• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

ARGO #21 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 14:42

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10208 battles

View PostIronmonger69, on Jun 07 2011 - 19:30, said:

Players: T-26 “Ironmonger69”

T-26 “Tiny Dancer” – Note: Name has been changed to protect the innocent.

BEGIN!

SPG’s are in the trees as always.  I move up to the church to provide spotting and a little early warning security.  A TD and a medium are positioning nicely for a kill zone near the shifting SPG’s.  I creep around the church and position inside a bush near the front, to better see into the village below.  All is well for 30 seconds.

From nowhere, Tiny Dancer pulls up and performs a beautifully executed parking maneuver precisely parallel to me, and only two meters to my left; he could have been a mirror image.  Minus the concealment, that is.  He’s out (of the garage) and proud; no hiding for him.  The turret is spinning non-stop, left, right, up, down.  I try to imagine what the conversation among that tank crew would be:

Driver: “Oh, look at this vista.  It’s beautiful!  I want to live here.”

Commander: “Indeed.  Oh, look, a butterfly!  Oooo, he’s an energetic one!”

Gunner: “What kind is he?  I wanna see!  Entomology is my hobby, you know.”

Commander: “Wheee!”

Driver: “Are there any birds?  My hobby is ornithology.”

Commander:  “Nope, no, don’t see any…”

Tiny Dancer obviously wants to be a Scooby snack for the enemy SPG’s, but doesn’t want to die alone.  Whistling quietly to myself, I creep back into my fallback position at the rear of the church.  Not ideal, but I can still watch the high road to the north and Tiny can spot anything coming from the village, if it doesn’t spot him first.

However, Tiny Dancer is feeling lonely and immediately backs up to snuggle some more.  The turret is wheeling frantically once again, the gun high in the air.  He’s like some demented Walmart greeter, eagerly waving in the enemy.  “Hiya, and welcome to Malinovka!  Have a wonderful slaughtering experience!”

Donotgreifdonotgriefdonotgrief.   A few seconds pass, nothing to see yet.  Many of our teammates are moving up the south road to the buildings, some fighting in progress.  The enemy will be showing up here any time, and hear I sit with a neon “SHOOT HERE” sign.  I can’t stay, and reverse again into the woods into a third bush.

Tiny Dancer is not through spooning, and returns to my side, a faithful companion I didn’t ask for.  He’s more or less still in the open as well, the turret hyperactive, the gun scanning the trees for kamikaze enemy squirrels.  Surely the enemy will show up any mo…

A PzKpfw III crests the hill from the high road, pointed straight at us.  That one second seemed like an eternity while I pondered if we had been spotted.  Tiny Dancer cared not one whit; he slammed into reverse on sight, mowing down trees as he reversed back into the woods.  In the same instant, the Panzer’s muzzle belched fire as a 50mm round streaked towards Tiny Dancer’s vacated parking space, missing him by inches and detracking me.  Oh, I’m in it now.  I get a shot on him for only a touch of damage.  His next shot knocks out my engine and about 30% of my HP.  There’s nothing left now except to try and take him with me.  My next shot bounces, and then the world evaporates in a red haze as a Wespe drops a 105mm HE round into the smoking vents of my rear deck.

After suffering the grisly fate of many a tanker, the ghosts of my crew hover above their ride and watch in amazement as Tiny Dancer flees over the hills and far away without a scratch, a distinct line of felled trees in his wake.  At least we won in the end.

Lessons Gleaned from the Tiny Dancer Incident (if you’re still reading):

For the inexperienced:
#1 – Cover and concealment are your friends.  Know the difference and use them religiously.
#2 – Hold the right mouse button to look around without moving your turret.  Waving your gun around can reveal your position to any tank in range.
#3 – Don’t bunch up.  Clustered tanks are an SPG’s wet dream.
#4 – Avoid knocking down trees or crushing things whenever possible.  Even if no one can see your tank, they can see that.  Especially SPG’s.  If you’re trying to get away, it will slow you down as well.
#5 - it’s good to watch other players to learn what to do, but please do it at a decent distance.  Oh, and wash out your tank once in a while.  There’s a reason there were no birds flying.  Phew.
#6 – If someone is in the spot you wanted, find another.  It’s that simple, you do not own the real estate.  Learn the whole map by playing in different sectors, and you’ll always have second, third, or fourth choices to fall back on.

For the inexperienced & the experienced:
#1 – Don’t get so distracted watching the bizarre antics of our more colorful teammates that you forget the task at hand.
#2 – Don’t give in to your impulse to grief others.  Contrary to popular belief, venting only makes you angrier and less focused.
#3 – Buy life insurance for your tankers.  Their loved ones will thank you for it
#4 – It’s a game.  Your tank is essentially indestructible.  Relax and enjoy the carnage, and let others enjoy it too.  Laugh at the crazy ones.  If you want to get thuper-therial about it, join a clan and refrain from random battles.

Here’s hoping a humorous story will actually get some newcomers to read some of the numerous advice threads & take it to heart.

Posthumously;
Ironmonger69 and the T-26 Crew

Excellent thread +1 for you Sir, You handled it well.  I cannot tell you how many "Tiny Dancers" I have run into in my time here however I have found that 9 out of 10 of them are fairly inexperienced new players or just someone who likes hanging with identicle tanks...I have actually caught myself doing it a few times.  Players come here to be somewhere where they feel they belong and sometimes they try a little to hard.  Anyway did you ever have dialog with Tiny Dancer? did he do anything in the battle?  You got me hooked on the story and now I am seeking closure :)

Shaviv #22 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2155 battles
It's embarrassing how many times I've been taken out by a swarm of Cunninghams that are driving like idiots and using third-person cam to aim. (You can tell the difference by the way the guns elevate and depress in huge swings, apparently randomly.) So people like Tiny Dancer, if you can get them to focus enough to focus fire, can be dangerous in large numbers.

CaptCrusader #23 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles
Good story. +1 for utilizing your sense of humor expendable.

Had a similar situation playing my Leopard. In Ensk, there are 3 Leos on our team. Oh boy.
Headed out into the city and got to an intersection. Stopped for a moment to decide which way to go. Look behind me, here are the other two Leos. I think, Oooookaaaay. I will just go toward the wooded square with the statue. I often prowl there early on to catch fast movers blitzing through. I get about 50 meters and realize the other 2 Leos are right behind me, like lost puppies, or ducklings.

I stop. They stop. I start to turn right, they turn right with me. I go "WTF guys?" in chat. They both go "we are helping you" or some such response. About that time a KV or some other behemoth comes around the corner. He lights me up but I still have a few hps left so I haul butt. I see the other two's death notifications a few moments later. Wierd moment, never had another like it.

For newcomers, ask first if the object of your affection would like a wingman.

Ironmonger69 #24 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 18:27

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles

Anyway did you ever have dialog with Tiny Dancer? did he do anything in the battle? You got me hooked on the story and now I am seeking closure

Nope.  He survived the battle as I recall, don't think he had any kills.  He might still be in the bushes in the northwestern corner.  I'll check next time I'm there ;)

wade1 #25 Posted Jun 22 2011 - 20:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptCrusader, on Jun 22 2011 - 17:53, said:

Good story. +1 for utilizing your sense of humor expendable.

Had a similar situation playing my Leopard. In Ensk, there are 3 Leos on our team. Oh boy.
Headed out into the city and got to an intersection. Stopped for a moment to decide which way to go. Look behind me, here are the other two Leos. I think, Oooookaaaay. I will just go toward the wooded square with the statue. I often prowl there early on to catch fast movers blitzing through. I get about 50 meters and realize the other 2 Leos are right behind me, like lost puppies, or ducklings.

I stop. They stop. I start to turn right, they turn right with me. I go "WTF guys?" in chat. They both go "we are helping you" or some such response. About that time a KV or some other behemoth comes around the corner. He lights me up but I still have a few hps left so I haul butt. I see the other two's death notifications a few moments later. Wierd moment, never had another like it.

For newcomers, ask first if the object of your affection would like a wingman.
WEll , have to give them credit for trying to work as a team . They just didn't know the roll the leopard plays . Next time take command and disperce them in a fitting manner .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users