My M26 Pershing - What do I do with it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

ElcomeSoft #1 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 19:28

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have had my M26 Pershing for a few weeks now and have struggled finding my feet in the area of big guns and super heavy armour.

Following the success of my KV Guide last week, I decided to write up a small guide in the same vain for the M26 Pershing.

Before you read this guide, I must admit that I found this guide difficult to write as the way I play the US Medium line is quite an unusual one and one which changes sveral times during a match... unless I die horrifically early on, which happens if I am unlucky or just stupid (usually the latter)... so forgive me if it does not read or flow as well as my previous iteration.

Here it is: M26 Pershing Guide and I hope it helps someone.

SkttLes #2 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 19:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17031 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Pretty much agree with the whole thing. Well written.

Wrath_From_Above #3 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 19:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
You wrote....M26 Pershing Strengths: Mobile and agile, both the tank traverse and turret traverse are excellent. A fast firing gun with high damage, best view range in the game with the upgraded turret (not counting binoculars or coated optics), great at hit and run tactics where cover is available.

The "fast firing gun" is actually the 2nd slowest out of the tier 9 meds......of course the T-54 has the best ROF, speed, and armor. The Panther 2 has just as much damage but is slower at reloading.

As a Pershing driver the only tanks I constantly bounce against are the T-54, IS-7, and Maus.

Daiichidoku #4 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 15123 battles
  • [RTRD] RTRD
cannot agree with your supposition that the Pershing crew should be taken from the T23

remember, that most who get the Pershing will see it "exchanged" for a Patton, and the T23 with the Prshing

you will want to keep your T23 crew in place, its far, far better to lift a crew from the T20 or easy8, esp as they are likely to have higher skill sets than your T23 crew, unless you cashed in exp to jump right to T23 or Pershing, in which case you are not doing yourself a favor; grinding M7-easy8-T20 is the VERY best preparation to properly utilize T23(Pershing) and Pershing(Patton) to the optimal

ElcomeSoft #5 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 20:07

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostWrath_From_Above, on Jun 04 2011 - 19:53, said:

You wrote....M26 Pershing Strengths: Mobile and agile, both the tank traverse and turret traverse are excellent. A fast firing gun with high damage, best view range in the game with the upgraded turret (not counting binoculars or coated optics), great at hit and run tactics where cover is available.

The "fast firing gun" is actually the 2nd slowest out of the tier 9 meds......of course the T-54 has the best ROF, speed, and armor. The Panther 2 has just as much damage but is slower at reloading.

As a Pershing driver the only tanks I constantly bounce against are the T-54, IS-7, and Maus.

Doesn't that also mean that the Pershing's gun is also the second fastest of the Tier 9 Mediums?

View PostDaiichidoku, on Jun 04 2011 - 19:57, said:

cannot agree with your supposition that the Pershing crew should be taken from the T23

Please re-read the guide.

"You will probably bring across your T23 crew to your M26 Pershing"

I am not advising the reader to do anything with this statement. I am just adding in a comment that most people move over their previous tank crew to their new tank.

Daiichidoku #6 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 20:29

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 15123 battles
  • [RTRD] RTRD
please re-read my statement

are you confusing supposition with proposition?

im only trying to point out something that should help a Pershing driver, the point of your thread, no?

plz dont get defensive

Lakel #7 Posted Jun 04 2011 - 23:52

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4750 battles
"I have heard of players using Coated Optics to increase their constant view range to 500m, allowing them to detect threats from a longer distance. As the view range is capped to 500m, I find this to be a little bit of a waste of a module slot, only adding 20m view range onto the already outstanding 480m base."
As usual i dont know what post it was, but dev did say somewhere increasing view range over 500 does increase detection under 500.
Anyone else remember that?

ElcomeSoft #8 Posted Jun 05 2011 - 07:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostLakel, on Jun 04 2011 - 23:52, said:

"I have heard of players using Coated Optics to increase their constant view range to 500m, allowing them to detect threats from a longer distance. As the view range is capped to 500m, I find this to be a little bit of a waste of a module slot, only adding 20m view range onto the already outstanding 480m base."
As usual i dont know what post it was, but dev did say somewhere increasing view range over 500 does increase detection under 500.

so..

Elite Pershing has 480m view range and detects an enemy at 400m.

Elite Pershing with Coated Optics has a 528m (480+48) view range, capped at 500m, but could detect the same enemy at 420m?

(Note: Distance at which the enemy is detected are made up for the purposes of example)

Sort of makes sense. I'll see if I can find someone to ask about it.

ElcomeSoft #9 Posted Jun 06 2011 - 13:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostLakel, on Jun 04 2011 - 23:52, said:

"The thing about optic enhancement is not only does it give you longer (if capped) view range, but also better range at detecting units with camo bonuses - so even if your total max. view range will change only slightly, you will get better at detecting "cloaked" units at a bit longer range."

Tuccy, EU Mod

Guide updated to reflect this new piece of information.