* Glass on Viewports?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

AllPower5 #1 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 09:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm curious : was there any thick glass to block the viewport or the gunner's sight port so no lethal gas can come inside the WW2 tanks? How do the gunner's aim the gun? And what do the driver see through?

Lert #2 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 09:45

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
Yes, there was glass which the crew looked out through. Also scopes and other optics.

AllPower5 #3 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 09:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLert, on Jun 10 2011 - 09:45, said:

Yes, there was glass which the crew looked out through. Also scopes and other optics.

How thick are the glass for the driver and gunner ports? Can a rifle bullet damage the glass? Remember the Saving Private Ryan scene where Tom Hanks come up and shoot into the Tiger driver's viewport? I didn't saw any glass. What happen if the glass got fog up and the driver can't see?

Hirumaru #4 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 09:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Doubtful that WWII tanks would be worried about toxic gas. Such things had been banned after the previous war. Most view ports didn't have the luxury of glass that could shatter on the slightest impact and send shards into your eyes. I would imagine.

Lert #5 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 10:03

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles

Saving Private Ryan

Yes, because movies always show a realistic portrait, right?

Man_of_Balls #6 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 10:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Vision ports were indeed covered with armoured glass.

Tanks also carried replacement vision blocks which they could swap out from the inside, in the event that projectiles damaged a piece of viewing glass.

See this video on Youtube, 2:30 to 3:05:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-4JQbgccR4Y

_DK_ #7 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 10:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
There was glass for most of the hatches, some tanks had periscopes as well.

FreeFOXMIKE #8 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 10:28

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
the view ports "glass" was like your car safety glass but much much thicker it did not (or rarely did) spray glass back but spiderweb it would become useless to view from so the user carried extra the they replace the damaged one with. If I can find it youtube had a German propaganda file from ww2 showing them replacing the commanders view port.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-4JQbgccR4Y

Uploaded by colacas on Aug 31, 2007

ww2 russian infantry antitank tactics fighting a panther german tank crew and the counter measures used by the germans
Category:

Autos & Vehicles
Tags:

worldwartwo
    panthertank
    antitanktactics
    russianinfantry

License:
Uploaded by colacas on Aug 31, 2007

ww2 russian infantry antitank tactics fighting a panther german tank crew and the counter measures used by the germans
Category:

Autos & Vehicles
Tags:

worldwartwo
    panthertank
    antitanktactics
    russianinfantry

License:

Captain_Dorja #9 Posted Jun 10 2011 - 15:06

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The Tiger in Saving Private Ryan was built on the chassis of a T-54/55 MBT. It has some pretty obvious errors in the structure, like the road wheels which are clearly from a Christe suspension, not the evenly spaced, interleaving road wheels of a Tiger. The front idler wheel is also wrong since on a Tiger the idler was at the rear. You can see this when they blow off the tracks with sticky bombs. Great move, not a great source for details in tank designs.

sPzAbt505 #10 Posted Jun 11 2011 - 23:01

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Also, periscopes re usually that - periscopes.  No direct patch from the entry port to the person looking thru it.  Many optical sights are the same way.

The front vision port on a Tiger in indeed open, with no glass in it - there is a armored louver that the driver can put down to protect himself.  When blind like that the driver will then take instruction from the TC.

FreeFOXMIKE #11 Posted Jun 14 2011 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
http://www.youtube.c...EcDcKZjn4c&NR=1

@Doomlord52 #12 Posted Jul 04 2011 - 05:39

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAllPower5, on Jun 10 2011 - 09:53, said:

Remember the Saving Private Ryan scene where Tom Hanks.... blah blah blah

Do not trust that movie for anything. Its got the basic facts down, like how WW2 was actually a war, but other than that, its complete garbage ranking only slightly more realistic than that complete trash-of-a-series that is Band of Brothers (this is from a historical perspective - acting and such is fine).

Grigori #13 Posted Jul 05 2011 - 21:11

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDoomlord52, on Jul 04 2011 - 05:39, said:

Do not trust that movie for anything. Its got the basic facts down, like how WW2 was actually a war, but other than that, its complete garbage ranking only slightly more realistic than that complete trash-of-a-series that is Band of Brothers (this is from a historical perspective - acting and such is fine).

Can't think of anything off the top of my head wrong with BoB, other than some conflicting reports of battles taking place in the day/night. The biggest complaint about the series I ever see is people whining that no Americans ever die, and that's just flat-out not true. In any given battle scene we see more Americans die than we see German.

Jeeps_Guns_Tanks #14 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 20:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Most US tanks had fully rotating parascopes that popped up out of the hull or their hatches. Later version of the tanks still had the parascopes, but also had a cupola that had armorered glass view ports for the commander, it also had a big rotating parascope built into the hatch. They carried spare glass and parascopes in the tank.

Germans had a similar setup, but no glass view ports on the cupola, just more parascopes and theirs didn't rotate.

Jeeps_Guns_Tanks #15 Posted Jul 11 2011 - 20:57

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostGrigori, on Jul 05 2011 - 21:11, said:

Can't think of anything off the top of my head wrong with BoB, other than some conflicting reports of battles taking place in the day/night. The biggest complaint about the series I ever see is people whining that no Americans ever die, and that's just flat-out not true. In any given battle scene we see more Americans die than we see German.

If I recall correctly, the historian for the 101s had some bad blood going with the producers and put out a site outing all the flaws... from what I recall, it was very minor stuff like the patches not being exact or the uniforms being not perfect. Very minor stuff, and the whole site came off like he was pissed they didn't consult him. I think he had it out for Ambrose too..

That's all from Memory though, and I can't find the site anymore.