an autoloader
+ Good top speed
- Lacks acceleration / agility to actively scout safely
- Paper thin armor, very susceptible to overmatch and HE damage
- Prone to ramming damage due to extremely light weight
- Slow AP shell velocity

 

Recommend Equipment
1. Optics
2. Rammer
3. Vents

 

Per VBAddict, most Unicums select Vents over VStab as the 3rd equipment, probably due to the 3-sec intra-clip reload, decent gun handling (for an autoloader), and the fact that as a light tank you should often have the 1st-shot advantage. I've tried both and favor Vents.

 

In this battle I ran with double repair kits, but after getting set on fire 4 times in 80 battles, I switched one of those kits to a fire extinguisher.

 



churchill50 #124 Posted Mar 09 2017 - 21:29

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 11096 battles
  • 1,238
  • [NICO] NICO
  • Member since:
    05-17-2014

Thanks for the awesome vids Taugrim. I'm glad to see you're back. I'm especially looking forward to the video you said you were going to make on the RU-251.

 

Your vids are what got me from barely green Wn8 to firmly dark blue, back about 5k games ago. I had mostly hit a plateau at that point, but thanks to your vids I was able to make huge leaps in terms of skill. I don't know how many times I have watched your videos, and probably don't want to know, but I've watched each of them at least twice. The amount of information you pack into each video is far and above any other YouTuber I have seen. Keep up the good work.

One thing I noticed in your Luchs video is that you mentioned that you got 4k Wn8 in it, and said that that proves it is an amazing tank. However, that just means that your damage was quite a bit higher than the average damage in that tank, meaning that your Wn8 was insanely high. Its still a good tank, just that reason is not a good one.



taugrim #125 Posted Apr 01 2017 - 04:58

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17663 battles
  • 117
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postchurchill50, on Mar 09 2017 - 20:29, said:

Your vids are what got me from barely green Wn8 to firmly dark blue, back about 5k games ago. I had mostly hit a plateau at that point, but thanks to your vids I was able to make huge leaps in terms of skill. I don't know how many times I have watched your videos, and probably don't want to know, but I've watched each of them at least twice. The amount of information you pack into each video is far and above any other YouTuber I have seen. Keep up the good work.

 

There are a lot of good YouTubers out there, but I'm glad to hear my videos were particularly helpful to you :)

 

View Postchurchill50, on Mar 09 2017 - 20:29, said:

One thing I noticed in your Luchs video is that you mentioned that you got 4k Wn8 in it, and said that that proves it is an amazing tank. However, that just means that your damage was quite a bit higher than the average damage in that tank, meaning that your Wn8 was insanely high. Its still a good tank, just that reason is not a good one.

 

Understood.


The Luchs gets a wide tier spread (tier 4-7 battles), but it can really dominate other tanks in tier 4 and 5 battles moreso than its peers. Really the limiting factor is the poor gun handling, but that's a good thing because if the dispersion were lower the tank would be OP.



taugrim #126 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 20:55

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17663 battles
  • 117
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

Episode #35: T49 Guide, 1st-Shot Opportunities for Max Derpage

I review the T49, a tier 8 American light tank, with a replay of a tier 10 Lakeville battle.

 

The T49 is a tank many players struggle with due to its very poor gun handling and low accuracy. That said, T49 drivers can leverage the tank's speed and vision control to create first-shot opportunities to mitigate the long aim time.

 

Strengths and Weaknesses
+ Superb max gun depression (-10)
+ HE rounds are devastating against weakly-armored targets and can damage even strongly armored targets
+ HE rounds often inflict crew and module damage
+ Solid mobility / agility
- Very poor accuracy (0.60)
- Glacial aim time (3.6s)
- Long reload (~19-20s)
- Large profile relative to its peers

 

Recommend Equipment
1. VStab
2. Rammer
3. Optics

 

Vents is a viable option over Optics if you stack crew bonuses (BIA, Vents, Food). I haven't tried Vents yet as my crew isn't ready for BIA.

 

I don't recommend GLD as the gun handling is still poor even with it, and you'd have to give up Rammer or Optics. The tradeoff simply isn't worth it.

 



churchill50 #127 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 21:46

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 11096 battles
  • 1,238
  • [NICO] NICO
  • Member since:
    05-17-2014

Very interesting video, Taugrim. I always look forward to another video from you.

I have never tried that position on Lakeville, even though I love scouts. It looks quite effective, so I will have to try it in the future. I also picked up some tips on playing the T49, which is very nice.

However, I noticed a few things that you didn't mention that can help with the tank:

1) The dispersion values are actually decent, besides the turret dispersion values. This means that if you pre-aim your turret and then lock it in the direction you think you'll be shooting (using the right mouse button), you can gain much more accuracy with minimal time spent aiming after you pull out from behind cover. This also means that you should minimize the amount of turret-turning you do, as any turret movement greatly decreases your accuracy. Finally, the horrible turret traverse dispersion values mean that, if you are leading a target, you are better off pre-aiming way ahead of them and then waiting to for them to "catch up" to your reticle. I noticed you weren't doing this when you were leading the T37 on Karelia.

2) I would bring some HEAT rounds with you. They are just as cheap as the regular HE rounds (The prem HE rounds are the expensive ones on this tank), and they can allow you to do a lot more in certain situations. For instance, you can pen the sides and rear of all German tanks except for the Maus and E-100 (E 75 is iffy, and I haven't tried the new VK100.01 P, Mauschen, or Pz VII) with HEAT, whereas HE would be doing very little damage to them. If you are smart with your ammo choice, you can maximize your damage.

3) Once you get Brothers in Arms, Recon, and Situational Awareness on your crew, you can swap out Optics for Vents and still have view range over the 445m spotting cap. Vents does help your gun-handling pretty noticeably, and will also help your reload.

4) There is the possibility of using Cola (the premium food consumable) on this tank. It helps your gun handling and reload quite a bit, which is nice. While it is expensive to run, it is still a possibility if you want to max the tank out.



taugrim #128 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 23:59

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17663 battles
  • 117
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postchurchill50, on Apr 06 2017 - 20:46, said:

I have never tried that position on Lakeville, even though I love scouts. It looks quite effective, so I will have to try it in the future. I also picked up some tips on playing the T49, which is very nice.

However, I noticed a few things that you didn't mention that can help with the tank:

 

It's the strongest spotting position on the map.

 

When I'm on the north side I go toward bushes right next to the building at C7, but the problem is there's a gap from the bushes to the building, so if you fire and get spotted, you have to cross open ground to get to hard cover.

 

View Postchurchill50, on Apr 06 2017 - 20:46, said:

1) The dispersion values are actually decent, besides the turret dispersion values. This means that if you pre-aim your turret and then lock it in the direction you think you'll be shooting (using the right mouse button), you can gain much more accuracy with minimal time spent aiming after you pull out from behind cover. This also means that you should minimize the amount of turret-turning you do, as any turret movement greatly decreases your accuracy. Finally, the horrible turret traverse dispersion values mean that, if you are leading a target, you are better off pre-aiming way ahead of them and then waiting to for them to "catch up" to your reticle. I noticed you weren't doing this when you were leading the T37 on Karelia.

 

Yes, that's a great tip about locking your turret to minimize reticle bloom.

 

I tend to do what you said about the T37 - aim ahead of where they're going, but I kept expecting him to stop behind a rock when he thought he was safe.

 

View Postchurchill50, on Apr 06 2017 - 20:46, said:

2) I would bring some HEAT rounds with you. They are just as cheap as the regular HE rounds (The prem HE rounds are the expensive ones on this tank), and they can allow you to do a lot more in certain situations. For instance, you can pen the sides and rear of all German tanks except for the Maus and E-100 (E 75 is iffy, and I haven't tried the new VK100.01 P, Mauschen, or Pz VII) with HEAT, whereas HE would be doing very little damage to them. If you are smart with your ammo choice, you can maximize your damage.

 

Part of the issue is the long reload. If it weren't so long, or if I knew for sure what my target would be and what areas would be expected, I would use HEAT. I stick to full HE loadout because I know HE can damage anything it hits, and the module/crew damage are 

 

View Postchurchill50, on Apr 06 2017 - 20:46, said:

3) Once you get Brothers in Arms, Recon, and Situational Awareness on your crew, you can swap out Optics for Vents and still have view range over the 445m spotting cap. Vents does help your gun-handling pretty noticeably, and will also help your reload.

4) There is the possibility of using Cola (the premium food consumable) on this tank. It helps your gun handling and reload quite a bit, which is nice. While it is expensive to run, it is still a possibility if you want to max the tank out.

 

Yes, I'd like to try crew skill stacking if I have a crew with BIA. When I purchased this tank 3 out of the 4 crew members were fresh gold crew members with 0% skill.

 

I do sometimes run Cola but what I find is that I get lit on fire and it sucks. LOL.







Also tagged with reviews, replays, commentary, tutorial, guide, Unicum, WN8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users