• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Lert #1 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44735 battles

The in-game Firefly:

VS the Firefly I'm most familiar with from pictures:

Now, the one in the photograph has a very different hull from the one in the game. In fact, if you look at the in-game one, it looks like they took a welded plate hull and welded the front-end of a cast hull on it. You can see the diagonal weld line starting above and behind the drive sprocket, above the first bogey.

Now, my questions are:

- Is that what actually happened with the Firefly WG scanned for the in-game model? I'd be very interested in learning the history behind that particular firefly.

- I was under the impression that all (at least most) Fireflies had the hull as depicted in the photograph; welded plate hull with protrustions for the driver and co-driver. Were different hulls used for the Firefly?

- If so, what hulls? was it just a specific series of Shermans that were converted to Firefly, or was it just a thrown together collection of whatever Shermans they could get their hands on?

- Why does the in-game Firefly have an american M2 HMG on top? Shouldn't it be a british .303 or something instead?

PoLLiToP #2 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20863 battles
paging the chieftain

Life_In_Black #3 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:04

Major

• Players
  • 26288 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
The in-game Firefky is the IC model, not the more common VC model.

Winterpwner #4 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 8605 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO
I do believe that the in game Firefly is the 'first' generation that were converted from standard Sherman hulls. Perhaps the pilot model.

Legiondude #5 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:13

Major

• Players
  • 20522 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostLert, on Dec 22 2014 - 17:00, said:

- Is that what actually happened with the Firefly WG scanned for the in-game model? I'd be very interested in learning the history behind that particular firefly.

The Fireflies you need to google for are called "Firefly Ic Hybrid"

- I was under the impression that all (at least most) Fireflies had the hull as depicted in the photograph; welded plate hull with protrustions for the driver and co-driver. Were different hulls used for the Firefly?

M4(welded and hybrid) and M4A4

- Why does the in-game Firefly have an american M2 HMG on top? Shouldn't it be a british .303 or something instead?

Might have been what was mounted on the vehicle at the time of scanning, or maybe during time of service, or maybe WG was just reusing a model they had on hand

Walter_Sobchak #6 Posted Dec 23 2014 - 00:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 236 battles

The in-game firefly appears to be based on the M4A1 hybrid hull (the Brits called it the Sherman Hybrid Ic).  It consisted of a welded rear with cast front hull.  Some of these were used to create Firefly tanks, although not nearly as were made out of M4A4 Sherman variants.  Oddly enough, there are quite a few of the Ic Fireflies still in existence as monuments.  Anyone interested in looking at some, go check out this PDF.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Sherman_Fireflies.pdf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users