Invisible tanks? Really?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

machinedom #1 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 22:47

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am very new to the game (just played 3 matches so far) but in every one of them both my teammate's  tanks and the enemy's tanks were invisible.  I felt like I was driving around in an empty city and then BANG! I was destroyed.  I only have access to the initial 3 tanks and havent upgraded anything yet.  Am I suppose to change something in the game settings to be able to see tanks?

I fear that this is has something to do with camo/upgrades/crew members.......but I need to find more explanation.  If so, then that is very disappointing.  From every gameplay video I saw for tgame it showed larger areas full of tanks fighting and then I get into a game and everyone is invisible!  Is there any way I can join a low level game with other newbs that dont have invisible tanks?  Or is there some way to not allow certain games to have invisiblility?

I have never played a FPS where everyone is invisible and you have to just guess at what you are shooting at, so that is my frustration.  Any tips I can get for being able to see other tanks is much appreciated.

stickjock #2 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 22:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hmmm... invisible ALL the time??  If so... upgrade video drivers may help with that...

Otherwise, check this section ->Battle Mechanics

Section 6 deals with view range and visiblity issues...

As an aside, believe the game still does have a few visibility issues that are being worked on...

Aries13 #3 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 22:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
They are not invisible just out of your visual range. I know you can still see the landscape and the back ground but the tank cannot be seen until it is in your visual range. Get optics and your crew trained higher.

sampak #4 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:01

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
New tanks and crews are only at 50% so yah don't be surprised if you cannot see too far out (tanks that is). Once your crew gets higher skilled you should be able to spot them further away. Also the basic starter tanks don't have that much of a view range. I think most only go up to 240meters, but taking the crew's low training into account (and no, 50% crew is not 50% of tank's stats, it's actually 65% or some sill calculation - check the wiki) and you can't see more than 140 meters away. When I say "see" I mean spotting an enemy with your own tank. If another ally sees an enemy tank, and you're in radio range of that ally, then that enemy tank will show up in your view, and then possibly disappear as it gets out of your ally's range. Just shoot at their last known position and you may just hit them. :)

amazingronaldo #5 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:03

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Easy question that may help us all out, though I think I know the answer. When you start the battle, before anyone has moved, do you see all your allied tanks (the green ones)? If you don't then it is an issue with your machine or installation and not a mechanic of the game.

It sounds like from the OP description his allies are invisible to him too. Which means it can't be the sighting system because you should see any ally tank hiding or not if he is in your view range.

machinedom #6 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:04

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks, those tips help and confirm that I'm not going crazy!

I'm guessing that I just keep getting killed before I can ever get close enough to "see" the enemy.

machinedom #7 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:06

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Yes I can see all of my ally tanks before the game starts.  But once we all start moving they disappear.

Coldhell #8 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The issue is your graphic settings....Try to turn them to low first then medium and see if that works.  I had the same issue and fixed it bit by bit.

RazgrizOne #9 Posted Jun 08 2011 - 23:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
That was the first thing i thought about the game. "Invisible tanks? Really?" But you'll get used to it.  :Smile_honoring:

__Worm__ #10 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 00:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
upgrade your radio also, it helps...

TheRonmasteh #11 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 01:18

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Cant see allied tanks once match starts...           Can you see YOUR own tank?

As said above, its very probably its your graphics cards that cant render the tanks.

Login to WoT > Hit Esc key > Settings > Graphics > Set EVERYTHING to LOW. (There are some things that says another thing instead of low. Really dont remember well. Will be better to search separately a thread about Lowering Graphics settings. Examples: An options says Bilinear, Trilinear, idoknowat (4x) and so on...        Choose Trilinear)

Erasing preferences.xml may work also, but its better to find a Graphics guide in WoT Forums.

(Sorry to not to show you one. Brbing)

1An0maly1 #12 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 01:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAries13, on Jun 08 2011 - 22:56, said:

They are not invisible just out of your visual range. I know you can still see the landscape and the back ground but the tank cannot be seen until it is in your visual range. Get optics and your crew trained higher.

Really? At tier 1?

Thats a fantastic solution, play through a hundred battles and hopefully you'll be lucky enough (not likely) to gather 500k

And that'll raise your view range from... terrible to terrible with a fruit basket.

daVinci761st #13 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 20:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Post1An0maly1, on Jun 09 2011 - 01:59, said:

Really? At tier 1?

Thats a fantastic solution, play through a hundred battles and hopefully you'll be lucky enough (not likely) to gather 500k

And that'll raise your view range from... terrible to terrible with a fruit basket.

Folks. Read the thread. It has nothing to do with his view or radio range, ect.  He is having a graphics glitch issue.

As other's have stated: 1st thing you need to do is play around with your graphics settings. Turn everything onto it's lowest setting possible and see if that doesn't fix the problem. If it does, then you try bumping them up a bit on each of the different settings and maybe seeing exactly where the problem is.  Here's how you get to the menu to change your graphics settings:

Spoiler                     

Spoiler                     

Spoiler                     

Secondly, it could be your video card (aka grahics card) drivers.

I am curious what FPS are you getting when you play WoT?

d34d3th3r #14 Posted Jun 09 2011 - 23:51

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
davinci is right

I'm new too, just played a day or two. When I started I couldn't see the tanks either. Just the tier indicator(which i enabled in options) so I knew where the tanks were... they just weren't visible. However I fixed it by downloading and updating my DirectX, a file called "directX June 2010" or something. I thought I had the most recent version(my laptop is only a year old and I keep everything updated for the games I play).

I then just lowered the graphics settings to Low and rebooted my system, and it worked great. Afterwards I re-adjusted my graphics to High again, and still no problems. My graphics card is decent, radeon hd 4670. So I don't know what it was, I've been playing games far more graphically challenging with no problems. Goodluck and hope this helps

Alfonze #15 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 06:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Machinedom, do your allies disappear the instant they move or do they just move away from you?  That is a very important question to clear up.

Dregbag #16 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 07:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I just got done playing my first game a few mints ago,and I found it very confusing when all the tanks (except mine) went invisible after round started.

ShaunOfTheFuzz #17 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 14:10

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have the same issue, I enter a match, the timer counts down and as soon as it hits zero all the tanks except mine (including friendlies) disappear.
They don't move away, they instantly disappear. I can still see the green markers above them, and when they get really close I can see their green outline on the ground.
I have all settings at max although I tried it with triple buffering disabled.

I'm running:
Nvidia GTX 570,
i7 920,
6gb corsair dominator ram @ 1600mhz,
X-fi sound card.

If my system is the problem I'll buy a hat and eat it. Saying it's hardware is a lazy explanation, I've had a quick search and I'm not the only one with the problem.

Zakume #18 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 16:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostShaunOfTheFuzz, on Jun 16 2011 - 14:10, said:

I have the same issue, I enter a match, the timer counts down and as soon as it hits zero all the tanks except mine (including friendlies) disappear.
They don't move away, they instantly disappear. I can still see the green markers above them, and when they get really close I can see their green outline on the ground.

I'm running:
Nvidia GTX 570,
i7 920,
X-fi sound card.

If my system is the problem I'll buy a hat and eat it. Saying it's hardware is a lazy explanation, I've had a quick search and I'm not the only one with the problem.

Try using low settings, medium settings, and high settings, instead of just maxing everything. If you can fix the problem by tweaking some things, eventually you might come to 1 checkbox or something like AA that might be causing the problem. In your case its obviously not your system, but I would think not all of the options are optimized so it interferes with your hardware, so try different stuff and see what you get. If it still persists, then I'd send in a ticket.

daVinci761st #19 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 21:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostShaunOfTheFuzz, on Jun 16 2011 - 14:10, said:

I'm running:
Nvidia GTX 570,
i7 920,
X-fi sound card.

It is definitely not your system aka your hardware, but it could be software related in relation to your graphic's drivers. Other folks have had issues with the graphic's driver they are using; so, you might want to try a different graphic's driver. However, before you do that, as other OPs have stated. Go into WoT and change your graphics settings first. Drop everything to the lowest settings, launch a game, and see if that fixes your problem. Then start bumping up the settings a little at a time, lauch a game, and see if you encounter the problem when you change a particular setting. The other common problem is that WoT and Windows Vista and 7 do not like WoT being played in window mode; so, if you are playing the game in windowed mode, change it to full screen.

axly27 #20 Posted Jun 16 2011 - 22:44

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
This same issue happened to me when I started playing. As soon as the timer reached zero, all tanks would vanish. I would see flickers of vehicle shadows here and there, and I could always see track marks on the ground.

I, too, thought I had my graphics settings too high, but changing them didn't help. After a couple of game client restarts, it started working fine (on high graphics settings, at that). I dunno what caused it or what the real fix was.