• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Inchon #1 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 16:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24166 battles
  • [ESPRT] ESPRT

Gentlemen,

So far the event has gone very well and has already achieved the three main objectives that we set out to accomplish. The clan wars map has been active, there have been those "epic" or "remeber when" moments in game, and we have already received feedback that multiple Wargaming personnel outside the US are watching this event. However, we know we can make this event better and we wish to do so going forward.

Before we go to far into the event, I want to open up this thread to initial ideas, suggestions and comments so we don't forget them in a few weeks. We are all aware this is the Internet and people very quickly tell us what is wrong, but feel free to let us know the positive things we should continue to do. For example, based on the positive feedback from Stage 2 of Campaign 3, we decided to adopt th HQ "Citadels" for scoring. Topics we are looking feedback include:

• Advertisement of the event
  • Rules/Structure of the event
  • Registration process
  • Team Captain Selection
  • Draft Day Event (not necessarily draft picks)  
  • Inner team communication
  • Publication of media products (Twitch, Forums, etc)

Remember, this is to discuss the overall structure of this event or the future events. This is not to discuss the score or individual team strategy of the current event.

Symder #2 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 16:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9387 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
There was a link to a document with all the detailed rules in the original thread, but this was not kept updated with rule changes that have been made. Please keep rules updated as they get changed, and easily accessible for participants and observers :)

too374 #3 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 16:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22882 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

It would be nice to have one twitch channel hosting streams or an easier way to find where and specifically when different battles are streamed. Civil.wotmanager list the streams that may be streaming battle but many are just streaming and it is difficult to find channel that are currently streaming. 

A Google calendar which streamers enter the time and what battle they are streaming could be a solution. 

Love2run #4 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 16:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26016 battles
As a bystander with limited clan wars experience, I think this is great! I love seeing the videos of the best clans on the server going head to head, and seeing the different styles of play. I also feel that all parties involved have been pretty good sports, including clans that have had a pretty bad rep. I think the success of the event is largely in part because it's the players setting the goals and making the rules, instead of the players trying to find ways through or around the rules. I look forward to seeing how the event continues to develop, and hope that WG is taking notes.

favrepeoria #5 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 16:59

Captain

• Players
  • 27240 battles
The problem with a calendar and times is with all the cover stacks. You truly never know when you could be fighting or if a person gets picked for that fight necessarily. As I stream for RUS when I don't mess it up but I am not a caller.  That means I don't necessarily have a specific fight I will be in cause I could get picked or not.

Huck_ #6 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 34221 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostLove2run, on Feb 19 2015 - 10:56, said:

As a bystander with limited clan wars experience, I think this is great! I love seeing the videos of the best clans on the server going head to head, and seeing the different styles of play. I also feel that all parties involved have been pretty good sports, including clans that have had a pretty bad rep. I think the success of the event is largely in part because it's the players setting the goals and making the rules, instead of the players trying to find ways through or around the rules. I look forward to seeing how the event continues to develop, and hope that WG is taking notes.

The reps were developed when reps still mattered, when clan posturing still dictated ascendancy, respect, and/or anything required to successfully build and maintain a clan community. The people left playing at this level have long histories with each other, so it's very difficult to harbor much :enmity: (hi loz! I see you down there) between combatants. At this point, all CW has left is people with too much shared history to really care about the specifics of a two week event. It's touch football between cousins in their 30s, reliving past holiday memories while their kids roll their eyes at the stories.

too374 #7 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 18:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22882 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Postfavrepeoria, on Feb 19 2015 - 10:59, said:

The problem with a calendar and times is with all the cover stacks. You truly never know when you could be fighting or if a person gets picked for that fight necessarily. As I stream for RUS when I don't mess it up but I am not a caller. That means I don't necessarily have a specific fight I will be in cause I could get picked or not.

That's why I suggest allowing streamers to enter their own streams to at least differentiate when they are streaming cws vs pubs. Even if they just posted ten min before their battle the delay would allow enough time for it to work.

lozarus #8 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 18:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 37914 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View Post_xXx_Huck_xXx_, on Feb 19 2015 - 16:29, said:

so it's very difficult to harbor much :enmity: (hi loz! I see you down there) between combatants.

Oi Oi m8.

DMan360 #9 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 18:55

Captain

• Players
  • 19256 battles
I'm not going to speak on behalf of all the other clans, but I'm guessing others may agree, a big problem I see is the conflict between WGLNA times and Civil War times. While there were breaks on Tuesday and Thursday, the Gold League teams still had practice on the off days and let's not forget about the 3 other Leagues trying to jostle for position to get to the Gold League. I think, for a future event, that it should not be planned during a season of WGLNA, but in the offseason, when players aren't so burnt out and busy with WGLNA. Just my thoughts.

wril #10 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 18:59

Major

• Players
  • 27506 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB

View PostDMan360, on Feb 19 2015 - 17:55, said:

I'm not going to speak on behalf of all the other clans, but I'm guessing others may agree, a big problem I see is the conflict between WGLNA times and Civil War times. While there were breaks on Tuesday and Thursday, the Gold League teams still had practice on the off days and let's not forget about the 3 other Leagues trying to jostle for position to get to the Gold League. I think, for a future event, that it should not be planned during a season of WGLNA, but in the offseason, when players aren't so burnt out and busy with WGLNA. Just my thoughts.

wglna should be in their own little clans like most wglna do

Dirg #11 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 20:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26134 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

WGLNA (and tourneys to a lesser extent) are a cancer on clan wars, always have been. 

Looking back at the more epic wars fought and comparing it to this event is how i come up with this feedback.

1. Land fought over - Wars always had key choke points, limited access landing zones and no go zones of noncombatants you simply could not/would not chip often in very inconvenient locations(-G- for instance in Europe was often this guy). 

- Those who remember the SCC we fought the eastern edge of the map and north vs ssgsfamily as well as mid/south to the west vs forge/goons. This gave the SCC clans a central point to support each other but serious limits in attack lanes to attack out. The goon/ssgs clans were split but could attack from 3 separate angles including the landings behind the SCC. I remember mapping Kbears multiple times to reclear a lost landing for the alliance. I think this flavor would be great for the future and make chip moves more strategic beyond the clan level.

2. Scope - I think 20 is plenty of clans. but you need a more diverse arena. However real though should be put into "rating" a clan. If a loose system can be agreed on by clans involved maybe do 2 events that alternate, one event with top rated clans and another with clans that don't make that cut. No one wants to watch blowouts but I think you could grow even more community support by giving us baddies an arena to play too. Maybe WGing will learn something.

3. Scoring seems somewhat meh to me personally. I would prefer goals "occupy x locations out of y locatiions = win" but that is just me.

I am really impressed that you guys actually got this to happen. I haven't been into CW's since fighting with relic vs havok/simp etc. and this has got me thinking about retooling to do it all over again. So great job and carry on civilians! GOLD STAR!

chandog #12 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 20:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13466 battles

View Posttoo3741, on Feb 19 2015 - 16:40, said:

It would be nice to have one twitch channel hosting streams or an easier way to find where and specifically when different battles are streamed. Civil.wotmanager list the streams that may be streaming battle but many are just streaming and it is difficult to find channel that are currently streaming. 

A Google calendar which streamers enter the time and what battle they are streaming could be a solution. 

I can added the title of their stream, as well as the game they are playing, if this helps at all. 

too374 #13 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 20:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22882 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Postchandog, on Feb 19 2015 - 14:23, said:

I can added the title of their stream, as well as the game they are playing, if this helps at all. 

Thanks, should be helpful.

Pertinacious #14 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 20:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 20768 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

My comment is about the structure of the event - specifically, about the location of the territories. 

Imagine having this campaign (or the next one) on the actual Civil War locations.

Clans could have fought near places like Gettysburg, Blue Ridge Mountains, and Northern Virginia. 

A clan could flank and recreate Sherman's march to the sea. 

Or maybe WG can open up the European map and we can fight on the Eastern Front. 

This won't necessarily change the overall campaign structure too much, but would add a bit of flavor to it. 

Edited by Pertinacious, Feb 19 2015 - 20:38.

Cheekyman #15 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 20:57

Captain

• Players
  • 46942 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

As a participant to this I have to say that I am impressed with the work and effort that has gone into running this event. Kinda came out of the blue to me as id been away from the game, this event brought me back and its been great so far.

My favorite part of this event is the random team v team aspect has brought something fresh and interesting to the cw map, nothing overly complicated just stick a bunch of teams on each side mark out the borders and blam go fite each other. So far everyone has been good sports from what I can tell. The simplicity of this event is something WG should be looking at.

I am hoping that the rest of the event goes this smoothly and that it turns out to be successful, because if that is so then more events can be organised by our community possibly opening up to more clans on a larger scale. Then maybe just maybe clan wars could become interesting again, and not stagnant. 

wril #16 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 21:01

Major

• Players
  • 27506 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB
Favorite part is the draft pick

talonsfire #17 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 21:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 34574 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

Similar to how Neroz is posting a daily summary, in the future if there were to be a twitch broadcast / news show that would review/provide post match highlights, analysis of the matches, discussion of the meta being used by teams on particular maps. 

bulldog1986 #18 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 21:07

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 33375 battles
  • [ESPRT] ESPRT

A few things right off the bat

1st - Allow more time for teams to get in place if you are going to have battle lines, the clan wars map does not always cooperate with how you want it to.

2nd - Limit the amount of cover stacks allowed to 2 per territory

3rd - No neutral territory shall be possessed by either team before the first day of battles (after is fine)

Edited by bulldog1986, Feb 22 2015 - 17:51.

Spinoramic #19 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 21:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8767 battles
Something that should be worked on is the map...or layout of provinces, particularly the HQ's. Having each team's HQ border the other I suppose attracts two good clans together for battles, however as you see this time, one clan quickly gained the HQ from the other and has kept it sense with little to no resistance. Possibly throwing the HQ's in the back of the line would force teams to extend their boundaries in effort to gain those HQ's. I feel this would have a better impact on the war and create a more balanced structure for the event.

Ner0z #20 Posted Feb 19 2015 - 21:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27636 battles
This is rather small but I'd like to see weekly twitch streamed interviews of the two captains where they can talk about things that happened, clans that are performing well and their plans going forward ect.

Also tagged with Civil War

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users